Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Hobbico RTF Planes

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Hobbico RTF Planes

Old 04-23-2004, 09:24 AM
RedDawg303

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobbico RTF Planes

i want to know if the hobbico avistar and stuff are good planes. the only reason im considering a RTF is because they are so cheap and they fit my budget because im only 15. but im not sure about the idea of an RTF plane, do they have like 9 year old kids in taiwan assembling these things or what? i dont really want a trainer plane, i want one that i can enjoy as my skill progress. i would get a kit but it would cost to much to complete. if there are some other good that wouldnt cost much to complete please inform me. my tech ed teacher has planes and a trainer radio so he would be my trainer if i got a plane.
Old 04-23-2004, 09:37 AM
Jerry Sigur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hobbico RTF Planes

The Avistar is a great trainer plane, I think we have about 6 of them
being used in our club. The plane if fairly rugged and is a very good
flier.
Jerry
Old 04-23-2004, 11:45 AM
CrashBurn69
My Feedback: (1)

I really like my Avistar. It was the ARF version and it was put together pretty good. Depending on what it costs, you might want to look at the ARF and pick up a different engine and radio seperate. I am using the OS 46 AX in mine with an 11x5 prop, its a great combo. Easy to land, not too hard to handle in the air. And its not all that hard to assemble. Just some medium and thin CA glue, 30 minute epoxy and some screw drivers and a hobby knife with a few new blades, and you are all set. I'm not sure but the RTF might bolt the tail feathers together instead of epoxying. The Superstar 40 does on the RTF. But if you get an instructor you will have a lot of fun with this plane. It rolls pretty good. Fly's inverted pretty good, does nice loops and split S's well. And almost any basic acrobatic move you can think of. But if you get the RTF version, I'm sure they have done a decent job. And Hobbico service is excellent. If you have any problems they will take care of you.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:51 AM
flying_frog

Avistar is a great trainer plane. There are tons of threads here to confirm that. As your skill level progresses, you can modify the plane and convert it to a tail dragger, enlarge the control surfaces, etc to make it a little more challenging.

As for the construction of ARF's and RTF's, the majority are great. You will always have a couple slip through where you might have to secure the covering a little better or get rid of a few rinkles, but nothing major. Whatever you do, have an experienced pilot do a ground check before it flies, and also have a trained pilot take it on its maiden flight.

And at 15, start now, don't do what I did and wait til your 42. Have fun!!! Good luck!!! Better get a job now to pay for that fuel.
Old 04-23-2004, 12:19 PM
Parrotman

Concur with the other opinions on the Avistar. A great flyer, pretty rugged ( at least mine has been ) and will serve you well as you gain experience. In my own opinion, along with with the LT-40, PT-40, and maybe a couple others, an all-time RC classic trainer.
Old 04-23-2004, 05:24 PM
RedDawg303

That sounds great, thanks for the help guys, i will probably end up purchasing one and i have a trainer to teach me for free.
Old 04-24-2004, 10:52 AM
CRAZYRYAN
My Feedback: (1)

get the MKIII with a .91 four stroke engine from magnum it flies just super well!!! I posted a pic.[sm=thumbup.gif]I just love the sound of this four stroke it's my first one. and with this engine it takes off in less than 6ft if i wanted too!!! I paid 1100 bucks to get back into flying after a long time like about4yrs non flying.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:53 AM
flying_frog

I also have the Mark III and love it. It is easier too see than the Avistar. I have mine fitted with an OS .61 FX and it cuts through any wind. I was at the field the other day and an Avistar was trying to fly with some noisy .46 ....15 mph wind and the plane just hung...turned out to be a great Harrier manouver...too bafd the huy just wanted to fly across the field.
Old 04-26-2004, 08:53 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We must also have a half-dozen Avastar's at our field - in fact a couple of our instructors use'em as their personal fun flying planes.

Jerry
Old 05-08-2004, 09:11 PM
MNFLYER

Avistar(standard equipment) or Aircore trainer with .61 in it