Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

AVOID THIS ENGINE AT ALL COST!!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

AVOID THIS ENGINE AT ALL COST!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 07:31 AM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AVOID THIS ENGINE AT ALL COST!!!!!

There are usually 3 important buying decisions when shopping for your next ARF. The first is the Plane. The second is the engine, and the third is Radio Equipment. In this Post I would like to concentrate on engines. Specifically what 2 stroke, or four stroke should a buyer AVOID AT ALL COST? I am not interested in what is the best, because there are lots of good engines and 10 different people will give you 10 different answers about what is best. I want to know what is the worst! Which engines are only good for doorstops, or deadstick practice?
Old 07-11-2004, 07:35 AM
ckangaroo70

Default RE: AVOID THIS ENGINE AT ALL COST!!!!!

I will start this thread by adding my own Tower Hobbies .46 Pro 2 Stroke to the list of engines to avoid at all cost. This Engine is loaded with Power, but a real Bear to keep in tune. I am stubborn and continue to run it in one of my Planes, but it will probally bite me good one of these days because it is a great engine for deadstick landing practice.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:25 AM
Pjtg0707

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: ckangaroo70

I will start this thread by adding my own Tower Hobbies .46 Pro 2 Stroke to the list of engines to avoid at all cost. This Engine is loaded with Power, but a real Bear to keep in tune. I am stubborn and continue to run it in one of my Planes, but it will probally bite me good one of these days because it is a great engine for deadstick landing practice.
I'll give you $5 for that engine, shipping included to west coast!!
Old 07-11-2004, 10:11 AM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would include the OS .40 LA -- not that it is a really bad engine, but it is gutless & much too expensive for what you get. The .46 LA is the same size & weight ,but noticeably more powerfull & is only a bit more costly (although it too is not really much of a bargain).
Old 07-11-2004, 10:50 AM
ckangaroo70

That is a real generous offer, but I love all that power in that small package. I just wish the dang thing would run consistant. Maybe after a few unsuccessful deadsticks, I might take you up on your offer.
ORIGINAL: Pjtg0707

I'll give you $5 for that engine, shipping included to west coast!!
Old 07-11-2004, 11:05 AM
ckangaroo70

Now this post was a shocker to read! I will defend the O.S LA .40 and say that these are probally one of the most dependable engines on the market. They are not real powerhouses, but I don't think anyone looking for a good sport engine buys the LA anyway. These engines are best for Trainers where dependabillity is a must for new pilots. I have an O.S .40 La on an old Trainer Plane. It has many flights on it, and not one single flame out believe it or not. You can't hardly compare a .40 size ABC Bushing Motor against something like a O.S .40FX. Totally different engines with a totally different Price Tag. I have seen some serious crashes with the L.A .40 and these little engines are pretty hard to kill in my opinion. There are other engines within the same class as the LA that are a little cheaper like the Thunder Tiger GP42, which is also a pretty dependable little bushing motor, but even the LA at $55-$60 is a pretty good deal on an engine that may not be real powerful, but dependable if set right. Maybe I am wrong here, so I would be real interested to hear what others have to say about the O.S LA .40.
ORIGINAL: britbrat

I would include the OS .40 LA -- not that it is a really bad engine, but it is gutless & much too expensive for what you get. The .46 LA is the same size & weight ,but noticeably more powerfull & is only a bit more costly (although it too is not really much of a bargain).
Old 07-11-2004, 01:07 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Can't understand people miss-crediting these engines (OS LA).
They are (the engines) the best there is for newbies...powerful (when propped right), reliable, easy to start, light and quiet.
What else can you ask for.
Run a 11x5 or 11x6 APC on the OS LA .40 and .46 and you will have a great performer ...not a 10x6! Run 5-10% nitro and OS 8 or Enya 3 glowplug.

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Old 07-11-2004, 03:42 PM
Mike Ledbetter

Most people don't like MDS. Me, I have three. But parts are not really available. They're no longer made, I think.

Regards.
Old 07-11-2004, 04:03 PM
P-40LUVR

OS LA.46 CRAP!!!....OS FP-40 CRAP!!!<-----------------------STAY AWAY FROM THESE 2 JEWELS!
LA 46 NO power and could NEVER get it to stayed tuned,dead sticked all the time...FP 40..again NO power and had lots of air leaks!
My .02 cents
Old 07-11-2004, 04:32 PM
bigchap

i agree about the la,but imho the fp was and is a cracking good engine.
Old 07-11-2004, 04:34 PM
dlcarterjr

I put an OS 40 LA in my trainer when I was getting started a few years ago. The engine is very reliable and runs fine, but if I would have known better I would have bought something different. My problem is that now I'm stuck with an engine that is basically only good in a trainer. That's fine if you plan to keep your trainer forever. I'd like to junk my trainer and move the radio and engine to a new plane but I can't find a decent plane that is light enough for the engine.

If your a newbe who just wants a cheap/reliable engine for your trainer, the 40 LA is for you. In my opinion, the money you save will be offset by having to purchase a new, bigger engine when you start your next project.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:09 PM
RJConnet

Hey Jr.

If you really want to have some fun with that 40 LA, put it in a Modeltech Magic. Keep it light with mini-servos (I have hitec 225 BB's in mine), Use AAA NiMH battery pack and do not make any modifications that will add any weight. Don't bother with after market landing struts or steerable tail wheels. It should come in at about 3 1/2 pounds and will fly straight up forever and hover all day at part throttle. Trainer only, my foot. [8D][8D]
RJ

". My problem is that now I'm stuck with an engine that is basically only good in a trainer. That's fine if you plan to keep your trainer."
Old 07-11-2004, 07:53 PM
Convair340

O.S. doesn't really use chrome in their AAC's. O.S. uses steel and/or nickel, which wears out fast and has caused a lot of problems, including at my R/C Club's field. Sounds like O.S. tried to cut cost by cheapening the manufacture and quality of their engines.
Old 07-11-2004, 07:57 PM
jworosylo

I'll have to agree with the tower hobbies .46 pro being worthless..... i mean, it is powerful, but very unreliable. I went to the evolution .455 and am loving every minute of it, especially with a dual 11x7 prop.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:10 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

I have to agree with you on the Evo .45. Mine is a powerful engine that is easy to start. I don't know how many flights I have on it, I can look it up, but maybe 70 total. Only 2 deadsticks and that was due to trash in the needle valve. I got it used with my trainer, so it maybe has double what I've flown myself. This is an engine that I'll never retire.

Just got the Evo .46NT and it is very powerful too. Flew it 6 flights on Sat.
Old 07-11-2004, 09:27 PM
britbrat

I believe that the Tower Hobbies .46 & the GMS .47 are the same engine (despite the claimed .47 thing). The GMS is widely acclaimed -- so what's up with the Tower .46?
Old 07-11-2004, 10:13 PM
Fubar-One
My Feedback: (1)

Supposedly are designed better now, but I wouldnt use a Magnum 2 stroke if it was given to me wrapped in dollar bills. Only thing good I could have said about that engine was that GMS took it in trade in towards one of their engines.
The Gagnumb I had was an XL .40. Absolutely worthless piece of junk.
The Magnum .91FS, however... Cant say enough good things about that.
ORIGINAL: ckangaroo70

There are usually 3 important buying decisions when shopping for your next ARF. The first is the Plane. The second is the engine, and the third is Radio Equipment. In this Post I would like to concentrate on engines. Specifically what 2 stroke, or four stroke should a buyer AVOID AT ALL COST? I am not interested in what is the best, because there are lots of good engines and 10 different people will give you 10 different answers about what is best. I want to know what is the worst! Which engines are only good for doorstops, or deadstick practice?
Old 07-11-2004, 10:16 PM
Fubar-One

Gotta disagree with you on the .46LA. Granted it (and the .40LA) are not powerhouses but they are not meant to be. On the other hand, they are very reliable engines.
ORIGINAL: britbrat

Old 07-12-2004, 12:12 AM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

I had a 46 LA and it was a sweet little engine. Flew an overweight pig of a trainer quite nicely. Needed a lot of room to take off, but once in the air it flew along at a nice clip. RELIABLE...you bet, affordable...uh huh. Not a bad engine paired up with the right airframe. Most people tend to over power their planes anyway I think.

As far as BAD engines go...I haven't got one yet, but I hear MDS are notorious for airleaks. Dunno!

Jim
Old 07-12-2004, 08:25 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Plain bushed engines get a bum rap most of the time .
The OS 46 LA is like the old KB Sportsters-- a simple engine ,pinch fitted in the bore.
When I first tested the LA -using a light wooden 10x6 -it simply refused to run - it just would burp and stop -
switching to a prop with more flywheel -and it immediately ran.
If you use a plug like a #8 ,plus fuel such a Magnum#1-#2 Heli - you should have great luck.
These engine need more oil and more nitro - to really run smooothly thru the entire power band.
The idea is not for more power - but to broaden the needle setting.
The LA after about 10 minutes running - became very friendly - No flameouts - smooth recovery etc..
The real plus with these -as the KBSportsters -is that they have nothing to rust -
No friggen bearing to clean/lube each time with afterrun oil - Just fly -put em away for a day or a year and they are ready to go again.
I love em.
Probably had no more than a few hundred glo engines --
Old 07-12-2004, 11:38 AM
SkyDude

I have to OS .40LA's - one in an Avistar and one in a TT P-51 Lazy Tiger fun fly. Both engines run great and I have over 100 flights on the Avistar and over 75 on the P-51. The engines like 15% and, once dialed in, will run reliably. The few deadsticks I've had happend when using 10% or less fuel. They are not power-house motors, but reliable for trainers and lighter planes. Just remember the low speed screw is an air-bleed type, so it's opposite of most engines. Left to lean, right to richen your low-end on the .40LA.

My two Tower .46 engines, on the other hand, have been next to useless. I plan to send them both back to Tower as they have a two year warranty which is doubled to four years if you are a Super Savers member. Both of my TH .46's had a lot of deadsticks and are even difficult to get running right on a test stand. I'm no engine expert, but these paperweights had several experienced guys at my field perplexed.
Old 07-12-2004, 01:38 PM
rfw1953
My Feedback: (2)

My recommendation is to first find out what the guys are flying at your local flying field. Usually the most popular brand and model at the field is the best engine. Why? These guys have experience with these engines and no how to properly set them up and how to keep them running. My field is an OS field by a large margin. Go to another field and those guys all swear by Saito or some other engine. Who is right or wrong is primarily based on what the guys at your field fly the most. Set-up and experience have just about as much to do with engine performance as the design. I am an OS guy and have had nothing but very positive experiences with them. Super Tiger makes a good glow engine for less money, but they can be hard to adjust. Mokie also makes good engines, but they too can be difficult to adjust and seem to vibrate more on the larger engines. We have a few Saitos at the field and for the most part they seem to run well, but here again, I am partial to OS. Not all models within a brand are of the same quality. Each manufacturer has their dogs. For value, performance, reliability, user friendliness and service OS is among the best IMHO

BTW - for a trainer, a 40 LA is hard to beat based on cost and what a new pilot needs as a beginner. Why anyone would want to rip the engine and the servos out of a trainer anyway is beyond me. Sell the trainer as is and then upgrade the engine and electronics to match the plane. Go on the high end of the power range when selecting an engine and then use throttle management to control speed. Nothing better than having the power to get out of trouble when you need it. Nothing worse than wishing you had more power and none being there. Just my 2-cents.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:18 PM
Ed_Moorman

Tower, GMS and Magnum, my 3 favorite engines. My Tower .46 is in a sea plane because it never quits out on the lake. I bought 1 Magnum .52 and liked it so much I bought another. Then I bought a 4-stroke, a .61 on sale, then 2 more, a .91 and a .70. I swear the Mag .91 runs as good as my Saitos. Don't even mention a .91 2-stroke. I sold my OS FX and have a Mag .91XLS. My GMS .47 is in my regular flying 3D plane and my OS AX is waiting another kit.
Old 07-12-2004, 03:40 PM
changed
Banned

M ore
D ead
S ticks

I hope they never produce this engine again.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:02 PM
edh13
My Feedback: (9)

My Tower .46 - runs fine, no problems.
My GMS .47 - ran fine, but the muffler wouldn't stay together.
My 40LA - ran perfect. Don't complain about the power. Look at the size and wieght. Not much more than a BB .25.
My Rossi .45 - was unbelievable (after a very long break in) What a stump puller. Never touched the needles. Didn't like nitro.
My Norvel .25 revlite - screamed and was super light. Low needle needed tweaked often. Liked nitro
My Norvel .15 - okay. Runs strong wide open but transition bad (no low needle). Muffler mount cheezy.
My .32 sx - best of everything. Too bad I drilled it in last week.
My several .46fx's - as advertised. Did have one with the peel. Replaced.
Worst Engine - A Royal .40 BB about 15 years ago.
2nd worst - A K&B sportster .45. About the same time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.