Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

AVOID THESE ARF's AT ALL COST!!!!!!!!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

AVOID THESE ARF's AT ALL COST!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 11:01 AM
wessman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: AVOID THESE ARF's AT ALL COST!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thunder Tiger 3D Spirit - that´s the Sh*t!

Br, Peter
Old 09-29-2004, 09:35 PM
CRAZYRYAN
My Feedback: (1)

speaking of lemons my last name happens to be Lemons!!!!
ORIGINAL: DiabloKid

Lemons roam in ALL manufacturers if you ask me. You get what you pay for and in my opinion I feel many modelers expect WAY to much in terms of what they are paying for. I have a a few planes and each one is a bit different. All require the setup to be played with and some slight reinforcement but I have never opened a box and then re-packaged it becuase I didnt like it.

Most manufactures have a few planes that come up with problems and there are a few companies that have their share of problems with QC. Not to beat a dead horse but you get what you pay for and ALL require some sort of work to get them to fly to spec.

just a rant, good luck

matt
Old 10-01-2004, 05:24 AM
forestroke

wessman... does that mean it's good or bad? Fat or Phat?
Old 10-01-2004, 05:38 AM
SigMan
My Feedback: (21)

Buy SIG !
Old 10-05-2004, 08:01 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just wanted to come back in this post to make a retraction of negative things I have said about my Vmar Aero Subaru. I have stated in a various post on R/C Universe that Vmar puts out inferior ARF's. I only have expeience with the one I own, but I am here to say that after flying mine quite a bit this summer that I have really grown to like it very much. With a dozen other Planes in the Hangar, and brands such as Hangar 9, Sig, Great Planes, etc. I have to say that the vmar Aero Subaru has been a ball to fly, and is now one of my favs. I did have to beef up several spots that were poorly glued and constructed, but once I done that, it has been smooth flying! I know I am the minority in praising my Vmar, but I give credit where credit is due!
Old 10-06-2004, 12:14 AM
EasySport46

I think the Dazzler should be avoided due to a very weak glue joint at the fuse to wing seam. They did not design a good enough contact area.
Old 10-06-2004, 10:55 AM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

I have had great luck with Great Planes and Hanger 9,
Corsair flys great but the gear is wobbly, and Ball links are PooPoo!!!
GP 182 is a great model. I have several hundred flights on mine and is still like new.
I still remember taking 9 months to build to the point you walk into the house with it.
Do your homework, Reinforce the firewall before you build and Change a few things before you get to the field and you will be a happy camper in a lot of cases.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:57 AM
fearless fly

ORIGINAL: tIANci

LDM - you are a real sicko ... what the hell has not making a plane so scale like got to do with not respecting US Military history, is this some Yankee Red Neck ****? What a jerk ... most of the things you have in the US are made in foreign countries who have no or not much respect for the US much anyways. Sheeesh ... this is a hobby and not some place for you to voice your 'racist' ultra-nationalistic comments.
What about practicing what you preach,(in other words,you're the one not being nice)

Fearless
Old 10-07-2004, 07:33 AM
tIANci

Fearless ... aren't you lagging bad? Sigh ... you really don't get it. Oh well ...
Old 07-24-2005, 06:37 PM
ian01

I know this topic has been around for a while but I recently bought a Model Tech Dragon Lady and I'm absolutley disgusted at the amount of wrinkles on the covering. It's taken me hours to get them all out. Until they sort it I wouldn't buy any of the models again.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:16 PM
ckangaroo70

I've read some pretty descent views of the Dragon Lady, so this one kind of suprises me. Sorry to hear about the shabby looking covering. I hope it ironed out good though. I believe that any covering has a tendency to loosen up after it has been boxed, set for months, and shipped around in different air conditions.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:16 PM
danedelman
My Feedback: (25)

My giant Scale Planes P-40 53" wingspan should definitly go on the list. Nothing fit right and it flew like a rock. Also I have to add

Phoenix Models Giles 202 and Seabee- wing failure
Old 10-28-2005, 06:58 AM
ckangaroo70

ORIGINAL: danedelman

My giant Scale Planes P-40 53" wingspan should definitly go on the list. Nothing fit right and it flew like a rock. Also I have to add

Just curious as to what kind of wing loading the GSP P-40 53" is supposed to have? I would not buy a GSP Plane because I hear they linch people on shipping, but I have read where several people say that the Planes fly good. Thanks for posting and letting people know your experience with it.
Old 10-28-2005, 11:29 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi all
I'm afraid I would have to put my Funtana 40 on the dog flying list, compared to the Weston Hype on the same engine the Funtana would not do what it was designed too. ( How many e-mails dissing the hype will this start?)
Speak as you find.

When I came back from University I was amazed how much my partents had learnt.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:43 PM
danedelman
My Feedback: (25)

ORIGINAL: ckangaroo70

ORIGINAL: danedelman

Just curious as to what kind of wing loading the GSP P-40 53" is supposed to have? I would not buy a GSP Plane because I hear they linch people on shipping, but I have read where several people say that the Planes fly good. Thanks for posting and letting people know your experience with it.

It was very high but not specified. I actually drove to PA for the plane so I did not pay shipping. All there planes are heavy and not worth it.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:30 AM
Turk1

ORIGINAL: fkozlof

Thunder Tiger ARF's, IMO.
I've had two: Champion 35 (6+ yrs. back)

Both had a tendancy to 'roll out to the right', when you cracked in up elevator.
I had very experienced helpers mess with balance, fit, elevator trim, etc. and we concluded there was something strange about the wing design, which caused what was in effect, a 'high speed stall'. While they did tip stall seriously, at slow landing speeds, they were especially 'crazy' at high speed, in a high G pull up.

To the point of being dangerous. I nearly headed for the pits a couple of times doing a high speed pass and climb to altitude.

I'm experienced at building, and highly confident in the wing fit and left-right angle of incidence, so if it's wrong, it's likely because the wings were not made symmetrical to start with (ie. left differs from the right).

Thus, I'm all done with TT arfs. Too bad about the G-202, 'cuz it looked real nice, and did some great aerobatics. It's just that some of them were not induced by the pilot !

If you KNOW what really might have caused this tendency to 'high speed stall', please email me at [email protected]. thanks.
I have had a TT 30L Champion until last week.(Crashed due to pilot error,rest in peace)
It was great flying plane with a TT 42 GP and had never such any habit mentioned above.Contrary, low speed stall was almost null so I had many cat like landings(falls of 4 legs ) falling on literally as horizontal,no roll tendency(lots of elevator needed sure).
I have met some glue lack on firewall or landing gear base.Cowling material was crap.But I was happy with it and if I can find one I would buy again.
Old 11-05-2005, 06:26 PM
piper140

just wanna post a positive report about vmar from norway. flow'n this planes a couple of years. stabil, cheap, everything! now the new series are here, new balsa and everything. be happy!
Old 11-05-2005, 09:48 PM
cmartin3977

I bought a modeltech 1/3 scale ARF cub when they 1st came out and with a G-62 up front it was still tail heavy, had to add 4 1/2 lbs of noseweight, yes lbs. All out weight came out to 32 lbs rtf. had cheap hardware. Price back when new was 899.00. Price has dropped 200 to 699.00 since then. It flew ok. But I wouldnt by one again.

http://www.globalhobby.com/public/mo...ery/121200.asp

Chad
Old 11-06-2005, 09:48 AM
ckangaroo70

ORIGINAL: piper140

just wanna post a positive report about vmar from norway. flow'n this planes a couple of years. stabil, cheap, everything! now the new series are here, new balsa and everything. be happy!
Thanks for the positive report, but this thread was started to let others know what Planes you would AVOID at all cost. There are other threads dedicated to the ones you like.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:56 AM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I've heard some bad raps on the old Global P-47. I flew mine with a K & B .65 Sporster. I installed Robart retractable landing gear and Robo struts. I added larger wheels...and the model flew fine. I did have one problem with the kit...and the same with their Skyraider... High speed stalls. In powered dives and high speed turns, the models would high speed tip stall. I lost my Skyraider that way...ordered a second Skyraider...and the wing folded for lack of glue. I showed the pictures to Global...but they blew me off. That was four or more years ago, so in all honesty I must say things may have changed with Global since then...but I have yet to by a model from them. I did beef up the retract landing gear rails...but I do that to all my arf retract models. I tossed out the fuel tank and installed a Du-Bro 16 oz. tank. Balance was good, and used a slim line muf. on the model. Other then the high speed tip stalls...and if kept to medium speeds, the model flew just fine. It was easy to land and I actually wore out several pairs of Robart wheels on the model. In fact it made the prettiest wheel landings of any model I ever had.

The Linear P-47 was a great flying model for me. Again I beefed up the gear rails, and installed Robart retracts. This model was on line flying for over 250 flights, with a K & B .61 Lee engine. I can't say enough good about the kit, for it was a sweet flyer. It flew well in wind and rough air, and did it ever do a sweet wheel landing. I loved the kit...and utill I flew it into the grownd-my fault-in a mock air to air dog fight, it was my main fighter and sunday model. Man...did I put that kit into the ground hard...and I never did find all the engine parts. My landing gear was toast, my radio gear was placed in several bagies and sent all to Airtronics. The battary was in several pieces too. The flight line gave me hell, but what a wreck that was. I love T-bolts...and I've my eye on the Hanger 9 model now. The model did not tip stall no matter how fast I was going and no matter what attitude I placed the model in. I've never heard much about the kit here on RCU...but it was a winner for me.

Soft and gentle landings always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 01-07-2006, 12:09 PM
Broken

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread has just about eliminated every ARF on the market... I have had nothing but good experiences with all the cheap model pushers such as CMP, Fly-Model RC, KMP Etc.... I also do allot of kit building and I think that is the reason I have had good luck.

When I get an arf I take the default setup as a suggestion and pay allot of time and attention looking for possible problems and fixing them. I know it is not fair marketing but the cheap "arfs" need to be treated more like build projects and less like a "follow the steps" assembly project. I think that the lack of "simple assembly" is the true price we pay for trying to save an extra few bucks.

Some things I have learned about these cheap arfs:
1. Read The Manual... all for pages - "thanks CMP"
2. Replace the hardware
3. Re-enforce the glue joints
4. Look for possible issues. When found, improvise adapt and overcome
5. Balance the model 3-5mm in front of mfg recommendation for the first flight.

I have several of these models in my gallery.. All are still flying..
Old 01-07-2006, 09:30 PM
salmon
My Feedback: (114)

GSP [:@]
Old 01-07-2006, 11:01 PM
PointMagu
My Feedback: (11)

AK

P-51 Marie. $99. Crap retracts, crap manual, crap parts fit. crap hardware, crap wood selection.

A very poor attempt to clone the Hanger 9 original. If you love figuring out thrust lines, remolding wheel wells, replacing retracts, and recovering, then this is the plane for you.

Otherwise, skip AK and stick to the original(s).

A(ctually)K(rap).

nuff said...

PointMagu
Old 01-09-2006, 09:21 PM
copperhead

Black horse .40 size Cub, bad karma,really flimsy landing gear, squirrely,
Pheonix SU-31 , 1.20 size, wierd fish glue, bizzare woods... wings ok, landing gear a definite weak spot, fake carbon fiber landing gear, way too much flex, not enough wood to withstand anything but a greaser of a landing.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:48 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: CHEETAH AIRCRAFT

I don't think you'll get many takers on your Peashooter now !!!!!!!!!!!

----------------

Then again, there are folks like me, although not so much when it comes to models. I buy engines intentionally that have a bad reputation, just to see if I can straighten them out. Most of the time, there is nothing wrong with the engines at all - just previous owners that expected something different.

I'm not much for buying used, built model airplanes. Usually, the ones that I want to buy are not for sale, or the owner, and rightfully so, wants more than I am willing to pay.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.