Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 65 of 72 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,625 of 1779

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: ThunderTiger Rare Bear

I raised my tank so its on the carby centre line. Didnt even try it in the stock location. Im using air retracts, so made a shelf for the tank to sit on where the retract servo would normally be. And my air tank sits in the stock fuel tank location below this.

As for cooling, I had some issues, but was becuase I didnt have a big enough cutout at the bottom of the cowl to let the air out. Prob doesnt seem to be with the intake, but the outlet. Though i did open up the front of the cowl about 10mm directly in front of the engine head, and made a baffle up force air over the engine head just to be on the safe side, but probably isnt needed.

Im using 5.5kg servos, no prob.

Main issue with this plane is the landing gear mounts need beefing up, and you want the newer version of the stabliser for the back end (in Aust the supplier sends it out to you for free), and you want to up size the push rod linkages to the elevator. I used the stock balsa "rod" but replaced the wire rods at each end with 4-40 size pushrods and clevis's. Read through this thread, there is heaps of info on how to tackle this.

The plane is a bit of extra work compared to your normal ARF, but the end result is worth it. Great to fly.

Cheers

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Lil-redex,
    Thanks for ur reply. Since I have new version of rare bear, I dont see any issues with landing gear mounts, but still I was planning to go ahead with the beefing up. Too late to upsize the stock push rod.... I have already glued it in!!!
    Regards
    Asif

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Landing gear mounts still need work, even on the newer version, just check through the previous posts.

They will fold out easy otherwise.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

After having the kit for 3 years, I finally dug it out last month and got it ready to fly. This thread has been very helpful and I appreciate all that everyone else has posted.

I read of the early stab failures and got an updated set from ACE. I reinforced the landing gear rails as outlined here, too. I used Robart retracts and struts. Even with a YS 1.20 it took 12 ounces of nose weight to balance and tips the scales at an ounce short of 13 pounds. Maybe I should have used my Zenoah G-26 instead!

After building mine I'm convinced that the previous stab failures have been caused by flutter, not by a weak stab. Most failures I've heard about have happened at cruise (with the elevators relatively unloaded) as opposed to while maneuvering. That spells "flutter" to me, and the stab failures are likely just resultant damage.

Knowing that I was going to over-power this model I beefed up the control linkages and did everything I could think of to eliminate any chance of flutter. The stock elevator torque rods are flimsy as is the rudder tiller-arm setup. Both allowed too much flexing of the surfaces. I glassed the elevators with 3.2 ounce cloth (both sides) and went with external horns and 4-40 pushrods in plastic tubes for rudder and elevators. The surfaces are now much more rigid. I also went with 2 elevator servos. The stock setup probably would have been fine if I'd used a 2-stroke engine of recommended size. Thunder Tiger did a great job of keeping everything light in the back, knowing full well that Bearcats have tremendous potential for turning out tail-heavy.

All in all, I'll go on record as saying that Thunder Tiger did a great job with this kit. The parts fit and the finished model is absolutely stunning. It's engineered differently than most, but the stuff seems to work. I changed a lot but only because I elected to over-power the model. The only mod that absolutely HAD to be done was reinforcing the retract rails but this is a common weak spot on ARFs in general.

I'll post my results after the test flights, hopefully this weekend. Wish me luck!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good Luck with the maiden!

I agree with you regarding the flutter.

The other Rare Bear at our club has been flying for several years now with the original stab. But the owner had beefed up the linkages to 4-40 size as he put a G23 Super Tiger in it. This was before he knew of any issues regarding elevator failure etc. Was just a natural requirement when installing a bigger engine as far as he is concerned. He was told by the hobby shop to be careful when inserting the stab rods, as they are a tight fit and can damage the ribs if you are heavy fisted.

Though I thought the stock rods where too small, even for the 90 that I run, so I changed them over to 4-40 when I was putting it together.

Cheers

once again....good luck!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey everyone. Lucky me I just bought a RB 3 weeks ago. Then as Im telling my friends about it. Someone says oh yea by the way I heard those have alot of problems. Good thing I only paid $175 for it new. Ive already started building it so there is no turning back. I like to think possitive. I'll be putting in a o.s.108 for power spinning a 14-9 master airsrcrew prop. Im also very thankful for all who have written on this forum, and very sorry for there loss's. In addition I would like to say that I have been very disipointed wth alot of arf hardware. It usually seems very flimsy to me so I usually replace it with better quality. Also there are alot of pages here and I was wondering if there are any good video's of this model flyng, particually landing. Thanks to all that reply. Chris
    When I grow up I want a 1/3 scale cub!! Also ,This one time at band camp I got my finger stuck in a prop!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hay Guys,
    Rare Bear has a new owner and a new paint job. I just returned from the Reno Air races, and the gold unlimited race was awesome. Rare Bear won the gold race and it was one of the best ulimited races I've ever seen. The sounds these unlimiteds made was worth the trip all by itself and Rare Bear made a bark that was truly outstanding.
    Soft Landings always,
    Bobby of Maui
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	By76409.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	53.5 KB 
ID:	773906   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xv64024.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	773907   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zu64008.jpg 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	773908   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig10978.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	773909   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mh19399.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	773910  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ye84183.jpg 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	773911   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jd87385.jpg 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	773912  
    AMA 15016
    Say what you mean, mean what you say...and !#$& it if you can\'\'t take a joke.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi All -

I've been looking to buy this ARF for awhile myself, but after reading nearly this whole thread I've ended up just about as skeptical and confused as I was before starting. So....I have some questions for y'all that have bought & built these ships and maybe a few of you can straighten me out ?
    1 - several folks have stated that the earlier kits have had serious problems with the tail feathers - flutter....etc. Has this issue been fixed in the later models?
    2 - Overall, could a few of you rate the ARF quality?
    3 - I've also read that the retract mounts are week. What have some of you done about modifying this?
    4 - Are their other manufacturers that offer a scale 'Rare Bear' ARF that is of better quality?
    5 - Given the big string on engines, I was looking to put a Saito 170 3-cyl. radial into this. Anybody have any helpful thoughts or comments or even know if this engine will fit?
    6 - Any other advice would be really appreciated!!

Thx -Tom

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tom,
    Here's my thought on this model. First of all I have a newer version of Rare Bear and the kit already has the upgraded stab and carbon rod. I have read most of the pages on this thread before building the model, and I thank all of you for your valuable inputs and experiences.
    First of all, I agree that there were problem with the earlier stab, but on the flip size of the coin most of the accidents happened with over powered aircraft. Many of us powered their aircrafts with engines like OS 160 which puts out 26cc. This is a lot of power for an aircraft which recommends a .90 size engine.
    In my case I have glued the stab with quality produce such as BVM aeropoxy. The newer manual suggest not to glue stab with anything but a 12 hrs epoxy, and the way my stab came out, I am very happy with it. So far it looks extremely strong.
    Secondly the newer retract mount looks OK to me but there are people who still recommend to beef it up, so I am doing that too.
    Third issue that I see is with the elevator push rod that came with the kit. It should be atleast 4-40, to avoid bending and flutter, so dont install the stock push rod upgrade it to 4-40 instead.
    I dont think anyone is offering a scale rare bear this scale in this price and size range. My personal opinion is that this is a beautiful aircraft, ofcouse there is lot of work in this aircraft, and I fell this is not you typical ARF. This is my first thunder tiger aircraft and I am happy with it. Looks really good with those 3 blade aluminium spinner that came with the kit.
    In my case I am installing Os 91 with master airscrew 12x8 3 blade prop and scale muffler that you can purchase. I solely bought this kit for its scale looks and I am sure Os 91 will give scale speed too. As far as speed thrill is concern I have 2 jets that keep me on my toes and give me enough adrenaline rush!!!!

I will be flying my bird in a week or 2, will keep you posted with flight performance..

Regards
    Asif

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had considered this plane about 6 months ago, but wrote it off due to the well documented problems...

last week, the LHS marked one they'd had on the shelf for some time down to $175... so I bought it!

I'll be applying the fixes documented in this thread, and powering it with a Saito 180. I'll be a bit before I get started, as I've got a scale heli to finish first...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks, Asif, for the good feedback! Yes, I have read of several folks stuffing this bird with way more power than recommended. I called TT on this question and they stand by their recommended power size and further state that their warranty will be negated if problems occur while flying with any larger engine - this only stands to reason of course. As for me, I've decided against the TT Rare Bear and am going with the 80-inch span design by Jerry Bates, which I can build as I see fit as I want to put a 5-cyl. radial into the ship. I intend on using carbon fiber reinforcing thru out and then glassing the entire craft for a tough finish. I'll likely pick up a TT Bear at some later time I suppose.
    Tom

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sundance
    Did you get Rare Bear flying yet? I know your last post was 10/07 and I am curious as to the results. Are you a member of the Tomcats in San Jose?
    Dan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nah....I ended up deciding not to by the TT Rare Bear simply because the reviews were so mixed. I didn't want to invest that much $$$ into something that was of questionable quality. Instead I chose to build my own from Ziroli plans - which I haven't even started yet.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well you are probably better off. They didn't honor the warranty the first time why should they now.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi All,
    To end the confusion and skepticism that current and future owners of TT Rare Bear might have, I would like to report that TT Rare Bear is awesome flying machine. The new version if built properly is a really nice flying mahine. I bought one and sold after building it to a friend mine to fund other project. To date my friend has 06 flight on it. The aircraft, setup is as follows: OS 91 with TT scale muffler, master airscrew 12x8 3-blade prop. The aircraft is not a speed demon, but has very decent performance with setup despite the fact that there is considerable weight in the nose to attain correct CG. The only downside are the mechenical retracts, I would suggest quality phneumatic retracts, life would simple with phneumatic retracts. Althought we fly from very rough field and the TT mechanical retracts are hold prettly good.
    Landing is aircraft is also easy if you are accomplished flier. It is not a rocket science!!
    Regards
    Asif

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I second that, mine is the same setup except Im using MA 13x8 and using Spring Air Retracts not mechanical. Been going 12+ months now and still going strong. Yes you have to add about 400 odd grams of lead in the front with a 91FX to balance (short nose), but it has plenty of power and is Joy to fly. Flys like its on rails.

Other one at club has been flying 2+ years now, with ST2300 and Air Retracts and is also flying very well.

Needs an relatively experienced pilot to land, but not overly difficult, you have to fly it in like a real one

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The issue here is not that they fixed or didn't fix a problem. It is honoring a warranty that states "any defects in workmanship or design". I believe we can all say the early design was defective as I lost the ship flying it with a YS 91 at less than full throttle. They were willing to sell me a replacement kit at 1/3 off. Not exactly standing behind their product unless you consider standing way behind it okay. Nuf said.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

See.....this is exactly the kind of pilot to pilot differences that I've been encountering. I know of other guys / gals who tried to turn the TT Rare Bear into a real racing machine by way over-powering it. These folks then complained because of rudder flutter and retracts that couldn't hold the strain. I tend not to sympathize with them - but on the same note I've come across a total mixed bag of reviews from others. I tend to feel, I guess, that if a person builds the craft in accordance with the manufacturer's specifications, that in general the plane should perform as designed. I, however, have put together a few ARFs and have been able to discern good craftmanship from poor. For the kind of $$ that TT is expecting for their Rare Bear - given the size of the plane - I would expect the product to be of top-notch materials and craftsmanship.
    Anybody / everybody - what are your thoughts on my last comments?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have been flying my bear now for about 3 weeks and having a blast with it. It has spring air retracts and an AXI 5330/16 on 10 cells with a 18/12 prop and seems to be able to get out of its own way to me. Here is a clip of flying on its second flight. I had some problems with the retracts staying up.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQO9s7luepI

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Man that's sweet!! Thanks for the clip

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bladerunner1955

I have been flying my bear now for about 3 weeks and having a blast with it. It has spring air retracts and an AXI 5330/16 on 10 cells with a 18/12 prop and seems to be able to get out of its own way to me. Here is a clip of flying on its second flight. I had some problems with the retracts staying up.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQO9s7luepI
    DON, man you are killing me! You get all the cool airplanes! Hows the cropduster treating you buddy?
    Ken
    Will fly for coffee

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well the bear is done now and its sweet. She weighs in at 11 pounds 3 ozs . And that is with a crrc pro 26e hanging off the front. Hope too fly her this week end so will see
    When I grow up I want a 1/3 scale cub!! Also ,This one time at band camp I got my finger stuck in a prop!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

At last , after about 1 year , i finished the so called Rare Bear - ARF ......[8D].
    I reinforced the stabilizer , fitting the new fatter carbons with epoxy from the inside(after cutting the down side of the stab ,to put the epoxy in). I did not change anything in the retract ribs( it looked pretty strong to me- very big mistake),i only added some epoxy & glass-fiber. I used the Spring-Air retracts (H-D 103). As an engine, i used a Mangum 160 Twin 4stroke ,so i did not have to use any added weight to balance the plane . The first landing was fantastic...very smooth . The second one ,was a little bit on the hard side, so the left retract came out of the wing. Then i decided that it was time to rebuild the retract bay, so i cut and took it out and i made a new retract base and 3 ribs with additional reinforcement, all from 8mm plywood. Now it is very strong , rather stronger than the plane itself.
    The plane is about 13 lbs( 5,8 kg), is is very fast, it tracks well in the sky and need some speed to make it land.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qo40376.jpg 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	1056079   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mh19507.jpg 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	1056080   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ej12107.jpg 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	1056081   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dw65893.jpg 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	1056082  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was surprised byhow wll the plane takes off and lands...mine too was 13 lbs if I remember.....
    Glad your havin fun!
    d

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey guys, I crashed my Bear on the maiden a couple of years ago. I slowly got her rebuilt-
    Here is a video of it flying a few weeks back. On the maiden flight it was tail heavy and flew pretty poorly. I added about 6 ounces up front even with a Saito 1.80 to get it balanced. That helped a bunch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIz_CTKUyng

Page 65 of 72 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 ... LastLast