Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Lanier Edge Problems

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Lanier Edge Problems

Old 06-09-2002, 08:13 PM
rcavi8ter
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lanier Edge Problems

I just went to the flying field and on the way out there I had some fuel spill on my cowl, from another plane that was hanging above. Problem is when I got to the field and opened up the back of the truck the paint was already pealing up. Anyone else having this problem. I don't want to have to get a new cowl since there are already graphics on this one. I love this plane and how it flys and was even thinking about getting another one just in case but this weekend has had me wondering. The gear came out on Saturday, looked like the glue was set up before the pieces were put together. I even beefed this area up before I flew it. Not a bad fix but the gear ripped up the bottom of the plane and put two holes in the wing where the pants came up.

BTW the fuel was wildcat 15% so it was not a real high nitro.

Chris Puckett
Old 06-09-2002, 09:01 PM
vtsmx-DELETE

Haven't put mine together yet so I haven't had any fuel in it. Am wondering about your landing gear plate though. On mine it looks like regular 1/4" ply was used. Is yours the same? If so, did the whole plate rip out? I've read previous posts that said the t-nuts pulled through the plate. I've had to fix several other things and am wondering if I should grind out the landing gear plate as well.(?)

vtsmx
Old 06-09-2002, 10:30 PM
wgeffon
My Feedback: (4)

Chris,

Didnt see you at our Big Bird yesterday.
My AW Edge isnt ready yet so I borrowed a friends Lanier Edge like yours. Fun plane. He has a OS 1.60 in it.
He also had the gear problems you spoke of when his was new. I know he called Lanier and they took care of him.
He's on RCU if you want to get a hold of him PM maybe?
T28pilot is his user name.
Old 06-10-2002, 01:30 AM
rcavi8ter

Default Edge

The landing gear plate broke in half. The T nuts did not pull out. The ply was light ply so not really stong enough for a landing gear plate. I added an extra layer of 1/8 ply were the T nuts were but it is hard to get around the edges on the gear plate with the former on top of it. wgeffon I was unable to get out of town yesterday as I had a to attend a graduation for the daughter of a friend of the family. I really wanted to come up and do some flying with everyone. Maybe we can get together later though. One thing that was really cool was, were I fly is a full size grass strip (6,000 feet), a guy with a Christen Eagle was flying around and landed and gave a couple people rides. I did not get a chance to go with him but when he landed I talked to him and we exchanged numbers so we can get together and I can get some time in a real aerobat. It was like being at my own little airshow. He did all his aerobatics right above the corn field next to the runway. Take off consists of getting about 10 feet off the runway and holding it there till he gets to the end of the runway then straight up. wgeffon you should come down and see if you can get a ride maybe even bring T-28 with you.

Chris Puckett
Old 06-10-2002, 02:05 AM
wgeffon

Chris,
For my job (corporate pilot) we do advanced maneuvers training every other year or so. We do it in an Extra. I havnt done it yet cause I am new to this company and this is our off year. Next year I hope..
Old 06-10-2002, 02:35 AM
ROGER RUSSELL
My Feedback: (12)

Default Off the Subject, BUT

Hey guys. we all need to get together at each others field and fly, Bloomington, Springield and Jacksonville. I saw wegeffon fly T28 Lanier, looked pretty good. Got some pics downloaded from Bloomington, if interesred I can send them your way.
RORO (Roger)
PS
I want a rematch with T28 and the Shoestring!!! LOL
Old 06-10-2002, 03:04 AM
wgeffon

Roger,

Send the pics my way when you have a chance.

Maybe we can all figure out one weekend every month and try to meet a particular field.
Old 06-11-2002, 06:41 PM
rcavi8ter

Default Update on the EDGE

Well I called Lanier yesterday about the problems and let me tell you that I did not have all the great customer service that others have recieved. I asked about the fuel eating the cowl and they stated that they had not heard about this. I was told I could sand down the cowl and repaint it with LusterCote Missle Red. No offer to send another cowl or help with this. I asked if I was the lucky guy with a bad cowl and he laughed and said must be. As for the landing gear, they said that they knew about the problem and that was it. I might have just got the wrong guy but let me tell you that I don't think I will be doing any ordering of any Lanier products in the future. I was thinking of order the big Edge and using it as a test bed for some engines that I have and was wanting the big SU-31 kit but they can keep it now.

Chris Puckett
Puckett Model Aviation
Old 08-11-2002, 04:06 AM
Pinhead159
My Feedback: (33)

i do not like lanier customer service. i will never buy another lanier plane!!
just my 2cents
Chris