Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

ThunderTiger Rare Bear

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

ThunderTiger Rare Bear

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 02:09 AM
Tony Pacini

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ThunderTiger Rare Bear

Greetings-

Has Ace released an improved stab for this model? Stab failures seem to be pretty common and I'm wondering if Ace has done anything about it yet.

I got an early one (November 2004) and haven't built it yet. I pulled the sheeting off my stab and wasn't happy with how flimsy it was so I shelved the project.

I won't use the stab I have. I'd consider buying a "better" one if it's available. As a last resort I'll build one myself.

Any good news?
Old 02-06-2006, 12:19 PM
bignasdy

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I called ace and was givin the run around. The guy treated me like an idiot, but he was the one that didnt know squat. He denied stab faliures had occured, until I brought up this forum.....then he sidestepped the issue totaly, telling me to void the warrenty, and open the stab up if I was so concerned.. I had already built a new one, but didnt tell him that. Personaly, Im done with ace, and wont buy anything from them again.
d
Old 02-06-2006, 01:12 PM
Desert Toad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting stuff about Ace - I suppose we should boycott all their brands, not just TT. So besides TT, Ace, and MRP, what other brands do they own?

And check this out, you might all run over and leave a message - I did! http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_38...tm.htm#3875757

DT
Old 02-08-2006, 01:47 PM
bignasdy

I tell ya what......this plane has been the biggest pain in the butt.
Because the tank sits so low, I opted for a pump to help the supertiger eat. But after contacting conley engines to discuss the pump, I was informed that it wont work on side mounted engines, and will just flood the ST all the time.
So I have to send the pump to conley, and they are gonna exchange it for a metered pump, that works off crank pressure. So, I have to tap a hole in the rear case cover.
What a pain. looks like the chinese could come up with better retract options, besides 200 bucs for the air stuff. Conley BTW: was very helpful and nice, and I feel very supported by them. Ace on the other hand can bite my butt.
This plane is gonna be older than dirt before I get to fly it.
What did yall do about the tank position, (besides air retracts) and what motor ya using and hows it run?
Thanx
d
Old 02-08-2006, 05:52 PM
Biggles2

All my mods are complete. No problems found with the stab after delving inside for a look. I did firm them up and Iv modified the main wing connection ( NO GAPS ANY MORE ). I will post a full de-breif after the installation flight to let you chaps see how I got on.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:20 AM
Biggles2

Can anyone tell me where I can buy spare parts for the Rare bear... ie : Cowl....[] mines crazed and splitting with all the viberation etc..
Old 02-09-2006, 07:02 AM
Tony Pacini

ORIGINAL: bignasdy

What did yall do about the tank position, (besides air retracts) and what motor ya using and hows it run?
Thanx
d
Size, weight, and gear length all but require the use of metal pneumatic retracts over the plastic mechanical ones they recommend. I contacted Robart, found out what they used on their TT Rare Bear, and ordered the same stuff for myself: 551RS 85-degree robostrut ready retracts, 661L/661R Robostruts, and 188VRX Deluxe Air Control Kit.

As for tank position I will be using a YS engine which utilizes crankcase pressure to pressurize the tank. Fuel tank will be over the CG and position will not be a problem (flooding or otherwise).
Old 02-09-2006, 09:16 AM
Biggles2

I fabricated a fuel tank housing which sits nicely on the centet line of the engine and also accomodates the air retract cylinder. I have gone with Robart 188VRX and the 650 series 90 degree set. I have also fabricated new wheel doors which fit into the wheel wells . The engine I use is TT 91 Pro with a 3 blade prop 12.5x7 Graupner. The tank supplied by TT is rubbish , I went with a 18oz Dubro which sits right on the CG. It works well for me. Dont pay too much attention to TT's methods, the chaps on this forum have more ideas based on experience....
Old 02-19-2006, 08:07 AM
techone

Just got through crashing my Rare Bear, should have read this amazingly long thread.

Built it according to the instructions, including the addendum included in the kit, flew it three times, third flight, decided to see what the beast could do, and bang. The plane did the most violent pull up i have ever seen, accompanied with a very load bang. Thought that was all she wrote, but it didn't snap at all, just went 90 deg straight up. Seemed everything was OK until i tried to control the elevators. Nothing but a very small amount of up, and lots of down. Stripped a metal gear servo real good.

real hard to fly slow enough to land like that, put it in the water at the end of the strip.

Not a lot of damage but enough to write of the fuse and the cowl, and the tail halves have almost come off the plane along with both the rods breaking inside the fuse.

Go back to the TT Dealer here, and guess what, TT has issued a notice to all dealers that the tail fails. I have a copy of this thanks to the dealer. Dated 1 month after i bought the plane, but also 1 month before i finished it. It says that newer stronger tails will be sent FOC to the dealers to be put into any stock they have. Better ribs and planking as well as better fiberglass rods.

Right now i am fighting to get the kit replaced, we will have to wait and see what happens.

I really should have read the 51 pages here first. Will do so in the future before i buy any new kit.

Old 02-19-2006, 12:47 PM
ZiZoforEvEr

Hi every body .
can any one tell me, if i need to modify the firewall and the cowl if i use 160 OS
Old 02-20-2006, 09:43 AM
bignasdy

techone...sorry to hear about the mishap...servo failure sounds like the problem from your description of the event.
I wonder why there is soooo many problems on this plane......
Anyway, Im usin the Tt retracts.....I have used similar before with no problems. Finaly got the tank mounted under the retract servo, all foamed in nicely. The tank dosent sit low enough for me to worry about, so.......if I need a pump, Ill get a regualated perry pump for it, but I hear that supertigres dont run well on pumps so..........
whatever happens happens, but my tail aint gonna break, and I hope the servos dont blow.......and I hope the motor gets enough fuel, and..and ..an...........
cyall l8r
d
Old 02-20-2006, 02:05 PM
Biggles2

I first tried TT retracts and failed big time. Too much flex under load, I opted for robarts 1/2 inch 650 air with VR valve , they work a treat and look the biz. I like your positive view on the tail ( NOT GOING TO FAIL ) and as for the tank , a pump is needed ....and your choice is the right one.......good luck with V1----------Rotate---------------V2 positive rate of climb oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooopppppppppppppppppppp pppppppps
Old 02-20-2006, 05:30 PM
bignasdy

d
Old 02-20-2006, 05:36 PM
bignasdy

havent had an oooooooooops in years.
I build right.....and fly right.........
If the junk retracts wont take a greeeeeeezed landing........I'll keep em tucked.
Cant wait to see what I think of this plane....
d
Old 02-21-2006, 03:17 AM
Biggles2

It seems to me that you know what your doing and what to expect......Im not being crictical or anything like that........I hope you do better than most on this thread as I have.... its a fab bit of kit if its sorted from the start...it shouldnt be treated as an ARTF it should be treated as if you constructed the whole thing yourself.............Im sure you have figured that one out.........I hope you get the WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOO factor from it............
Old 02-21-2006, 09:07 AM
bignasdy

te he.........yea I hear ya.............I never seen so many problems on one design........
I made the mods yall suggested....and then some, ......hope i didnt forget anything.
Im gonna try to run it with the tank setup as is, and Ill know before flying it, if it will work. Heck....I figured Id be flyin it by now but........getting the wing right was a bit of a pain...along with the rest of the plane.
I wish everyone everywhere good luck with this plane...
d
Old 02-21-2006, 04:35 PM
Biggles2

If you click on the link at the foot of this thread (MY MODELS) you can see a picture of my Bear cowless ...the original has cracked and split and Im waiting for a new one to arrive... I repaired and messed around with it and it started to look really shabby in the end... hence a new on the way......
Old 02-21-2006, 07:55 PM
bignasdy

There many ways to mount a cowl that will never crack just from flying or nose overs. Il get some pics on here when I mount mine. Im probly gonna do that last..not knowing what all will go in there yet.
I like your pc9...very pretty!
d
Old 02-21-2006, 11:07 PM
techone

Not sure if the tail failed and killed the servo, or the servo failed and broke the tail. But the tail is broke big time. Hanging by a tread. Both halves pulled away from the rib that is glued to the fuse, as well as both of the fiberglass rods breaking inside the fuse.

Never before have i seen such a viloent pull up, without the snap. The Sukhoi i had before this one was a pig for that. Dont loop unless you are real sure where the ground is. Too much up, and thats all she wrote. But lots of fun in a snap roll.

I am leaving the wreckage as is until TT come back to me about the replacement or not. So far looks like it might get replaced. The notice to the dealers i have shows that they have been listening to the people who fly the planes. More wood in the ribs (3 layers) better planking and thicker fibergalss tubes. All for free to the dealers to put into the kits they have in stock. Doesnt say what to do if the kit is already built or crashed.

As for the tank, i put it under the retract servo tray as well. Three flights, (the second trying to see if it would climb straght up) and i didnt have any issues with the engine (OS 90).

The retracts are TT as well. VERY flexible on the ground. With the Sukhoi, if i was landing too fast i could power slide the beast to slow up, definatly not with this one. I guess if the retracts were more solid the mounting could become a problem. My thing is, it looks good flying, why worry about what it looks like when is is on the ground, as long as it works.

If TT come good with a replacement, the tail will get opened, checked and strengthened if needed, and there will be two micro servos in the tail halves. I want to keep the linkage as short as possible. I intend to use ball joints linkaeges from my helecopter to reduse the slop.

Will have to wait and see what happens.

Old 02-24-2006, 05:52 PM
Rbeav533

By any chance could you scan the document you have regarding the tail problem and post it here on RCU ??

Rich

Old 02-24-2006, 09:51 PM
p51mech38
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Biggles2

Can anyone tell me where I can buy spare parts for the Rare bear... ie : Cowl....[] mines crazed and splitting with all the viberation etc..
Infanatehobbies.com That guy had me RB parts in two days!
Old 02-24-2006, 10:27 PM
Tony Pacini

Good news! Just got the new and improved stab and rods for my TT Rare Bear and must say that I am VERY happy with the revised pieces. They appear to be quite stout and I will not hesitate to use them. The sheeting is rock-hard.

I can hardly wait to get it finished and in the air!

Old 02-25-2006, 04:00 AM
techone

OK here goes.

The three pics are my tail, didnt come all the way off, but the servo was trashed, and the control linkage was bent, so i had only a very small amount of up elevator.

The document was sent by email to distributors in the form of a power point. Screen shot it into JPG.

So far it has been three weeks since it went in, and TT still hasnt made the desicion either way to replace the kit or not.

Hope this doensnt mess that up. Oh well, what ever.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61374.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	415140   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54766.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	415141   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64537.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	415142   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yr47977.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	415143   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hs96258.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	415144  
Old 02-25-2006, 12:34 PM
BASHER
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey all,just ordered a rb,wondering if the new kits will have the addendum and new stab included? do'nt want a old kit! i guess i'll have a good looksy before i take home from the hs,also i'm not going out so much for speed as i am a nice scale looking bird,was thinking of a fpe 21cc gasser,total auw of engine and muffler is 42oz.not counting the elec.ig.and batt,but those can be installed on the c of g,what do you think?
Old 02-25-2006, 01:03 PM
-Stevo-

So, has anybody tried to contact ACE since the release of this Amendum? I've had the Rare Bear kit for over a year now but still haven't built it, I've also moved to a different state... just wondering out loud how I would go about getting a hold of the new stabs.

Anyone seen what's on "[link=http://www.acehobby.com/ace/TTR4573.htm]soon to be released[/link]" list from Tunder Tiger? How many of those that were left with a bad taste in their mouth from the Rare Bear will give TT a second chance with this one? Has TT leraned a thing or two from the Rare Bear kit and made sure this one will not have the same problems?

As a side note, I was talking to a sales rep from TT at the 2004 Reno Air Races... his vision was to have a complete line-up of Racer Models... Is this a start to that vision? If so, which aircraft would you like to see modeled? I'll take a modle of [link=http://www.warbirdaeropress.com/PhGal/nfpicturepro/thumbnails.php?album=36]Czech Mate[/link] Thank You

Oh, and for all those that were looking for a scale model... They've [link=http://www.acehobby.com/ace/TTR4578.htm]Got one[/link] on the way.

So many questions....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.