Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Vickers Vimy

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Vickers Vimy

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 12:19 AM
RickVB
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vickers Vimy

Well, those of you that like to shop may have noticed that the 3 Seabees Vickers Vimy over on Marketplace got sold. I admit it, I lost my marbles and couldn't pass up the deal (?!?). Thanks to bpaviator (well, actually also thanks to a large hole in my bank account), I now am the proud owner of the biggest ARF of all. I have decided to chronicle it's assembly here, and thus following are the first installment of pictures of the project.

Clearly, because of the cost, size, and complexity this model isn't for everyone (or anyone who has an ounce of sanity, anyway ), but I thought some of you might find this project interesting nonetheless. And I figure I've been leeching information from all the rest of you for so long, it's about time I contributed something.

Be warned, this is not a two week project. It's quite possible I won't have it finished until next year, since I'll probably end up spending as much for the engines and radio gear as I did for the kit, and the budget needs time to heal. Besides, I'm in the middle of my Lancair assembly right now...

I won't go into the history of this Aircraft right now; there's plenty elsewhere out on the net anyhow.

First thing is just dealing with the two HUGE boxes it comes in. After opening them, I've realized I'm going to have to spend an evening cleaning and reorganizing in my basement just to have space to unpack the thing.

Below we have the box label, and then the outside of the two stupendous boxes that the kit comes in, with my 1/4 scale Sig Cub fuselage next to it for size comparison. No kidding, I could fit four of my Lancair boxes inside one of these!

Next, what you see when the tops are off the boxes. Look at all that stuff!

Finally, one wing panel. Three more in the box!! Notice the yardstick leaning against it for comparison
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82520.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	88896   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr53056.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	88897   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb74723.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	88898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rk23420.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	88899  
Old 01-09-2004, 12:27 AM
RickVB
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Vickers Vimy

One more picture, I pulled out one engine nacelle. It's bigger around than the earlier pictured Cub is at the cabin.

As I said, I need to make space to do an inventory and detailed inspection; as soon as I get to that point I'll post more photos.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88587.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	88902