Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 Twist 3D

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hangar 9 Twist 3D

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 06:45 PM
RCDOC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hangar 9 Twist 3D

Ok its my turn to put in my two cents about the twist.

(1) Can it be your first plane ...Yes (If you have someone who knows how to fly and you trust helps you with it eg. r/c club If you don't have the help and you think you have some amazing talents for Flying R/C or you are a Actual Real life size Pilot and think you can fly because you know all the principles....Guess again. eg. I personally know Real life Pilots and they have tried to fly my planes on a Trainer cord and they do "ok" but for the most part after the first 30 sec's or so they are in as much trouble as most new pilots it just takes a "little" longer.

(2) I tried to learn to fly twice on my own and did I succeed yes I did "SUCK-ceed But that was after much fixing and time spent that can certainly be much better spent flying if you get a instructor I was young and we didn't have a r/c field for 100 miles. After my second attempt I quite until I was older (26yrs) and a buddy got into it and he introduced me to the club he joined. Much much more fun still had crashes once I went solo but they were much much less frequent.

Now flying is awesome and all because I don't have to think nearly as much when landing and on take-off. Actually landings an take-offs are fun and a pasttime. try to get the perfect takeoff with the trims only and no outer inputs from the controls. It's cool to just throttle up and see the plane takeoff at a nice slow striaght climb, with no other inputs.

I moved to a larger city and had not touched the sticks for quite some time and when I got the bug for the 4th time I was 30yrs old and a little bit rusty on the sticks. My old hobby store pal who taught me to fly recommended I try electrics and at first I thought he was nuts but I took his advice and you know what.....I can only wish that "Everyone Who wants to learn this hobby on there own" This only Applys to the ones of you that want to Learn on your own. Buy this plane and a set of controls from your local hobby store and you will still have a harder time than if you had an instructor but the plane flys slower than gas giving you alot more time to react and is much easier to fix. (trust me this is Handy on your first plane. )The plane that wins the prise for best electric firsttime plane for the first time pilot is THE GWS E-STARTER

I flew wings off this plane and my 2 brothers 1 cousin and and 3 friends all enjoy flying the e-starter I have since put a brushless engine on mine and it is a riot for your fisrt plane TRUST ME

I now fly gas and electrics and It is the way a hobby should be FUN!

Feel free to email me any questions you might have about the E-starter at [email protected] (please put "Estarter" for the subject)

Bottom line LEARN TO FLY THEN FLY BUT ....If you must (cause there is noone to teach you or you just want to do it on your own use the estarter cause it is a lot easyer to glue. I could usually get mine goin in an hour after a crash with five min. apoxy and a new prop.

Sorry if I sound Preachy or offend anyone who has learned to fly on there own just trying to help the first timer

LATER AND ENJOY ALL
Old 01-03-2006, 07:28 PM
Jack211

RCDOC,

I saw pix of your Twist, Bipe, and P-51D--so I know you can fly.

You said:
Actually landings an take-offs are fun and a pasttime. try to get the perfect takeoff with the trims only and no outer inputs from the controls. It's cool to just throttle up and see the plane takeoff at a nice slow striaght climb, with no other inputs.

I suspect, after a while, we ALL get a favorite time of flying, cherished moments, when things go right, we stop THINKING of how to fly and just DO it. That moment is awesome, when you goose the throttle and see your lovely bird change from ground-bound rubber wheels and built up balsa to something magical, almost by itself, taking off. Yet we know it didn't take off all by itself. Hours of time building right, prepping right, trimming right, tuning right... results in the grace of flight.

I've always taken pride in landings, probably the toughest part of flying. When you're three mistakes high, you can do anything and still say you're "flying." But when you bring the bird in on approach, come round, float into the wind, reduce power--that's where the rubber hits the road in FLYING, to abuse an adage. My flying goal is ALWAYS to perform a landing when, no sudden elevator, no bumps or crazy meanderings, the moment between being airborne and being on the ground is INDISTINGUISHABLE. It's one of those moments when you sigh, "Wow." It's nice to have an audience at such moments, but one is not truly needed for me any more. I just sit there with the engine idling, headed into the wind at a dead stop, awaiting the taxi back to the flight line. Wow.

I had one of those moments recently with my Twist/SAITO 82. It was such a great feeling I wanted to do it again, so I goosed her, got her 10 feet high--then the engine quit--out of gas. The grace of flight--and a perfect landing--had mesmerized me. I HAD to do it again. Then the realities of the flying world crashed into me. I had forgotten about the clock in the fun I was having. I was in the wrong place at the wrong time with a bird out of gas. I crashed.

But Twist #4 was resurrected and flew again, flew today. And I shall keep looking for those perfect landings, those perfect moments. (And TRY to remember, beyond the grace, that flying is bounded by realities... fuel, light, wind.)

The true challenge with such a landing is with my 3D, tail heavy birds. You have to fly them into the ground, constant up elevator, of course, matching decrease in speed, so a single thread in a gloved hand will wreck a perfect landing. It seems to work best on snow with skiis, I've noticed. And the first flights, before the snow is tracked is somehow very special.

Flying is like that, hm?

Jack
Old 01-03-2006, 08:39 PM
RCDOC

DUDE! THAT WAS DEEP!!! But ya hit the nail on the head. Still remember my first perfect landing. My flying pal was helping me and he was talking me down but the sticks were in my hands and WOW what a feeling....Just pure grease thats all I can say. It is exactly like what you were saying...when you get to that one moment in time when you do a manuver and you are then kinda surprised cause your hands just seemed to do the right thing and you never had to think about it. SWEEEEEET !!!
Old 01-03-2006, 09:13 PM
patnjimtucker

Jack211 & RcDoc. Good adivce and nice words. Jim Tucker
Old 01-03-2006, 09:23 PM
Matthew Allen

ORIGINAL: Jack211

RCDOC,

I saw pix of your Twist, Bipe, and P-51D--so I know you can fly.

You said:
Actually landings an take-offs are fun and a pasttime. try to get the perfect takeoff with the trims only and no outer inputs from the controls. It's cool to just throttle up and see the plane takeoff at a nice slow striaght climb, with no other inputs.

I suspect, after a while, we ALL get a favorite time of flying, cherished moments, when things go right, we stop THINKING of how to fly and just DO it. That moment is awesome, when you goose the throttle and see your lovely bird change from ground-bound rubber wheels and built up balsa to something magical, almost by itself, taking off. Yet we know it didn't take off all by itself. Hours of time building right, prepping right, trimming right, tuning right... results in the grace of flight.

I've always taken pride in landings, probably the toughest part of flying. When you're three mistakes high, you can do anything and still say you're "flying." But when you bring the bird in on approach, come round, float into the wind, reduce power--that's where the rubber hits the road in FLYING, to abuse an adage. My flying goal is ALWAYS to perform a landing when, no sudden elevator, no bumps or crazy meanderings, the moment between being airborne and being on the ground is INDISTINGUISHABLE. It's one of those moments when you sigh, "Wow." It's nice to have an audience at such moments, but one is not truly needed for me any more. I just sit there with the engine idling, headed into the wind at a dead stop, awaiting the taxi back to the flight line. Wow.

I had one of those moments recently with my Twist/SAITO 82. It was such a great feeling I wanted to do it again, so I goosed her, got her 10 feet high--then the engine quit--out of gas. The grace of flight--and a perfect landing--had mesmerized me. I HAD to do it again. Then the realities of the flying world crashed into me. I had forgotten about the clock in the fun I was having. I was in the wrong place at the wrong time with a bird out of gas. I crashed.

But Twist #4 was resurrected and flew again, flew today. And I shall keep looking for those perfect landings, those perfect moments. (And TRY to remember, beyond the grace, that flying is bounded by realities... fuel, light, wind.)

The true challenge with such a landing is with my 3D, tail heavy birds. You have to fly them into the ground, constant up elevator, of course, matching decrease in speed, so a single thread in a gloved hand will wreck a perfect landing. It seems to work best on snow with skiis, I've noticed. And the first flights, before the snow is tracked is somehow very special.

Flying is like that, hm?

Jack
May I just say, that was really nicely put. Man, I need to go flying...

Matthew
Old 01-04-2006, 08:56 AM
Waldopepperaxel

Yup you said it Jack, I just did my catching up on the Twist Thread, been kind of busy, BUT MAN I NEED TO GO FLYING NOW FOR SURE!!!!! You guys are killing me!!! [:@] I will be gluing the Twist back together tonight, only 3 more months until we can start accessing our field again, good thing I have flight sims.

Congrats on the purchase of the Twist Matthew, You are about to experience a plane with no boundaries at all, Some of my friends can't even watch me fly this plane because they think I'm going into the ground half the time, so there always oooohin and ahhhhing [X(] with a cringe on their face, [&:] but you can have that much control with her, I'm always spinning all over the place with this plane about 3 to 10 feet above the ground at full speed, God Bless the unlimited vertical, It has saved my butt many times as I really like to push the envelope inside out on this plane. And I too flew this bird all summer with no mishaps until our last day when I had to take my eyes off her & duck to avoid being hit by another plane on a landing, I was also coming in about 200 yards further back, I thought it would have looked great to see both planes come in one after another, but instead both planes looked great crashing into the ground one after another but that was all my fault for putting myself into that predicament, all I did was crack the fuse where everyone has been saying their planes have broke behind the cockpit.

Happy New Years all, I hope your all busy building new toys, my next adventure is going to be an Ultra Sport 1.20 to build that was given to me, and what a coincidence that I also have a Mig 27 that takes a 1.20 Guess I'm saving for a new motor, Keep Twisting....
Old 01-04-2006, 11:10 PM
150flyer

Here's a Twin Twist!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99824.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	381296  
Old 01-04-2006, 11:15 PM
TimC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

150 Flyer, that twin went by so fast I missed it!
Old 01-05-2006, 12:13 PM
Waldopepperaxel

THATS FREAKIN GREAT !!!! LOL
Old 01-06-2006, 07:48 AM
tributestoall
Banned

question, i might buy a 2nd twist, and, deciding on motor, i either want a YS .63, or a saito .82, which one should i get, i hear the yS is a little cheaper, and has gobs of power Thanks for answers
Old 01-06-2006, 05:43 PM
PropSpinner
My Feedback: (15)

Hello tributestoall,

For every dozen people who say buy Saito you will find a dozen who say buy YS. They are both good engines. I personally have only owned a Saito but would like to buy a YS the next time I purchase a four stroke because of the built in fuel pump. The pump shouldn't give you any more power but should keep the fuel supply constant regardless of plane attitude and tank level. This translates to better throttle response and reliability. I personally find this very appealing. Others will disagree.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:39 PM
ghee-grose

Hey Twisters, just checking in and reading up on what you're all doing with your Twists. I've severely neglected mine for too long. She's not that far out of commision either... nothing a few CA hinges in the rudder and some Gorilla Glue on the landing gear can't fix.

Really, when it warms up a little I'm gonna get that thing going again. I miss flying it pretty bad. She's my first, my last, my everything. (Well, not exactly) It is still my first Twist that I maidened in May of 2004(see page 6 of this thread), but it hasn't seen the air since early summer. I've been flying too many electric planes lately.

I enjoy hearing all the stories... keep 'em coming! [sm=thumbup.gif]

ghee-grose
Old 01-06-2006, 07:01 PM
Downtrodden

I'd save your money and install an O.S. 61 FX and have a ball! They get better mileage than either four-stroke you mentioned and when propped with a MAS 13x5 are out of this world and this comes from a guy that's on his fourth Twist and flies them almost exclusively. My 2 cents. Peace.
Old 01-07-2006, 02:11 AM
RCDOC

You may want to try that .61 that downtrodden is talkin about cause sounds like he knows what he is talkin about. I have the Saito .82 Golden Knight and love it. Wicked endless vert. These guys liked it to :

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=408

As a matter of fact they loved it and it kinda takes the guess work out of what prop to try and such .....it is all listed there for ya to try.

As long as you get a half decent eng you will have fun with the twist. I have only flown mine for 10 mins at the end of last fall and I can't wait for spring. If you do get the Saito .82 may I suggest you throw the glow plug in the garbage and put in a os plug- it will save you a lot of heart aches.
Old 01-07-2006, 05:33 AM
Matthew Allen

ORIGINAL: tributestoall

question, i might buy a 2nd twist, and, deciding on motor, i either want a YS .63, or a saito .82, which one should i get, i hear the yS is a little cheaper, and has gobs of power Thanks for answers

I don't yet have a Twist, so I wont pretend to be an authority on this subject, but if you're willing to spend the money, I think you should get the 4 stroke. I've read this entire thread, and all the people who fitted Saitos and other good 4 strokes were REALLY happy with the way their Twists flew. They all liked the torque and extra 3D ability a 4 stroke gives.

In writing this, I mustn't be tempted to use the Laser 70 I have, instead of the Super Tigre .45. I have the Laser earmarked for a big Super Cub, but it sure would be cool on the Twist...

Matthew
Old 01-07-2006, 04:23 PM
Downtrodden

Today I flew my .61, O.S. powered Twist for 21 minutes and had fuel to spare when I landed. The flight was entirely 3D and hovering was a greater part of my flight sequence. I'm flying off of a frozen pond with Lexan skis and the temperature was below freezing. Is there a four-stroke out there that can match that? (Oh, and the winds were gusting to 15mph) Granted, the Saito .82 on the Twist is a wonder, but for the money and considering fuel economy, I'll invest my bucks on the OS .61 FX. Again, just my two cents. Peace.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the tank is a stock 11oz. that comes with the Twist. Sweet huh?
Old 01-11-2006, 05:04 PM
RCDOC

21 mins is some nice fly time. I have my Saito .82 and have not put a full tank through it yet but I would bet that it wouldn't beat that. Anyone time there saito .82's with the stock 11 oz tank (same kinda flight that downtrodden was doing with his .61 OS) that can give us a fly time?
Old 01-11-2006, 08:34 PM
chadvone
My Feedback: (2)

Been awhile since had my Twist, but I was setting the clock for 10 minutes. Wasn't getting much past that. The 82 is thirsty. On same airplane my 91 will fly 5+ minutes longer. But I don't think I would put the 91 on a Twist. The 82 is gobbs powerfull for this bird.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:06 PM
Downtrodden

My flying bud has that very setup (Saito .82 and Twist w/stock tank) and I believe that he doesn't get much more than ten minutes, but I'll let him speak for himself if he ever gets back to posting in this forum.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:07 PM
Downtrodden

Oops, double post.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:21 PM
TimC

A friend has an .82 in his Twist. He is easily getting 10 min. from the provided tank. With the low speed needle properly leaned, the 11 oz. tank should be plenty big enough.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:50 AM
RCDOC

I have a very short Video of my Twist with the Saito .82 Golden Knight on it. This is my second flight and I had just flown the mustang before this one and forgot I had left my radio on triple Rates. Also the plane had the original plug in it and I'm told that the Os plug is the way to go with the saito's ....so that combined with me, not too good at setting the needles and that makes for a very interesting 2nd flight and deadstick landing. I hope you enjoy my 10 seconds of terror.

Ps. This place is great for putting (no pun intended) your videos on. Very simple

http://media.putfile.com/STRAIGHT-UP-with-a-TWIST
Old 01-12-2006, 09:05 AM
TimC

You have some nice looking planes RCDOC. Heck, set the needles where it will stay running and fly it like that. My takeoffs look just like that; about a 10 ft. roll and straight up.
Old 01-12-2006, 05:40 PM
RCDOC

Thanks. I would love to know where the setting is for that but in the spring when I don't freeze my fingers off messen with the gas I will certainly figure it out. To be honest I think it was a combo of older gas and the saito plug. So I am pretty confident that I won't have to much trouble in the spring.

How bout everyone getting together some of there best Twist video and we have a "Best Twist Video" Competion over the next couple months. The last day of the competion should be the first day of spring ....whenever that is.

Bring it on boys Lets see what you can do.

I know I havn't set the bar to high .....BRING IT ON!!!
Old 01-12-2006, 09:10 PM
Jack211

150, damn. That's an almost credible picture! Good work. I wish I could believe it.

Jack

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.