Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

G.P. Giles 202 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

G.P. Giles 202 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 10:35 PM
rfw1953
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: G.P. <span class=

Scott, in a previous thread I pretty much explained what this airplane is and isn't. Just being honest, but I wouldn't hesitate in recommending it to a fellow pilot as long as you understand these things. Geistware had one with a gas engine. After flying several flights he sold it to Diablo who put a 160 in it. I talked to GP early in the history of this plane when I had a wing failure. It was just a bad piece of balsa and GP replaced everything since I had an engine within the recommended range. There is a history of wing failures when guys have put over-sized gas engines on the nose. IMHO the airframe just isn't designed to support a gas engine.

The mods required are simple and add about an hour to the assembly process. With the 160 these mods are more than adequate to add strength to make it a fun reliable airplane.

If you put a 160 on the nose you will be pleased with the power, but again, I don't feel this is a 3-D airplane. If the elevator throws are set too aggressively it snaps easily. Because of it not being a great candidate for a more powerful gas engine and because you won't want aggressive elevator throws I feel this disqualifies it for being a good 3-D candidate, if this is what you are looking for.

For a low cost 1/4 scale aerobatic airplane that flies and looks great you will be hard fetched to find a better value than the Giles.

I recently completed a WM Extra 300S with 80.5" WS. This plane cost 399.00, but I got a deal on mine at 345.00. In contrast, the Giles cost I believe 220.00. The WM is a much better airplane and could easily handle a 50 cc engine. Hope this additional info helps.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:37 PM
scottfl78

thanx a lot... I'm trying to take this and all of the other postings and threads in...
Old 10-14-2006, 02:13 AM
Blueyonder
My Feedback: (3)

I've had the GP Giles 202 NIB in my garage for 4 yrs. now. Well, I am finally dusting it off and am wanting to put this thing together finally. This thing is built like a tank and feels like it will weigh as much as the space shuttle when it's all done. I'll be using the OS 160 on it..... After reading through this thread I'm assuming the 160 will fly it okay. I won't be doing any 3d... just some sport IMAC aerobatic stuff. I'm in Denver so I have the altiitude to factor in. Any comments welcome on if the 160 will be enough engine for the Giles. Also, is the stock tank (16 oz) big enough or should I go with a larger tank?

All comments welcome.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:01 PM
Dave Barrow-RCU

I also have this plane NIB that I am going to put together. I have a 120 OS Surpass laying around, will this fly it in a scale manner? I'm NOT looking for 3D capability, just a good sport flyer.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:15 PM
LUDS96
My Feedback: (23)

Built nice and light it should be a nice flyer with the OS 120 Surpass. The key is to keep it light.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:41 PM
Dave Barrow-RCU

Thanks
Old 11-04-2006, 08:43 PM
huminski

I've got the GP 202, have been flying it for about a year now. Saito 1.80 F/S. I see no signs of any damage near the wing saddle or wing itself. Regardless, I love this plane, probably my favorite ever, and am definitely going to do these mods on it before I fly it again. I don't want to lose it to something I could have prevented. Here's a pic of mine from about 2 weeks ago. I love the way it flies and with the 1.80 on it, it is more capable than I am at this point...

Old 11-04-2006, 11:28 PM
Blueyonder
My Feedback: (3)

Huminski,

Thanks for the pic and comments. Nice looking Giles... Good to hear you are pleased with the plane. I have one under construction and will be using the OS 1.60.

Joe
Old 11-05-2006, 09:27 AM
Bob Yeager
My Feedback: (5)

Here's mine, along with a few of my "Homies". I've had this from back in the days when you could get them delivered to your door for $185.00. I did all the mods described in this and the other threads. It has an O.S. 1.60.

Many thanks to Roger (rfw1953) for his help and encouragement on this project.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26624.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	554638  
Old 11-05-2006, 10:34 AM
huminski

Yeah, I have had mine for about 4 years now, I too bought it when tower had them for under $200, I figured it had to be a mistake and ordered it figuring I would get an email saying there was an error. sure enough it arrived. I took my time, found the engine (used), put some decent servos in it, and just maidened it this past winter. It has performed flawlessly. I don't have any of the apparent incidence/thrust issues I've read about and so far, and even with a few less than graceful landings on dirt and paved runways, I show no signs of any structural problems (wing saddle / wing center). Only thing that has happened to it, is that a couple of the cowl screws wore holes through the cowl, I guess from the shaking of the hard mounted 1.80 four stroke. Other than that it's been flying like a huge low wing trainer. Obviously, there are two vastly different opinions of this plane out there, but I love mine.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:36 AM
huminski

bob, if you like, email your picture to me at [email protected] and I'll post it up for you.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:49 AM
huminski

Blueyonder, I have the 1.60FX in my H9 Edge 540, which is wider and heavier than the Giles. The H9 is 78". It flies awesome and will climb forever. The 1.60 should perform very well in the Giles. Get that thing done and post some pics.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:56 AM
tande
My Feedback: (48)

Yes!, Me too---Have a YS140 in mine, great combo!---My favorite plane to fly & I have many---Wish GP would bring them back---Maybe a two/piece wing?---
Old 11-05-2006, 06:07 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I had two and sold both.
I too loved how it flew and it is a great plane for IMAC or basic sport flying.
I was one of the few that pioneered the plane mods and I would recommend that they be done immediately.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:05 PM
Bob Yeager
My Feedback: (5)

I finally got the picture to upload in my previous post. It only worked after I sent the photo to huminski to take advantage of his generous offer to attempt to post the photo.

Also, many thanks to Geistware for his excellent posts in the Giles threads. His advice was invaluable in assembling this ARF.

Regards to all!