Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

World models Sky Raider...Any good?

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

World models Sky Raider...Any good?

Old 01-24-2004, 04:24 PM
feddeytx
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default World models Sky Raider...Any good?

I just saw an ad for World Models Sky Raider trainer. I know world models typiclly builds a quality product but has anyone seen or flown one of these? It is only$69.99!! I have crashed 2 trainers and now money counts. Is it even worth $70.00?
Old 01-24-2004, 06:11 PM
Modelflyer99

Default RE: World models Sky Raider...Any good?

Are you sure it's a World Models Kit.
I know the WM range quite well, and do not recall a "Sky Raider" in their range. A quick check of their Website didn't turn one up either.

Andy E.[sm=lol.gif]
Old 01-24-2004, 06:38 PM
feddeytx

Check www.airborne-models.com. I just received the new Model Airplane News and there is an advertisement for it on page 28. It says world models on the airplane.

Thanks
Old 01-24-2004, 09:42 PM
feddeytx

Well I just ordered 1. Only $5.00 for shipping with no tax makes it $74.99! I will take a chance at that price. I don't think World Models makes junk. I will let you know.
Old 01-24-2004, 10:12 PM
TPAGEL
My Feedback: (6)

Who did you order it from to get the the $5.00 shipping and did they have it in stock?
Old 01-25-2004, 01:56 AM
feddeytx

I ordered off of Airborne Models web site...the exclusive distributor of world models as they say. If they do not stock it I don't know who will.
Old 01-25-2004, 03:21 PM
autopilot

Default Sky Raiders ! !

Yeah, I just saw them too, in the magazines, but not on their website. Quantum Models carries World Models planes, too. $70 for a World Models plane? You really can't go wrong. It would be nice to see a 60/90 Sky Raider Mach II for around $100. FYI the Mach II is 54" wingspan, and the trainer is 65" wingspan.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92633.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	94099  
Old 01-25-2004, 04:22 PM
jsn
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Sky Raiders ! !

I've only put together one WM ARF. construction was very nice, everything was stright and well built. The hardwear sucked but what ARF's dosen't covering was the shelf paper type(this was years ago) so I recovered the plane. All in All it was a well built worth the price ARF. The sky raider trainer looks like a nice alternative to the Avistar. the sky raider trainer is a bit bigger, bolt on wings(nice no rubbers) more wing area with not much more weight, should make a good flying Trainer/sport plane. The one thing I don't like is the covering design, even if it were good quality covering it would have to go Feddeytx when you get yours how bout a little review, I've been thinking about replacing my 8 year old trainer with an avistar, the sky raider looks as good or better(except the covering) and I would not have to refit the wing for bolts like I would on the avistar. even with recovering the price would be about the same or less than the avistar. with a good .46 the sky raider should fly better than the avistar.... bigger, more wing and so on.

John
Old 01-26-2004, 05:08 PM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Sky Raiders ! !

Just bought one at Sheldon's for $69.95 + tax.
Looks real good, no shelf paper, colorful, light weight & straight.
All control surfaces are factory installed with metal hinges.
The entire tail assembly go's on with 2 bolts.

Bought it to replace a trainer I piled up the other day, got crossed up in a left inverted turn and was too low to recover.

Flying trainers at and beyond their limits is fun, low stress and expensive and will make you a better pilot.

It's better to pratice cross control landings with a "cheapy" than with your $2000.00 Mustang.
Old 02-04-2004, 02:33 PM
Kansas Twister
My Feedback: (1)

Default Sky Raiders...

A local hobby shop in Wichita is selling these and they are great little planes. The owner of the shop is setting up rules to fly the low-wing version as inexpensive pylon racers for the local R/C club; should be a lot of fun!

The fit and finish is good and the hardware is very good, they use their own proprietary brand of a monokote-like covering which also is very good. We plan to run them with any stock .40 to .46 engine, mostly OS FX or AX and Thunder Tiger Pros. They should make a great little low wing trainer as well...
Old 02-04-2004, 10:31 PM
Dk4stroke
My Feedback: (3)

I just ordered a Sky Raider as well. Smashed my trainer wing all to heck this past fall. For the price of a replacement wing, I purchased a Sky Raider Mach II instead.
Let me know how yours turns out (fly's). At this time of the year, I don't think I will be out a the flying field anytime soon.
ORIGINAL: feddeytx

Well I just ordered 1. Only $5.00 for shipping with no tax makes it $74.99! I will take a chance at that price. I don't think World Models makes junk. I will let you know.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:49 AM
Carlos Murphy

Great idea to race the low wing Raider because it is MUCH cheaper than the World T-34 which we race here in Ca.

$69.95 vs $129.95 + tax
Old 02-09-2004, 11:10 PM
feddeytx

I got my Sky Raider and am half way through the assembly. Not great instructions but it is not my first plane. Might be a little vague for a first timer. Quality looks great! Ugly graphics but it was $69.99. $69.99.$69.99. Have not flown it yet but that certainly makes it fly better when my wallet is heavy. I am waiting for a flight pack to finish. I have a new 46fx for it. I will keep you posted.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:57 PM
Dk4stroke
My Feedback: (3)

Did you get the low wing version or high? I should have mine (low wing version) on Wednesday. Plan to put an old OS 46LA with tune pipe or smoke kit on it. Have not decided.

The 46FX will be more than enough power in any case, high wing or low.

Keep me updated.
Old 02-11-2004, 12:09 AM
Carlos Murphy

The Raider 1 trainer has a 65.5" span and weighs 5.5 lbs

The Low wing Raider 2 has a 54" span and weighs 5 lbs

My Raider 1 has a OS 46 FX and I was keeping up with a World 25 size combat ZERO with a T.T.36 in it.

We once "combated" with the World 25 size Combat plane (6 of us) but found these planes were much too fast for combat with 36's in them.
We are planning to do combat with the Raider 2 with 36's in them but Airborn and Sheldon's is out of them.

PS, Both versions are available in two color scheme's.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:01 AM
forestroke

I have seen dozens flying here in Hong Kong and they seem to be perfect for the beginner flyers. I see them ripping up the skies all the time with good stability and surprisingly good speed. The wing is not that strong so for those that are going to race them doing sharp turns or really planning to stress out the airframe, you have to reinforce the wing. I've seen many collapse. But again, the people I'm talking about like to crash just as much as the like to fly.

I heard it's a breeze to put together and amazing value for money.
Old 02-15-2004, 09:40 PM
taildraggerdave

It is a great plane. I bought one to teach my nephew how to fly. We bought it yesterday afternoon and 7 hours later it was ready to go. Started at 4pm and finished at 11pm. Maidened it today then put a couple buddy box flights on it. We have the blue OS 46 LA in it with a MA 10x6 prop. I had to put 3ounces in the nose to balance but otherwise it flies/builds great!!!! On the second buddy box flight of the day, my nephew did 4 consequtive loops followed by an aileron roll.....
Old 02-16-2004, 01:51 AM
AMB

Just about done with my low wing great quality, wing halves went together with no fiddling
perfect alignment excellent covering job all wood top notch un believable quality for $70
power is a irvine 46 with davis diesel head only hardware I up graded were the clevises
went to dubro I bought it to brush up on acrobatics before flying my kyosho cap with a YS 53
and I had to mess with wing on the cap before glueing it to get it right and it was $239
frankly the quality is the same on both and many$$$$$$$$$$ cheaper, their elevator and
rudder horns are the best I have used on any ARF and the bolt on tail feathers is neat;
only glue joint the wing halves I did something different there had lots of time to let it
set up used Gorilla glue rather than epoxy it expands slightly and where it bubbles out of
the seam very easy to trim excess sands like dream plus that slight expansion will fill any
voids
Old 02-26-2004, 07:35 AM
ray c.

I am putting together the low wing. it is my first attempt at a "build". I haven't had too many problems but i test fit the wing to the fuselage this morning and it doesn't seem to want to sit in the opening properly. I am confident i assembled the wings properly but the trailing edge that bolts down doesn't seem to want to sit all the way against the fuselage. is that a normal thing to run into. and should i fix it by notching the fuse a little more or notching the tip on the wing?

thanks for any help

Ray
Old 02-26-2004, 10:43 AM
Kansas Twister

Ray-

This is a common problem, I deepened the notch in the fuse a bit (do it a very little at a time and check for fit), and everything went fine.

The plane is a great flyer, and pretty darn quick with a Thunder Tiger Pro.40. I raced another guy with a Pro .46 on his, and my .40 with a 9x7 APC had a slight speed advantage on a long straightaway, I am going to try a 9x8 APC today. We even banged wings at one point and both survived the incident; couldn't find any damage on either plane.

The pitch is very sensitive, so do NOT exceed the recommended throws on the elevator; mine is set 2mm less than the instructions state, and it is plenty...Dale
Old 02-26-2004, 10:42 PM
bperry1106

I also had my maiden flight today with the Mach2. All I have to say is... WOW! I put a tt 46 on it and it wants to meet the man on the moon. I too had to use low rates the whole flight because of the pitch sensitivity. It wasnt a big deal because even on low rates it would roll perfectly. The quality of this plane is top notch and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a fun flying low winger.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:24 PM
Kansas Twister

I tried my Mach II powered by a TT Pro .40 with a 9x8 APC today; the loss in RPM was enough to make it slower than the 9x7 APC.

We start racing these planes on a two pylon course in a few more weeks. Pylons to be 1000' apart, six lap races, with a timed dive toward the start line to get things going. There will be a ten second penalty for passing the start line before the clock starts, and the same for cutting a pylon, two cuts during a race gets you a disqualification. Maximum of four planes per race.

I can hardly wait to start racing, it should be a blast providing we don't chew each others tail feathers up...Dale
Old 02-26-2004, 11:59 PM
AMB

Forgot i did do a little trim on the fus to get a perfect fit on the wing
only took a couple of minutes no biggy
Old 02-28-2004, 04:57 PM
jrotor
My Feedback: (5)

Hi,

Do you think OS FP 40 engine would be powerful enough to make Mach II aerobatic ?
Thanks
Old 02-28-2004, 05:08 PM
Kansas Twister

ORIGINAL: jrotor

Hi,

Do you think OS FP 40 engine would be powerful enough to make Mach II aerobatic ?
Thanks
Hmmmm...depends how you define aerobatic. Yes, it would loop, roll, do stall turns, cuban eights, splits's, immilmans, etc; but doubt that it would hover, knife edge, lomcevaks, or anything too extreme...Dale

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.