Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

GSP Yak54 is here!! I am liking this one!

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

GSP Yak54 is here!! I am liking this one!

Old 03-23-2004, 12:05 AM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GSP Yak54 is here!! I am liking this one!

ORIGINAL: tIANci

www.cmairplane.com ... just click on the CONTACT button and email them!

link is dead for me
Old 03-23-2004, 03:02 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you sure? http://www.cmpairplane.com/
Old 03-27-2004, 12:03 PM
hawkrider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FentressJets

How is the build coming along for your YAK? I'm waiting for Jet-Hobbies to get them in stock. Hmmm wonder how much and how long it will take to order one directly from CMP? Tons of time and money I'm sure.... I am definitely getting one ASAP...

Keep us posted on your YAK...

Have a good one...
Old 03-27-2004, 12:08 PM
Radcliffe

Hawkrider, I just talked to Jet-hobbies and they are telling me in about two weeks. I also have ants in my pants !!! Rad
Old 03-27-2004, 05:12 PM
hawkrider

Radcliffe

Good deal... I can't wait to get mine... I'm hoping I can use my ZDZ 40 on it and it will hold up and fly okay with it... I've heard the wing loading isn't all that great but I think I'm going to give it a shot and see how well it does with the extra power and possible weight. I'm definitely not going to be competing any time soon in either IMAC or 3D... I have a Laser 2000 Kangke just about done with a ZDZ 50... So far it is tail heavy so it seems these engines must be nice and light... I'm hoping I can move some stuff around and not have to add too much weight to the front... So when the YAK comes in... I'll have to check out the options for the weight issue..

Have a good one...
Old 03-28-2004, 10:52 PM
Steve S
My Feedback: (54)

Hey guys

Well I didnt get much time to work on the Yak last week due to my busy sch .with my business but I did get her just about all done over this weekend

I decided to go with a OS160FX cause the Saito270 Twin I had planned to use was wider for the cowling than I thought it was going to be.The engine would have been sticking out the cowl about 2 inches on each side which in essence would have looked not so good in my opinion.The plane is very light-11.5 all up weight minus the battery.I basically just need to mount the wheels,T/W ,pack rcvr & bettery and she is ready for her maiden this coming weekend

Here is what mine has

Brand new OS160FX swinging a 17x6 APC
JR 1800 4.8 nicad pak
New MPI switch with led voltcheck
JR 8450 Digital servo on elv.-185 oz of torque
Hitec 5735 1/4 scale digital on rudder with pull/pull-220 oz.
JR 8411's on ailerons-155 oz
plain ole jane futaba on thr.
Tru Turn 2 inch Hub spinner-ala Suhkoi looks-didnt like the look of a reg. spinner on the Yak everntho thr full scale has a spinner & not a hub style

I am very pleased with the plane.I am most impressed with the quality work GSP is putting out now.This is the best paintjob & clearcoat I have seen on a Fiberglass fuse in a long time-A remarkable impression esp. at the cheap price of 299.00 these Yak's are going for.I hope it flies as great as it looks!! The plane is beautiful,you guys will love yours as well.I Love the unique way this cowl fits on-I havent seen anything like this before.It essentially slides into a channel on the fuse which gives a tight secure fit.I will be more than happy to answer any questions you guys may have.I will post the first flight results on here after the Maiden

Steve
Old 03-28-2004, 11:11 PM
Radcliffe

How do you have the 1.60 mounted ? inverted or side mounted, does it stick outside the cowl and if so how much ?? Thanks Rad
Old 03-29-2004, 01:13 PM
Steve S

Rad

I have the OS160fx mounted sideways with JTEC pitts muffler out the bottom.The Engine actually doesnt stick out the cowl at all-just have to cut a access for the glowplug of course.The space between the cowl & engine is approx. a 1/4 of a inch so I may have to end up doing a cutout for the head for additional cooling.We'll see how she does without cutting it out first,obviously I would prefer the clean uncut cowl if I can get away with it I'll keep ya posted

Steve
Old 03-29-2004, 01:44 PM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

Steve, you may have to close up the opposite side of the cowl (opposite the engine) and open up a large hole in the bottom of the cowl, as far back as possible. with the whole cowl face open air will not be able to escape fast enough and will not flow out the heat. By cutting off half of the intake or ram air, it will be easier for the heat to flow out the exit, which should be at least twice the size of the intake. So think about it, if you left the whole cowl face open, how can you possibly open up a hole twice the size of the front of the cowl, especially on a Yak or a Suk.
Old 03-29-2004, 02:21 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

any pics?[8D]
Old 03-29-2004, 07:51 PM
mancha

looking forward for the first flight report
Old 03-31-2004, 02:48 AM
mutare23

Already this has the makings of another great thread a bit like the Katana coverage. Like others STeve I cant wait for your flight report. You have started something here and I will look forward to watching the developments.

After reading the Katana thread I bought one. Looks like the Yak is the next one on the list

Cheers

Phil
Old 04-01-2004, 09:20 AM
Baper

I received mine a couple of days back.
It is a Flair ARF, and bought it from England.
There are three quality issues in my plane that I found, by just inspecting it out of the box.[:@]
First one is that in a specific area of the cowl, those Glass Layers are thinner than the rest of it. Ok This is an easy fix, already fixed it from me inside.
The second one is at the rear Turtle deck.
It seems that they took the fuse out of the mold too soon, resulting in two bumps at the top of it. In other words this particular place is deformed and it will require some prime/fill/paint job to be perfect.
The third one has to do with those beautiful wheel pants.
There is too much resin at the place where the gear legs are meeting them, I will have to remove with a dremel, so the pant will fit and align perfect.
The rest of the plane is Flawless, and is giving the looks of a much more expensive one.
Flair has a set of upgraded linkages, horns clevises etc, that recommends using instead of those supplied with the kit.
There is also an instructions attendum that is calling the CG to be placed between 125-135mm from LE for initial flights.
The good thing is that the plane is coming together Very Fast.
I will place those elevator servos at the tail.
Now I have to decide about the engine.
I have an MVVS 160 RedHead Gasser if I want to go that way, and also an YS140L if I want to go the other way.
I am thinking of putting everything on and ready, and last thing test fit those two engines to see how it balances. I would prefer the Gasser for lower cost, but if performance is an issue, then the YS is going to be Tested.
I will keep you posted as I go along with the construction and if I find any other quality issues I will post in this thread.

Fly Safe!

Baper[8D]
Old 04-01-2004, 08:31 PM
hawkrider

Decided to go with the OS 1.60 on the YAK... Chief aircraft had them on sale.. I picked mine up without a muffler for 200 smackers... 50 bucks cheaper than tower...
Old 04-03-2004, 07:16 AM
Steve S

Phil

You will love this plane if you decide to get one-It is a true beauty.As mentioned before in a previous post I made the fiberglass work is superb as is the paintjob & clearcoat.Unfortantly the weather gods aren't going to work in my favor this weekend for the first few flights.Rain & thunderstorms are in the forecast all weekend long-errrr.I am majorly bummed as I was so much looking forward to the first flights on this baby.This thang should be a blast with the OS160FX bolted onboard-all up weight RTF just under 12 lbs!! The one thing you guys will have to change (atleast if you plan to go with the OS160) You will need to get new longer bolts & blindnuts for the engine mount.Incidentally I found out once you epoxy the 1/2" plywood buildout block(provided with the plane) in place the provided bolts were not nearly long enough then.I had to end up going to Home Depot & getting some SS 1/4 20- 3 " bolts -No Biggie of course.Just a side note I thought I'd throw in-this will most likely be the case with most engine selections

Baper

Sorry to hear that your Yak had issues.Mine arrived in perfect shape A1 cond..I have no complaints whatsoever.The cowl & turtledeck are immaculant..Anyways sad to say you guys will have to wait till next weekend for a flight report I'll post the results thereafter

Steve
Old 04-05-2004, 01:41 AM
mutare23

Steve,

Hope your weather has improved and the only reason we havent heard from you is that you have been doing heaps of flying. SO the bigt question. How does she fly

Cheers

Phil
Old 04-09-2004, 09:37 PM
Steve S

Phil

The weather is good here now but work has me bogged down ...I own a business & I have been slammed non stop.I wont be able to get the maiden in for atleast another 2 weekends .I have alot of order deadlines & contracts to fullfill ,you know what they say work comes first & playtime comes second-well atleast that is my policy .I hope to be able to get the first flights in by the end of the month.I am really looking forward to flying this baby !! sorry for the delay of anticipation [8D]

Steve
Old 04-11-2004, 01:14 PM
MLC
My Feedback: (5)

Hey Stere, I am considering this plane also, it is between this and the CG Sukhoi 26.
I cannot find any information on control set up on this Yak so I am leaning towards the Sukhoi as I have seen it up close. If the Yak has a good set up, it would probably push me towards it, as it is $100 cheaper.

Does it come with pull/pull set up for the rutter?

What is the set up for the elevator?

How are the wings held on?

Is the hardware kit good?

Any chance of getting a few picks of your set up inside the plane and of the rear underside?

Thanks,
MLC
Old 04-12-2004, 05:58 PM
mutare23

Steve,

Looking forward to the end of the month, when the flights for the Yak will commence.

I have been trying to buy a Yak here (Australia), but delivery is not available until Late May early June, but as I have now built a number of GSP/CM Pro kits cant imagine that it will take too long before the Yak is in the air.

I'll look forward to your flight report when you completed the first flights

Cheers

Phil
Old 04-12-2004, 06:48 PM
Steve S

MLC

The hardware is cheesy to be honest.I chucked most all of it .I used heavy duty 1/4 scale dubro horns on all control surfaces along with 440 rods.The ARF does come with pull/pull wire & accessories but it is not enough to do the rudder setup-atleast on mine it wasn't anyways.I just went to Kmart & bought some fishing leader-60 lb. test strength and some of the leader crimps.That stuff is amazingly strong.I didn't use the clevis' that came with the arf either as they were cheap plastic -I went with dubro 440 solder clevis'

The wings are held on of course with the wing tube then 2 line up aluminum pins & 1 screw tightened from the inside of the removeable canopy area.Manual calls for 2 elv .servos by way of dowell/pushrods.I scraped that idea as I didn't trust dowell pushrods that long plus I like the no slop scenario that only rear mounted elevator servos can offer.I simply cut the elv .servos in the rear,epoxied in some 1/16th ply servo mounts for a direct control setup again with beefy 440 rods.I can snap some pics sometime this week as soon as my work sch. permits[8D]

thanks,Steve
Old 04-18-2004, 08:07 PM
mutare23

Steve

I know I sound like a nagging wife but

How is it going with the Yak?

Got the photos yet?

Looking forward to your up dates

Cheers

Phil
Old 04-19-2004, 08:20 PM
hawkrider

Jet Hobbies... what's the scoop with the YAKzzz? Still nothing on the web site...did the boat sink?
Old 04-19-2004, 09:52 PM
ep124
My Feedback: (1)

Dude this thing looks awsome! Can't wait to hear about the flights.
Old 05-01-2004, 03:01 AM
mutare23

Steve,

Are you still there.

Has the Yak flown yet

Cheers

Phil
Old 05-01-2004, 03:55 AM
planelazy

I have just completed mine with an O.S. 160 and it seem's heavy. About twelve and one half pound's. The fuse doesn't seem to be heavy but the wing's weigh over three pound's.I know it will fly o.k. with the 160 but i had a Yellow ( Funkey ) Sukoi with a 73 Inch span that was much lighter.The Yak has great work manship though.I guess you can't have everything. Mine has not flown due to the great Ohio weather. Tim.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.