Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

ThunderTiger Rare Bear

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

ThunderTiger Rare Bear

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 10:18 PM
rare_bear
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ThunderTiger Rare Bear

well, just as suspected, we pulled that wing that failed out of the garbage can today and took a look at the glue joints.

yep, no surprises there

NO GLUE CONTACT BETWEEN 3 WING RIBS AND BOTTOM SHEETING. the top glue joints were very marginal.

YahOOOOOOOooOOoOOOOOOoOoOooooOOOOOoOOOOOoooOooOOOO OOOOO!!!!!!!!!

WAY TO GO THUNDER TIGER!

====================

yo guys who are building this not only need to worry about the horizontal stabilizer but ya better worry about the integrity of the wing as well.

who holds the record for number of flights before crashing on this p.o.s. anyway?
(this guy had 15 with a 2-stroke within the recommended engine rating range)
Old 06-12-2006, 01:59 AM
ossie

ORIGINAL: rare_bear

who holds the record for number of flights before crashing on this p.o.s. anyway?
(this guy had 15 with a 2-stroke within the recommended engine rating range)
Don't think its me, but mines assembled as per the instructions and has been flying for a bit over 12mths with a little over 100 flights on her now. Only mods I've done is strengthen the retract mounts. Structural integrity of the tailplane and wings, on mine anyway, is not an issue.

Here she is, powered by an ST G2300 with a Bolly 15X10 3 bladed glass prop.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50401.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	476332  
Old 06-12-2006, 02:26 AM
bignasdy

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

100 flights?????
you gotta be pullin our chains.............
d
Old 06-12-2006, 06:37 AM
Easystern

rjmods ....

very good idear to xray all the parts , i will send mine to the thunder tiger hospital

Ossie....

NICE ENGINE !!

can you please post a pic of the engine mount in the cowl how it look a like. does it stick out of the cowl and what muffler do you use ?

this engine looks to me like a bargain and with 12600rpm max with 3,7hp thats not dad
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...XFV80&P=M#tech

Old 06-13-2006, 04:34 AM
ossie

ORIGINAL: Easystern

Ossie....

NICE ENGINE !!

can you please post a pic of the engine mount in the cowl how it look a like. does it stick out of the cowl and what muffler do you use ?
Hi there,
Here's the pics you're after. I chose the G2300 as it fits nicely inside the cowl and also a bit of weight is needed up front. The Bisson pitts muffler also is a nice neat fit. As you can see I cut a slot in the front edge of the cowl to help with air flow over the engine for cooling.
Hope this is helps.

Bignasdy
Pulling your chain !!..........no no
Look back through this thread, you'll see that I contributed with the method I used to assemble the tailplane.
Sold all my prop planes but hanging on to this one...........

Name:	He97433.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	476918   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41060.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	476919   Click image for larger version

Name:	Af89482.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	476920  
Old 06-29-2006, 03:42 PM
bignasdy

finaly flew the bear today....and what a nice flying plane it is. Had so much fun with it, I left the hellcat on the tarmack! [X(]LOL
4 flights.....with the added weight of the wing mods, at 13.5 lbs, yall can imagine how quick itl dive!
Loops with this plane are wonderfully round with little effort! [>:] I like that...Im lazy!

Low rates are perfect for it.
I only had 4 problems........noseover on each landing. I tried burnin in, I tried wallering in, I tried flyin in shallow on the engine, I tried stallin from 5 inches..........got the same result. I guess I shouda pulled more elevator so the tail couldnt come up. Its a dry rough feild.
I'll finger it out and let yall know how it went.
The retracts operated fine, I pulled vertical to tuck them. Saves servos ya know.
The st 90 is way fast, and I didnt ream it out at all. The three blade prop is no prob at all.....Plenty of poop. It rolls fast and crisp. I love this pile of crap, and Im gonna fly it some more. If it rips apart, oh well....Im gonna enjoy it while I can!
Happy flights!
d
Old 06-29-2006, 10:47 PM
HighSierra
My Feedback: (2)

Howdy all!

I don't think I've been to this thread in almost a year... Still haven't flown my Bear after fixing the design flaws (retract mounts and the horizontal stab).... SO It's been since nearly 2004 since I flew my RB (i think I got 4 sucessful flights before the retracts riped out....but thankfully Ace sent me all the parts that got messed up.....even though it took quite a bit of *****in on my part)...

Anyhow I just had to respond to the guy who made the videos, since mine was similarly powered (I had a YS 140 in it back when I flew it the first 4 times, but have since flip floped the 140 with a 180 I had in my Funtana....mostly because I wanted the presurised fuel system for the funtana, and the reliability of the 180 in the RB).....anyhow, I bet the reason your Bear was feeling sluggish in the power department was because you where overheating....There's really not that much air intake for cooling (with the big stock spinner), and what air that does go in, doesn't really even get to flow over the head where most the heat is....So the solution is run a smaller spinner and a 2-bladed prop when you fly it (so you get better prop efficency = better preformance) and save the 3 blade and big spinner for when you want to look at it (the real deal has a 4 blade prop now anyways if you really wanted to get a little picky), or try and devise some kind of louvers on the inside of the cowl to deflect the air that comes in on the opposite side the engine is mounted (the top) so it blows down on the engine (if that makes any sense)m and finally make sure you have an adequate size cut-out in the bottom/rear of the cowl to exhaust that hot air (I think the general rule of thumb is the outlet should be 3x the size of the inlet)... This is deffinatly an issue I've been pondering and wanting to deal with before i re-maiden flight my bear.... Even though I really don't like sacrificing the scale appearnce, I'll probably end up going with the 2 bladed prop, smaller spinner solution, at least so overheating the enigine won't be an issue when I throw this heavy beast back into the air.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:04 PM
bignasdy

just releive the cowl a bit like mine, and it should run fine. Mine had no heat issues,
Good to see ya back!
d
Old 07-05-2006, 11:57 AM
bignasdy

Well boys...I tried ........literaly, to rip the wings or tail off yeterday........full throttle dives with sharp pullouts, tight full throttle square loops, flat spins, full throttle flybys and a sharp pull up, 90 degree banks at full throttle and yank the stick back........no luck. Full throttle snap roll at 70 mph......nuthin...........The plane is rock solid stable and strong, and never even tried to tip stall. But...the peice of crap nosed over at the end of the roll out each time. I dont get that. as heavy as it is, looks like the tail would stay down!
Anyone else havin that problem?
Here he is with my hunny , who has indured the assembly of this plane for 6 months..all the *****in and complaining...and she still loves rarebear, and me!
d

Name:	Bz78848.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	487439  
Old 08-16-2006, 11:08 AM
rkissel

I've had my RB arf for about two years. i began assembly, horiz. stab, and a little up on the nose. after reading this thread i'm pretty sure i don't want to put in the time for this plane. does anyone want to buy it? i feel like im giving up a child, but i just don't have the time. gimme a call or text. 513-305-6726
Old 08-16-2006, 01:16 PM
bignasdy

100 bucs shipped?
d
Old 08-28-2006, 11:32 AM
Frag

I started repairing my RB yesterday - the one I crashed on landing on the maiden flight [&o] You can see the crash here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PamP7Mf61bg
Well I opened up the box with the new wing set and the first thing I do is check the retract mount. With finger pressure alone, I was able to lift the mount a millimeter or so from the underlying wood. They are still building them the same stupid way! No glue! I was figuring I have to reinforce the mount anyways like I did before. Also, when I crashed, the entire firewall assembly was pushed back into the fuse a bit so I had to re-orient it and pile a bunch of epoxy in there. That impact also broke some of the internal wood structures so they will need re-gluing too. All together not too bad, but it won't be quite as pretty as it once was...I just want to get at least afew more flights out of this beast after all the effort[sm=devious.gif]
Old 08-30-2006, 06:00 PM
bignasdy

keep it up Frag....it wont be long before its in the air.
Its been too hot to fly lately but I have over 100 flights on mine and I love the thing tho it is a peice of crap.
Keep us informed!
d
Old 08-30-2006, 06:23 PM
Hellcat716

That is unbelievable, 100 flights. Wow.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:50 AM
p51mech38
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: HighSierra

Howdy all!

I don't think I've been to this thread in almost a year... Still haven't flown my Bear after fixing the design flaws (retract mounts and the horizontal stab).... SO It's been since nearly 2004 since I flew my RB (i think I got 4 sucessful flights before the retracts riped out....but thankfully Ace sent me all the parts that got messed up.....even though it took quite a bit of *****in on my part)...

Anyhow I just had to respond to the guy who made the videos, since mine was similarly powered (I had a YS 140 in it back when I flew it the first 4 times, but have since flip floped the 140 with a 180 I had in my Funtana....mostly because I wanted the presurised fuel system for the funtana, and the reliability of the 180 in the RB).....anyhow, I bet the reason your Bear was feeling sluggish in the power department was because you where overheating....There's really not that much air intake for cooling (with the big stock spinner), and what air that does go in, doesn't really even get to flow over the head where most the heat is....So the solution is run a smaller spinner and a 2-bladed prop when you fly it (so you get better prop efficency = better preformance) and save the 3 blade and big spinner for when you want to look at it (the real deal has a 4 blade prop now anyways if you really wanted to get a little picky), or try and devise some kind of louvers on the inside of the cowl to deflect the air that comes in on the opposite side the engine is mounted (the top) so it blows down on the engine (if that makes any sense)m and finally make sure you have an adequate size cut-out in the bottom/rear of the cowl to exhaust that hot air (I think the general rule of thumb is the outlet should be 3x the size of the inlet)... This is deffinatly an issue I've been pondering and wanting to deal with before i re-maiden flight my bear.... Even though I really don't like sacrificing the scale appearnce, I'll probably end up going with the 2 bladed prop, smaller spinner solution, at least so overheating the enigine won't be an issue when I throw this heavy beast back into the air.
Ha!!!! we met a Sierraville a few weeks ago. Thanks for the ys .63 recommendation. That thing rips in my YT Critical Mass model.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:42 PM
bignasdy

122 flights as of the 6 flights today....still hasnt broke yet.................
d
Old 09-11-2006, 10:36 PM
robert63

I JUST GOT A RARE BEAR . HAS ANY ONE USED A SAITO 150. IF SO HOW DID IT WORK. THANK YOU
Old 09-12-2006, 04:00 PM
Frag

It should work fine. I have a Saito 1.80 in mine - Be sure you open the bottom of the cowl enough for sufficient cooling. Mine seemed to bog down once in the air, I'm going to really open up the bottom before I get it back in the air....
Old 09-13-2006, 01:24 AM
aussie

Guys
I have been assembling my Rare Bear on & off since the wife bought it for my birthday in May 2006. I just e-mailed my mate who owns the HS that it was purchased from with the gathered information from this thread and also the TT notice to ascertain whether mine was build before the changes where made from TT. He just informed me that the he shall gather the replacement tail feathers for me to retrofit onto the model so it may be an older kit as there was no instructions of the stab fitting as a separate sheet.
Question is: has anyone had a failure with the new stabs from TT, Should I modify the new stab before fitting. He also advised that he thinks that TT upgraded the retract mounts, but I'll be having a closer look before flying and shall be comparing it to some of the pictures posted here.
This model has been fitted with an Enya 120 4 stroke, on board ignition, TT retracts that TT suggested in the manual. Has anyone else had failure from the TT retracts other than the mountings within the wing letting go. With the enya from memory as I'm overseas at present, (16 days to go) it balanced correctly as suggested by the TT manual. Is this correct or should it be moved either forward or rearward. I also have the on board ignition battery located in the battery box so this probably helped.
I shall also be upgrading the elevator servo to metal geared and carbon push-rod.
Has anyone had issues with the pull pull rudder setup as well.
I'm extremely glad I came across this thread as if I hadn't, I think she would have bought the big one allot earlier than expected.
Cheers
Old 09-13-2006, 08:51 AM
bignasdy

my retracts work fine, but they have been shimmed forward a bit to avoid my never ending noseover problem. That did end it.
Do all the mods the guys did and youll be fine. Dont count on any upgrades........they havent a clue what upgrade means...
d
Old 09-13-2006, 10:14 AM
RedTwilight

Does anyone know how the new Zenoah G20EI would power this plane? Weighing in at 41oz. does it weigh more than the OS 1.60 FX? Also what is the power difference between the two?

Thanks
Old 10-31-2006, 04:49 PM
mrbiga

FRIENDS, CAN ANYONE ADVISE ME FOR A 3 BLADE PROP FOR SUPER TIGRE 90 (PITTS STYLE MUFFLER) FOR MY RARE BEAR.
I 'M THINKING ABOUT 13X7 OR 12X8 . IS IT O.K. OR........... ???????????????
THANKS IN ADVANCE
Old 11-01-2006, 11:32 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Does anyone know how the new Zenoah G20EI would power this plane? Weighing in at 41oz. does it weigh more than the OS 1.60 FX? Also what is the power difference between the two?
The OS 1.60 weighs 32.8 oz. The G20EI makes power equivelent to a .60 two-stroke/.91 four-stroke.

Jim
Old 11-02-2006, 04:52 PM
bignasdy

mrbiga.......
st 90....... im using a 13/8 3 blade.
Plentyof power.
d
Old 11-03-2006, 01:15 PM
mrbiga

thanks BIGNASDY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.