Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Dave Patrick super cub

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Dave Patrick super cub

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2006, 12:02 PM
builder jim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dave Patrick super cub

[&o]I have 2 of the super cubs, both white long wings and as you may recall my son put one in pretty hard did'nt hurt the eng at all thank heavens but the right wing and fuze took a beating so much that it went to parts for the other one that is unbuilt but no box as I rack store all my wait to build planes, beats hanger rashing looking for pieces to measure or build on , any way do the guys that have the clipped wing version think that wing panels could be clipped to build the clipped version? have the clipped cowl as its different that the long wing, maybe I should sell the new one and parts from the first. wow really liked that super cub.I'll wait to hear what folks think about shortin the wings. BUILDER JIM
Old 06-29-2006, 11:15 PM
jaycam

Hey has anyone used the McDaniel/Sonic Tronic glow driver for the 1.60 twin? I have the whole thing assembled, with the Mcdaniel battery and on/off switch and I can't seem to stop my plane from having uncontrollable servo jitter and when I go to test the glow plug, it does not get hot nor does the little red light on the driver stop changing its brightness in unison with the jitters and I have checked everything over and over again and I am ready to rip it out of my plane and smash it to pieces. I would love some assistance.

Thanks,
MIke
Old 06-30-2006, 01:01 AM
TripleDeucer
My Feedback: (129)

Hey Mike, I don't want ya to feel like the Lone Stranger, but I have been tearing my hair out over my Electro Dynamics glow driver on my 160. I went the whole route with their complete system and have been burning plugs with it working sometimes and other times not. We should get together and smash em!! Although right now it's been working fine for the last 4 or 5 flights.
Have you talked to the people at ST? I haven't called ED yet to complain. My problems might have been the fuel I was using. It was Wildcat 20% and I switched to Cool Power 30% heli.
Your problem with jitters sounds like an electronic problem with the control box. Probably have a bad unit. I'm sure they would send you another one to try.

Good luck with it, Mark
Old 07-14-2006, 03:15 PM
hanoiboi

My Keleo exhaust header failed as well, same jug, but more around the flange where the nut tightens it into the head. IMHO, although it is a cool header, the thing is VERY flimsy. Kelvin told me my break was probably due to vibration, but I doubt it since the prop was balanced and it all ran very smoothly. I'm having my friend (A&P Mechanic) weld it up for me for another go. He's used to welding thin aluminum.

ORIGINAL: Hill202

Keleo exhaust failure. About the tenth flight. Kelvin has been sent this picture. I sure hope he stands good for it.

**update** I talked to Kelvin a moment ago and a new one is on the way!! Now thats how you run a business.
Thanks again Kelvin!!

Old 07-16-2006, 02:59 PM
jaycam

Hello guys,

I have a quick question. I maidened my DP clipped wing cub today and it flew flawlessly. I have the OS 1.60 twin, which is brand new (barely three tanks thru it), no onboard glow, but an unpowered remote twin glow. It was very hot up here in New England and I started it for a second flight and at half throttle it didn't seem like it was transitioning well from low power to high power. So I played with it a bit, with the cowl on in the heat, taxied out to the runway and gave it full power and apparently only one cylinder was firing. I once again played with it a bit but shut it down to further look into it and not risk a crash. This obviously is something that happens with these engines but what I would like to know is how do I make it not happen and what will make it happen? Could it be how the line from my fuel tank is arranged or could it be a low or high end needle valve issue? Like I said, the engine is brand new and it starts on one turn with my finger. I just don't want to lose my plane for something that I may have overlooked. Thank you very much for your help guys.

Mike
Old 07-16-2006, 06:36 PM
Daniel-EL
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I fly in 100 degree plus heat all the time and it doesn't seem to bother my OS 160 FT much. I do use on board glow and that makes a ton of difference. I've never had a jug flame out and low end needle valve settings are not so critical.

With my other non-onboard glow twins, I've found that after 2-3 hours of flight time they begin to run very reliably. Before that, lots of jug flame-outs and forced landings. I have to remember to keep the throttle up!

I highly recommend the on-board glow systems (I use ElectroDynamics). This has been my first experince with them and I'm sold.

Old 07-16-2006, 07:04 PM
jaycam

Thanks for the info. I understand how onboard glow will help with low throttle flying but how would it help with ensuring fuel flow to each cylinder? I'm sure this issue is mostly due to it being so new. Thanks very much.

Mike
Old 07-17-2006, 02:15 PM
flyn_colorado

Jaycam,
Interesting information. I purchased a O.S 1.60 FT for my DPM Clipped Wing Super Cub. Have not got to the point where I have started mine up yet so I have not experienced any problems, but I was wondering if you made the modification of lowering the fuel tank?
Old 07-17-2006, 08:01 PM
jaycam

Looking into the fuselage of the cub, it doesn't seem like the modification to lower it would be worth it. I would only be able to lower it about 1/2 inch and reading through this thread, no one has had to do this. Since I began looking into the few problems I have had, it seems that a powered glow driver will certainly solve a good deal of my grief in addition to really taking the time to break in the engine properly and maybe swapping the two glow plugs which came with the engine for two F type OS plugs. I think this will remedy the situation. Aside from all that, I did maiden my clipped wing this weekend and it flew flawlessly. From take off to landing, it was perfect. No bad tendencies at all. I loved it! My friend also had the full wing DP cub and with a Saito 1.82 and his flew just as well.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:54 AM
Daniel-EL

The onboard glow doesn't effect fuel delivery ratios, of course. I think you're stuck with the engine fuel feed design there. Except for some Saito twins, glow twins have one idle screw and one high speed needle for both jugs and you must assume fuel flow is equal to both. I set it up as best I can (so it doesn't stall on prelonged idle and throttle-up is without hesitation) and let 'er go. Works fine.

ORIGINAL: jaycam

Thanks for the info. I understand how onboard glow will help with low throttle flying but how would it help with ensuring fuel flow to each cylinder? I'm sure this issue is mostly due to it being so new. Thanks very much.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45437.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	493169  
Old 07-18-2006, 06:25 PM
snobird
My Feedback: (36)

Does anyone make of a float kit for the DP super cub ?
Old 07-19-2006, 06:52 AM
Daniel-EL

If you start at the beginning of this thread, snobird, Bud Faulkner talks all about floats for his DPM cub.

Does anyone have an opinion about running an OS-320FF flat four (Pegasus) in a DPM Cub? It's about 1/4 scale and would fit under the hood just fine. I need a home for mine. My present DPM Super Cub has an OS 160FT which is OK, but it's definately not over-powered.[]

Old 07-19-2006, 07:20 AM
Daniel-EL

Let us know how that Pegasus works out for you in the DPM Cub. I'm thinking of doing the same thing with a Clipped Wing version using a Keleo header.

ORIGINAL: CRAZYRYAN

well i don't care 'bout the money issue im buyin' the pegasus 4 banger and will put it in the dave patrick super cub goinng to get it the next year around august or so. whenever i save up pegasus is 1299.99 on tower and dave patrick is 600 it will be outfitted with digital servos and a nimh 1500mah battery i love cubs my favorite of all time aircrafts don't ask me why
Old 07-19-2006, 10:19 AM
jaycam

Thanks Daniel for the tips. I ordered my McDaniel glow driver and should receive it tomorrow. That should help a bit along with about a gallon more of break in time. I'll limit my idle time to taxiing and landings. Speaking of Bud Faulkner's floats, I bought a big Decathlon from him a few years back and got to see those floats up close and they are amazing. He can build and has a very precise attention to detail.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:35 PM
V2PLUS10

When you install the glow driver you might consider plugging it into the gear channel rather than running it with the throttle servo on a Y connector. This way you can turn it on and off at will, and if one cylinder flames out in flight at a critical time, you don't have to reduce the throttle to get the glow driver to light the plugs....if you have lost one cylinder, the last thing you need is to have to reduce the power on the operating cylinder....

Randy
Old 07-19-2006, 09:37 PM
Ray III
My Feedback: (5)

I have had a MPI (Maxx Products) deluxe twin glow driver for almost a year now waiting for my DPM Supercub (that's been on order for over a year and a half). Sorry I digress sometimes... I also have a 25 year old freshly recovered Balsa USA 1/4 scale J-3 with the original OS 1.20 twin, and recently ran it for the first time in 25 years. It ran like a Swiss watch except for low throttle. I have taken the glow driver intended for the PA-18 and have put it into the J-3. It is un-believeable the difference it has made, the low idle is amazing. I hope to get it into the air within the next couple of weeks.

The MPI deluxe twin glow driver is easily programmable for the turn on point based on the throttle stick position. It also plugs into the gear channel (5) to be manually activiated if and when needed. What I like best is it comes with a 3600 ma cell and charger.

Still waiting for the PA-18,

Ray
Old 07-25-2006, 11:45 AM
flyn_colorado

Where is the best place to purchase the MPI (Maxx Products) deluxe twin glow driver? Correct me if I am wrong but from what I have read here it turns on at low throttle and plugs in the gear channel? So you can manually turn it on and it turns on auto when in low throttle?
Thanks for the info!
Old 07-26-2006, 02:41 PM
hdkeney
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: flyn_colorado

Where is the best place to purchase the MPI (Maxx Products) deluxe twin glow driver? Correct me if I am wrong but from what I have read here it turns on at low throttle and plugs in the gear channel? So you can manually turn it on and it turns on auto when in low throttle?
Thanks for the info!
I agree with RAY III. It really allows a twin to purr like a kitten. Colorado, you don't need correction because you nailed it, and it really works great.
Howard
Old 08-02-2006, 04:56 PM
Hangar Pilot

I ordered a DP Clipped Wing Super Cub today! Now the big problem is waiting. Hopefully it want be but a couple of months.[&o]

Joe
Old 08-06-2006, 05:13 PM
bajaloya

I have the Clipped version. The landing gear is really stuck and I have not idea how to fix it. It is not a funtional LG? I drop some oil and make some stresss. Didnt work. Anyway, I flew it first time it today, not issues, no trimming needed. The 3W 28 pulls it really nice. Sounds nice also.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:00 AM
Hangar Pilot

I've ordered a Clipped Wing Super Cub from DPM. I called Sandy about getting the manual but she say that it only comes with the kit. Would anyone be willing to send it to me?

Thanks,

Joe
Old 08-09-2006, 11:19 PM
TripleDeucer
My Feedback: (129)

Joe, I'm not done with my instruction manual yet, but they list it on the parts inventory and order form for $10.00. Then again, maybe someone will see your plea and send you one.

Good luck
Old 10-09-2006, 12:00 PM
Siesta

Hi guys!

Has anyone an unbuilt Dave Patrick Super Cub (ARC or white ARF) that he would be willing to sell for good money? If so, please let me know, as soon as possible, ok? I already got the floats for it, but no plane! :-(

Many thanks
Matt
Old 10-09-2006, 12:16 PM
frank99
My Feedback: (29)

Good luck i have missed two nice ones on the flea market here and they are on back order all the time at dpm, i guess you have seen buds its the best looking cub in the world !!!!!! frank
Old 10-09-2006, 04:18 PM
Siesta

Yeah, Frank,

I know. They have been out of stock for months at DPM!
Bud just doesn't want to give me his, so I guess, I have to be patient.....
...... unless...... somebady has mercy and sells me theirs!

Thanks for your reply!

Matt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.