Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Quick Fuel Valves

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Quick Fuel Valves

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 04:49 PM
msrock1954

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Fuel Valves

Relatively new to this hobby, but ready to learn and learning fast!!! I tried to install one of the quick type fuel valves, that eliminates having to disconnect fuel line from carb to fuel the tank, in my Hobbico Superstar Select 40 trainer. I drilled the hole to mount the valve under the engine, and to my dismay disovered that the threaded spool of the valve isn't long enough to extend all the way thru so I can put the lock nut on it from the outside surface of the plane? Before I fill the hole I drilled with some wood putty I thought I'd see if any of my fellow fliers had any suggestions!!!
Old 04-05-2004, 05:16 PM
serge1
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Quick Fuel Valves

ORIGINAL: msrock9154

Relatively new to this hobby, but ready to learn and learning fast!!! I tried to install one of the quick type fuel valves, that eliminates having to disconnect fuel line from carb to fuel the tank, in my Hobbico Superstar Select 40 trainer. I drilled the hole to mount the valve under the engine, and to my dismay disovered that the threaded spool of the valve isn't long enough to extend all the way thru so I can put the lock nut on it from the outside surface of the plane? Before I fill the hole I drilled with some wood putty I thought I'd see if any of my fellow fliers had any suggestions!!!

Want to learn something else? Stay away from these valves! they all start to leak someday
resulting in dead stick and all kind of engines problem. I had several plane with these junks
and they all failed someday or another. Look carefully at your field and you will discover that all experimented pilots are running with a 3 lines systems or something very similar. The other option is to do like me: Live And learn!

When your 2000 bucks plane dead stick due to a 5 bucks valve you understand better.

My 2 cents
Serge
Old 04-05-2004, 05:25 PM
msrock1954

I appreciate your advice, and the more I think about it the more I wish I had poo pooed the idea!!! Oh well I guess there's something to that live and learn motto!!! Thanks!!!
Old 04-05-2004, 05:57 PM
serge1

Yup. 3 line system with a good fuel dot is the way to go.

Serge
Old 04-05-2004, 06:23 PM
AcroJo

msrock, I have a couple quick fuelers without a problem. Maybe I'm lucky. I have one over two years with constant use. Regarding your question, way back, I drilled in the wrong location to find out that the area was too thick. I took a nut and bolt with two washers and assembled them in the hole. Tightened it up just enough to compress the wood without crushing it. That was all it needed to fit the lock nut on the fueler. Good luck, Joe
Old 04-06-2004, 04:08 AM
jbflier

I've used the Dubro fill systems (gas & nitro) off and on for 10+ years without problem, although I now favor using one of the many "Dot" systems that are available..........[8D]
Old 04-06-2004, 05:32 AM
H. Wayne S
My Feedback: (18)

Those valves are great untill you get one little bitty speck of dirt in them. Then they leak and draw air.Engine quits ! Go with a "T" and plug or a fill dot. No way to have a problrm unless the line gets a hole in it.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:59 AM
adavis

I'm a bit new to all this...

...What is a "dot fill"?

Many Thanks,
=Adrian=
Old 04-06-2004, 08:03 AM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: adavis
...What is a "dot fill"?
Here are a couple of "fuel dots" for you:

Old 04-06-2004, 08:32 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thes fuel valves are a great concept - but as most find out - can be a PITA.
On gas engines - especially .
The diaphram pump in the Walbro type carbs, require a solid head of fuel, to operate properly.
a loose fitting fuel line on a tank is enough to stop them from operating .
the fuel valves -which can seep air a bit, will cause starting probles etc.. which are seemingly impossible to detect.
Anytime I get asked for help ona new model which "won't start"-- the first part of the questions is - what did you do for a tank/fuel fill setup .
99% of all these problems is in the tubing connections and filler /filter setups .
Old 04-06-2004, 08:39 AM
Richard L.

I have had three quick fueling valves fail on me, and I've seen three more start leaking air at the field. It is impossible for fuel dots to fail since they are just fuel line plugs.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:40 AM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used the great planes and dubro quik fills for years with no problems. I dont know what these people are doing with them but they work fine for me and I plan on using them in the future.

good luck
Old 04-06-2004, 01:56 PM
rfw1953
My Feedback: (2)

Dick, I know you are among the experts on engine topics, so no challenges from me. I have heard about this concern before, but fortunately it's never happened to me. I use Dubro fuel valves on all of my airplanes and never had a problem, gas included. Now watch one bite me in the buttocks...... I guess this topic is like the one on CA hinges. Guys use them for years without a problem and then one day it gets them. Same with stock fuel tanks. I guess I have read enough about concerns over fuel valves to begin changing over to fuel dots as I go. Sold!
Old 04-06-2004, 02:04 PM
AcroJo

Hello Dick, saw some of your work in last months "Model Aviation". Very detailed work. Here is a question for you. On a Saito 100 I now have a "Cline" regulator, with a stated captured pressure of 2 to 12 Lbs. Do I need to use clamps on the fuel line where it joins the tank, fittings, etc? Thanks in advance, Joe
Old 04-06-2004, 02:30 PM
photoniq

Someone posted a picture of fuel dots but did not describe what it is or how it works. Can someone explain it to me please?
Cheers,
photoniq
Old 04-06-2004, 02:35 PM
photoniq

ok sorry - i did a search and found this informative thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_16...tm.htm#1606810
Old 04-06-2004, 03:31 PM
kerrydel
My Feedback: (2)

Okay. I'll admit it. I'm stupid. How do I plumb the 3 lines. One to the needle valve that draws fuel from the bottom of the tank, one vent line to the top of the tank that goes to the muffler, and one ???? And how do you end up with 2 lines hanging out the bottom?

In a "normal" set up, I remove the line to the needle valve to fill and remove the line to the muffler for overflow.

Thanks

Kerry
Old 04-06-2004, 05:15 PM
Modelflyer99

Try one of the F1 fuellers from Slimline.
A great product that is sooo simple and effective.[8D]

[link]http://www.slimlineproducts.com[/link]
Old 04-06-2004, 06:58 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Model Aviation stuff was likely from one of the other Dick Hansen (Hansen) guys who build etc..
The Scale Builder guy lives in Oregon
I am in Utah and the VP is in Arizona -
I do mostly aerobatic and did pattern stuff for years -
I flew scale ONCE got 2nd in 84 at the Nats - (Dalotel -on cover of Dec 84 Model Avaition)
I am too lazy to do really nice scale stuff.
The Cline regulator sets close to the carb and the fuel supply should be tight on all fittings - Jim Cline describes exactly how he thinks this should be done - for a particular engine - contact him directly.
As for fuel valves - I have some nifty slide types a friend made for me - but I still never use any of em -
My fear - borne from seeing the problem -is failure to seal perfectly and allow air to seep into the system when the carb is drawing.
This is seen as a slight bubbly or milky loofk to the fuel whilst the engine is running. It can be intermittant - so I simply use a Weatherhead (tm) solid brass Tee- (75 cents from hardware supplier) and tee from tank clunk pickup to carb.
I put a twig (actually a GP aluminum plug) in the fill tube - that's it -
Old 04-06-2004, 08:58 PM
Richard L.

Yes, sometimes a leak in the quick fueling valve can be hard to detect, especially when your fuel lines are hidden inside the cowl. You are flying, and the engine begins to sound a little on the lean side, so you land and compensate by richening up the high speed needle valve. Guess what? You are just bandaging the problem, not solving it.
Old 04-15-2004, 07:08 AM
crashland 73

I like those Robart super fueler 2's.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:21 PM
bldrums

I did not know what " dots " were for along time and I tried several named brand quick fill valves/ several of them twice. I continued to have problems that led to the fuel valve. Finally I read about piping 3 way using dots. That ended that problem / boom!

I highly recommend dots to eliminate the valve problem that you will have with valves sooner or later. ( my experience ) And the worst problem is that you wont know thats the problem right off. I hassled for several seasons replacing and trouble shooting ..........my 2 cents worth!!

And thanks to rcu and all the members who have been the key to supporting all flyers and making the hobby fun rather than a total try and fail *on your own, cause thats what happens without support.

Bill
Old 04-15-2004, 10:01 PM
FlyerBry
My Feedback: (8)

I have an FS .70 Four stroke that idles perfectly and runs very good all the way up through 2/3 trottle. At times full throttle is steady but it eventually stumbles. I put in a fresh plug and this improved the engine somewhat. The other night I just spent a few hours adjusting the valves and got it to run as good as I can but it still stumbles a bit at full throttle.

The engine is on a Great Plans Piper Cub which I bought already built. The plane happens to have a DuBro remote fueling valve on it and this thread has me thinking that maybe the valve is leaking air when the fuel flow is at its highest point. I will have to try connecting another fuel tank and running the engine again. Could the fuel valve be part of my problem? I bought the plane from the builders son who sold off all his father's equipment after his father passed away so I don't know how long the plane sat before I bought it. Maybe the rubber seal in the valve dried out too much in the mean time.

Anyone have a similar experience?
Old 04-15-2004, 10:29 PM
Richard L.

Quick fueling valve is one more thing to worry about. Why don't you take it out of the equation when trouble shooting?
Old 04-15-2004, 10:48 PM
serge1

ORIGINAL: Richard L.

Quick fueling valve is one more thing to worry about. Why don't you take it out of the equation when trouble shooting?

Amen to that!

Serge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.