Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 Twist 3D

Old 10-31-2005, 12:00 PM
Waldopepperaxel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Hangar 9 Twist 3D

IBarnes - Yes, move the weight back, it will help, I had to actually cut a hatch right behind the wing saddle to get my weight back to 4.75, which is now home for my battery, this helped me in the hover greatly, but I think I would like to add a little more weight in the hatch as to make it balance out at around 5 - 5.25 I'm sure that would be great for 3d as suggested by the other pilots. I can do a lot of 3d with the twist at its current balance 4.75 but I really have to work it in the hover,,,,,I'd rather the plane just do it. use the 15% fuel and spare burning out your motor a little earlier...

Hiroman Congrats on the maiden flight, yes try the 14x4 prop you'll love it !!! mine rocks also with it and a 70 Surpass II of course, larger wheels and a landing gear would be most helpful as TimC said, as I swing the 14x4 with the factory landing apparatus and I do get a nice lawn cutting in as well as the flight, over the winter I too will lengthen the landing gear and wheels.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:35 PM
hiroman
My Feedback: (-1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

here is my twist with Magnum xl81rsf... CG at 41/2 no weight added.
flie perfact LOL
Old 11-01-2005, 10:38 PM
hiroman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

[img][/img]cool
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49305.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	347381   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt60171.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	347382  
Old 11-02-2005, 01:49 PM
Alessandro 78

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello everyone,

I applied a little nice feature on my twist: the smoke system.
It works really good.
The only problem is that I always finish the smoke oil really soon (the fuel can is little )

Alessandro

Name:	Ca80633.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	347656   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63407.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	347657   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di98765.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	347658   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo36353.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	347659   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cn79225.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	347660  
Old 11-03-2005, 11:50 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

NIIIIICCCCE Hiroman, I love the look of a big ol motor sticking out of the top of a plane that looks like you will have no problem at all going vertical. are u swinging a 14x4 or something on that bad boy??
Old 11-03-2005, 12:02 PM
Waldopepperaxel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Alessandro,, Very cool, what motor do you have on that thing??? I was told not to bother with a smoke system with the 40 size planes cause it wouldn't produce enough smoke, And that was by the model place I go to where He would LOVE to sell anything... maybe technology is better now??? I wanted to put a smoke system in my Ultimate Bi plane with an OS .46 in there, he reccomended I didn't,,, My 70 Surpass 4 stroke puts out some nice smoke on the Twist when I was running it in so I think a smoke sytem in the Twist is awesome !!!! and would look great send some pics when you get her going, That just might be my winter project,,, SMOKERS for all my planes [8D]

Name:	Mk27012.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	348130  
Old 11-03-2005, 05:52 PM
hiroman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Waldopepperaxel. Yes I do not have problem with vertical, Im hovering at little over 1/4 stick LOL
currently using 13x4 APC LHS is out of stock on 14x4. will try it on the weekends.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:20 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thats great !!! hovering at 1/4 throttle.... how does yours hold the hover?? I seem to have a problem hovering for more than 15 to 25 seconds I seem to be fighting it the whole time, and end up losing the battle and just blasting back into orbit, but it does hover, and I'm balanced in at 4.75 and mine also hovers around the 1/4 to 3/8s mark on the throttle, This plane is a rocket ship with wheels....
Old 11-04-2005, 12:12 PM
hiroman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

mine hovers about 5 seconds with out problem but it is little twitchy. Ive only been flying for 3month now but i do most 3d manuvers...well been flying helis for about 4 years tho LOL
my CGs at 41/2 and its fine. I might try putting OS91 surpass LOL its looking for home....
Old 11-07-2005, 02:02 AM
foxworth

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There are two of the TWIST planes at my club. The first is an ARF,the second is a plug and play type. (comes complete,just add reciever and fuel) I have the plug and play.The plane is GREAT!! Great 3D plane,only limited by the pilots courage.
Old 11-07-2005, 02:18 PM
Waldopepperaxel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hiroman you may need flight clearance from NASA if you strap that 91 on there.[>:] Yeee haaaaa, That I would like to see, I am going to be buying a 1.20 This winter for my mig 27 and I might just strap that on the Twist for fun,, if your 91 doesn't rip the skin off her,[X(]

This weekend was Awesome for NY Flying, we had a great Saturday, we flew for at least 5 straight hours,,, A couple of flights I tried not to even fly any straight lines at all,, I took off snap rolling Vertical with the Twist straight into the Sky, then yarned the Ailerons to max spin control and never let it go until I needed to land on the Wheels, It was the most controlled,, uncontrolled looking flight I ever had, The Twist lived up to its name, it was all over the sky,,,, looked great and I gave most spectators heart attacks with the maneuvers this plane had done, thought it was going into the ground at full speed many times, it never looked in control ever... sometimes I wondered when the wing was going to snap off the fuse from so much torque,, But I was in complete control the whole time,,, what a plane !!!!!

Then of course the 3D stuff was awesome as well, had the waterfall going for the 1st time and now I'm working on the torque roll, the hover was getting pretty good this week coming close to a full minute, so I think I can get the T roll incorporated now, My next feat will be the Deathspin into the inverted flatspin flip it back over in the flat spin and land flat spinning.... I think I'm going to need to invest in some Glue & Balsa trying to get that last one in

The best $99.00 I have ever spent for sure...
Old 11-07-2005, 05:10 PM
S-a-v-a-g-e

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I can now take off, do loops and rolls and land all by my self, with a Hangar 9 Alpha 40 trainer. I have a twist in my closet and was wondering if im ready for it? I will be putting my Evolution .46 in it.....
Old 11-08-2005, 08:26 AM
ghee-grose

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Waldopepperaxel

My next feat will be the Deathspin into the inverted flatspin flip it back over in the flat spin and land flat spinning.... I think I'm going to need to invest in some Glue & Balsa trying to get that last one in

The best $99.00 I have ever spent for sure...

Ok... you've got to put a name to that trick! I'd love to see that one pulled off. Let us know how it goes.[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 11-08-2005, 10:46 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Savage- The low wing tail dragger will have a different feel on the ground then a top wing, but the principles are close to the same in the air, usually the low wing plane will want to land a little faster then a trainer, but the Twist is a different story, it flys very stable at low speeds, I don't think you'll have a problem at all, but she flys right where you ask it to. unlike a trainer which you can pretty much let go of the controls and it will find its way back to level flight if its trimmed out right.

So get the Twist ready to go, then take your trainer up for a few tanks to get yourself adjusted and warmed up and then,,,, I say go for it, and welcome to the Stunt plane world. you have to learn sometime.. and theres no time like right now... Just keep the throws on the Twist at the lower settings to start and feel your way out from there...
Old 11-08-2005, 11:44 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ghee-Grose - Wow I never really thought of naming a trick before, well,, like actually naming it, I guess I just figured if I'm doing something I'm sure its been done, as well as the stunt last described.

The hard part I think will be finding the Starting point in the sky and actually Landing on the runway while flat spinning, I know I can find the runway from the deathspin I have many times. its real easy to hit the runway dropping like a missile. I'll have to think on that one While I might be rebuilding it after trying to flatspin land.[&:] Maybe I should call it, Homers Nightmare or DOH!!!! Seeing Homer Simpson is in the Cockpit. But I'll probably just call it the ITS TIME TO REBUILD MY PLANE MANEUVER

This Picture Is Homers last attempt at a Deathspin into a flatspin, It started with a vertical going up death spin into a waterfall (Very cool looking) then a deathspin into a flat spin with the Ultra Sport 40. The 70- 4 stroke is now in the Twist, so is Homer, although he was reluctant to go. I think the elevator control horn released about half way into the flat spin because she dropped like a rock from about 100 feet up in the deathspin and never came out of it.
Attached Images  
Old 11-14-2005, 09:00 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well Another beautiful November weekend in NY, this is unbelievable, I tried the death spin/ inverted flat spin to the flat spin landing again and again & again, with no success,, Close, but no cigar, I almost bought the farm 3 or 4 times and 1 time I actually hit the ground and dented the right wing tip but nothing broke, phewwww its definitely a heart wrenching maneuver and gets your blood pumping at 9 on a Saturday morning.

A bright note::: The twist and the Tiger were flying together in formation Saturday when we collided in the air, [>:] The Tinman from the Wiz of Oz is the pilot figure in the Tiger, well The TWIST cut the Tinmans head in half & ripped the canopy right off and broke the fin loose on the Tiger[&o] Poooor Tiger, The Twist was un-scaved no damage at all,, so I did a victory climbing snap roll and then we landed both planes safely,, Have I said I loved this plane?? Where was the camera I say, we always miss the great stuff
Old 11-22-2005, 11:09 AM
skukreja
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I thought I'd revive the thread with both a teaser and a request.. As you can see, the cowl is coming along nicely.. lots of dust but so far it has been worth it.. Just going to need some covering.. Along that vein, does anyone have extra "pinstripes" from their totalled Twists.. I have the purple, but no hotpink and it isn't worth buying a whole roll for it..

Name:	Sq47817.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	358602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs58682.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	358603  
Old 11-22-2005, 07:02 PM
S-a-v-a-g-e

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

skukreja, What kind of wheel pants are those? Could you attach a few more pics of them with the wing on?

Thanks.-
Old 11-23-2005, 12:53 AM
skukreja
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: S-a-v-a-g-e

skukreja, What kind of wheel pants are those? Could you attach a few more pics of them with the wing on?

Thanks.-
Hit page 83 of this thread.. They are factory wheel pants from a Four Star 40 strapped to tetherite landing gear.. They work great, even on my grass field.. Since the pictures on that page, I've recovering the inside of the cockpit purple and used and APC prop.. and now the cowl..

Sachin
Old 11-23-2005, 06:38 PM
E-Mo
My Feedback: (12)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

skukreja
i have most of my plane still left
does it have to be the strips up front or can you cut them
from any pink/purple stip?
Old 12-01-2005, 02:46 AM
RCDOC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

WOW This is the best sight I have ever seen on any one Airplane . I also have joined the multitudes and put a twist up in my little shop of planes and all I can say is WOW WOW WOW. SOOOO much fun. The first time I switched from my Hangar 9 P51 to the Twist and forgot to put the rates on low....what a surprise...Pulled back to lift off and that is certainly what it did...STRAIGHT UP as straight as an arrow WITH ATTITUDE.

PS. LOVE THE SAITO .82

engine died at 150 ft and I deadsticked it to the runway with noproblems.

(my fault still working on how to get the Saitos to run right)

I have flown mostly 2 strokes and the whole 4 stroke thing is very new to me. I set the engine to where the manual says is rich and the eng wants to spudder at full throttle. If I try to lean it out it seams to get worse. I tried richening it and that was know better. I am going to try the prop recommended by RCU Magazine.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=408

and try it again when it warms up or maybe in the garage (-20 celcius in alberta today Brrrrr. )

Love any wisdom on saito 4 stroke tuning KEEP ON FLYING.

PPS. If you are looking at the Twist For your next plane after your trainer I would deffinately Recommend the twist and the .82 saito however I would also recomend and this is just me ( an advanced beginner flyer ) that you even lower the lowest rates just a little bit lower than what is recomended in the flight manual. I had no problem with my fisrt flight but it was a little on the touchy side I thought.
for a beginner anyway... just my thoughts though have fun no matter what you decide.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:49 AM
RCDOC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Love theTwist with the Saito .82 just wish I could learn to tune it better. Anyone tell me how? I set it Rich at 2.5 turns out and then it want to spudder at full throttle and it does not seem to improve when I try to lean it out but it gets worse Help please, tuning is NOT my forte.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:12 AM
PropSpinner
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm no expert on Saito's but this guy is. Try this sight! http://saito-engines.info/index.html
Old 12-01-2005, 09:28 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Twist Lovers,

Just thought I'd give you an update on my last day of the season, It snowed and now our field is unaccessible, but we are moving anyway so all my planes are being held up in storage at a fellow pilots house, actually,, the very pilot who almost hit me during a landing, the same guy who I was flying formation with and we collided (The story was a couple of threads back)

We had a blast our last morning out, putting the twist through every tormenting trick I could possibly think of, anyway during the 3rd flight of the day we again were messing around together and it was finally time to come in, the Tinman was piloting the tiger to a landing and the Twist was following him in about 50 yards back, when the wind turned his plane into a knife edge about 10 feet from the ground, when it came flying right at us We all had to kind of dive out of the way, well so I thought anyway, but when I looked backed up, the Twist was gone [] for it has went down in the in the horse yard, and then the cracking of the Tiger went in behind all our vehicles, when the smoke had cleared we lost the Tiger II and the Twist, The Twist wasn't too bad, luckily it was slowing for a landing at impact, busted the fuse in half, The back elevator and rudder and the wing were in tact, landing gear ripped out, the canopy was torn off on one side and the pilot Homer Simpson ejected safely and was sitting about 3 feet from the plane, No horses were injured, The Tiger was considered totaled but rebuild-able.

So it was a fitting dramatic ending to the season, I never thought I'd smash up the Twist because of another plane flying at me, [X(] especially after all the close calls that were encountered doing the stunt stuff,, But totaly my fault, I should have been flying high and straight while the other pilot was landing in a high cross wind, I'm glad we have the people we do in our club, They all have a great sense of Humor, because if you don't expect the unexpected in this hobby your gonna be in a bad mood most of the time, Again, the saying we live by, is the stupidest thing is going to bring your plane into the ground, so be prepared to laugh about it and rebuild. I have to say we all laughed pretty hard for a while on that one, the good news is both planes will be repaired over the winter and back for more fun as soon as the field thaws..

Until then I will be sitting on the edge of my seat living vicariously through all you guys who can continue to fly, Flying my Flight sim's, creating new planes, rebuilding old ones, and feverishly awaiting the 1st flight of the Twist next season. Have fun, and if you can think of it, DO IT !!! the Twist can handle it all...
Old 12-01-2005, 06:00 PM
Ron Kinsey

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

RCDoc...Take My Word...Before you do anything else...Put In A OS-F Plug!! Trust me...it's worth it!
I'll almost gaurantee that will solve your problem...

Good Luck!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.