Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

AVOID THESE ARF's AT ALL COST!!!!!!!!!!!!

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

AVOID THESE ARF's AT ALL COST!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-23-2006, 08:47 AM
mobyal

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: AVOID THESE ARF's AT ALL COST!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Phil --
I'm using a Saito 120 and once I get it put together I'm sure it'll fly great. As I said in my earlier post, all the basic stuff is good but the hardware and engineering are awful, IMHO.
Happy flying.
Al

ORIGINAL: Phil Heller

mobyal,

I put a World Cub together a few years ago, still have it, still flies great! I am using a Saito 130Twin and am very pleased with the performance. I did replace the hardware (as I do with most ARF's) but the basic structure was sound and all went together very well. I hope yours flies as well.

http://www.quiknet.com/~pheller Check it out!

Phil
Old 10-23-2006, 08:51 AM
mobyal

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's good advice, Adam. I too have had really good luck w/ Hanger 9 and Great Planes ARFs. Kits and components are great, and any problems have been taken care of immediately by their customer service people, no questions asked, after a single telephone call.
Al

ORIGINAL: Adam G

I have to say that I have not had a bad experience with an ARF yet. There have been isolated things that needed to be tweaked. I have had to replace some weak control rods, strengthen weak structural points, reinforce firewalls, fuel proof engine compartments, etc. I think this is normal for the discriminating modeler. I am just glad that they offer a nice ARF for $200 so I don't have to spend 100's of hours building. I build one kit per winter, take my time, and enjoy it. I build ARF's the rest of the year.

I think the reason I have had good experiences with ARF's is because I stick with the major brands like Carl Goldberg, Great Planes, and Hanger 9. If you want to get a good ARF cheap, try Hanger 9. I have a .40 and 60 sized Twist that cost $89 and $139, and they are awesome. They went together in about 5 hours, the hardware was really nice right down to the wheels and gas tank, and they are a very sturdy and good flying plane. The goldberg and great planes kit's get a little more pricey, but they are very nice as well.

Don't get me wrong, I have been tempted to buy one of the .60 sized chinese warbirds for $80. I just can't see risking it when I can pick up a Hanger 9 for $209 and get a very nice plane with decent mechanical retracts and a good hardware kit. If there are missing or damaged parts, their customer service will have them to me in a couple of days. I know the quality of the balsa and the build will be decent, and I can reinforce any problem areas I notice. i am planning a Top Flight Gold Edition warbird build with pneumatic retracts for this winter.

So my answer to the question this thread asked is avoid any ARF that is not made by a known and respected company with customer service and parts in the US. Don't be tempted to buy the super cheap direct ship stuff because the $100 dollars you save now, you will spend later in hardware and gas getting to and from the hobby shop.

Adam
Old 10-23-2006, 09:26 AM
captinjohn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have not time to read this entire thread....how does the Giles 202 from GIANT SCALE PLANES fit in this good bad or what catagory? Thanks Capt,n
Old 10-25-2006, 05:02 AM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: captinjohn

I have not time to read this entire thread....how does the Giles 202 from GIANT SCALE PLANES fit in this good bad or what catagory? Thanks Capt,n

Stay away from GSP Giles 202, It's a CMP kit. You are much better off getting something from Great Planes, Goldberg, Sig or Hanger 9. You will be able to use the hardware, and the covering will be much better. Plus you get better written instructions. Many CMP's don't have the directions, and if they do they are very vague.

Peter Dowling aka Luftwaffe Oberst
AMA District II # 865404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY

Old 10-25-2006, 07:37 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bi-planefever

I can't seem to find your list of ARF's to avoid, but I would like to know about a particular one. I am interested in purchasing a Giant Scale Planes 96" Cap, but I hesitate because of an experiance I had with a 40 size cap. It wasn't a real good ARF, and it did a perfect SNAP when you applied full up elevator. Now I was down the club field Saturday and a member had the Great Planes Cap with the splat markings on it and without suprise his did the same thing. I recognized it right away, and told him to lower his controls but when he flew it the second time, he got it into the same thing, and every time he tried to give it up elevator, it would stall and snap. Needless to say it went in again! But he had an angle on his sholder that day, because all he broke was his prop. I just want to know if anyone out there has build and flown one of them, and how did the handle?
Would appreciate any help.
Gary

-------------

Aerobatic airplanes are designed to be unstable. Otherwise, they wouldn't be aerobatic. <G>

I've seen a 3-channel (rudder, elevator, motor) that would snap on full up elevator inputs. What a surprise that was.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:45 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: LuftwaffeOberst

Stay away from GSP Giles 202, It's a CMP kit. You are much better off getting something from Great Planes, Goldberg, Sig or Hanger 9. You will be able to use the hardware, and the covering will be much better. Plus you get better written instructions. Many CMP's don't have the directions, and if they do they are very vague.

Peter Dowling aka Luftwaffe Oberst
AMA District II # 865404
Aero Modelers Club
Pulaski, NY

------------

I like CMP kits. Why? Because they are easy to modify and they are inexpensive.

Are they good ARFs? It depends upon your approach to modeling. If you want something that will fall together when you open the box and shake it, you might want to look at the more expensive ARFs from Hanger9 and GP, just to name a few. If you want to do things your way, the CMP kits are excellent for bashing. I don't feel so bad when I tear out CMP's work and replace it with my own. I feel bad when I do the same thing to a more expensive ARF over a minor point of contention.

Being an OF, I am amazed at how far ARFs have come over the years. Pardon me. I have a Funtana X100 awaiting my attention. <G>

Old 10-31-2006, 12:59 PM
alfredbmor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Lanier Fun Fly 40 size.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:37 PM
adrenalnjunky
My Feedback: (18)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Others can say what they want against CMP - but I notice that they also didn't attempt to answer your question, probably because they don't have any direct experience with the kits you asked about.... I'll try to actually answer your question.

I own the big 72" (green/red/white) CMP giles, and one of my flying buddies owns the smaller blue .50 sized CMP giles.

Other than having to adjust the thrust line on the engine my big Giles is a good flying bird - I did use all of my own hardware - but I do that on all of my big planes - the stock pushrods would have probably worked fine - but I build my bigger planes the way I want them. I have a 26CC Brillelli gasser on it, and while I enjoy the ease of gas, I think a lighter engine like the OS 1.60FX, or a Saito 150/180 would be better suited. Covering is cheap, but staying down with a little care. Fiberglass parts are good quality and the paint is very good.

My buddy with the $100 .50 size enjoys it as well - it's not 3D plane, but is a very point and shoot kinda performer, which is really what a Giles-202 should be. I've flown it, and have to say I have flown worse-handling planes from better-known manufacturers.

Yes - CMP planes do have weaknesses - and some models might be downright terrible - but the 2 giles I have seen from them are pretty decent offerings for the money.

Old 11-20-2006, 03:10 PM
tstob64

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Has anyone got a link or copy of the assembly manual for a TT Sport 40L ARF? I picked up a kit from a fellow member of our club but the manual was missing.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:37 AM
davemooney

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sportsman Aviation 30 size ST Ryan looked good ,flew well ,but the wing lacked sheeting and I was sure it was about to fold up at any moment and the spars actually broke a couple of times.
Dave.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:43 PM
Profiled

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The H-9 Extra 260 and 27% Cap 232-G are designed by the same person. I built both of them for friends. I also do the prebuild check and the design are totally diffeerant.Makes me wonder... Parts fit and quality are excellent on the cap.Two extras were built and the stab tube fit very loose in the fuse and stab.I also have the C G sukoi, look like it was made in the H-9 factory. Believe it or not but the manual tells you to check the high stress areas and to add glue if think it is necessary !!!
Old 09-21-2007, 10:49 PM
kwjames

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Seagull Harmon Rocket. I renamed the Harmon Rock. Came in 1.5 pounds over listed weight in part because it has 3 sevos in the rear of plane ( not needed on such a small plane. Had to mod horizonal stabs or would brake in mid-air. Landing gear so weak would pancake with a glass landing in part because too heavy.. Had to beef up and add blind nuts and bolts to wheel panks to keep them on. On take off you really had to ease it up, too much elevator and it is snap time baby. One nice looking plane though, got all kinds of comments. Would make a good hanger queen. Mine, I am pulling the gear out of, after the last snap (damage was minor). Would not fly again or sell to anyone. I am going to burn and post pictures on the Harmon Rocket thread.
Ken
Old 09-22-2007, 12:19 PM
CoytAW

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

got an 80$ plane to start with from bananahobby.com. i think its from some super-offbrand company called guanli. anyways its a foam spitfire and i think the only good thing i can say about it is that you get a movable 4ch radio and some so-so hardware. the instructions were &!$%. here is a quote from the last sentence: "the assembly of your F4U is now complete! then adjusting to try fly!" note that i said it was a spitfire. or the parts list header: In the airplane nothing and the parts and the name and the amount. i kept the instructions but didnt use em. builtr it my own way and it flew like something out of a bad dream. in other words, everywhere but straight.
Old 09-29-2007, 02:50 AM
GeeBeeMan21
My Feedback: (110)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My worst ARF was from Hanger 9. I bought there 1/3 scale extra right after it came out. I had a 3w80 twin and all JR 2721 servos. I had about 5 flights on it. I kept getting tail flutter. At that time, I lived in Indiana and took it to Horizon to have them check it out. Their customer service team looked it over, did some minor adjusting and sent me on my way. 6 more flights into it on take off climb out out the tail fluttered and broke off in front of the stab. It went down in the corn field. I drove another 3 hours back to horizon and was very displeased. They looked it over and said it was cause I glued the tail on instead of leaving it removable and I knew that was a line of ^%&^. I was going off and they offered me the new 1/3 scale cap. They didnt fix my motor or my servos for free though. I took the Cap and sold it. I really think H9's research and development is their customers. I see so many of their items have problems. I will never spend that kind of money on anything H9 produces.

The pictures are old, so they are not by any new digital camera, but you can see the damage. I was not a happy camper. I am sure its like anything, there are good and bad ones. I was just not happy with the way H9 backed their product.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22584.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	772469   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69545.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	772470   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nt46060.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	772471  
Old 09-29-2007, 10:01 AM
Yak18
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Has anybody noticed that since Hobbico/Tower/Great Planes aquired Lanier, Tower is now dumping these Lanier ARFs at hundreds less than they used to sell them? Looks like it's out with the old and in with the new.

Yak

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0872p?&L=LS
Old 09-29-2007, 04:11 PM
IAMKAOS

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i agree. i read a lot of post's people praising horizon and their h9 and other products. not me!!! i had two bad experience's with horizon and one was a h9 product and their customer service.... i also had a similar experience with horizon a few years ago but this experience was with a new electric combo they were "over" advertising and selling. the model simply would not fly. it was greatly underpowered, wrong motor, battery pack and wrong esc. i was on the phone with them several times. i told the customer service tech to take one out of the box and and try and fly it himself and then get back to me. ......by gosh! he DID!!!!!!........he called me back two days later and offered to send me a more powerful motor,better battery and esc........"if"....i returned the flight system that came with the combo.............and pay half price for the new flight system!!!!!! which would have been a extra $65.00..........no thanks ................a very short time after that they quit advertising that combo. i have not purchased anything from them since.
Old 09-30-2007, 12:11 AM
NoOneFlysAtMyClub
My Feedback: (32)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am what is now old school. I am 52 years old. Twenty years ago, and today if you are still a builder like me, if you wanted a specific plane, you bought the kit, $45.00-$300.00 or much more, depending on the model, you spent many many hours building this kit. You then decided on your colors and layout for trimming. Spent many, many, more hours covering your kit built plane. Do you even know how many hours you might have in this kit? Now stop for a minute and think how many hours of labor, how much material, packing and shipping costs are built into each ARF plane that so many of you complain about. These planes are the best buy in the world, regardless of quality. You are now buying a ARF for less than the cost of a kit, and you did not have to build or cover it!!!!!

HOW CAN YOU COMPLAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't get it
Old 09-30-2007, 07:28 AM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: roadtripessentials

These planes are the best buy in the world, regardless of quality.

HOW CAN YOU COMPLAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't get it
Some Planes are better buys than others, and some ARF's are better built and fly better than others. This thread is not about complaining. Its about weeding out the ARF's that are not that good of a buy when stacked up against others. This thread has nothing to do with kit vs ARF. This thread is ARF vs other ARFs. Hope my explanation helps.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:14 AM
hosam
My Feedback: (121)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yak18, I have been watching tower trying to move the Lanier crap fro a while with no luck. Bottom line is Lanier planes are Junk, owned a few and now that they are gone, good riden... Tower is gonna have to really drop the prices to move them, keep watching...

Cheers
Hosam
Old 09-30-2007, 09:02 AM
ckangaroo70

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: hosam

Bottom line is Lanier planes are Junk.

Cheers
Hosam
Could you please go into a bit more detail? Don't want this to turn into a manufacturer bashing thread. So if you could comment on the specific Lanier Planes you owned and why you think they are junk would sure help. I have never owned a Lanier Plane and would hate to lump them all together as "ARFs to Avoid at all cost" if there are some good ones among them. Thanks
Old 10-01-2007, 02:35 PM
Yak18
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: hosam

Yak18, I have been watching tower trying to move the Lanier crap fro a while with no luck. Bottom line is Lanier planes are Junk, owned a few and now that they are gone, good riden... Tower is gonna have to really drop the prices to move them, keep watching...

Cheers
Hosam
Yeah, I'm waiting for them to drop the price on the Husky to $119.99 with a $25.00 rebate and then I STILL won't buy it...what a POS. [:'(]

Yak
Old 10-01-2007, 03:44 PM
jmohn

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The CMP kits can be a problem since they often use bad glue that dries and gets too brittle. Still, they are good planes for the $ and I have had good times flying them. My 3 Cee Bees Nieuport 17 has been my biggest problem as the wheel rubber keeps coming off the rims. I have tried everything to keep them on, epoxy, different glues even pins & screws. I finally ended up buying some new Dubro wheels after they came off again causing some minor damage on landing. What a pain!
Old 10-01-2007, 06:27 PM
ckangaroo70

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Yak18

Yeah, I'm waiting for them to drop the price on the Husky to $119.99 with a $25.00 rebate and then I STILL won't buy it...what a POS. [:'(]

Yak
Cmon! How about telling us how you really feel?LOL
Old 10-01-2007, 06:39 PM
rc-plane

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A guy at my club and me both have harmon rockets and love the way it flies. The only problem I had was the LG was week but I could live with that. Its a great plane and looks really good. They dont make them anymore but just wanted to ad that in.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:48 PM
ckangaroo70

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rc-plane

A guy at my club and me both have harmon rockets and love the way it flies. The only problem I had was the LG was week but I could live with that. Its a great plane and looks really good. They dont make them anymore but just wanted to ad that in.
It appears Horizon is still selling them. They show they are on back order, but not discontinued. I just sold mt Harmon Rocket a few months ago, and aside from the soft gear I thought it was a pretty well built ARF. I did think the extra servo in the tail was a bit overkill for a 40 size Plane, but mine was a good flyer and I enjoyed it the time I had it. The photo below shows mine, but the stock gear was changed out for a better set.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53447.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	774441  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.