Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Flying Lawnmower ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Flying Lawnmower ARF

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2004, 12:22 AM
BULL-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying Lawnmower ARF

I know the guy closed his shop who was building the Lawnmower ARF's. Anyone know of someone else making them? Thanks
Old 03-30-2004, 12:46 AM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Flying Lawnmower ARF

You can buy the plans at RCM store, they also have a flying porsche GTP car you can build as well. Check them out, their easy to build and definately original at the field!
Old 03-30-2004, 01:00 AM
BULL-RCU

Sorry to sound stupid, but never have used the store... Where is it on this site? Looked but couldn't find.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:18 AM
smitymax

I have one of the flying lawnmower kits that I have not built. Don't think I ever will get around to it...send me a PM if your interested...
Old 03-30-2004, 01:21 AM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The plan #'s are 1029 for the porsche and the cloud clipper(lawn mower) is 1284.
I think the web site is one of the two below;
www.mag-web.com/rc-modeler or
www.rcmmagazine.com
Old 03-30-2004, 07:26 AM
BULL-RCU

Fond it.. Thank You Much!
Old 03-30-2004, 05:54 PM
Smokey
My Feedback: (16)

I met the guy who bought out the company that makes the flying lawnmower at the WRAM show. You could probably email him and inquire about the kit. [email protected]
Hope this helps.

Smokey
Old 04-05-2004, 11:32 PM
HenRam

Hello,

I'm Spiro's partner in crime Henry... Together we are continuing the FlyingThingZ legacy. If you're still interested in the Sky Cutter .40 V2 kit simply visit our website at www.flyingthingz.com

Thanks
Old 04-05-2004, 11:35 PM
BULL-RCU

I will be ordering one soon... I have always wanted one and was ready to order when the last time it was shut down. I have a .61 2 stroke waiting for a home.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:29 PM
Smokey
My Feedback: (16)

HenRam.....What is the difference between V1 and V2 lawnmower?

Smokey
Old 04-06-2004, 10:39 PM
HenRam

There are quite a few difference which is why we decided to dub it the V2.

There were several laser cut parts that were not the right size:

1. The landing gear blocks were too big. A 1/4" had to be removed from them so that they will fit into the wing. This was modified on the laser cutter so now it fits perfectly in place.

2. The fuselage hatch was too short by 1/4" which was also modifed on the laser cutter to fit perfectly now.

3. The holes on the firewall were too low and would get covered with the motor mount... They were moved up about 3/8".

4. The mounting holes on the side mower deck panels were off by both the x and y axis causing the rear wheels to overshoot the deck. This made them useless if you wanted to do the correct installation. Now, they all fall into place perfectly.

5. The control horns were too large for the Sky Cutter, but perfect for the Flag Ship. These were modified to specifically fit the Sky Cutter.

6. New pieces are included that are laser cut that at one point required the builder to make themselves out of scrap ply.

7. More parts are supplied with the kit that were not part of the pervious package. This includes: wheel collars, ready to install main and nose landing gear, with all required hardware. (sorry, wheels are not included).

8. The manual was completely revised to reflect all the changes as well as the supplied plans. The instructions should be so easy to follow that even an amature builder could easily put it together. You can probably put this thing together over the course of the weekend.

There are probably a few other things, but I can't remember everything, it took about 6 weeks to iron out everything we found wrong with the V1 Lawn mower.

I also finally got to fly the Sky Cutter about 2 weeks ago. For a lawnmower it flys great. It's not an Edge 540, but flew predicably. It had no unusual tendancies. Take offs, loops, rolls, split S were all easy with the Sky Cutter. Landing was a bit unconventional. Bringing this thing in required careful throttle management. The Sky Cutter comes in at an angle of about 30 degrees. Even at this attitude, it will not snap or rock back and forth. Once you're over the runway, simply apply a little throttle to level her out and she'll come in for a nice smooth landing.

All in all, the last 6 weeks with the Sky Cutter has been an amazing experience. Spiro almost drove me crazy, but we finally managed to get it all worked out.

If anyone out there notices something that was not modified, but was a problem with a previous Sky Cutter V1.. Please notify us. We are always looking for ways to make the assembly process easier. We have posted both manuals on our website so you can see the difference. If you're a bit apprehensive about building one, check out the manual. It has a lot of steps, but they take you through the whole process step by step. Check it out and let me know what you think. Let me know if you feel something doesn't sound right or if there are any inconsistancies...

As always, thanks for your help and consideration...