Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Diablotin XL any information

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Diablotin XL any information

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2002, 03:02 PM
Falcon-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diablotin XL any information

wingspan99

Did you get to fly it again this weekend?
Old 08-12-2002, 03:20 PM
wingspan99
My Feedback: (2)

Default More flight info on XL

I got about 10 flights on my XL this weekend. The first flight was a 1000' vertical climb with an immediate engine flameout. The clunk in the tank was stuck in the forward and upright position from last week's crash. I fixed it and the BME ran fine. I must say this think floats like a glider with the engine out. I was 5 feet over the middle of the runway and realized it was going to go right past me. I slipped it a bit and managed to land it before the end of the runway and hit the high grass slow enough to avoid damage. With the engine at idle it lands like any trainer, maybe even steeper on the approach. It's a *****cat and is very relaxing to fly when there aren't any problems.
It needed more than the 2 degrees right thrust, so I increased it to 2.75 degrees which seemed much better in a hover, although it also needed more than the 1/2 degree upthrust I gave it. It torque rolls very slowly. It was a blast to fly pattern maneuvers with it, I think it is only going about 50mph at full throttle in level flight. I'm running a regular Zinger 22x8 at about 7000 rpm. I didn't tach it with this particular prop, but the Zinger Pro was turning 7100rpm and this prop is wider. I am burning quite a bit of fuel, about 14oz in 7-8 minutes. Is that normal?
On my last flight of the day, the screws that hold the stabilizer halves on the stabilizer tube came loose and one stabilizer half flipped up about 40 degrees. I made an uneventful landing with that stab half sticking up, believe it or not. If the other stab half had come loose that would have been the end of the plane.
Now what I'm going to do is drill a hole all the way through the stab and tube on each side, and put a 3mm bolt all the way through the stab half, utilizing the setscrew's nut on the bottom. The front stabilizer pins are only 3/16" long, I might lengthen them as well, although when I bolt the stab on like I want to, I may not have to lengthen them. I'm thinking of vibration mounting my BME, the vibration is something else from that thing. I'm concerned my J&B muffler will come apart though because the engine will not be isolated from that nice muffler.
I should say that I REALLY like the way it flies. I'm thinking of putting a larger fuel tank in it. The smoke system didn't work worth a darn, even with Bennett Smoke Fluid. The Perry Micro oscillating pump didn't put out enough volume at full throttle. Two tanks worth of gas only burned three ounces of smoke fluid. It did make some nice puffs at idle and high idle but I removed that pump and I'll probably get a TME. I get some aileron jitters when I first start up the BME, I think I will move the throttle servo back from the firewall, and move the smoke servo back also. The ignition switch is next to the receiver switch, that needs to be separated, although it's a PCM receiver so I think the problems are either the 6v RX battery pack or the ignition noise getting in somewhere after the receiver. I have the two battery packs laying on top of each other, that's going to change too. I want the CG further back than it is now, I have to push down a bit to fly inverted and that's ok but I know I can get a waterfall if I can get it back further. Well that's the truth about what happened yer honor. Can I go now? -Tom
Old 08-12-2002, 06:34 PM
Falcon-RCU

wingspan99

Sounds like it went better than the first time and it sounds like you like it a lot . Maybe you will get all the bugs out of it and just enjoy flying it. Did you try to do a harrier if so did it seem to be pretty stable?
Old 08-12-2002, 11:17 PM
BocaBen

My back tube protrudes 3" on each side and the front one 10.5"
Just went and measured them.
About my stab, I drilled and used the screws and covered the hole with yellow electric tape. As far as I know, the screws are still in there and I never had a problem.
Seems also that your BME is vibrating a lot, watch out for those loose balsa truss on the back, check them out after each flight for a while until you can rely on them (just my advise!).

Ben
Old 08-15-2002, 01:11 AM
Falcon-RCU

wingspan99 or BocaBen

The plans show no right thrust on the engine is that the way you did it? If you did not put right thrust in did it seen to need some?
Also have either of you tried to do a harrier. I hope it will do a stable harrier without to much wing walking.
Old 08-15-2002, 08:25 PM
wingspan99
My Feedback: (2)

Default Right thrust

I started with 2 degrees of right thrust, and I still had to hold a lot of right rudder in a hover and TR, so that was increased to 2.75 deg right, and it improved the hover. I cannot imagine trying to fly this plane with 0-0 thrust. I just don't get it. It's barely possible to torque roll it with 2 degrees, with 0 degrees it would be nearly impossible I think. I have added about 1 deg of upthrust as well. Perhaps placing my batteries and fuel tank higher in the fuselage would help reduce the need for upthrust. I haven't specifically done a harrier with the plane, but it is very stable at high angles of attack. I have a Pizzaz .40 size aerobat that falls off on one wing in the blink of an eye, literally. The Pizazz is going to get wing tip fences to help with that. The Diablotin is as stable as a Seniorita at high angles of attack.
Old 08-15-2002, 10:40 PM
Falcon-RCU

wingspan99

The plans showed 0 degrees both ways I haven't had an aerobatic plane that didn't need right thrust. The up or down thrust can be affected the way the plane was built or the CG.
Old 08-15-2002, 11:39 PM
BocaBen

I don't have anything on the engine, straight from the firewall. I've been flying it like that for a long time and it TR ok in my book. I'm not really thinking about where my sticks are when I do that, I'm dialing what's required to go where I want it to go.
I'm sure that Wingspan is right though and adjusting the engine would make life easier, I'll do it next time the cowling is off.

Falcon, it seems like you're really into harrier!! ;>)
From my experience with mine, the harrier isn't as 'pretty' as with my H9 Extra. I mean that the nose up angle is less and it doesn't look like true 3D, but more like very slow flying since relatively flat. Trying to keep it nose up at 45 like the Extra is a fight because the balance point between throttle and elevator is thinner. With the Extra, you quickly have a feel on what's required and even if you're off a bit on the throttle or elevator, it still looks good. With the Diablotin, the right throttle is critical. Don't know why, maybe the thick profile or the very lightweight
Old 08-16-2002, 12:23 AM
Falcon-RCU

BocaBen

I was hopeing it would harrier good but the main reason for wanting to know is the guy I fly with all the time wants one if it will. I have just got started on mine. The parts list shows the rear wing tube is 280mm long and the hor. stab. tube 320mm long. The plans show the wing tube longer than the stab. tube. I would say the wing tube should be longer. I am kind of worried about the front pin that keys the hor. stab. as its only about 1/8" long.
Old 08-18-2002, 01:36 PM
Falcon-RCU

I was able to pull the front pin out of the hor. stab. so I will replace it with a longer one.
Old 08-22-2002, 07:57 PM
Falcon-RCU

BocaBen

Did you get to try some right thrust? I am going to put about 2 degrees to start with. Sounds like it harriers about like a profile.
Old 08-23-2002, 01:08 AM
BocaBen

Nope, not yet, I first have to fix it.
Did some minor wing damage when the wing touched first in a too tight and too slow landing turn.
The garage is too warm now here in Florida, and I have many other toys to play with. It's on the table tough!
Old 10-27-2002, 08:13 PM
JLS
My Feedback: (19)

Default Dioblotin XL and FPE 2.4

How does the FPE 2.4 compare to the zdz 40. I have a FPE 2.4 and am considering a Diblotin Xl.
Thanks
Old 09-12-2013, 07:47 AM
paof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,i try to sccracht this plane from plans and se in your picture the stab have airfoil, and the plans i have no. This ARF is new?
thanks very much.

paof