Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

r/c flying sunglasses

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

r/c flying sunglasses

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 10:01 PM
qcrcbill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default r/c flying sunglasses

Can anyone recommend a brand of quality polarized flying glasses? My WalMart cheapos don't make it! Also, what's a good brand of "fuel dot" Thanks again. Bill
Old 05-17-2004, 10:21 PM
TXFLYR

Default RE: r/c flying sunglasses

ZURICH ,they're worth the money , look in the AMA magazine for more details. I have had mine now for 2 years , still love them as much as day 1 . When i went to Joe Nall this weekend alot of flyers and non flyers were wearing them and buying them. There is a HUGE difference bettween them and Walmarts same look alike type. PLus if you wear glassess they will fit over them . My glasses are the Rose color lenses.

david
Old 05-17-2004, 10:24 PM
qcrcbill

Thanks for the Zurich info, how much are they? and do they come in smoke/dark tinted? Website? info much appreciated. Bill
Old 05-17-2004, 10:28 PM
TXFLYR

www.zurichsunglasses.com
Old 05-18-2004, 07:36 AM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

I bought my first set of Zurich Sun Glasses way back in 1994 and have used them year around. I went through three sets of bows and Zurich replaced the first two sets free. The sun glasses have paid for them selves more than once. I have the silver tint medium smoke type.
NEDYOB
Old 05-18-2004, 07:40 AM
Yak18
My Feedback: (11)

I bought my Zurichs for flying only because they're not too stylish. After wearing them all day at the field, I put on my "cool" Oakleys and found that I didn't like the Oakeys anymore. Now I wear my Zurichs everywhere, all the time and don't even remember where my Oakleys are. I'd rather be comfortable than stylish I guess. They are not cheap but niether are your eyes. Buy them!

Yak
Old 05-18-2004, 08:24 AM
Parrotman

Couldn`t agree more regarding Zurichs. Have two pair( rose and grey ). Can fly right through the sun no problem, especially with the greys. Get them. Your eyes will thank you.
Old 05-23-2004, 11:11 AM
model pilot 14

I have trouble seeing very distant objects. I need something that I would be able to put over my glasses. I noticed that there are all kinds of zurich glasses. what would suggest. Most of the time I just need to reduce the brightness of the sky it is cloudy a lot but bright. and in the summer the sun shines all day long

thanks Nick
Old 05-23-2004, 06:04 PM
parkavenue
My Feedback: (262)

I use Zurich gradient lenses silver. They are also suitable for OTG (over the glasses) use. See the website for specific fit measurements.
Old 05-23-2004, 06:06 PM
parkavenue
My Feedback: (262)

Oops, forgot to mention - they are also ANSI Z87 safety rated. Hopefully when your prop shatters, flying parts won't wipe out your eyes.
Old 05-23-2004, 10:41 PM
RCAddiction
My Feedback: (87)

I have the Zurich sunglasses, and they are effective, but as people say, they are also damned unattractive. The appearance may not matter to many, since they are relatively inexpensive compared to real sunglasses and money can be a real challenge for some folks. For me, they are also quite uncomfortable when wearing my prescription glasses underneath. I don't like the feeling of 2 pairs of glasses pressing over my ears and on my nose. I have also owned and used prescription Bolle, Raybans, etc which fit great, have great visibility, but don't protect the sides of my eyes so well. I also would need different pairs for different sky conditions.

I have recently purchased the NYX sunglasses from piedmontmodels.com and I really like them. They wrap enough around the sides of my eyes to keep wind from making my eyes tear. They come with a nice carry pouch and 3 interchangeable wraparound lenses: rose (for cloudy skies), brown (normal sunny day), and deep black with mirror finish (for direct sun in your face). At the Arseneau Invitational yesterday, Andy Jesky was wearing the same ones as me, with rose tint to cope with the horrible sky conditions we had. He flew great and came in 3rd, I believe.

The best part for eyeglass wearers is the NYX glasses include a coupon to send in to Sved Optics in California, to have polycarbonate prescription inserts made for it. The inserts snap into the rubber bridge nosepiece. For prescription eyeglass wearers, I honestly believe that this is the best option. But the total, including prescription insert is over $200.

Needless to say, the Zurich's are only going with me to the field as spares for buddies or family members who may have forgotten their sunglasses.