Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

ThunderTiger Rare Bear

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

ThunderTiger Rare Bear

Old 01-26-2007, 10:44 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: ThunderTiger Rare Bear

There are 1500 posts in this one thread. Most of them are saying the Rare Bear has a serious problem. A while back I saw the new TT Bearcat. Common sense tells me that as much as I would really like either one of them, I would not build one if it were given to me free.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:07 PM
babenson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: rare_bear

some guys at our field put shims on the rear gear block to make the wheels sit further forward and therefore, assist in preventing nose-ins. when the gear retract, the wheels have a slight tilt to them so that's the drawback i guess - but nobody sees that anyways.

Now that is interesting. I got no further that 5 feet on the grass today at our club and it went over. I thought about doing something like that with the gear. I have RObarts on it. There is still plenty of in the wheel well for the wheels even if tilted. does it seem to help with the nose overs greatly?
Old 01-27-2007, 06:08 PM
babenson

ORIGINAL: Cyclic Hardover
I would not build one if it were given to me free.

yeah you would!

Old 01-27-2007, 07:31 PM
rare_bear
My Feedback: (1)

i can't say from experience because i have not had to do that (yet)

but the warbird guys swear by it.

they use like 1/8 inch ply expoxied to the rear rail.

it translates into about ~0.5 inch forward movement of the wheel if the strut is 4.75 inches long (retract base to wheel axle)

it translates into about ~0.75 inch forward movement of the wheel if the strut is 7 inches long

on grass, will it help - i wouldn't know. we have pavement.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:37 PM
Sessholvlaru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well this thread got...interesting? Besides all of this recent nonsense, can someone give me a detailed description of how this thing flies when it IS set up correctly? How much run out room? How does it handle at high speeds? Landings? Etc. I love the way this aircraft looks and I have no issues doing the mods. This hobby is all about finding the right combination of assets for a successful flying machine. I can see why lots of people are frustrated after losing their Bears due to production problems and they are justified. However, for myself anyway, doing that extra work is actually fun and enjoyable. I love to build, so putting in that extra work is pleasurable. If it fails, then it does. I am overpowering it considerably (OS 160FX) so I accept that risk. Also, has the guy with the September Fury flown it yet? Although it is obvious that flight failure is a possibility I wish you all of the luck in the world. Happy flying!
Old 01-30-2007, 01:15 PM
Biggles2

The f8f differs in as much as it has a different cowl , flaps and a larger canopy. Pretty much like the real thing , the rear bare has slightly shorter wings too . I like them both and in the world of models its upto us modellers to use our modelling skills and improve them after all they have done most of the work . I enjoyed mine , it caught me out on finals but thats pilot error and for that Im all the better for it .
Old 01-30-2007, 05:39 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

To Thunder Tiger's credit, they readily acknowledge the problems with the original Rare Bear design, and they've worked to improve the ARF to the point where they have sent free upgraded kit parts to folks who have requested them from Ace Hobby here in North America:

http://www.acehobby.com/forum/forum_...sp?TID=92&PN=1

The September Fury and F-8F Bearcat ARFs weren't released until after Thunder Tiger began providing replacement parts to beef up the original Rare Bear. It would only be natural after "screwing the pooch" on such a promising project as the original Rare Bear ARF that Thunder Tiger's design team would want to make amends. The September Fury and the F-8F Bearcat ARFs are those attempts at redemtion.

Consider the following specifications:

Rare Bear ARF
63" wing span
55.5" fuselage length
10.5 to 11 lbs. flying weight

September Fury ARF
67.75" wing span
60" fuselage length
13 lbss flying weight

F-8F Bearcat ARF
63" wing span
49.5" fulage length
9.9 lbs. flying weight

Thunder Tiger didn't "pull a VMar" and put eight different trim schemes over the same ARF and call them different models. These are three seperate airframes. Thunder Tiger released the September Fury and the F-8F Bearcat ARFs specifically because they designed them to be much better than the original Rare Bear. They would do themselves a favor by releasing the Rare Bear as a Mk II ARF and getting some new reviews done with the redesigned airframe.

Thunder Tiger normally designs terrific ARFs that are solid and dependable. The Rare Bear was a mistake that they've been working on correcting. Don't be so quick to lump the September Fury or the F-8F Bearcat ARFs into the same category.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:15 PM
rare_bear
My Feedback: (1)

thank you bigedmustafa

i would like to offer this board an apology and retract my statement in regards to saying that the navy blue f8f was a spin off the rare-bear (with mods in check for the stabilizer and retract blocks)

it appears that the wing is indeed the same dimension as the rare bear with flaps installed - so there is a 3'rd change in the design.

i would like to see the internal guts of a rare bear and f8fnavy blue side by side to compare internal airframe mods that they may have changed.

still, it is too bad that they did not change the retract servo and the requirement to hook up and take off the links every thiem you took the wing on and off.

if they ever release an MKii version, it would greatly benefit them to just do away with the wing tube design altogether (it's only 63" for cri-sakes) and mount a belly pan to the wing bottom.

the rear stabilizer should also be a non-wing tube design imo.

these design changes alone, would shave off significant weight.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:53 PM
Biggles2

Iv set about repairing whats left of my RB ,the wings were right offs the cowl also . Iv ordered a pair of wings a cowl . The fuse has been repaired , filled, painted and though I say it myself its looking very good. IT WILL FLY AGAIN .I estimate the weight will have increased very slightly once its finished but I dont thing it will be a problem.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:27 PM
babenson

I have still not heard of anyone else who owns a September Fury....am I the only one?
Old 02-01-2007, 06:03 AM
countryshooter
My Feedback: (21)

I have one but I'm 90% complete and now with snow on the ground wont fly for awhile.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:22 AM
Biggles2

My model shop has a september fury , It been on sale for quite a while , Iv had a look and its a bit naff. The YT (KMP) Fury is the one I would buy .
Old 02-01-2007, 03:09 PM
Todd Jackson
My Feedback: (6)

Just about time to put all the decals on my RareBear.Any suggestions on application?
Old 02-02-2007, 09:43 AM
bignasdy

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have receipts from Ace dating back for 25 years............."made in america"......remember that....Ace? Receipts older than the fool on the phone.
Ace didnt send me nuthin, and acted like I was stupid, Saying "there is no problem with the rarebear", and that everyone having problems, was "using too big an engine".
I have to agree that, that is a huge problem with any airplane .
I fixed all the problems myself.
Ace ended up being the stupid ones as they have lost my interest, and business once and for all.
I love my rarebear, but could have designed, framed and finished one by the time I assembled, and corrected their arf............7 months!
Anyhow, wish yall luck with it........Mines done, at nearly 200 flights, and lots of touchups.
d
Old 02-02-2007, 10:42 AM
p51mech38

ORIGINAL: Todd Jackson

Just about time to put all the decals on my RareBear.Any suggestions on application?
Yeah don't go by the TT layout it's wrong. Go to www.warbirdaeropress.com and look thru Scotty G's photo galleries.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:22 PM
Todd Jackson
My Feedback: (6)

Sure glad I ask.
Thanks Rare Bear Mech.

Todd
Old 02-02-2007, 05:31 PM
Rbeav533

ORIGINAL: bignasdy

I have receipts from Ace dating back for 25 years............."made in america"......remember that....Ace? Receipts older than the fool on the phone.
Ace didnt send me nuthin, and acted like I was stupid, Saying "there is no problem with the rarebear", and that everyone having problems, was "using too big an engine".
I have to agree that, that is a huge problem with any airplane .
I fixed all the problems myself.
Ace ended up being the stupid ones as they have lost my interest, and business once and for all.
I love my rarebear, but could have designed, framed and finished one by the time I assembled, and corrected their arf............7 months!
Anyhow, wish yall luck with it........Mines done, at nearly 200 flights, and lots of touchups.
d
Unlike Bignasdy, I didn't even bother calling Ace about the problems with my early edition Rare Bear, simply due to the fact that it was widely reported Ace seemed indifferent to the problem. The standard line Ace seemed to be regurgitating at the time was the tail failures were due to owners over powering the airframes. I have pictures of the internal structure of the tail on my Rarebear that clearly show why the tails were failing on the early versions. The horizontal stab failures are solely the result of very poor workmanship by the manufacturer. The other problem, weak landing gear mounts, has nothing to do with the engine power. Most modellers choose to install larger engines vs dead weight to balance a model. The landing gear issues are solely the result of poor design and execution by Thunder Tiger.

Ace's reluctance to make an honest effort to understand why the early Rare Bears were failing in flight, and instead blaming modellers for the failures is unacceptable. Even their belated attempt to replace early versions of the tails wasn't well executed. The fact that they require a copy of the original purchase receipt before they will provide a replacement tail is proof of this. In my opinion all that should be required of the modeller is to send the original tail surfaces in for a new set. Because Ace doesn't seem to understand customer service I have made the decision to NEVER purchase any product sold or marketed by Ace or Thunder Tiger in the future.

Rich

Old 02-03-2007, 11:22 AM
Rbeav533

I just did a search of RCU for the Thundertiger F8F Bearcat and the September Fury. I didn't find too much and nothing indicating there is a large demand for these two ARFs from Ace / Thundertiger.

It appears that the wonderful job Ace did [sm=bananahead.gif] supporting the Rare Bear has really helped there business and the sales of the two followup ARFs to the Rare Bear.

Rich
Old 02-05-2007, 01:10 AM
bignasdy

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Im with you Rich.................And I'll say this, and not tryin to be a ........"d--K..............
.............iF I ever call horizon again, and get a newbie on the phone that just dont quite get it, Ill be doin other things.............and i will be anyway, with or without them.[8D]
I never stop doin somethin, and I spend about 30 to 400 a month on new stuff and all....[sm=drowning.gif].....Always shoppin....[sm=bananahead.gif]....stockin up........[sm=pirate.gif]..........havin fun
[sm=tongue_smile.gif]anyway.................who cares right?
d
Old 02-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Mad Monster

Gee guys, glad I checked out the forum before I decided on buying a TT Rear Bear (first edition still new in box) that was offered to me yesterday on a club sale..... Wasnt looking for a new plane but wow....it did look awsome.
Took me "a few" hours to work through this topic but time well spend as it turned out!
A big no no for this one (for me that is)
Thanks for all your input!
Cheers, Hans
Old 02-05-2007, 07:29 PM
babenson

ORIGINAL: bignasdy

Im with you Rich.................And I'll say this, and not tryin to be a ........"d--K..............
.............iF I ever call horizon again, and get a newbie on the phone that just dont quite get it, Ill be doin other things.............and i will be anyway, with or without them.[8D]
I never stop doin somethin, and I spend about 30 to 400 a month on new stuff and all....[sm=drowning.gif].....Always shoppin....[sm=bananahead.gif]....stockin up........[sm=pirate.gif]..........havin fun
[sm=tongue_smile.gif]anyway.................who cares right?
d

Huh?
Old 02-06-2007, 03:37 PM
dmanfly

[&o] Hello guys I need to know where i can get replacement parts for the rare bear ....mostely like the wing joiner bar and some of the other innerds. I would really apreciate a response to this....My son accidentally threw out my box of inside airframe components...please help me!!! You can email me direct at [email protected] thanks again guys.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:55 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Any spare parts you need for your Rare Bear, dmanfly, should be available through http://www.thundertiger4u.com. If you don't see what you're looking for, just e-mail them and they'll get it for you. Fast shipping and great customer service.
Old 02-06-2007, 08:42 PM
p51mech38

ORIGINAL: dmanfly

[&o] Hello guys I need to know where i can get replacement parts for the rare bear ....mostely like the wing joiner bar and some of the other innerds. I would really apreciate a response to this....My son accidentally threw out my box of inside airframe components...please help me!!! You can email me direct at [email protected] thanks again guys.
The best luck I have had is with these guys. They had all my stuff to me within days! http://www.infinitehobbies.com/index.php?p=home
Old 02-07-2007, 03:13 PM
dmanfly

Thanks so much guys special thanks to bigmustafa and rarebear mech i really apreceate your help getting these parts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.