Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

ARF REVIEW - AIRMADILLO KOMBAT 40

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

ARF REVIEW - AIRMADILLO KOMBAT 40

Old 02-22-2004, 09:44 AM
RCRAINMAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARF REVIEW - AIRMADILLO KOMBAT 40

Talk about the ultimate plane for any application! The Airmadillos are made by The Airplane Factory (www.kombat40.com) and are probably the ugliest planes available. Mine arrived only two days after I placed the order and was built and RTC (Ready to Crash) after only one evening. The blueprints leave a little something to be desired, but if anything it made me slow down and logically go over the build process step by step.
Out of the box, the wing is 100% complete, and the alluminum fuselage only needs to be drilled for engine mounts. Once the drilling is done, this plane goes together something like a flying erector-set. The Engine is mounted first, followed by your Avionics, landing gear, Tail Assembly, and finally wing. Servo pushrods are a breeze to install, as everything is external. A word to the wise, if you do not like flying with exposed servos, then you will need to find some way to cover them.
Once airborne this thing will really scoot along with a OS .46 AX on it! My first landing attempt was a great success! Although it positively descends at idle, this can easily be corrected by coming all the way down with 10%-25% power. On this plane alone, I went through 11 different crashes before the fusleage finally broke in half. And I'm not talking about sissy crashes either, I'm talking about full power plunges into steel chain link fences, roads, parking lots, concrete street-lamp bases, and more! I have a new fuselage coming next week and I hope to be airborne before next weekend! This plane does outstanding aerobatics and can almost do 3D. With the .46AX it will climb vertically for a while, but not indefinately. But this great availability of power allows for some great maneuvers!
I strongly recommend this plane to all beginners and for even seasoned PC pilots who want to have a work-horse plane to play around with.

If you have ANY questions about this plane please ask.
Old 02-22-2004, 11:13 AM
Dewey2
My Feedback: (24)

Default RE: ARF REVIEW - AIRMADILLO KOMBAT 40

i really like mine all of them they will 3d just add big tail set. nothing like flying a fence post. got the name from hiting strait in at 143mph. not pretty to look at.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:57 PM
Tim Taylor

Which all models of the Airmadillos do you have so far. I've got a Trainer 60, and Kombat 40 and a Kombat Kruizer that's hasn't arrived yet.

I took the yelow one out this AM in a snowstorm and flew it. Great time! The Muffler came off the red plane again and will be taking your advise on the strap on you sent me on the other site.

Tim [link=http://www.airmadillo40.com]For Airmadillo Flyers.[/link]
Old 10-31-2004, 08:24 PM
RCRAINMAN

I only have the Kombat 40.
Old 10-31-2004, 09:19 PM
Dewey2

Ive got the dillo 3d made it kruiser 40/60 kombat 40/60 twin/ bipe/ big bipe coptor ordering next week and trainers
Old 11-01-2004, 07:59 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

How do the bipes handle?
I have the Kombat Trainer 40. My dad originally built it as a trike but never flew it. I took it up once. He later stripped it and was about to toss it out when I stepped in. I converted it to a taildragger and am flying it now with a well used OS .46LA (3rd plane for this engine, too bad the OS LA series engines are such crap...) and the throws cranked up about as much as they will go. It is actually a pretty fun plane to just play around with. Wish I had a .46 BB engine for it.
I think my dad wants it back. I was playing around with getting a Kombat 60 (Got an ST .61 needs a home) or just getting the Kombat 40 wing for this one. He is now looking at the Kombat 20 to put a .30 FS (Saito or Magnum, I forget which) on.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:05 PM
Dewey2

they fly better than the kombat 40 much slower just a easy flying sport plane a guy that flys lazy planes bought one after he saw mine
Old 11-02-2004, 09:02 PM
Fubar-One

OK.
I was hoping for something more acrobatic capable of snap rolls and blenders and that type of thing to learn those moves with.
Maybe I will just go for a Kombat 60 and put my GMS .76 on it.
ORIGINAL: prophanger1

they fly better than the kombat 40 much slower just a easy flying sport plane a guy that flys lazy planes bought one after he saw mine
Old 11-03-2004, 01:19 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've tried training a couple of guy's on these things and all I can say is they make GREAT shotgun targets!!!
Old 11-10-2004, 08:50 PM
Fubar-One

Remind me not to fly at your field...[:-]
Well, bought the Airmadillo Bipe tonight and will put my GMS .76 ringed engine on it. Still having fun with the Trainer 40 so the bipe should be fun.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:57 PM
Cvans

I don't think that you will regret it. I had an old Fox 78 on mine and it would hang on the prop for a long time doing a slow touque roll before it started sliding backward. It all happened so slow that it looked like and optical illusion. The guys were always asking me to do it again. You will want to keep the speed up on landing to help eliminate bouncing down the field. When setting at rest the wings are at a high angle of attack so you want to keep the tail up as you touch down. No bad habits as I can remember. Like most Bi-planes this one has the glide path of a brick so don't get to far from the field. They are not indestructable as I found out. I was making a very low inverted pass down the field when the motor was over powered by a mass of quiet. I tried to roll upright and ended up plowing a furrow down the field.
I had a 13X6 prop and that worked the best.
Shotgun target huh. I would guess that the plane would probably be pretty safe
Chris
Old 11-24-2004, 09:51 PM
Tim Taylor

There's a guy who's post I read on [link=http://www.airmadillo40.com]www.airmadillo40.com[/link] who cut three inches off the tail boom. He said it really improved the performance. I tried it, it worked. I got some pretty scary snaps out of all three models of Kombats that I have.

Tim

[link=http://www.airmadillo40.com]www.airmadillo40.com[/link]
Old 11-22-2006, 09:41 PM
lonestoner

i have a trainer 40 with an old os max 50 and it really moves . the sharp edges of the airplane really slice the air .. very fast
Old 01-31-2007, 04:23 PM
Medevack1

Hi my name is Fermin im in North Carolina I just got an armadillo at the local swapmeet i paid 15.00 with an ASP.61 in it .....1st of all I think is an awesome plane and soon ill be ordering another one….. as soon as I saw it at the swapmeet I had to have it, my Yellow Armadillo has a 60†wings span and is powered by a ASP.61 this thing is fast but I do have some questions maybe you all can help.

1. Is there a way to secure the wing better than with the 2 nylon bolts it seems wobbly?
2. I have a tricycle Armadillo on the mayden flight we have 300' paved runway so it was smooth take off she climb very well but she wanted to bank to the left a lot I was fighting it till the engine dead stick on it and surprisingly I managed to glide it back to safety except for a broken propupon landing . What can it be? banking left?
3. What do you use to secure the servos to the aluminum I have zip ties holding mine.
4. Is it a big advantage to have individual servos on the ailerons?
Here is mine!!!
[img][/img]

the crash!!!!
[img][/img]

Thank you all also do you have any pics of your armadillos?

Thank you

Fermin

www.RiversideRC.com
Old 02-02-2007, 08:55 AM
Medevack1

Anyone else have an Armadillo?
Old 02-07-2007, 04:16 PM
Medevack1

WOW noone?
Old 03-10-2007, 07:27 AM
GWARREN2

I have several Airmadillo`s and think they are alot of fun ( also very different than the rest of the planes out there ). I have had some of the same problems that you have and have taken the wings and tail off a 40 kruzer and installed them on square pvc drain pipe. This makes the wings more stable and also helps with the servo installation and protection. You have to take plywood and make an engine mount / plug for the front and install part of the metal frame to mount the wing ( internal ). I also upgraded the power with a st .75

If you want pics, let me know
Old 03-11-2007, 11:20 PM
MacETAC

I have a Kruiser 40 which has a clipped wing, 40", specifically made by Alan's crew at the airplane factory, a bit before the storm... She has an O.S. .50 with a Max pipe... This plane is really fast... We lost our field a while back, and I don't see one opening up any time soon... I also have a trainer 40 which I have a transmitter that can be used for a buddy box, and I have the trainer cable... Both planes are fully rigged out, and I am looking to sell everything I have... Will have to go and check all that is in them.... I may have a pic of the 2...

Let me check things out, and I'll get back...

MAC
Old 03-14-2007, 06:24 AM
barrelracer
My Feedback: (99)

I am interested in your 2 planes and stuff shoot me a e-mail and we can work out the payment.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:29 AM
KitCrasher

Does anyone know how to mount alieron servos on the wings? I would like to use dual alieron servos but can't figure out how to mount them to the wing. Any information is very much appreciated.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:29 AM
cooltop

Can you still get parts for these planes?
Old 04-21-2009, 06:32 PM
Tim Taylor

No, you would have to make the parts from scratch. Airmadillo is no more that i can find.

On and earlyer post the quiestion was asked about mounting the waileron servo. Cut the servo hole directly against the wing spar about 13rd the length of the wing from the fuselage. Cut a small hole in the top and bottom of the wing on the other side of the spar from the servo and a small hole about 1/4 inch from the servo on the aileron side. Wrap a wire tie through the hole and around the servo. That's all you need to do.

Jake
Old 06-17-2009, 09:28 AM
Czechmate
My Feedback: (6)

I have really enjoyed the airmadillos that I have flown.  Good solid airplane!  I am curious to know if anyone had maybe heard any news if The Airplane Factory will ever be back open for business.  The website is still up but you are not able to purchase anything.  I tried the email and 1-800 number but no response.  Thanks!

Kombat 20 (Retired)

Kombat Kruiser 40 (Grounded for Repairs) 

Kombat Kruiser 60 (Still Flyin')

Old 06-17-2009, 10:01 AM
Tim Taylor

I'd love to have a Kruizer. Maybe some day he'll reopen.

Tim Taylor
Old 06-17-2009, 08:59 PM
Czechmate
My Feedback: (6)

The 40 & 60 Kruisers that I have are both great solid airplanes. If you do get one I think you will be really pleased. I personally enjoy the 40 size over the 60. With a OS 46FX it was was a perfect match. After Iacquired a second hand Irvine 53 it was a rocket. I would like to see a 40 size fly with an OS 55AX. I will keep asking around for someone who might have heard any news regarding The Airplane Factory and possible future airmadillo sales. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.