Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

VQ Models

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

VQ Models

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 12:48 AM
pdansalvish
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default VQ Models

Hi,

I'm looking for information on anyone flying a VQ model?

Dave
Old 11-25-2002, 07:57 PM
SOUTHBAYP51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VQ Models

I was very impressed with the plane when I first opened the box at the local hobby shop. Loooks very scale and realistic but it lacks STRUCTURAL STRENGHY. I put about a good 15 flights and im unhappy to report that yesterday afternoon, in front of dozens of people at the local flying field, my wings folded as I was flying level at full throttle. All I could do was kill the engine to at least save my Saito 91 and radio gear. That is the last time I deal with a VQ model. I have been flying for about 2 years and have had 10 glow powered planes and have never had this happen to me. The quality of the wood is very fragile and can be damaged very easily.
Old 11-25-2002, 08:08 PM
glowplug
My Feedback: (1)

Default VQ Models

From what I understand, the quality of the VQ line depends on where you get them from.....if they come from Morris Hobbies, who is now the U.S. VQ distributor, they are suppossed to be a lot better than the original VQ line..........I got a VQ Spacewalker from Morris Hobbies, and overal it's a nice plane......however, like Southbay mentioned, the wood is soft in certain areas.

The plane flies like a dream, but I'm worried about it's ability to last over the long haul.

Mike
Old 11-26-2002, 02:00 AM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Unproven...

I have a VQ A-26 Invader but have not built it yet.
My friend Bill has one, almost ready to go with Spring Air gear, they just bolt in. The quality looks OK but I'm going to run glue down all the joints I can get to.The covering is good with great detail and the instructions say you can remove wrinkles with a heat gun. Kit has ABS necells and great fiberglass cowels and I'm looking foreward to building and flying it.
Check out Morris Hobby's site to see the prototype P-38 due in just after January.
Old 11-26-2002, 02:37 AM
JoeMamma

Default VQ Models

To SOUTHBAYP51

You didn't refer to which VQ model you had the trouble with ?

I ordered the A-26 twin from Morris about a month ago. It's supposed to be in about Dec. 4

Joe Mamma

There's no such thing as gravity..........the earth sucks !!
Old 11-26-2002, 02:44 AM
JoeMamma

Default VQ Models

To: Carlos Murphy

Please keep us informed about you and your friend's VQ A-26's.

I ordered one from Morris about a month ago. Should be in about Dec. 4

I just wanted to compare notes.

Joe Mamma

There's no such thing as gravity.........the earth sucks !!
Old 11-26-2002, 03:02 AM
pdansalvish
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default VQ Models

Hay guys,

Twinman from rcwatch.com did a mini review of the A-26. Go check it out.

Dave
Old 11-26-2002, 03:03 AM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Default VQ Zero

Last Xmas Santa got me a VQ Zero. I bought it from a guy on Ebay. In May I got a Magnum .61 for it, and started putting it together. I have assembled several ARFs, and this was pretty well made. I did however put some extra epoxy on the exposed glue joints. I also strengthened the horizontal stab by epoxying two strips of thin plywood to the underside. Then I epoxied a strip of fiberglass around the center wing joint. I figured it could use a little beefing up, especially since I was using a larger engine. I threw away the clevises that came with it; they are big, ugly black things. All the other hardware was pretty good.

It took me a long time to get the engine running right, and I won't fly a scale (or semi-scale) plane without a reliable engine. Yesterday was the first and second flights. Wow! That thing must have been going over 100 mph! It has mechanical retracts (from an EZ Zero ARF I flew several years ago) that work great. It flew great; easy to take off, very quick and agile, slowed down well and handled well on the landing.

All in all, I would say it's a well made ARF, but be careful to check the strength of the glue joints. I wouldn't recommend it for someone new to building, but it does look good and fly well.

Thomas (ho2zoo)
Old 11-26-2002, 07:52 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default VQ Models

My VQ Zero is still holding up after a dozen flights or so, even with high speed passes and several hard landings. Yes, the wood is brittle in some spots. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Unfortunately, the plastic canopy and wingtips have cracked.
Old 11-26-2002, 11:49 AM
ho2zoo
My Feedback: (5)

Default almost forgot...

Good looking Zero! Mine is the gray one too!

Couple of things I forgot to mention. The instructions aren't too bad, but I didn't figure out until after I got it built that the shelf that they put under the engine mount is where they expect you to put your battery pack! I put mine inside above the tank and then had to put about a pound of lead on that shelf to balance it. Well, if you put the pack out there it would get all oily and nasty anyway. It still flys great, even with all the lead.

I also coated the whole engine compartment with epoxy, cause I don't know how fuel-proof that black paint they used would be.

For the price, I think it's a good deal. Looks and flys just as good (or better) than my EZ Zero did, for a lot less.
Old 11-26-2002, 12:36 PM
f2racer

Default VQ Models

Hey Richard, what engine are you using in your Zero? I wanted the grey one, but they were all out So I got the green. Flies well on my Rossi 45, but I may put a 61 in it to get some more speed. The secret for the plastic it to coat/fill it with some plumbing spray foam. I've got about a dozen flights and no cracks yet.
Old 11-26-2002, 12:42 PM
f2racer

Default Re: VQ Zero

Originally posted by ho2zoo
Last Xmas Santa got me a VQ Zero. I bought it from a guy on Ebay.
From what I understand Richard the guy that sells them on eBay is not an authorized distributor or dealer for VQ/Morris. In fact they don't know where he get's his models from (I'm guessing that it's probably some gray market importing that he's doing). In any case from what I understand his models are quite a bit older (they don't come with pre-installed retracts which all current VQ come with), so the quality is not quite up to the current models. Be wary.
Old 11-26-2002, 06:34 PM
Richard L.

Default VQ Models

Originally posted by f2racer:
Hey Richard, what engine are you using in your Zero?
Hey f2racer, I have a YS FZ63 four stroke engine in my Zero. The engine hauls ***** and sounds good doing it. At full throttle, the plane flies at 120+ mph and almost has unlimited vertical even though it weighs 7 lbs 1.8 oz. As you can see from the picture, I mounted the engine inverted, which resulted in a very nice and clean look. I had to cut away the shelf under the engine to make room for the cylinder head. I installed my battery pack under the fuel tank and had to add 7.5 oz of lead to the nose to get the plane to balance. Nevertheless, this is still one great flying plane.

I got my Zero from eBay too, and I was informed that my Zero is around two to three years old. The newer version will be significantly better in terms of quality. I already have another gray one on back order from Morris Hobbies.
Old 11-26-2002, 06:53 PM
Richard L.

Default VQ Models

Here is a picture of the powerhouse in my Zero:

You can see the cool looking muffler and some of the nose weight I had to add. This YS FZ63 swings a Graupner 12x7 prop at 11,200 rpm with authority.
Old 11-26-2002, 06:58 PM
steve114

Default How much weight did you have to add?

There is nothing like a YS engine

I am thinking of using 2 of them on the new Kondor Models P-38, what do you think?

Steve
Old 11-26-2002, 07:07 PM
Richard L.

Default VQ Models

Hey Steve, if I could afford it, I would stick a pair of YS engines in the P-38 myself. Even though the YS FZ63 is a fairly heavy engine (18.1 oz), I still had to add 7.5 ounces of lead to the nose of my Zero, as mentioned earlier.
Old 11-26-2002, 08:31 PM
f2racer

Default VQ Models

Originally posted by Richard L.
I had to cut away the shelf under the engine to make room for the cylinder head. I installed my battery pack under the fuel tank and had to add 7.5 oz of lead to the nose to get the plane to balance. Nevertheless, this is still one great flying plane.
I cut the shelf as well, but to make room for the pitts muffler for the Rossi 45 I have. The engine is mounted on it's side and is almost entirely concealed. Did need to add 6 oz of lead up front. Guess that's a common theme with the Zero. Needs tons of weight up front to balance properly...

The Rossi flies well. But I'm pretty sure not as spritey as your YS (I've been achin' to try a 63, if it's anything like my 91, it'd be perfect for a 40 sized plane), but it pulls it around the sky nicely.

I've got a VQ P-40 on order myself. Morris says that they will be in next week, so I'm expecting mine the week after.
Old 11-26-2002, 09:23 PM
Carlos Murphy

Default steve 114

Tell us more about the Kondor Models P-38
Where can I see one?
What size are they?
What are they made of?
What are they covered with?
Do they take retracts?
Where are they made?
More, more, more...
Old 11-26-2002, 09:41 PM
steve114

Default The Kondor Models P-38

There are several threads on Kondor Models, and there owner has appeared here himself.

They have taken over the distribution of a high quality chinesse ARF manufacturer, and were selected by the RCV Engines Team.

You can find them at www.kmp.com, look at the New products, the P-38 (one of my all time Favorites) will have a wingspan of 82.7" and the Fuse is 59.8".

It will be balsa construction with a fiberglass fuse.

The kit includes pneumatic tricycle landing gear, and I think flaps, but I am not 100% of the flaps.

They will be in around March 2003. And you can't have mine!!!

I plan to power mine with 2 YS-63's though they say it only needs 2 .46 2 strokes or 2 .52 4 strokes.

I am in the bigger is better side of life.

They also have a new P-51, and you want to look at their Corsair, I am a warbird kind of guy so these really excite me

here is the line to get you to the New Page:

http://www.kmp.ca/new.htm

Steve
Old 11-26-2002, 10:57 PM
f2racer

Default VQ Models

Don't know if anybody noticed this from their website since it's almost info overload on the "coming soon" stuff, but VQ is also doing an 80" P-38 ARF. Looks very promising. I also noticed that Morris is bundling their A-26 with Spring Air retracts. Hope they do the same on their P-38... Love that Spring Air stuff!
Old 11-27-2002, 12:32 AM
Carlos Murphy

Default Steve114

Thanks for the intel, I'll check um out.
Carlos

The A 26 is comming WITH Spring Air's now???
Old 11-27-2002, 12:59 AM
f2racer

Default VQ Models

Looks like Morris is "bundling" it with the Invader for another $150. Not too shabby considering if you ordered it directly from Spring Air, it'd cost $185...
Old 11-27-2002, 01:19 AM
JoeMamma

Default VQ's A-26 Bomber

To: f2racer

Are you sure about the Spring Airs as a bundled option ?

I talked to Debbie at Morris about a month ago an ordered my A-26 (black colored).

From what I remembered, she said the next shipment will arrive (about Dec. 4) with pre-installed mechanical retracts, but are also set up for Spring Air's. She never mentioned anything about the Spring Air option, but, that was a month ago. Hopefully, you are correct.

It's too late to call her now (about 8:20 EST). I'll try to get a hold of her tomorrow.

Joe Mamma

There's no such thing as gravity.........the earth sucks !!
Old 11-27-2002, 01:36 AM
f2racer

Default VQ Models

Joe, I'm just going by what the Morris website says

http://morrishobbies.com/product_inf...roducts_id=435

They also have color selection now. I know the P-40s are coming with mechanical retracts, maybe she got her planes mixed up... The Spring Airs are supposedly a direct fit for this model according to rcwarbirds.com

Definitely give them a call and see! If they're doing Spring Airs I may just need to get myself an Invader too...
Old 11-27-2002, 02:17 AM
steve114

Default If I have to choose either a VQ or the new Kondor

I am going to take my shot on the Kondor, sight unseen.

I have faith that if the RCV team is going to use Kondor, that is all the endorsement I need.

I have a VQ Mig-3, and while it is a pretty plane, close inspection leaves a bit to be desired. You really can't do anything about the balsa under the covering, and while I can reinforce the glue joints that I can see, I really don't have a great feeling of the overall stability.

So if I am going to invest in a twin engine plane, and two expensive engines, then I want top quality in the ARF.

That approach seems reasonable to me.

and that is the way I am going to go

Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.