ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

ThunderTiger Rare Bear

Reply
Old 02-13-2007, 07:00 PM
  #1551
SergioRoadster
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: LisbonLisbon, PORTUGAL
Posts: 9
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ThunderTiger Rare Bear

Does anyone as this RTF version of the Rare Bear?

http://www.miniplanes.fr/product_inf...roducts_id=501

Can it be handled by beginners?
SergioRoadster is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:28 PM
  #1552
forestroke
 
forestroke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Taipei, TAIWAN
Posts: 1,942
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ThunderTiger Rare Bear

sergio - be ready for a plethora of people screaming at you. i certainly hope that you're trolling since there's no way anyone's going to recommend that plane for a beginner. my ONE cent because it jus ain worth two.
forestroke is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:04 AM
  #1553
Cyclic Hardover
 
Cyclic Hardover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: New Mexico,
Posts: 7,296
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ThunderTiger Rare Bear

Problem here is the reputation damage and reliabilty of the Rare Bear has been done. I mean it's like the "Spinach" mess a couple months back. It's going to be very difficult to sell that product no matter what anybody says.

I was in Costco the other day and they always have food samples. Anything with Spinach in it is being passed on by. I also recall when Ace was blowing off the issue. Now the tables are turn and we are blowing them off. They would have to make me a killer deal to run the risk of it.

As far as this plane being used as a first trainer, I say go fo it. Set up real nice. Get some cash invested it. Take lots of photos before you take to the field. At least you'll have something to remember it by when you bring it all back in a garbage bag![sm=cry_smile.gif]
Cyclic Hardover is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 01:52 AM
  #1554
forestroke
 
forestroke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Taipei, TAIWAN
Posts: 1,942
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ThunderTiger Rare Bear

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Cyclic Hardover

Problem here is the reputation damage and reliabilty of the Rare Bear has been done. I mean it's like the "Spinach" mess a couple months back. It's going to be very difficult to sell that product no matter what anybody says.

I was in Costco the other day and they always have food samples. Anything with Spinach in it is being passed on by. I also recall when Ace was blowing off the issue. Now the tables are turn and we are blowing them off. They would have to make me a killer deal to run the risk of it.

As far as this plane being used as a first trainer, I say go fo it. Set up real nice. Get some cash invested it. Take lots of photos before you take to the field. At least you'll have something to remember it by when you bring it all back in a garbage bag![sm=cry_smile.gif]
LOL knowing how those foamies explode, best bring a vacuum cleaner :-)
forestroke is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 12:02 PM
  #1555
Cyclic Hardover
 
Cyclic Hardover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: New Mexico,
Posts: 7,296
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ThunderTiger Rare Bear

I would love you be at a big "fly in." Have some guy stuff a plane into thousands of pieces. Then see some guy come onto the field carrying a huge gas powered leaf blower and blow it off the field. Reminds of an old Jetsons cartoon when the football players nailed each other and theywould come onto the field and scrape up the mess real quick and leave.
Attached Images
 
Cyclic Hardover is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:26 PM
  #1556
bignasdy
 
bignasdy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: TX
Posts: 431
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ThunderTiger Rare Bear

Man Ive seen that many times before........I wish I liked bein a slave to this pc........Id tell yall some funny funny stuff........
Oh what the heck, just last week, this guy crashes his h9 spit because. #1' Hes an idiot.........#2' Some moron told him to set the timer on his futaba 7c for 8 minutes, and have it throttle down to let him know its time to land.
8 mins? What da.......I fly mine with the stock tank and 61sf for 40 minutes.
It takes that long to loose the adrenilin shakes. no kiddin
So....the guy is havin sooooo much fun, taxi ing around the place, ......."good gosh" LOL
then after 6 or seven minutes, he has to wait on a plane to land...........then he drives it around somemore.............
.......I guess cause he wanted a reason to blame H9 for crappy retrtacts after they fail do to his grass hoppin.....LOL........anyway, see where aim goin?.....anyeway........he takes off with no run up or checks, the spitfire is yanked off the grass, yaws left, slow climb, slow roll left......... the guy dosent know he has a rudder........its now inverted and diving oh so beautifly full throttle from about 14 feet alt......then it plops and detrys itsself prop a blazin! He didnt even chop power.......huh? ......what..........who me............?
Now................his radio neutraled the ailerons after 8minutes of foolishness...........
Now hes says futaba sux and wont help him when........... hes the guy that set it up!
Rule one, if you dont know how long the plane will fly, stay home........no one needs this kind of stuff............
#2 always let "some Guy" tell ya how to set up your radio. duh..............again.....stay home.
#3 Blame the mfg because your a dumb--- once more..stay home.
God Bless yall..sorry for the kinda off .....kinda ...on topic..............rambling.........
d
GAWD! LOLOOLl

d
bignasdy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:17 PM
  #1557
Cyclic Hardover
 
Cyclic Hardover's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: New Mexico,
Posts: 7,296
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ThunderTiger Rare Bear

Quote:
ORIGINAL: bignasdy

Man Ive seen that many times before........I wish I liked bein a slave to this pc........Id tell yall some funny funny stuff........
Oh what the heck, just last week, this guy crashes his h9 spit because. #1' Hes an idiot.........#2' Some moron told him to set the timer on his futaba 7c for 8 minutes, and have it throttle down to let him know its time to land.
8 mins? What da.......I fly mine with the stock tank and 61sf for 40 minutes.
It takes that long to loose the adrenilin shakes. no kiddin
So....the guy is havin sooooo much fun, taxi ing around the place, ......."good gosh" LOL
then after 6 or seven minutes, he has to wait on a plane to land...........then he drives it around somemore.............
.......I guess cause he wanted a reason to blame H9 for crappy retrtacts after they fail do to his grass hoppin.....LOL........anyway, see where aim goin?.....anyeway........he takes off with no run up or checks, the spitfire is yanked off the grass, yaws left, slow climb, slow roll left......... the guy dosent know he has a rudder........its now inverted and diving oh so beautifly full throttle from about 14 feet alt......then it plops and detrys itsself prop a blazin! He didnt even chop power.......huh? ......what..........who me............?
Now................his radio neutraled the ailerons after 8minutes of foolishness...........
Now hes says futaba sux and wont help him when........... hes the guy that set it up!
Rule one, if you dont know how long the plane will fly, stay home........no one needs this kind of stuff............
#2 always let "some Guy" tell ya how to set up your radio. duh..............again.....stay home.
#3 Blame the mfg because your a dumb--- once more..stay home.
God Bless yall..sorry for the kinda off .....kinda ...on topic..............rambling.........
d
GAWD! LOLOOLl

d
TEXANS![sm=confused.gif] HEY, WAS HE WEARING ONE OF THESE?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13224.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	622449  
Cyclic Hardover is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 10:01 PM
  #1558
bignasdy
 
bignasdy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: TX
Posts: 431
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ThunderTiger Rare Bear

ROTFLMAO!
d
bignasdy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:24 AM
  #1559
Easystern
 
Easystern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Bonn/Germany Ft Lauderdale/FL, AB, GERMANY
Posts: 131
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ThunderTiger Rare Bear

Quote:
Gee guys, glad I checked out the forum before I decided on buying a TT Rear Bear (first edition still new in box) that was offered to me yesterday on a club sale..... Wasnt looking for a new plane but wow....it did look awsome.
Took me "a few" hours to work through this topic but time well spend as it turned out!
A big no no for this one (for me that is)
Thanks for all your input!
Cheers, Hans
Hey Mad Monster
How much is the RB ?? i need a second one and i am right now in germany and not far from you to pick it up......
Easystern is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 01:29 PM
  #1560
Vampire
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bath, PA
Posts: 1,073
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ThunderTiger Rare Bear

Wow, I have not been to this RB thread for nearly 2 YEARS since my posting of my RB OS 1.60FX engine install and this thread is still alive !!

My RB with the OS 1.60 FX is my most flown prop airplane and evertime I bring it out, even after 2 seasons of flying, it still impresses.

Hope everyone else is having as much fun with theirs as I have.

Keep em fly'n.

Kerry S.

Vampire is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 03:00 PM
  #1561
bignasdy
 
bignasdy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: TX
Posts: 431
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ThunderTiger Rare Bear

vampire........I have a little over 200 flights on mine, and I had to remake the gear doors , and do some more gluing, but thats normal, its now hangin in the livin room. I can always fly it again if I get the urge, but quite frankly, Ive pushed it to the limits and Im bored with it.
d
bignasdy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 11:18 PM
  #1562
Ad Clark III
 
Ad Clark III's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 220
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ThunderTiger Rare Bear

I can tell you where the limit is. It was 135 mph(radar) on my bird, and it took an OS 160 with a 15x11 prop to get there. I agree flying a under powered Rare Bear around at 95 mph would get pretty boring. Ill build another one someday and go for 145. It will propably take some aluminum rods in the stab to do it. It will also take something a little bigger than the OS 160. Too many other projects this year however. See ya
Ad Clark III is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 09:15 AM
  #1563
bignasdy
 
bignasdy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: TX
Posts: 431
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ThunderTiger Rare Bear

Not bored with the speed, it isnt underpowered, (your overpowered), and ya coulda went faster with a better, smaller engine. Im gettin 122 with a st90 3 blade 13/8 prop, runnin smokin rich, but I could care less about speed records. This is a sport plane, not a speed demon.......I have those too.
Im bored with the plane .....period. I have over 100 planes man..........
No, I dont just do high speed passes..........that is boring ...........
Funny ya callin me underpowered....thats funny funny stufff.........gawd......it never ends on this site.........................
d
bignasdy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 04:33 PM
  #1564
babenson
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Helsinki, FINLAND
Posts: 65
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ThunderTiger Rare Bear

Quote:
ORIGINAL: bignasdy

Not bored with the speed, it isnt underpowered, (your overpowered), and ya coulda went faster with a better, smaller engine. Im gettin 122 with a st90 3 blade 13/8 prop, runnin smokin rich, but I could care less about speed records. This is a sport plane, not a speed demon.......I have those too.
Im bored with the plane .....period. I have over 100 planes man..........
No, I dont just do high speed passes..........that is boring ...........
Funny ya callin me underpowered....thats funny funny stufff.........gawd......it never ends on this site.........................
d
Man you are one angry person. Relax man, its just a forum!

BTW - where do you fly your 100 planes? 114th?
babenson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:10 PM
  #1565
mrbiga
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: KALAMATAMESSINIA, GREECE
Posts: 33
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ThunderTiger Rare Bear

Hi , these are 4 pic from my R.B.
I am going to treat the hole system with medium Cyano, before fit the landing gear.(any place i can)
Do you think that i have to re-enforce it more (with some fiberglass and epoxy) ? It looks strong enough
but i have read some thinga about it.
I have allready fix the the stab ,using longer and thicker CF 8/6 mm.
Best regards
Argiris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34659.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	628051   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31550.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	628052   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vb74242.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	628053   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cv62187.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	628054  
mrbiga is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 05:05 PM
  #1566
Rbeav533
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Spring, TX
Posts: 111
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ThunderTiger Rare Bear

Medium CA isn't enough. You need to review the earlier sections of this thread for recommendations on how to reinforce the langing gear mounts. I did the same mods that Vampire recommended and it still wasn't enough for my field. I peeled the gear mounts out of my RB several times and then grounded the plane until I could fabricated proper mounts. Since installing my new gear mounts I've put about 75 flights on it without a single gear mount failure.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1665626/mpage_18/key_/tm.htm#]Vampire's Gear Plate Mod[/link] Go to Post # 439.

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/gallery/galleryCat.cfm?memberID=136718]My Gear Plates and Tail Mods[/link]

Rich
Rbeav533 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 03:15 AM
  #1567
mrbiga
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: KALAMATAMESSINIA, GREECE
Posts: 33
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ThunderTiger Rare Bear

Thanks Rbeav533. I will make some mods.
mrbiga is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 12:58 PM
  #1568
jfetter
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: MIRAMAR, FL
Posts: 508
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ThunderTiger Rare Bear

Hmmm, this appears to be beefed up considerably since the first version most of us have, anyone know for certain that even this new (look at the triple layers) design still doesn't work out-of-the-box?

Jack
jfetter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 12:51 PM
  #1569
rcdivot
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: , OH
Posts: 195
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ThunderTiger Rare Bear

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Al Magaloff

Has anyone received one yet? Just wondering what it looks like, how well they are done, etc.
I have one on the way.
rcdivot is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 10:06 PM
  #1570
rare_bear
 
rare_bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: north of the basin, CA
Posts: 1,276
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ThunderTiger Rare Bear

two layers are fine PROVIDED that they are SECURELY attached to the joining ribs with, perhaps, interlocking wood.

but if they are not interlocking, then ya had betta reinforce them to the ribs with glass cloth and epoxy or else, even with 4 layers, they'll rip out. include the wing's leading edge and the ribs all the way back to the spar in the structural strungthening because that is where the tortional forces end up transfering to upon landings.
rare_bear is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 10:16 PM
  #1571
Frag
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Fayetteville, GA
Posts: 285
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ThunderTiger Rare Bear

If you want to see an awesome Rare Bear rc airplane then watch this video. I don't think its a Thunder Tiger.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gy2v...elated&search=
Frag is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 03:50 AM
  #1572
SJN
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Copenhagen, DENMARK
Posts: 6,205
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ThunderTiger Rare Bear

Its the 3w Rare Bear:
http://www.3w-modellmotoren.de/model...t/bearcat.html

and the RCS/Moki 250 or 215 radial
http://www.rcshowcase.com/html/RCS/rcs250.html



Here is the 250, and 400cc Moki
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90356.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	658796  
SJN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:34 AM
  #1573
jjeaster222000
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: bedford, IN
Posts: 21
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ThunderTiger Rare Bear

im thinking of getting one from a friend.. what is the new news on this is everyone still happy with it?
jjeaster222000 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:22 PM
  #1574
jfetter
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: MIRAMAR, FL
Posts: 508
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ThunderTiger Rare Bear


Quote:
ORIGINAL: jjeaster222000

im thinking of getting one from a friend.. what is the new news on this is everyone still happy with it?
He may not be your friend anymore once you buy (and fly) it...

Seriously, nice looking, unfortunately, some cheap building shortcuts require a few mods, if those have been done (and I would verify that they have) then you have a decent flying plane as well...

Jack
jfetter is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:29 PM
  #1575
jjeaster222000
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: bedford, IN
Posts: 21
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ThunderTiger Rare Bear

yeah he is a heck of a builder so im not worried to much about it. she has never been flown do you have any tips for ballancing it?
jjeaster222000 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:19 PM.