Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Seagull Decathlon!!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Seagull Decathlon!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 08:34 AM
ReKlein

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Seagull Decathlon!!

Diablo

I can send them via email, I dont have any way to post them.

ReKlein
Old 06-15-2004, 11:08 AM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ReKlein, hit the REPLY tab and then once you are in the new REPLY window you will see a link that sais Upload. try that

matt
Old 06-15-2004, 11:44 AM
ReKlein

Here is the pics of the SD
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82461.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	143545   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb90619.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	143546  
Old 06-15-2004, 11:53 AM
ReKlein

Here is the seagull Space WalkerII without cowl and wheel pants. I haven't taken any recent pics. I really love this plane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13299.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	143550   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc91995.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	143551  
Old 06-15-2004, 12:02 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ReKlein

Here is the pics of the SD

She is a beut!! I will have to wait a few weeks now to get it. I decided to thin the fleet before I take on a few more planes but this is def on the list for a sunday lazy day flier. I have servos and and engine waiting for it. Hard to believe its only $139!!

matt
Old 06-15-2004, 04:34 PM
gerryk

Just bought the Decathlon during my lunch hour today. Plan on putting a Saito .72 in her.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:29 PM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

Well she has been done for a little while. Wow she is a little on the large side. I like the Pitts muffler setup. I already cut my cowl and have a .46 thundertigre in it. I replaced the glow plug within the first day. With the 6 servo setup and my Futaba 6EXA there is the posibility of some nifty servo mixing. For now I just have the standard servo setup using a Y harness for the aielorons. If anyone has experimented with the Flaperon feature let me know. I had to adjust the elevator throws ever slightly at first. Although both elevator servos had the same throw, one seemed to be just a few degress weaker in either direction. I would have given the two elevator servos seperate channels ( I also used a Y harness for the elevators) but found that the instructions for programming the servo mixing did not allow the slave servo the full range of motion in the opposite direction. Maybe that was just my mistake.

In any even I have only been able to ground taxi and get the engine and throws set. I plan to make the maiden flight anytime this week since I am on vacation. I had an obvious delay in getting out flying due to my vacation down in Ft. Lauderdale. Normaly the beach is awesome. Rain tends to ruin perfectly good vacation time, but fortunately Bob (the sun) did come out to play. I am once again hearing some mixed opinions on the .46 engine issue. Guess I will find out tommorow. Hopefully get in the maiden flight. If anyone flies out at Gold Coast or anywhere in south FL. Let me know. Just seems hard to get in some of these clubs when you are just a visitor like myself. I did a lot of my flying just in the huge open areas of Ft. Bragg. The drop zones and huge open training areas are fun...albeit a little risky as pesky MP's can spoil good old flying fun.

I will post some pictures of the Decathlon tommorow.

SGT. Manny
Old 06-18-2004, 05:42 AM
Lancair-RCU

Just bit the bullet and ordered a YS63S for mine from Central Hobbies for $239 USD Probably will be a tad too much for this model but hey, I may only get to buy one fourstroke in the near future so I figured I may as well make it a good one. I may even relce the OS50SX in my CAP with the YS and put the 50 in the Decathlon ?
Old 06-20-2004, 05:44 AM
SENZA

Hey guys

dont mean to just bud in but can any one help me out here im trying to find a vender who sells the seagull stearman,seagull lists it on there web site but i cant find a distributor who stocks it . I own there extra 300s and im very impressed its my favorite flyer at the moment and it is well constructed .
Old 06-21-2004, 10:30 AM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

Well I took her out for a few flights. The guys at Gold Coast R/C Club of Boca Raton, FL really helped me along with getting the throws down and getting it all tuned up. I recommend maybe even a little less throw on all surfaces then what the manual suggests for the first flights. Once you get used to it though, switch on over to the dual rate and have a blast. I had to switch over to an 11 x 6 prop to help it along a little better. The .46 seems to power it just fine. This is my opinion and also the opinion of other club members with many years of experience. The first day the winds were shifting and I had to land 3 times in a crosswind. Of course I do that just fine, but when the winds were calm the next day on my first landing I managed to mess it up. Didnt damage it at all, and the second landing was just fine. If you are going to be using a grass field, I would also recommend changing out the wheels that come with the kit. The wheels and the wheel pants do too well of a job getting caught in the grass. For the price I dont think this thing can be beat. I would be moving on to a few other models, but sarge bought himself a new aircraft carrier. I had to trade in my little two door Acura 3.2 Cl type S for the larger Lexus RX. So for now I will get my use out of my decathlon. Think my next model will be the Hangar 9 Funtana.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:33 PM
wings

Where do I find the LATEST Seagull planes. I have the space walker II and I like it. I trashed my 4 * for the final time this weekend and looking for a relatively cheap, good quality plane such as the space walker.

That decathlon looks great! Do they have any other newly released models?

Wings
Old 06-28-2004, 10:34 AM
ReKlein

Try this one

http://www.*********.org/seagull.htm

ReKlein
Old 06-28-2004, 11:51 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Horizon is distributing the Seagull Models, check their site:

http://horizon.hobbyshopnow.com/prod...age=SEA&tag=nb
Old 08-10-2004, 11:20 AM
Rayvyn
My Feedback: (1)

I finally got my Seagull Decathlon up last weekend and I figured I would pass along a few tid bits... First and foremost I used the OS 50SX engine and a 12x6 K series (4 stroke) prop... I was running at about 11k for rpms... It had lots of power for both getting out of trouble and short take offs... That said however, from where I am sitting, it is really just a very capable cub... With the short wings it certainly rolls much better than any cub and with high rates will snap with no problem at all... On the down side it does suffer some of the problems of the cubs in that it is at the mercy of the wind beyond your everyday RC plane... Yawing can be bad with the flat sided fuselage in a decent cross wind at slower speeds and gust will toss it around a bit but other than that, it seems very capable... It stalled nose over only on me so no tip stall tendencies what so ever from mine... With higher speeds in general it will stay out of much more trouble so at altitude keep it up... Landings were no problem and it is a good thing too... After 6 tank fulls of fuel on the ground and then 3 flights the motor is still not broken in and therefore tends not to want to idle... Mine landed 2 or the 3 flights dead stick...

Problems in my opinion are few... This was a strait forward and relatively simple ARF to complete... Two areas that need to be addressed are the cowl and the entire pushrod system... First off the pushrods control 3 tail surfaces... Rudder and 2 elevators (right and left split)... That is not the way to do it if you ask me... Controlling the split elevator is something that can not be left to the eye... I suggest an electronic synchronizing device of some kind to trim out and control these surfaces... Not sure what they are called but I know Futaba makes one... Next is the cowl... Mounting it is a real pain because it is really left to one measurement (112mm prop washer to firewall) and your eye... That stinks and while the manual refers to some measuring and marking done earlier in the manual, it is simply not there... In addition, the cooling holes up front just ain't gonna be enough... These should probably be doubled in size as well as some effective exits at the other end of the cowling...

All in all it is great plane for a cub nut that is looking for something beyond the back and forth flying and slow rolls... If you are not ready to move to this level of ability it will certainly let you know early on... It is snappy to say the least and with the close in tail distance, very capable of most basic aerobatics... I will not be keeping mine because I am more of a scale birder looking for a bit more grace and a bit less snap but I am sure there are lots of people out there that would love a super snappy scale looker that is strong enough to take some rough stuff...
Old 08-10-2004, 11:24 AM
Rayvyn

P.S. The stock tank has gotta go and the wheel pants should be reinforced as well... I laid some epoxy in mine on the mounting side and it stiffened them up nicely... I used a Sullivan 11 oz tank because my stock seagull tank leaked and it could not be stopped...
Old 08-10-2004, 06:20 PM
LANNYBOB

i dont need another plane, but by looking and reading about the decathlon its going to be my winter project for 2004 thats for sure.
the future of model planes is here and seagull models is leading the way along with evolution engines.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:28 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't usually discuss planes that I am currently reviewing, but I will say a few things about the Decathlon.

For the review, I used an OS 70 surpass. After the review plane was built, I got a short maiden flight on a windy day. I kept the flight short, not because of wind, but due to another commitment I had that evening. While it WAS pretty windy, I thought the Decathlon handled it pretty well.

Usually, once a review plane has been maidened, I will make any needed corrections, and shoot the video flight. But I was invited to a Fun Fly this past weekend, and as things turned out, the Decathlon was the only thing I had ready - So I brought it out for a simple day of flying. No video camera, no nothing, just a day to go out and have some fun.

I gotta say, I had a LOT of fun! This is not a 3D plane, and it's not a Turn and Burn Show Stopper.

What it is, is a very good little Decathlon. If you like Decathlons, Clipped Wing Cubs, Etc, You'll love this little thing (Don't be surprised if I use those exact words in the review!)
Old 08-15-2004, 06:33 PM
CHassan
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have aSaito 90TS (twin cylinder) 4stroke. I'm looking for a Citabri or Decathlon, Do you guys think this would work or might I need a tad larger plane?
Old 11-20-2004, 06:05 PM
Tram
My Feedback: (6)

How do you guys think a .61 FX would do in this bird?

I've got one sitting on the table and I'm thinking I might as well go ahead and use it.. Any thoughts?
Old 11-20-2004, 10:31 PM
Rayvyn

Great power, questionable cooling... Vent it well and run it rich and it might be perfect...