Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

ThunderTiger Rare Bear

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

ThunderTiger Rare Bear

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 08:29 PM
jp928
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ThunderTiger Rare Bear

I may have missed some stuff here (cant read it all!), but a friend bought a used Bear recently. The stab was not straight so he removed it. He x-rayed it first (cos he could), and found the CF spar on one side did NOT reach the next rib out from the root! This would allow the stab half to flex at the root and eventually break off.
Nice to see TT have revised something up the back, will be interested to see what and how.
jp
Old 03-09-2006, 10:35 PM
Frag

After all this tail talk and the apparent availability from Ace for an upgraded tail surfaces, I thought I'd try to get the parts. I bought my RB from Tower in 2003! I went back to the Tower Hobbies site and reprinted the receipt. I faxed this to Ace Hobby along with a short explanation that I had purchased the arf and had never flown it due to the known weakness of the tail and the probability of failure and loss of the entire plane, engine, servos...
That was about ten days ago. I couldn't believe it when I got the package today containing the upgraded horizontal stabilizers and thicker rods from Ace Hobby. So thats the good part. The bad part is that that is all that was in the box, two horizontal stabilizers and one short rod and one long rod. Why is that bad? The plane is already built! I now have to somehow cut off the glued on elevators and reuse them. Also I have to somehow cut/remove the glued on horizontal stabilizers from the fuselage. and salvage the glued in torque rods and plastic torque bearings. I gotta do all that without damaging the fuse somehow. What a pain in my arse. Any suggestions on ways you guys would approach this especially a way to get the stabs off the fuse without tearing up the fuse[:@]
Old 03-10-2006, 04:56 AM
BASHER
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fraq! get yourself a piece of piano wire or guitar string,then wrap it around your hands(wear gloves)then just like a saw, start with back and forth motions using the fuse as a guide,the heat genarated by this motion melts the epoxy! i've used this method several times without a hitch.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:51 PM
Warbird Crazy
My Feedback: (3)

Ok guys,
I don't have one of these, but have wanted one. Ihave read this whole thread. Wow and still want one. Would it be possible to modify the tail section where a person could build a solid one piece horizontal stab that you could slide in and glue in place. Haven't seen the set up just wondering?
Happy Landings.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:40 PM
rare_bear
My Feedback: (1)

YES!

that is how it should be done imo.
you would want to dremel out the fiberglass fusalage quite precisely to look good and before you glue the solid elevator in, add some lite ply footing to the fusalage to increase the glue contact area with the stabilizer.

while you are at it, make the stabilizer a bit larger and the elevator control surface a bit smaller, keeping the overall perimiter dimensions the same. as it now stands, the elevator is just to large (tho it does mimic the full scale bear) for a 60 size model airplane.

also, while you're in there fixing up the rear end, why not take all of that heavy plywood out of the tail and redesign it to be lightweight and part of the structural strength.

yes, i've wanted one of these myself but never bought one because of the serious problems others have uncovered. TT really did not know what the hell they were doing when they designed this. it seems like whoever designed it NEVER flew a model airplane with retracts - therefore, they had no clue that YES, people do like to make warbirds and reno racers have plenty of power under the hood to haul ass and YES, the retracts shou,d not have to be tampered with in order to unbolt the wing. in fact, for a 60 sized bird, why the need to have seperate wing halfs on a wing tube at all???? why not a solid wing that's glued together and then just screw on the bottom part of the fusalage? and they should be designed from the beginning to be able to handle an OS160 or YS140 without falling apart in the air and endangering others.

i see that TT has a few new models coming soom 1) september fury 2) a navy bearcat.... makes one wonder if they'll get it right this time or not.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:02 PM
Warbird Crazy

Well thanks Rare Bear. I have only seen pics of the plane but that looked like it might be a way to fix it. I have a Royal Bearcat that I built and it was put together that way. maybe someone will try it.
Happy Landings!
Old 03-12-2006, 01:16 PM
Biggles2

I think the the new Navy Bearcat will be the same model with a different canopy,decals etc...with the stiffened stab.. its all about the costs..they will not do anymore than they have too......and as for the Sea fury ...buy one from seagul they are much better,,flaps,,retracts the works and well finished for an ARTF
Old 03-12-2006, 05:54 PM
p51mech38

ORIGINAL: vasek

nice pics Mech, thanks!

the spinner in the "old" bear is white and the new bear has a gold one... (rattle the spray cans everyone!)[X(]

Junior, do you own a RC "copy" of the bear? or anyone else in the team?
I have stayed away because of all the issuses. So I am going to build one out of a Dymond. I also have a 1/4 scale Precious Metal almost finished... with the counter rotating props.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:39 PM
-Stevo-

ORIGINAL: Biggles2
I think the the new Navy Bearcat will be the same model with a different canopy,decals etc...with the stiffened stab.. its all about the costs..they will not do anymore than they have too......
I'd be willing to bet it has a longer wingspan too.. at least it should.

edit: I stand corrected... I just checked the Ace website. The Bear and the stock F-8F have the same wingspan. Odd.
Old 03-12-2006, 10:28 PM
rare_bear
My Feedback: (1)

I just checked the Ace website. The Bear and the stock F-8F have the same wingspan. Odd.
not odd at all - this tells me a couple of possible scenearios:

1) TT has not done their homework (again)
2) TT is using the same design parameters as before (a different canopy as required) with a different paint and covering scheme - lol
Old 03-13-2006, 12:58 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Biggles2

buy one from seagul they are much better,,flaps,,retracts
I would get the new YT International / KMP Sea Fury, with scale split flaps and improved retracts:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42201.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	425206   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23129.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	425207  
Old 03-13-2006, 01:06 AM
Richard L.

ORIGINAL: Stevo-RCU

Oh, and for all those that were looking for a scale model... They've [link=http://www.acehobby.com/ace/TTR4578.htm]Got one[/link] on the way.
The cowl already looks way off. The bottom of the cowl should taper less than the top of the cowl. The cowl on the smaller Dymond F8F looks much more scale. Somebody needs to do some serious homework.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:22 AM
bignasdy

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

nice looking fury...where can I get one?
Ive put the bear in th corner, tired of messing with it........Ive learned over the years to put it down.....before ya get to the point of stepping on it! LOL
Il pick it up later...
d
Old 03-13-2006, 09:35 AM
Biggles2

Wow I love the fury ...watch engine are slipping in .... thats just what Im looking for....
Old 03-13-2006, 10:10 AM
Richard L.

ORIGINAL: bignasdy

nice looking fury...where can I get one?
You can order one from: [link]http://www.kmp.ca/classics.htm[/link]

I don't know if the new shipment has arrived in the states yet, so it's best to give KMP a call. The pictures they have on their website are of the old Sea Fury. The new Sea Fury has pretty accurate colors. It will require at least a heavy 1.20 four stroke. The new Magnum 1.80 four stroke or a 25cc gasser would work great.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:20 PM
Biggles2

Iv sent an email re: shipping to the uk ...lets see what they say !!! How did you get on with the CA spill....
Old 03-13-2006, 06:35 PM
bignasdy

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Its a big line from the verticle all the way down to the fuse bottom. It sucks..........Ive tried a bunch of stuff on it including some suggestions from here. I guess Ill be sanding it and painting it. Im just gonna keep flying for a couple weks....til the interest comes back. I love that fury thogh...may get one before I do bear.
thanx for the great info yall...
d
Old 03-14-2006, 05:43 AM
Biggles2

Me too..the fury is fab ...... I love the Hurrican..I could be tempted to get both ...Iv just got keep it from the boss of the household..... and filter the pair in gently
Old 03-14-2006, 01:17 PM
Biggles2

Iv been onto KMP and they dont deliver to the UK because of the damage claims...... I was well fired up for a fury....... [&o]
Old 03-14-2006, 03:42 PM
Richard L.

You know you can order the Sea Fury from YT International, the designer of the Spit, 109, and Hurricane, in the UK: [link]http://www.ytinternational.co.uk/index.htm[/link]
Old 03-14-2006, 04:33 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Bignasdy.
Ca glue are best removed with pure nitro.
Simple as that!

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Old 03-14-2006, 10:55 PM
Desert Toad

Hey all,

I'm to the point that I just want to let my Bear crash, and then get a plane that is built well enough to handle my YS 1.10 (thanks to AMERIC & OLDMIL).

I've already spent way more than enough time on the gear repairs (Robart retracts ripped out twice) to make me not want to fix the tail. So let er crash, and pray the motor and radio are okay, then buy a big bird build by Wold Models. Nuff Said.

Now if TT would let me send in my old RB for a newer version, I might consider it, but for right now the time it took to put the first one together, I'm not gonna do it again!

And I'd bet TT reps quit reading this thread long, long ago.

DT
Old 03-14-2006, 11:50 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why crash it and possibly wreck a radio and an engine. Just throw it in the burn barrel with a quart of gasoline.

Don
Old 03-15-2006, 12:51 PM
Biggles2

Thanks for that ...I will give them a go ...I really would love one of those chaps ...we cant get anything thats very good in the UK
Old 03-15-2006, 09:30 PM
Frag

Interesting Desert Toad, I've even contamplated not flying this plane I've worked on for 2 years! I've got the upgraded parts to install but I'd have to rip all the existing stuff in the tail I've already epoxied in.[:@]

What will really give people an idea of how bad this arf is is that the Carl Goldberg Yak 54 I got a couple of week ago is almost finished, the parts all went together with great precision and the finish is superb. Not only that,but I will not have to re-engineer the plane at all[sm=surprised.gif] Just, put it together - you know, "almost ready to fly" - ARF!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.