Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

ThunderTiger Rare Bear

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

ThunderTiger Rare Bear

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 05:01 PM
Frag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ThunderTiger Rare Bear

So, they admit that the tail section is a failure waiting to happen. Will they send a new tail section to all those with the old kits that are built or being built?? Man, how about all the RB that have crashed due to this problem and destroyed valuable servos, engines etc with it? Are they going to reimburse for those losses? How can it not be a worthy class-action? Mine is built just sitting and now *** am I to do? Fly and have a really good chance of it disintegrating in the air or just take out all the gear and never fly it? I'll probably just take my chances and just hope the new Saito 1.80 doesn't break on impact [>:]
Old 02-25-2006, 11:32 PM
-Stevo-

Checking around the Thunder Tiger website and I came across a forum board they have. [link=http://www.acehobby.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=92&PN=1]HERE[/link] is a response to a "What do I do with my stabs" sort of question that was recently asked. Now WHERE did I put that receipt for the kit I bought over a year ago?
Old 02-26-2006, 12:05 AM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So if I got my Rare Bear at Tower Hobbies Quantum, I should be able to get this new upgraded stab from them?

Do I pay or is it a free retrofit? (less shipping of course)

Don

Gee, been so long ago that I got mine I had to re-read the thread to see where mine came from. LOL
Old 02-26-2006, 03:45 PM
Biggles2

Cheers 'd' ...the PC9 is very nice to fly and built like its made of steel...real belt and braces stuff... Im looking forward to seeing how you sort the cowl...I hope your build is progressing nicely...Im going to have ago at my local distributor about these stab replacements and see if I can get a result ...ill keep you posted...but you knew that already
Old 02-27-2006, 09:46 AM
bignasdy

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Im glad something is happening at Ace. I was told there werent any stab failures, until I brought up this thread, then was told that only overpowered planes experienced problems.
GAWD!
I can see that the elevator is way too big for the stab, and the stab will fail.....just by looking at it and wiggling it around, anyone could see that.
I finaly have the retracts in and working perfectly, the tank is in, etc etc etc. Just need to tighten up the rudder cables a little bit, and Im gonna add a brass tube to the stock elevator pushrod to stiffin a bit, as I detect flex next to the servo.
I cant beleive it happened but I ran some ca all over the dang tail while gluing in the rudder hinges. Gee guys, ya dont need a 1/32 inch cut to slide a hinge in place. So I guess Il have to sand the tail down and repaint the tailsection......Grummble grumble grumble.......looks like the hinge slots were cut with a cutoff wheel! how goofy on there part and mine.
Anyway, its comin along.
I do have one problem I havent figured out yet. I dont know what kind of resin they use (overthere), but I havent been able to get epoxy or ca to stick to the cowl. It peels right off. Anysuggestions?
Once I figure that out, I'll mount the cowl.
good luck fellas, and thanx for all the info and pics and adendum.
d
Old 02-27-2006, 01:57 PM
Biggles2

Sorry to here you splashed CA over the tail... Iv tried a few things when cleaning CA off surfaces... neat petrol on a linen cloth works mixed with brasso , or meths .gentle rubbing sorts it .... its worth a try...
Old 02-27-2006, 04:11 PM
Dave G
My Feedback: (1)

Biggles2, Does that translate into "MEK on a rag"? I've never heard of neat petrol
Old 02-27-2006, 05:34 PM
bignasdy

Im gonna try something a buddy of mine says desolves it imediatly.....hope it dont eat the gelcoat.
Ive got some debonder but dont know if itll remove this big run.
Thanx
d
Old 02-27-2006, 07:10 PM
p51mech38
My Feedback: (3)

You know what I think is funny. We just did a wing mod on the real Rare Bear because of some bad air going from the wing to under the tail. I wonder if the same bad air is causing a tail buffet just like the full size Bear?
Old 02-28-2006, 01:26 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Mech, that's a real teaser.....

can you tell us more pls? maybe the same wing mods could help on the model, can you post a pic or a sketch?

thanks.

Old 02-28-2006, 08:43 AM
Biggles2

Sorry to here you splashed CA over the tail section.....Brasso mixed with a small amount petrol or meths on a linen cloth usally works...rubb gently.....it should disipate.... it might do the trick
Old 02-28-2006, 12:43 PM
Biggles2

not sure its called MEK ! however....neat petrol is what you americans call gasoline..... we british are a bit quirky.....though than name MEK is interesting ,where does that come from ?
Old 02-28-2006, 01:45 PM
Rbeav533

ORIGINAL: Biggles2

not sure its called MEK ! however....neat petrol is what you americans call gasoline..... we british are a bit quirky.....though than name MEK is interesting ,where does that come from ?
MEK is the short acronym for Methyl Ethyl Ketone, it's a solvent.

Rich

Old 03-01-2006, 07:51 AM
Biggles2

[img][/img]
Old 03-02-2006, 08:51 AM
bignasdy

Thanx for the advice fellas....... Il give anything a try. If it dont come off, I may sand it and make a warbird outta the thing. Time to start makin rivits? lol
Got the cowl mounted and will post pics a soon as I get a moment.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:59 PM
p51mech38
My Feedback: (3)

We took some camber out of the wing(moved the entire leading edge up about 2 inches). The untrained eye will never see it, but if you look carefully you may notice the hump missing from the top of the wing root inlet. #1 pic old intakes #2 new intakes. They are a little smaller too. #3 is me getting ready for a launch. That's me in the dark red shirt.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30591.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	418903   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56437.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	418904   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50539.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	418905  
Old 03-02-2006, 11:02 PM
rare_bear
My Feedback: (1)

i might have spoken to ya in sept... not sure... are ya tall and wear glasses? i spoke to someone in the hanger during the races who seemed interested in model airplanes and the rare beat ARF kit... could it be you?

do ya know if you're back to developing full horsepower capacity again with these recent mods?

who's the new pilot?
Old 03-03-2006, 12:51 AM
bignasdy

mech......great pics!
Thanx
you a cool dude anyway........
some may not know how lucky they are to have you involved in their modeling but.....I do, and I know the folks on this thread appreciate ya!
Thanx again!
d
PS: not sure what effects the full scale versus the model may be, ........all I know is,....
this Model = Bad tail design.....
The tail must live for the plane to live....
same as full scale. Flutter will kill you.
Yall wouldnt be 9 time world champs if that basic rule was ignored.
God Bless
Old 03-03-2006, 12:57 AM
bignasdy

OH AND BTW"[:-]
IM IN LOVE WITH SHERRY HANCOCK SINCE 6 -2 -2005![X(]
Old 03-03-2006, 03:08 AM
techone

Well, TT has done it!!!!

They have come good with a complete new kit. Complete with the vesion 2 modified tail.

Even though it took 4 weeks to get it sorted out., i am still not too peeved about it. I get the feeling that they wish they hadnt made this kit, but if they can verify that the cause was the tail, and the kit was bought before nov 2005 they will probably replace it.

I would suggest that all of the dead bear owners go back to their suppliers and push for a new one. If that fails try the customer service on the web site direct.

After all is said and done i will be building this one a little different that hte last one. Servos in the tail for a start.

More later when i get the beast rebuilt.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:43 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

nice pics Mech, thanks!

the spinner in the "old" bear is white and the new bear has a gold one... (rattle the spray cans everyone!)[X(]

Junior, do you own a RC "copy" of the bear? or anyone else in the team?
Old 03-03-2006, 01:46 PM
bignasdy

okay, the first and second pics are the lower mounts.
This particular mount has a nut sandwhiched between plywood, and two triangle braces to spread the load. An allen screw goes through the mount, and into a blind nut on the firewall. The mount is assembled, then bolted to the firewall, then the cowl goes in place and is tack glued to the mount. The bolts are then removed, and the mounts on the cowl glassed in.
Now...theres several ways to make mounts. Generaly, I just make rectangle ones.
You can also use plastic screws, but the way this mount is built, the nut keeps the screw in place.....unless you back it out too far. Its simple, easy and effective.
Now let me clarify something I said in a previous post. Nothing will ever keep your cowl from damage from noseovers and stuff like that, but this mount system spreads the load well,and your cowl will not only look better, it will last longer. I have hanger queens that are 20 years old, and the cowl mounts are still in place, and the cowls like new. You can see in the other pics that I chose to put a hole in the front of the cowl to run my allen t wrench through. Thats not neccesary if ya have ball drivers that long.I dont mind the hole. The top mount is also the same type. I hope this may help spmeone to keep their cowls nicer for longer..it does work well. This may also spark yalls personal desighns...whomknows.
D
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32399.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	419326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15699.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	419327   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34496.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	419328   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ic84783.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	419329   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh58242.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	419330  
Old 03-03-2006, 02:05 PM
Biggles2

I like the cowl fixing idea...very neat... I read that you might turn your Bear into a warbird... Im building a top flite spit at the moment and on the forum under top flite there is guy who is building an F8F and it looks the BIZ..on that forum theres a guy who makes canopies to suit the bear ...so it looks like a warbird instead of a reno racer..thought you might be interested. check it out ..let me know what you think..
Biggles2
Old 03-04-2006, 06:01 AM
Biggles2

The Nuremberg Showcase Toy Fair was last month and TT have a new model in the offering. You guessed it .....its an F8F Bear cat in navy colours... its very good ...
Old 03-04-2006, 11:58 PM
-Stevo-

Ahhh Hemmm...

ORIGINAL: Stevo-RCU

Oh, and for all those that were looking for a scale model... They've [link=http://www.acehobby.com/ace/TTR4578.htm]Got one[/link] on the way.
From post #1270

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.