Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

My Hangar-9 T-34 Mentor

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

My Hangar-9 T-34 Mentor

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 02:58 AM
pauluk2w
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: My Hangar-9 T-34 Mentor

i have just ordered a top flite T-34 Mentor kit and should get it sometime next week just a little bit bigger than the hanger 9 ARF with a wing span of 80" never built a kit before so i hope it looks as good as yours when its finished. also i hope the T-34 will make a good second plane
Old 07-31-2004, 10:14 AM
Novato
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks pauluk2w, the TF T-34 is a really nice plane, more scale like than H9, the reason I got it was because I liked the color scheme and because it's an ARF, I'm not into kits; but believe me that I did a lot of research before I decided with T-34 to buy.

So far I don't have no regrets about H9's Mentor.

Happy building and flying.

Mauricio
Old 08-02-2004, 08:46 AM
Novato

Monday again.... still five days for flying time.

Anyway I flew the Mentor for the first time yesterday, it was a great day (weather wise), perfect conditions at the beach (well a little bit to hot), after missing flying last week because I was out of town, I flew my Nexstar a couple of times before I tried the Mentor, I flew her rather fast to try to get a feel but she just refuses to do it (LOL) anyway when I got my touch back, I was ready for the Mentor, I cranked the engine on and did some transinting in order to check the gear as in her first try two weeks ago the wheel collars came loose and the main wheel came loose and turned in and out, but this time they stayed in place, no problems there.

Pointed her nose to the runway and started the roll, slow at first and picking up speed progressively until full throttle was achieved, she ran for about 60 feet and with a slight elevator pull she was airborne, SWEET; after she had enough altitude, I started to roll left, I know I'm supposed to usse rudder, but I didn't know how she was goin to react so I used ailerons instead, she flyes pretty, I called her Ms. Shirley (in honor of my wife who bought her for me), as a completed a full circle and as she passed us by I retracted the gear everybody said WOW (she's the first plane to have retracts here in our town) and as soon as the gear was up, there was a significant difference in her fly, more sharp, more responsive an accurate, that Magnum XLS .46 works perfectly it brings a lot of power, going at 1/2 throttle is more than enough, I now can see and feel the diference between a high wing trainer and this low wing aircraft.

I stayed airboner for about 10 - 12 laps, in the final 4 laps I started to simulate approaches (two with gears up, and the last two with gear down) everytime a little lower than the previous one, on my next to last pass I did it about 10 feet of the ground (a really nice sight), ok approach; I slowed down to 1/3 throttle and as soon it was about 1 feet above the ground a idled for touchdown but as I tried to flair, I pull elevator a litte but too much, so it got a little bit of altitude so I had to nose down a little bit, and upon touchdown it hoped once and settled smothly and finished running in about 40 - 50 feet.

Everybody was right about the H9 T-34 Mentor, flies great, flies fast, very responsive, very sporty, and she lands hot, flaps would be great but not a necesity.

I only flew her once, (don't want to push my luck), then I went back to my nexstar for some fun flying, we had some expectators watching us today and the Mentor was the big attraction.

Yesterday we had a few aircrafts yesterday; 4 helicopters, 1 Lanier Shrike, 1 GP Venus .40, 2 Mustangs .40, 1 Superstar, 1 Nexstar and 1 T-34 Mentor, we had some regular participants missing yesterday either by work or vacations.

unfortunately I forgot to take my camera as I was so in a rush to go fly after 1 week hiatus.

A friend took some pictures but I haven't seen them or if they are any good, whenever he sends them to me, I'll post them.

Best regards from SUNNY southern Mexico;

Mauricio Alayola
Old 08-11-2004, 04:34 PM
Novato

here are some pics of my flying buddies
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61397.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	162849  
Old 08-11-2004, 04:36 PM
Novato

here are some more

Name:	Jh14489.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	162850   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97212.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	162851   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16109.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	162852  
Old 10-15-2004, 02:24 AM
jrotor
My Feedback: (5)

I'm thinking about using Magnum XL 91 4 stroke in T-34. The engine is only 2 oz heavier than OS surpass 70.
Do you think it'd be ok ? and anything I should watch out or any advice ?
Thanks.
Old 10-15-2004, 03:04 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say ... why bother, its not made for super speed or 3D also you will have to re fit the engine mounts, all that for?
Old 04-25-2007, 10:02 PM
travis1

Default RE: My Hangar-9 T-34 Mentor - Installing the engine

HOW DID U CUT OUT THE COWL? i just got a t-34 and i dont know where to start
Old 04-26-2007, 09:54 AM
Novato

Travis1, it's real simple, mount the engine (without cowl) then get a long piece of thin cardboard and tape it to the side of the fuse (engine side) about 2.5 inches behind the firewall line, then set it on top of the engine and with a sharpie or pen draw the contour of the engine's head, afterwards cut the inner part (without removing the cardboard piece from the fuse) and set again on the engine, this time the engine's head should come out through the hole in the piece of cardboard, it you have enough clearance then your set.

if you have a 2 stroker, then make sure that the piece of cardboard is wide enough to cover the engine and the muffer, repeat the process with the muffler. if its a 4 stroker the process described above will sufice.

without removing the cardboard, remove the engine (make sure you have the correct distance from the firewall to the engines shaft backplate (the propeller's stop), and then set the cowl in place (remember to measure with a tape the distance from the firewall and set the cowl at the correct distance and secure it with tape, extende the cardboard over the side of the cowl and draw the patterns on the cardboard onto the cowl (engine head and muffler, {if a 2 stroker}) and remove cowl and cardboard template.

using a dremmer tool cut inside the lines you draw (carefully). place the engine and mufller in place and set the cowl in place. use the dremmel until you like the fit.

I bought an extra cowl, first engine was a Magnum .46 and then I installed a Magnum .70 4C. on this last setup I used a 3 blade prop, MA 12 x 8 and it flew real scale like, real nice. (I sold it a month ago after 3 years of service as I moved to gassers)

hope this helped.

Mauricio.

PS you are going to love this bird (retracts changes everything), but beware of the hot landings, it needs a little speed on landings, usually this bird comes out on the heavy side, check the CG real well

Name:	Ki19121.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	672590   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95510.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	672591