Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Tower Koas flight observations

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Tower Koas flight observations

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 03:15 PM
wakewatcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tower Koas flight observations

I've recently put together a tower Koas and its a blast to fly but seems to have some strange flight characteristics. Just for fun I put two aileron servos which I can turn on as flaperons or mix elevator and flaperons. From its initial flight it didn't need much if any trim and flew straight and level. However while it flies straight it appears to fly crabbed to the left. This is most notable in a flight up while making a hammer-head turn. It goes straight up but just sorted crabbed over. The other odd thing is that when I switch the flaps on I can run the flaps full down or full up (spoilers) and the plane still flies level under power. Doesn't pitch up or down. I thought that the switch wasn't working but when I brought her down it definitely was working. On the other hand when I switch on the airbrakes and throttle back the spoiler function seems to work as advertised as I can mush it in for a landing. With regard to the crab my initial thought was that it must have something to do with engine torque but then thought that would exhibit a left hand turn rather than crab (and also it crabs going straight up after I've throttled back.) Also just for fun I have a gyro hooked up to the rudder as we have horrible cross winds sometimes. The crab isn't effected one way or another when the gyro is switch in or out. -steve-
Old 07-21-2004, 03:19 PM
kensmithjr

Default RE: Tower Koas flight observations

I can't offer much in the way of a suggestion but I would like to ask? where did you put your servos? I am building a Kaos right now and I am contemplating two servos as well and I wasn't sure there would be room in the center of the wing to keep the construction the same so I was thinking of modifying the rib slightly and putting the servo in the wing. I was just curious how you handled this scenario?
Old 07-21-2004, 03:42 PM
jcflysrc
My Feedback: (50)

Hmm. Maybe the vertical fin is off by a degree or so. Or maybe it needs some trim on the rudder. Is the fuse straight? Hmm...

Jim
Old 07-21-2004, 03:53 PM
wakewatcher

I didn't modify anything I just used two Hitec 225BB servos side by side seperated with double sided sticky foam tape. Fits perfectly in the existing space. -steve-
Old 07-21-2004, 04:15 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an older GP Monokote Kaos and it flies fine. I used one servo on the ailerons because it lands slow enough without flaperons. The ailerons are pretty narrow so I expect you don’t gain much lift or drag with flaperons. It’s powered with an Irvine 53. The vertical stabilizer needs to be carefully installed because it can be misaligned pretty easily.