Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Dave Patrick super cub

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Dave Patrick super cub

Old 07-28-2004, 08:36 PM
orvel
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dave Patrick super cub

Got my DPM Super Cub today and all I can say is__ WOW! Super Indeed and by far the best looking quality ARF Cub in the market. I'm a traditionalist and got mine in the yellow scheme. Also tried the Saito 150S for fit inside the cowl and it fits perfectly with good clearance all around__ no surgery needed on this cowl except maybe a small hole at the bottom for the muffler. Bud, those floats look great! Are they from a kit? Plans? Scratch built? Please let me know, I also plan to get mine on floats at sometime in the future. Please keep us abreast of any modifications you have to make to fit them and the best way to install them.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:57 PM
Bud Faulkner

Orvel,
They're Sea Commander floats heavily modified....There's more info on them on the seaplanes forum under hey nony..the're done. Posted so many picture's of them in the past the guy's are probably tired of looking at them but here's one more of them with my homemade scale brackets

Bud
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19174.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	158468  
Old 07-28-2004, 09:51 PM
Dr. Pepper

Bud,

Ok, you shot down my G26, now after looking at your floats I think I will burn mine. Geeez, how do some of you guys do this stuff?

Looking at the Saitio 182 Twin, fit looks ok, and what a jewel to match the cub, what do you think? (forget the price tag, if the wife finds about this one I can trade it in on a trailer for rent).
Old 07-28-2004, 09:55 PM
Dr. Pepper

Orvel,

Should have put this on my last post to Bud. Rather than a muffler on a Saito 100 I used the flex pipe extension they sell. Works great, no muffler and the sound is about the same with a muffler, a little more throaty, not louder. How cool on a twin!!!!!!!!
Old 07-28-2004, 10:12 PM
sj3cub
My Feedback: (9)

Bud, Your paint scheme is the exact same one that I am going to use. The only difference is that I will be using full size N numbers on the side of the fuse. I will be using a 2 part Epoxy system for paint. I am thinking about using a OS 120 III Pumped version. Plenty of power on a aircraft like this. Then again, a saito 180 would make this thing climb out like a home sick angel. Dave really did his homework on this one. The landing gear and struts are absolutley beautiful. Only thing that I can remotely complain about is that we will have to remove the lightning bolt and the N numbers. Dave told me at Joe Nall that the N numbers and lightning bolt would be included in the kit but would not be applied to the model. I just hope that they are decals and not ultracoat. Anybody know yet?

Scott
Old 07-28-2004, 11:46 PM
Bud Faulkner

Dr. Pepper and sj3cub,
So many engines to choose from, my fingers are about worn out searching the web for that perfect combination!! Lots of nice choices and now that i'm convinced a gasser won't fit well i've been looking at twins, Saito and O.S. and as far as the price tag, dr. pepper's got it right but I may have to keep the dog house I was about to give away! [X(] I requested no N numbers when I ordered mine but got them anyway except for the wing...they look like vinyl and a friend said he has removed vinyl numbers on planes and cleaned the surface with acetone...i've yet to try it but will be removing mine. I was going to use my ama number like this NC40403 but in searching real ones most seem to have no numbers on the fuse and only small numbers on the rudder....guess it all depends on location and when they were built because there are a few with the number on the fuse side. The traditional J3 cub was yellow and most super cubs with few exceptions were white with blue, green or red trim. I did find two yellow super cubs and both are seaplanes. sj3 cub, i'd be interested in what 2 part paint you're using and orvel I like the flex pipe idea, will be using the same on mine...still leaning toward the OS160 twin. Oh yeah...dr. pepper, thanks on the floats...you don't want to know, only took three years off and on to finish but i'm a patient rascal, guess that's why I build more than I fly.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:43 AM
builder jim

Hey guys, hate to name all that way but I would hunt and peck to much to name all. Ive went to the os 160 has the same hp requirments as the 2 strokes requirment from the eng list . this is buy for the best ive seen ever!!!, iam an old build it yourself and from scratch if need be, kinda guy, but arfing just helps out with wife thing, smelly what that noise??. anyway,I got mine yesterday and started on the landing gear, everything just drops into place, read the manuel, what a manuel, Iam pinning the firewall and triangle reenforcing the landing gear, Bud iam going cover the servos with the lower rear seat cushion hollowed out , I think???? looks like it will work.?? need to build a drop in skylite. cant remember where to get the hindges for the the door and window, maybe one of you guys can help, like piano!!. any way cant do floats no where to fly from water here ordnances dont allow it. so no floats for me. yes bud youve done your homework on foam, home depot here has the blue kind that sands nice and is messy but the sweeper hates the stuff! the rear head liner will be foam also just some carefull measuring, man this is what i like, the detail to make it look real, the hard part is done! will build may own tubler exhaust extenions from alu tubeing using os header pipes that come with the eng. stiil looking for the paint for the trim, thread is a little confuseing, just need the paint type and steps to get it to stay put , seems everone is wishing some paint was still made ect ect! dont want to go to trim sheets monocoat, but will if needed. boy cant wait to do the nav lites makinng those 1937 chevy tail lite housings again.and that wing edge is nice and thin. havent really havint got that far. better head to work thank all jim
Old 07-29-2004, 04:15 PM
orvel

Good idea Dr. Pepper, I think I'll try one of those flex pipes! Thanks
Old 07-29-2004, 04:21 PM
orvel

Anybody considering dual servos for the elevator? I don't know about just using one per the instructions--although high torque! Comments?
Old 07-29-2004, 04:27 PM
Brylee

I'm using the new futaba 3010 on the elavators. That should be enough afterall this is a cub not an extra. Good luck
Old 07-29-2004, 04:32 PM
Brylee

BTW I should mention that I am using these on my GP soucy xtra and they work great
Old 07-29-2004, 05:07 PM
Bud Faulkner

O.K. Where's all the progress photo's? I'm sure some of you have stopped drooling by now and dug in.

Bud
Old 07-29-2004, 07:43 PM
orvel

I'll be starting on mine soon Bud! BTW Dave's got the scale 3D instrument panels for the Cub. I got one coming!
Old 07-29-2004, 07:44 PM
Bud Faulkner

Jim, Nelson sells piano hinges.
http://www.nelsonhobby.com/piano.html
Not true scale but whatever works.

Bud
Old 07-29-2004, 07:47 PM
Bud Faulkner

That's great orvel, I was supposed to get one free by ordering last december as advertised at that time but wasn't in the box. Let us know what it's like.

Forgot to mention i'm using Hi tech TS-70 metal gear servo's 106.7 oz. torque. A little overkill never hurts.

Bud
Old 07-29-2004, 08:06 PM
builder jim

Bud thanks for the info on the hindges, will order them, hey have that sickness of CRS, came to me today the method of trim painting never did an all over but just trim. tape out your scheme with 3m fine line striping tape greenish in color for automotive striping, after all is covered for over spray, Ive used coverites clear , rattle can and dusted on two lite coats so as color wont creep under then waited about 10 mins, to spray testors model master paint has to be model master . this paint is fuel. proof , but not testors standard sprays for models. Iam not one to leave fuel on a plane, at least not on purpose, so Ive never had a problem paint coming off, but testors standard spray will desolve right away. Ive even painted trim sheets letters with good results
Old 07-29-2004, 08:10 PM
builder jim

orvel , you may have a point there, dual servos have to think that one over? got to watch the weight factor using a 160
Old 07-29-2004, 08:15 PM
builder jim

cant do photos, Iam lucky to even start this thing going and still be able to come back and read anything, just not literate on these computers
Old 07-29-2004, 08:16 PM
Bud Faulkner

Jim, Never used testors but have done the trim tape many times. I've always dusted with clear first also. Still undecided on paint but have plenty of time. As far as CRS goes, had it for years. My favorite is going into the shop to get something..standing there for 5 min. trying to remember what it was and remembering what it was only when I went back to where I was before I went into the shop. Hey...i'm an old guy...I can get away with that!

Bud
Old 07-29-2004, 08:27 PM
builder jim

bud its the staight skinny on the testors model master spray, done it for 4 or 5 years, but only to trim not all overs. And the guys at the hobby shop know Iam coming back ,sometimes in ten or so minutes, what do you think of dual elv servos?
Old 07-29-2004, 08:53 PM
Bud Faulkner

Jim, I like the idea of duel elevator servo's...there is an electronic unit I saw just the other day (there ya go with the CRS) but not sure where that will match the two servo's for equal throws, will look into it and report when I find it. Think I may go that direction myself.

Bud
Old 07-29-2004, 09:41 PM
T. Bob
My Feedback: (9)

What torque size servos is the manual asking for ?
Thanks
T. Robert Klein
More photos please?
Old 07-29-2004, 10:55 PM
Bud Faulkner

Bob,
70 oz. min.

Bud
Old 07-29-2004, 11:02 PM
orvel

T. Bob, 70 in. oz. minimum torque on the servos. I really think dual servos is the way to go on the most critical surface of any airplane --the elevator! If for anything for security and piece of mind on this very expensive beauty! I don't care how good they may be but servos do fail. So for me it's going to be two on this baby!
Old 07-29-2004, 11:24 PM
orvel

Bud, the device you're talking about is a servo reverser, costs about $20.00 at MPI Inc. I have a GP Ryan STA with dual elevator servos which I installed one of these, and it really works great! The real benefit is that by reversing the throw of one servo it allows you to install the rudder servo in the middle of the tray nice and straight using the cable pull-pull system. The elevator servos would then be installed on either side of the rudder servo with the arms towards the inside. To not use the reverser would force you to put the rudder servo at one of the ends of the tray instead of the middle and the cable system would then be at an angle and not straight. Obviously, the elevator servos would be right next to each other cramping things even more! I really think this is the way I'm going! I really want that peace of mind with this airplane!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.