Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Sig Extra 300sx SET UP QUESTIONS

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Sig Extra 300sx SET UP QUESTIONS

Old 02-22-2004, 12:43 AM
med601
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Extra 300sx SET UP QUESTIONS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have recently bought a new 300sx with a new fpe 2.4. It is brand new and has never been flown . It is my first large gas plane. I have no exp. with gas engines.
I have some questions regarding set up.
Does any one have info on which True Turn spinner to use w/ pro Zinger 20-10?

How about the Miracle y servo reverser, is that necessary, I will be using a Futaba 8UAPs radio.

Could i just slave one of the channels and reverse it? and with that set up can I use a 7 channel receiver or must it be an 8?

Has any body installed a smoke system. I have the TME Simple smoke too heavy?

Tank placement? gas and smoke fuel.

How are you operating the choke on the engine, via a servo or manually?

I am going to use Hitec 605bb on the elevators old Futaba 9203 coreless servos on the ailerons and a Hitec 645mg on the rudder with a 5cell 6volt any thoughts?

Your comments and thoughts will be greatly appreciated
Old 02-22-2004, 07:23 AM
Cheech
My Feedback: (19)

Default RE: Sig Extra 300sx SET UP QUESTIONS

I had the [link=http://www.devino.org/mark/airplanepics/300xs.htm]300XS[/link] and really liked it. The miracle Y is fine. It's simple - I'd just use it if I were you. It will save you long servo leads gong to the back. I also flew on 8U then moved it to 9C. I stayed with the Y.

Personally, I'd leave your smoke system off this plane. It's not a very big wing, 73" or so. My plane weighed in the high 13's. I wouldn't want it too much heavier.

I had my fuel tank somewhat rear of the stock location, closer to the CG. I ran a big glow engine and had a bigger tank. You may not want to move your gasoline tank.

Your servo choices seem OK to me. I ran all coreless. Your choices are plenty strong.

-Cheech
Old 02-22-2004, 07:23 PM
conkster

i guess a q 50 would be way to big [heavy] for this plane. i want a gp 1/4 scale pw. but the lhs has the 300sx for $319. that seems like a good price compared to $369 for the patty wagstaff.
thanks, conk
Old 02-22-2004, 09:07 PM
UltimateFlyer120

It's easy to run the duel elevator servos with mixes and avoid the $$ Miracle y servo reverser. You only need a 7 channel RX to do it with the 8UAF.
As this plane I'd do a search here in RC Universe looking for 300sx aileron flutter. I have the Sig Cap 231ex (same wing) and my friend has the 300sx we both had aileron flutter. He lost his plane and I wet my pants getting mine back down. We both had 605s in the wings. I know the flutter was a result of full throttle.
Here is the link [link=http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/faq-9z-q150.html]Futaba FAQ 8UAF[/link]
Old 03-10-2005, 07:29 PM
med601

I have finnally got my sig 300sx in the air, flies great except for it snapping out when I pull only slight elevator. Can't figure out why? CG might be a little aft. but certainly no where near the end of the recomended range. It almost feels like one of the elavators is traveling differantly than the other, i have checked on the ground and is OK. I am using a miracle Y , if that makes a difference. the travel on low rates is less then called for, so I'm stumped any thoughts?
Old 03-11-2005, 02:50 AM
Dan767
My Feedback: (19)

I never had any problems with flutter, or the airplane snapping. The easiest way to seal the aileron gap on this plane is clear packaging tape. I flew mine with Futaba 9202 servos all around. I used the radio to set up both elevator servos (also an 8UAP) and didn't use a Miracle Y. I sold the airplane this February.

I believe that the reason your plane is snapping is your stab and wing incidence isn't the same. When I put mine together, I had almost 2 degrees difference between the wing and stab, and had to sand the forward part of the stab saddle to get the incidence the same.

This is a very fun plane to fly. It'll do most aerobatics, won't 3D, but does wonderful Lomcevaks, Knife Edge Spins and Blenders. Never had any coupling problems either direction in Knife Edge either. Flew mine with an OS 1.60FX
Old 03-11-2005, 10:07 AM
med601

Thanks Dan,

I don't have any flutter, no problem there.

I did check wing and stab incidence before I few her and that was OK.

she is heavy at almost 15lb may be that has some thing to do with it.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:13 AM
afterburner
My Feedback: (18)

Med601,
I'm not sure if this is your problem but I had a miracle Y on My GP Giles 202 and I had problems with it drifting depending on the temperature and weather. I would constantly have to adjust the pot on the miracle Y. I will never use a servo reverser again if I don't have to. I have a Futaba 8u also and now on my GP Extra, I just use the radio mix. It takes about a minute to do it and there's less electronics to go bad. Just a thought.

marty
Old 03-11-2005, 03:20 PM
med601

Thanks Marty,

May be i'll try that, I am using the 8uaf.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:31 PM
eagletalon
My Feedback: (21)

is the plane snaping on full rate? and if so what are your throw settings on elevator? I had the same problem! and just added full deflection on high rate> problem solved and can now hold a better 3-d flight pattern without snaping.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:32 PM
med601

Eagle,

Not sure what you mean?

At a low rate setting ( as per instructions) it snaps out at the top of a loop, on high rates it's worse
Old 03-14-2005, 09:16 PM
eagletalon
My Feedback: (21)

It may be possible that you need to bring the CG further back, ie aft, I placed my 300 inverted on the recommended CG starting point by using 3/8 dowels pegged into a 18x4x1 ply and point tip pencile eraser heads on the ends that the wings will be resting on inverted. once you have made sure your resting on the recommended CG point check witch way your 300 falls i set my CG approx 5/16 AFT. then rebalanced again at this point with the 300 teetering either way. on the note i stated before i found that when i reset my elevator to take on full deflection it cleaned up better for 3-d can`t tell you much on physics , its something that was passed on to me by fellow flyer's. this is just my personnel settings. take from it what you will if anything! heck I may be all bass akwards.I'm sure you have already been over these check points. good luck.
Old 03-15-2005, 11:29 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I've noticed this before with scale aerobatic ARFs and Sig's in particular. The recommended elevator travels are way too high for normal flying. The Sig Cap (similar to the Extra) will fly the IMAC patterns very nicely on HALF the recommended LOW rate travel.

First be sure the CG is set at 30% of the wing chord. Then you have three choices: 1 - Reduce the elevator travel until full up (or down) won't snap the airplane. 2 - Never use full up or down elevator. 3 - Learn to fly 3D.

Jim

Just went back and read post 7. The weight definately has something to do with it. Your wing loading is about 35 oz/sq ft. Very high for a 120 size airplane and 20% higher than the it's design weight. If you want that Extra to fly well, you're going to have to take extreme measures to lighten it. (Like replacing the FPE with a Moki.)

Old 03-15-2005, 01:30 PM
med601

After reading some other post regarding normal weight for this plane i'm about 1lb / 1.5lbs over weight. The fpe 2.4 only weighs 3lbs and is sig's recomended gas engine and i'm very happy with it's performance even at 15lbs.
I did put a smoke system on board, which i could remove and save almost a 1lb and change the stock landing gear to carbon fibre and save another 6oz.

I try that, re- balance and reduce throw even futher and see how she flies then.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:11 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like you're on the right track.

Jim
Old 10-11-2015, 02:09 PM
start03

What is the CG on the Extra 300sx? Thanks, John