Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Twist 3D

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 Twist 3D

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 10:17 AM
ghee-grose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 Twist 3D

This tailwheel WILL be on ALL my planes from now on! It can't be beat. I did a few rough landings yesterday with it (while I was in harrier mode at 1-2 feet) and the thing looks exactly as when I installed it. The spring really takes the force of impact. It was easy as cake to install too....probably easier than the stock setup.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:20 AM
Cornduster04

I found this really cool 3D website, with all of the manuvers and pics and videos. Maybe you know about this already
but just in case you don't:

http://www.3drc.info/index.htm
Old 06-08-2004, 10:22 AM
ghee-grose

Thanks! I've searched and searched for instruction on these moves and not found much. This looks like a great place to study on!....gotta love the videos too
Old 06-08-2004, 03:34 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what servos are you guys using in this bird? After reading I think I might want one
Old 06-08-2004, 04:30 PM
ghee-grose

I'm using Hitec HS425BB all around except a HS311 on the throttle.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99413.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	141144  
Old 06-10-2004, 07:48 AM
ghee-grose

I flew out 4 more tanks last night on the ol' Twist. Had a great time even though I was all by myself. I got a little braver, and a little better. I'm pretty good at doing the "yank it off to vertical on takeoff and hover at 20' for about a minute" thing. Something else I like doing is bring it screaming past me and do 4-point and 8-point rolls. This thing is very responsive to control and will snap out as crisp and perfect as you can make it! This plane really makes me look good at the field when other folks are there. I pretty much put on a show when I fly!
Old 06-10-2004, 08:01 AM
Lefte
My Feedback: (1)

I don't know what the maneuver is called but

you start very high and go straight down to the runway, then at the last minute fly level with the ground and land the plane.

I completed one last night, scared the heck out of me, but I have been practicing it for about a week.

Lefty
Old 06-10-2004, 08:05 AM
ghee-grose

I call that an IMMEDIATE LANDING!!!! No, I've heard of that one too, but can't think of the name. I will try that next time. I've done the dive part from about as high as I could see it, but not landed it directly.

How's yours holding up to everything? Have you noticed any "weak"spots? I haven't on mine, and have made a few rough landings while trying to drag the tail wheel on harriers.
Old 06-10-2004, 08:11 AM
Lefte

I had a little trouble landing with high winds last night...over shot the runway landed in the grass...other than that, nope it's been great,

I have found that the response is much better than I expected. Turns on a dime with 125% throws on DR and even set to 75% on normal I can flip it pretty easy, I have a

Saito .72 in it and am very happy I stepped up to it. I was originally thinking about a 40.

Now if I could just get the mosquitoes to go away...

Lefty
Old 06-10-2004, 08:16 AM
ghee-grose

Yeah, I love the 125% rates...especially on the ailerons! I don't use the elevator much with 125% though, it seems to make it stall easily, but I do use it some when I'm in a hover.

I tried something for several times last night and couldn't make it happen.....

There's a trick (waterfall, maybe?) that involves making your plane flip end over end. I try to enter it from a fast upline at about 45 degrees, kill the throttle, and right before it slows down too much, give it full forward stick and the tail will flip over the top, then I will bump the throttle to make it continue on around, but it will never finish the flip. I may be underpowered???? CG not far enough back???? Any suggestions?...have you tried this?[]
Old 06-10-2004, 08:20 AM
Lefte

A couple of times, mostly made it happen by accident, I have heard in other threads that it's possible, Have you tried to do the wall? fly straight and level, then full up elevator

(125%) and stop power...go into hover or wait for the nose to drop and continue flying. This is how I threw the tail "under the plane" and did kind-of a back flip.

Lefty
Old 06-10-2004, 08:25 AM
ghee-grose

Yeah, that's a cool one....especially if you do it from takeoff! The back flip thing that you're talking about looks really really cool when it tail slides a few feet and gains speed, cause when it does decide to flip around it really snaps it and sometimes goes a little further around and looks wicked!!!!
Old 06-10-2004, 11:35 AM
tweeter

Well after reading all the pages on this plane i went out and got one. I can't remember the last time a new plane caused so much to be written in here. Ed
Old 06-10-2004, 11:38 AM
Lefte

Tweeter when do you expect to have it ready to go?

Keep us posted and remember TIm the tool man Taylor...MORE POWER grunt grunt grunt...

Lefty
Old 06-10-2004, 12:17 PM
RaptorCam
My Feedback: (14)

I disagree. My twist did knife edges very well and I didn't use any mixing. It did it well enough for me to do sub 12" knife edge flybys. I don't have it anymore as I got rid of my airplane stuff and got a heli but it was my favorite 3D setup.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:17 PM
Cornduster04

You guys are Pro's..I can do a flummsy knife edge and I can rolls, lot of em' and I just learned how to do a waterfall...
My neigbor is gonna teach me how to do a blender. Pretty hard to do but its where you climb straight up and do flatspins
and a sudden full rudder and the plane is suppose just stop in mid air...How cool is that!
Old 06-11-2004, 07:39 PM
RaptorCam
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: Cornduster04

You guys are Pro's..I can do a flummsy knife edge and I can rolls, lot of em' and I just learned how to do a waterfall...
My neigbor is gonna teach me how to do a blender. Pretty hard to do but its where you climb straight up and do flatspins
and a sudden full rudder and the plane is suppose just stop in mid air...How cool is that!
I started doing that one by going into an inverted flatspin and then it would keep spinning, stop decent and then start climbing. After I figured out how to do it from a climb into the spin it was even more fun because you didnt have to wait. It also climbs faster this way too. If I could have gotten it to do it right side up instead of inverted, I could have easily brought it all the way to the ground and landed that way but mine would on do it inverted.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:03 PM
FREEBIRD

I've had the Twist for a month or so, with the .72 it's not a real good 3D ship, it's too heavy, but it will do some cool moves. Try hitting the rudder in slow straight level. it's like a u turn! For me it's not light enough on the sticks like the profiles, or the fan fold electrics. It's cool for $99, but won't sustain hover well, you have to work at it too much. I flew my friends Goldbergs profiles with 46 2 strokes and they were way better. It's a reworked Pizazz. Never the less ,a good value sport plane.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:14 PM
Cornduster04

Heavy Huh? Might be right...I am cloning my Twist into a coroplast version (SPAD). Then it will hover all day long!
Old 06-12-2004, 11:35 AM
suitcase

Well got to fly again Monday and it was windy again. Did a bunch of landings and the last was a little hard and too slow too low. She nosed over a bit and hit the prop stalled and knocked off half the weight on the cheek. So I called it a day. I moved the battery (600mA) under the tank and checked the cg. No good. I put the weight back on and can't see much difference. I hate to move the motor forward cause I'm afraid I'll get into the throttle linkage deal and all. I'm thinking about another engine.
Old 06-12-2004, 10:40 PM
Combat 20

Just reviewed lots of comments throughout this thread and read that the Twist will and won't do a variety of maneuvers. However, I am very pleased with the flying qualities of my particular model. Reading the comments leads me to think that perhaps some modelers are not giving the model a fair chance. I have constructed dozens of models and very seldom does one fly extremely well without tweaking. Common tweaks include: prop change, engine thrust line, both ailerons moved up or down, CG, rates, expo, amount and number of mixes, and control travel. Just last night I raised both ailerons just two turns on the clevis' and it lands much more to my liking. That change will change the way it does a knife edge, a compromise may be necessary. Overall, I believe the Twist has great flying qualities, is very durable, and simply a great value for $94. As is often said on this website, "My two cents worth".
Old 06-12-2004, 10:48 PM
raptorpilot2004

I just bought a Twist from Chief Aircraft about a day ago after hearing some good things about them. An above comment said that with a 72 the plane was a bit heavy[sm=confused.gif]. I think I have seen some pics of twists with 72s in them and noone seemed to have any complaints. I will be putting a Saito 72 in mine. My dad has a Saito 72 in his Carl Goldberg Extreme 330 and after flying it a bunch, I didn't think the weight was effecting the aerobatics of it. I think freebird for got about the CG of the plane?

Bring on the competition everyone, Shane's back and he's bad.[sm=punching.gif]
Old 06-13-2004, 09:02 AM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, here's my bittersweet story...

Building is fast, finished this plane in 7 days (those who know me know what a milestone this is...).

Used 4-40 rods on control surfaces (those 2-56 won't stand up to my flying style).

Plane w/Magnum .52 on the front required 2.5 oz of lead on the nose to balance at 4.75" (wanted to keep in cg recommended range for 1st flight). Also reduced control throws down to 60% of normal (no computer radio).

Maidened at our fun-fly yesterday, nice sunny day, winds gusting 15-20 mph, pretty high thermal activity. First flight really sucked. Balooning was horrific, ke was impossible, plane was always "hunting", inverted kept pulling toward canopy. Magnum .52 was strong, took off in <10ft (totally surprised me). Landing, well, lets just say that it was "rookie night".

Now we start tweaking, Reduced aileron throw to 50%, and fine-tuned ailerons (they were initially set up with a lot of "up" (as in past center line) in them, we brought them to a slightly "down" position). We also double-checked lateral balance, which was fine.

Second flight.....totally different animal. Plane stopped hunting, ke was easy and required very little rudder, inverted was hands off. This plane is too easy to fly (once you set it up correctly). Hovering is too easy, the tail just slides right under itself, and if you get out of position a simple burp of the throttle will settle it right back in. Waterfalls too easy, inverted flatspins are too easy. I have yet to get this plane to snap on low rates (not easy to do on high either). It just likes to flip around on itself. Now mind you, I consider myself a decent pilot, not a good one....definitely not a great one....so keep that in mind. Also I had a strip of lead fall off during flight. It moved the cg back to 5.25" but the plane handled just fine so I kept it off.

This plane hates the wind. I mean, even though the plane weighs in the 5lb ish area, the wind was knocking it all over the place.....and trust me, you will work the sticks all the way down to the ground....but it was fun (IMO the Somethin Extra handles the wind better). But when the wind dies down this plane really comes to life. Landings were basically hands off. Magnum .52 is adequate (strong) and pulls the plane around nicely.

Now the bad news, on about my 7th flight of the day, my battery died....plane spun out of control (almost hit me) and is a total loss[].

Will there be another??? I don't know....probably....deciding on whether I want another funfly type or a true 3D machine. Is it worth the money???definite YES. I got it to replace my Somethin Extra and it actually flies better than that plane, plus being <$100 keeps the wife off my back.

Conclusion: The twist is a very good funfly (great for the $$$) and a decent 3D plane that is easy to put together and fly...
Old 06-13-2004, 10:12 AM
cady1

OK today was my first flight of my new baby after ordered 2 weeks ago i finally got it on Monday and spend 2 nights put in it together, as you all know pretty easy. finally today the weather cooperate and let me fly. First I'm by my self in the field (its better for me by my self)
start my OS .46 swinging a 12.25x3.75 and here i go ,nice take off a little touche to me ,considering this is my first 3D. but after 1 minute i felt like i was flying my alpha trainer but with a lot of response and better characteristics. this airplane lands like a dream. oh i said it was my first 3D but i had a Model Tech Magic Fun Fly before, there is no comparison this airplane its constructed much better and flight better too. The wind at the field it was blowing at 10mph and here i go to my first landing i put it to the wind slowed down the throttle and i felt it was stock in the air(what a nice airplane to land) i put a little more power and the first uneventful landing. Overall its a great airplane and i think the combo with the o.s. .46 max and the 12.25x.375 its great. i haven't try any aerobatics i want to feel comfortable first with the airplane because I'm almost new to the aerobatic field. i recommend this airplane to anybody that have successfully completed a training. don't get scarred that because its aerobatic its hard to flight it almost the same but a little bit more sensitive.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:23 AM
FlyerBry
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: wildnloose

This plane hates the wind. I mean, even though the plane weighs in the 5lb ish area, the wind was knocking it all over the place.....and trust me, you will work the sticks all the way down to the ground....but it was fun (IMO the Somethin Extra handles the wind better). But when the wind dies down this plane really comes to life. Landings were basically hands off. Magnum .52 is adequate (strong) and pulls the plane around nicely.
Funny, I have flown my twist in what I estimate to be 25+ mph wind and was really surprised by how well it did. I wouldn't say the Twist "hates the wind" at all. It does require more speed to keep it flying well when the wind increases since it is such a light plane. The slow, just above stall speed maneuvers that this plane does on a calm day are definitely out of the question in windy conditions but that isn't anything new. A fully aerobatic plane with a thinner wing that cuts through the wind better would probably handle the same conditions a bit better but that type of plane typically flies with more speed than a Twist as well.

Sorry to hear you lost your Twist. It is such a nice flying plane I like it more every time I fly mine. I too found that it balooned a lot when I first flew it. It is definitely a better flying plane once it is dialed in correctly.

I am curious though, you said it crashed after your seventh flight of the day. What kind of battery are you running and did you charge at the field half way through the day? Sounds like maybe you had a false peak if you were using a peak detecting charger. I can usually squeeze in four flights on my Twist with a standard 600mah battery - with all the servo movements and the size of the control surfaces on the Twist you can go through a battery a bit quicker than other planes that spend more time in straight and level flight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.