Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Yellow Edge 540T - 60 Size - Need help

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Yellow Edge 540T - 60 Size - Need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 06:46 PM
gsmarino2000
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Yellow Edge 540T - 60 Size - Need help

Yellow wanted me to try twisting the wing back and shrinking the covering to pull out the twist, and then call them back if it doesn't do the job. I worked on the wing for a couple of hours last night and was able to get some (but not all) of it out that way. It will be interesting to see it holds the new postion over time.

I'm plan to test fly it as soon as I can and see how much this helps before I call Yellow back.

Charlie, I will try your suggestion on landings.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 04-13-2004, 10:47 PM
gsmarino2000

Default RE: Yellow Edge 540T/ 60 - Need help (Solved the hard way)

Well guys, the problem solved itself the hard way []

The wind finally calmed today and I went out after work. I had gotten about 1/3 of the wing twist out by the method YAI recomended, but it still had at least 1.5 degrees of "wash in" on the left wing. Took it up, found that the behavior had not changed at all - still snaped out to the left in any but the most gentile loops.

Then what I have been afraid of happened. The plane was way off on the far end of the field and I used too much elevator to pull it tight around the corner. It was instantly inverted 45 degrees nose down at only 40 feet altitude. I flipped back over with the ailerons and was still headed for the dirt. I instinctively grabbed up elevator to save it. Big mistake - of course it snapped out again and I barely had time to cut the throttle before it hit [:@]

Front 2/3 of fusalage destroyed, but of course the !#@%X!! twisted wing was laying 3 feet away hardly scrached. Lucky for me it crashed in soft dirt, so no damage to the engine or radio equipment.

I've thought about calling Charles back and buying a new fuse, but for what - to install on the twisted wing? Probably not worth it.

Greg
Old 04-13-2004, 11:32 PM
FlooredCOBRA

Aww man sorry to hear about that.

What do you have your rates at on elevator?

I flew mine this weekend and cracked the fuse in half right in front of the wing. I was coming in for a landing and was about 1 foot from ground and stalled it. I was riding the wind we had then it stopped blowing and the plane dropped naturally.

I am so aggravated because my 100 is finally starting to break in and it was flying like a champ. I am thinking about selling my Edge and getting another one so I wont have a fixer upper. I want it to fly like it did when it was new which was awesome.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:48 PM
gsmarino2000

Charlie,

Sorry to hear about your damage as well, although yours sounds pretty easy to fix. Ultracoat has colors that are virtually a perfect match for the ones Fun Key uses.

My elevator throws were about +/- .50" on low rates and +/- .75" on high rates. The accident happened on low rates. I tried reducing elevator throw to about +/- 3/8", but then there was not enough up elevator to flare.

Greg
Old 04-14-2004, 11:56 PM
FlooredCOBRA

What are you guys using for power in your Edges?

I am using a Saito 100 and it does work fine but wish I had gone with something with more power.
Old 04-15-2004, 10:32 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Use 30% nitro fuel. Works wonders.

Jim
Old 04-19-2004, 09:11 PM
gsmarino2000

One last bit of information on this:

Because I had complained about the warped wing earlier and lost the plane due to the same problem, Yellow agreed to help me out on replacing the kit.

This time I will check everything for straightness BEFORE I assemble it!

PS: Charlie, mine was pretty much a rocket with the FA100 on 20/20 fuel.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 04-19-2004, 11:42 PM
FlooredCOBRA

I am beginning to think I may need to adjust my valves on my 100. A few guys at field mentioned that they may need to be adjusted some now since I ran it a good bit.

I tried several props from 15x6 to 14x8 to 14x6. I seemed to like the 14x6 the most especially compared to the 15x6. That 15x6 did turn but it seemed to really be under a load and moaned and groaned when at WOT.

To me I can hear like a pinging sound compared to the other 100's at the field. I knows it has a different sound but no one else can really hear it or tell that it is making that sound. But I know something does not sound right. I checked the gap in the valves but cant seem to get a good feel with the Gage. I never did adjust anything since it seemed different every time I checked it. I had the plug out and had it at TDC on compression stroke but just cant get a good feel with the Gage. one second they are the same and next one is closed. It has been aggravating but sure I will get it.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:49 PM
Hammbone
My Feedback: (309)

Greg,
It's good to hear that Yellow Aircraft helped you out on the kit replacement.
Maybe I'll see you at the field sometime.

Jim
Old 04-24-2004, 04:16 AM
montanacharlie
My Feedback: (1)

Greg
Glad to hear Yellow Aircraft is gonna help you out. Saito 100 is on the back burner for now due to the arrival of the Wildhare 28% extra 300lx. Glad to here that it is a rocket ship though. It is definitely on the list of things to get. Best of luck with your new edge. Keep us posted!

Flooredcobra
If you haven't already tried it. Give the APC 15x4w a try. Out of all of them that I tried, this one had the best pull and the best braking on the downlines. I'm not running the saito 100 yet, still running the os 91 fs and it turns about 9300 Rpms with this prop.

Charlie