Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

ThunderTiger Rare Bear

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

ThunderTiger Rare Bear

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 01:14 PM
MormonMike
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ThunderTiger Rare Bear

DT, think about a ST G-2300, but, the guys are right, $335------to steep for a 60 size, minus retracts............. Bag it, unless you can find some easy money somewheres. MJ[&o]
Old 04-29-2004, 02:01 PM
jbrundt

ORIGINAL: Frag

Now the backorder date is mid JUNE! Whats the deal Tower...it was mid May two days ago?!
Sounds like the Kyosho GeeBee Z issue from a few years ago. From the time I ordered mine (June/July 2002) until I received it was over 1 year of wait time and constant 'moving the expected due date back' [:-][X(]

Jeff
Old 04-29-2004, 03:23 PM
wldcwbypilot

Well, if you built from sticks and did all the work. It would be a masterpiece of construction, kit glue, glassing material, CA, copeous amounts of hardware and covering to get it to the arf version. I would estimate about 450.00 dollars to build it. So you tight wads loosen up abit, the arf may be pricey and you may end up spending a little here and there because the hardware is not as tight as you like it for your planes. Spend a little stimulate our economy and provide jobs for the Chinese, who need to eat too. Get over it CheapSkates, why don't you all argue about an american car that costs about the same as a new house.
Old 04-29-2004, 03:45 PM
Frag

Quantum Models say they've never had any and don't expect any until mid May. How did you already get one shipped Desert Toad?
Old 04-30-2004, 04:32 PM
Desert Toad

I ordered it over the internet a couple of weeks ago.

Then called to confirm my order went through. Got a guy on the phone who said they bought plenty and it wouldn't be a problem. Should arrive here on Tuesday. I'll let you guys know how it looks and upload some picts if I can figure out how.

Spent all my play money on it, so now I need a bargain on a powerplant.

Desert Toad
Old 05-02-2004, 05:52 PM
DagoNbr4

I've got a couple extra...go over and grab one of my engines.....Don't put that old ST 75 on her....See you memorial day....
Old 05-02-2004, 06:01 PM
P-51B
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: BasinBum

Hey Manfred if your gonna do analogies at least get it right. I think Magnum is more of a Hyundai while the OS is the Toyota, reliable, well made yet not the fastest or most powerful. Thundertiger has it's place, inbetween in my mind, maybe closer to a Nissan. Then you have the YS which is the Cadilac of engines or if your younger maybe Porshe would make more sense to you. Saito, maybe a BMW and let's not start with gas or electric.
It may be more apprpriate to say, YS is the BMW, Saito is the Mercedes, and and at the top end of quality you have JETT as the Cadillac.
Old 05-02-2004, 07:32 PM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be glad to take those OS engines off your hands and send you a few magnum paperwiegts in return. Saitos are WEAK, I know I own several. Magnums are rickety admit it!

ORIGINAL: wldcwbypilot

OS is like Ford, found on road dead. I have an OS 91 piece of junk, and I also have Magnum 91 and Saito 90 plus Magnums and Saitos in other size designations. I have very few problems with my engines but both my OS engines have never started by just flicking the spinner. It always requires use of an electric starter, my Magnums and Saitos start immediately after priming and a slight back flip of the spinners. Even my Magnum 80 out flies the OS 91 both have the same prop and are mounted in like sized and weighted aircraft. Magnums for their price are a very good value and offer way better performance than OS, which in my opinion should be a Yugo. You go get a better engine, buy a Magnum.
Old 05-02-2004, 07:44 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

i was not going to get involved because I personally dont like the Plane but just a fact , Magnum engines are desinged and enginered by a key enginer that was with OS . So the quality and thought process is the same or better , I have personally purchased the OS based on every OS snob telling me that it was the only engine in existence . Then when visiting Southen Cal i stopped in a Hobby Shack now hobby People and talked to an old timer RC pilot .He gave me the facts and I tried one and have never gone back . For the record I can afford much better the Os so its not a cost issues , its a feature and benifits issue VS marketing and advertising issues . I was fooled the same way with Robart gear , went with the GURUs suggestions on Robart , now for 120 size planes and under I only but century . Ya I know there are a ton of post on both companies, again just put them side by side compare the cost and do a benifits/features analysis and see the one that wins .
Old 05-02-2004, 11:35 PM
Desert Toad

Dago Number 4....Always liked the old paint scheme and number better....

Just formed a sponsor team to help get the new bear in the air.

For a $500 donation you get a sticker, just like the real bear.

Now I just need a sponsor team for the retracts....what brand and size would fit?

Dago4 - if the other Dago would crash the Ultrastik 40, I'd take your Jett 90 back...

See ya soon.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:45 PM
DagoNbr6

Dear Desert toad.
With your skills I'd start out with a LA 40 on the Bear. He He. Nothing beats a Dago Red super speedster.
Old 05-03-2004, 10:59 PM
Desert Toad

Hmmm, as I recall the Dago Super Speedster had just a small OS 61, and barely got airborne. That was until that son of (#*$! landed on it.

happy flying.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:10 PM
DagoNbr6

Gettin shot down on the ground doesn't count. The ground is the only place it could be caught.
Old 05-04-2004, 01:30 AM
DagoNbr4

Desert Toad,

If I recall the race you speak of (which I just happen to have video of).... the old Dago Super Speedster whopped the #4%2* out of something that was red, white and blue....Oh that was Miss America before you flew her into the construction shed...

Fastfastdago,

How would you like a sponser (and co-team pilot) to team up with? I'm sure a couple "Red P51's" and some "Real Engines" could show Rare Bear how to lose gracefully (Just like in Reno)?
Old 05-04-2004, 01:36 AM
DagoNbr4

Fastfastdago,

Sorry about the ground mishap with the pace plane......was still flustered with how my OS engine let me down that day. Nothing but JETT for now on. You with me?
Old 05-04-2004, 07:52 AM
Frag

Desert Toad, did your TT Rare Bear arrive yet from Quantum Models?
Old 05-04-2004, 08:35 AM
DagoNbr6

I hear ya dagoNbr4
Old 05-04-2004, 08:37 AM
MANFRED
My Feedback: (27)

I agree with you that Magnum engines do run, and a few actually run well, I know I've owned and do currently own and operate Magnums. But come on quit deluding yourself, the magnums have at least 20 to 25% less power than either OS or Saitos of the same CC. To compare OS with magnums is just not fair, sure they run and will tow your crate around and maybe continue to run during the duration of the flight, just as a moped will get you to your destination as well, would you want to get caught dead riding on one? All around OS takes the ring, less power than YS but a lot easier to operate in the long run, a bit more power than Saito and a hell of alot easier to break in and start, not as cheap as Magnums but alot more reliable and powerful. Sure they save a little money, but please don't convince newbies to four stroke power that Magnums are the way to go, once they've spent days trying to find airleaks, loose tappets, and the all too famous separating muffler on the 120 which falls off in flight and can never be found, then the $50 to $100 difference in price may seem like a small price to pay for reliability and peace of mind.
ORIGINAL: LDM

i was not going to get involved because I personally dont like the Plane but just a fact , Magnum engines are desinged and enginered by a key enginer that was with OS . So the quality and thought process is the same or better , I have personally purchased the OS based on every OS snob telling me that it was the only engine in existence . Then when visiting Southen Cal i stopped in a Hobby Shack now hobby People and talked to an old timer RC pilot .He gave me the facts and I tried one and have never gone back . For the record I can afford much better the Os so its not a cost issues , its a feature and benifits issue VS marketing and advertising issues . I was fooled the same way with Robart gear , went with the GURUs suggestions on Robart , now for 120 size planes and under I only but century . Ya I know there are a ton of post on both companies, again just put them side by side compare the cost and do a benifits/features analysis and see the one that wins .
Old 05-04-2004, 05:33 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

MANFRED . I suggest you keep marketing Os and I will keep being honest , as far as newbees Ithink they prefer honesty over history .When I see a comparison on engines done by a non partison source on engine performance I will but the winner . So far all I have seen is so called experts , and magizine reviews done by none other then people who gain huge ad dollars from Os . Remember I am not knocking OS and there quality or perfomance , all I am say is that its over rated in the Value to cost relationship to other brands . This is a common issues in marketing . As far as mopeds , personally I am secure enought to ride a pink bike so the moped comparison makes no sence to me
Old 05-05-2004, 08:54 PM
sbaugz
My Feedback: (37)

Seems like a few of you guys are getting a little off topic in this discussion. Maybe you should take your ranting and raving over to the engines forum.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:01 PM
BasinBum

ORIGINAL: Frag

Desert Toad, did your TT Rare Bear arrive yet from Quantum Models?
Yea, I'm waitin to hear the answer to this also.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:31 PM
DagoNbr6

What's up desert toad where is it?
Old 05-06-2004, 06:50 AM
jbrundt

Desert Toad you should have gotten your plane by now.................................
Old 05-06-2004, 08:37 AM
BasinBum

Maybe it should be Desert Load.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:40 AM
Backwing
My Feedback: (3)

I just checked Towers site and it said that the Rare Bear won't ship till mid June.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.