ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Dave Patrick super cub

Reply
Old 03-20-2008, 11:14 AM
  #1076
Daniel-EL
 
Daniel-EL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Maumee, OH
Posts: 359
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Dave Patrick super cub

Quote:
ORIGINAL: flyn_colorado

If you read post #786 Hill202 had the same problem. I have the same set-up but have not maidened mine yet. Glad to see Keleo has great customer service!


Ouch! His header broke clean off at the first exit bend. My flange broke inside the exhaust nut. My new header has tougher flanges, so I sure hope the tubing isn't the next thing to break now. So far it has held up well.

How did your maiden flight go?
Daniel-EL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 11:48 AM
  #1077
flyn_colorado
 
flyn_colorado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Castlerock, CO
Posts: 40
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Dave Patrick super cub

Daniel-EL,
Sad to say I have not finished mine yet... Its about 3/4 of the way done... just finished the cockpit last week.... I am way behind! :-) Hope to get her up in the air this spring... Thats my goal anyways! I have been messing around with the Hanger 9 Piper Pawnee latley but back to the DPM Super Cub now! Are you still flying yours?
flyn_colorado is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:06 PM
  #1078
TripleDeucer
 
TripleDeucer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: College Place, WA
Posts: 527
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Dave Patrick super cub


Quote:
ORIGINAL: G.P.

Can one of you that was lucky enough to get one of these please let me know how the corrugated flaps and ailerons were done? I am going to be doing an Adrian Page Super Cub over the winter and I would like to duplicate that if it doesn't add too much weight.

Thanks,
Greg
Greg, I see you never got an answer to this ?. The corrugated pieces are vacum formed thin abs plastic panels that are glued on the balsa framework. Mine were full of bubbles and would not lay flat in places. This is one pitfall of an ARF. They do look nice if glued down properly.

Mark
TripleDeucer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:13 PM
  #1079
TripleDeucer
 
TripleDeucer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: College Place, WA
Posts: 527
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Dave Patrick super cub

Hey Colorado, can you post some pics of your cockpit. I would love to see it. I too have been dragging my feet getting mine done. I ripped all the covering off and am just finishing up on the cloth and dope finish. It's been interesting, but very much worth the trouble as now I have a wrinkle free scale finish.
TripleDeucer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 09:36 PM
  #1080
flyn_colorado
 
flyn_colorado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Castlerock, CO
Posts: 40
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Dave Patrick super cub

Ill post pictures, no problem...when it is complete. My first cockpit job.. I have some touch ups to finish up :-)
flyn_colorado is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:25 PM
  #1081
G.P.
 
G.P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Grande Prairie, AB, CANADA
Posts: 312
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Dave Patrick super cub

Thank you Mark! It sounds like that may be a little hard to duplicate though! My build has slowed to a crawl because of a new addition to our family last Dec, so I guess I'll have some time to think about how to do it.

Thanks again!
Greg
G.P. is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 01:24 AM
  #1082
TripleDeucer
 
TripleDeucer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: College Place, WA
Posts: 527
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Dave Patrick super cub

Hey Bud, are you still on here? I have been going back through the posts looking for the info on where you got that little canoe to haul on the float rigging. I can't find it. I know I saw it somewhere back there. Could you please post or PM me the info?

Thanks, Mark
TripleDeucer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 08:24 AM
  #1083
Bud Faulkner
Thread Starter
 
Bud Faulkner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Mt Airy, MD
Posts: 897
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Dave Patrick super cub


Quote:
ORIGINAL: TripleDeucer

Hey Bud, are you still on here? I have been going back through the posts looking for the info on where you got that little canoe to haul on the float rigging. I can't find it. I know I saw it somewhere back there. Could you please post or PM me the info?

Thanks, Mark
Here you go Mark....http://www.northwoodscanoe.com/index.html I never used mine, it's a little out of proportion with the cub but will probably work. Still looks good though.

Bud
Bud Faulkner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:01 AM
  #1084
TripleDeucer
 
TripleDeucer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: College Place, WA
Posts: 527
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Dave Patrick super cub

Thanks Bud. I was talking to a friend about it and he got all excited about getting one for his Hangar 9. He is putting on a float fly in August and wants to spruce up his plane.

Thanks again, Mark
TripleDeucer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 11:34 AM
  #1085
Bud Faulkner
Thread Starter
 
Bud Faulkner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Mt Airy, MD
Posts: 897
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Dave Patrick super cub

Your welcome, you think you can get him to post a picture?

Bud
Bud Faulkner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2008, 12:07 PM
  #1086
TripleDeucer
 
TripleDeucer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: College Place, WA
Posts: 527
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Dave Patrick super cub

I'll give it a try. Most likely, I will shoot and post it as soon as he gets it done.

Mark
TripleDeucer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 01:17 AM
  #1087
TripleDeucer
 
TripleDeucer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: College Place, WA
Posts: 527
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Dave Patrick super cub

Does anyone on here know what kind of paint was used on the DP Cubs? I need to repaint and it would be nice to know for compatibility issues.

Thanks, Mark
TripleDeucer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:35 AM
  #1088
farmerric
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Lambertville, NJ
Posts: 100
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Dave Patrick super cub

I used a lustercote cub yellow spray in a can to repair the landing gear parts and it matched well
farmerric is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 09:05 AM
  #1089
FalcoNg
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: south, FL
Posts: 44
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Dave Patrick super cub

Just curious if anyone has any flight videos of their super cubs?
FalcoNg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:08 AM
  #1090
outacontrol41
 
outacontrol41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Girdletree, MD
Posts: 1,824
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Dave Patrick super cub

Guys....maybe you should check this out. Parts for your cubs may be available from Cermark. Click and read.......

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7332586/tm.htm
outacontrol41 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:42 AM
  #1091
farmerric
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Lambertville, NJ
Posts: 100
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Dave Patrick super cub

WOW thanks for the link. I saw the DP name on the lists of booths for Toledo this year on their web site, but I though it was just a misprint hold over from a pevious year. I spoke to Dave P at the WRAMS show several years ago when the cubs first came out (I got mine then) and he said that he was having terrible priority problems at the factory back then.
farmerric is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 03:16 PM
  #1092
skyracer068
 
skyracer068's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Henderson, NV
Posts: 57
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Dave Patrick super cub


Quote:
ORIGINAL: farmerric

WOW thanks for the link. I saw the DP name on the lists of booths for Toledo this year on their web site, but I though it was just a misprint hold over from a pevious year. I spoke to Dave P at the WRAMS show several years ago when the cubs first came out (I got mine then) and he said that he was having terrible priority problems at the factory back then.
Someone who went to the show spoke to Dave and he said Cermark bought him out. Cermark will start the Dave Patrick line again with replacement parts.
skyracer068 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:38 PM
  #1093
stevenchao
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Santa Fe Springs, CA
Posts: 285
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Dave Patrick super cub

Hi Everyone,

I want to personally clarify as best as I can with DPM situation. We (Cermark) are currently working with Dave Patrick to bring DPM back into the market. We looked at several factors that we felt important to us, you and our industry;
1) Dave Patrick is a strong designer, and has given much to our industry
2) There are still much creative juices left in Dave Patrick
3) Cermark can help minimize some of the business logistic and vendor issues that DPM experienced previously.

So we are moving ahead in bring DPM back to our industry. We want to provide Dave as much resources as possible to allow him to focus on creative aspect of design, QC portion of production, and teaching portion of flying for DPM . As for service and logistics, we are in the process of setting up. Please give us approximately 30-40 days integrating telephone, email and website.

As for the DPM items, here are the plan;
a) Available now
MAX adhesive - made in USA, thin / medium / thick with special patented cap in 20g and 50g sizes
Ultra Tailwheel - Wire and Leaf style versions in small, medium and large sizes (with limited quantity on hand).

b) Available in 60 days
MAX adhesive - made in USA, thick foam safe CA in 20g and 50g sizes
MAX accelerator for CA

c) Availabe in 4-6 months
Super Piper Cub - Vero Beach version in yellow Ultracote

d) In discussion
Clipped Wing Piper Cub - with racing strips in white base Ultracote
Blue head engines

If you have any suggestion for me, you can email me directly at schao@cermark.com

Peace,
Steven Chao,
CERMARK
stevenchao is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:31 AM
  #1094
MX240
 
MX240's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: PoDunk City, NE
Posts: 1,032
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Dave Patrick super cub

Steven
I would hope you would make the Super Cub available in white so we could add some scale trim.
Jim
MX240 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:03 AM
  #1095
TripleDeucer
 
TripleDeucer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: College Place, WA
Posts: 527
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Dave Patrick super cub

I like to do my own finishing and think that ALL arf's from any company should be offered in almost ready to cover version. DP had the S Cub set up that way. It allows for better personalization.
TripleDeucer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 10:52 PM
  #1096
ProScaleRc
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: MosmanNSW, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 358
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Dave Patrick super cub


Quote:
ORIGINAL: stevenchao

Hi Everyone,

I want to personally clarify as best as I can with DPM situation. We (Cermark) are currently working with Dave Patrick to bring DPM back into the market. We looked at several factors that we felt important to us, you and our industry;
1) Dave Patrick is a strong designer, and has given much to our industry
2) There are still much creative juices left in Dave Patrick
3) Cermark can help minimize some of the business logistic and vendor issues that DPM experienced previously.

So we are moving ahead in bring DPM back to our industry. We want to provide Dave as much resources as possible to allow him to focus on creative aspect of design, QC portion of production, and teaching portion of flying for DPM . As for service and logistics, we are in the process of setting up. Please give us approximately 30-40 days integrating telephone, email and website.

As for the DPM items, here are the plan;
a) Available now
MAX adhesive - made in USA, thin / medium / thick with special patented cap in 20g and 50g sizes
Ultra Tailwheel - Wire and Leaf style versions in small, medium and large sizes (with limited quantity on hand).

b) Available in 60 days
MAX adhesive - made in USA, thick foam safe CA in 20g and 50g sizes
MAX accelerator for CA

c) Availabe in 4-6 months
Super Piper Cub - Vero Beach version in yellow Ultracote

d) In discussion
Clipped Wing Piper Cub - with racing strips in white base Ultracote
Blue head engines

If you have any suggestion for me, you can email me directly at schao@cermark.com

Peace,
Steven Chao,
CERMARK

Hi Steve,

It's exciting that a company such as Cermark is helping Dave get his ***** together; his models were second to none. But if what you say is correct can you please reply to the email I sent you 3 days ago regarding a replacement aircraft / parts DPM had promised to send me 2 years ago, which I still haven't received, Mine was damaged in international freight. I hope you will respond and help DPM make amends with one unhappy camper.

You can contact me directly on tiger_lilly@iprimus.com.au

Thanks and kind regards,

James

ProScaleRc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 06:09 PM
  #1097
les40
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 423
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Dave Patrick super cub

I just purchased a used clipped wing version. It's got a First Place Engines 40cc gas engine on it. 52 oz. Is this too much engine?
les40 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:20 PM
  #1098
TripleDeucer
 
TripleDeucer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: College Place, WA
Posts: 527
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Dave Patrick super cub


Quote:
ORIGINAL: les40

I just purchased a used clipped wing version. It's got a First Place Engines 40cc gas engine on it. 52 oz. Is this too much engine?
Les40, I would think that a 40cc engine would be way too much. How is the balance? My buddy flys his Sig Rascal 110" on a Zenoah G26 and it hauls it around with plenty authority. Nowdays most everyone thinks that anything they fly has to "hover" and fly 3D. This might have been the case with your Cub's former owner. If it were mine, I would put the 160 or 182 twin fourstroker on it and have a sweet sounding flyer. I have the OS 160 twin on mine.
TripleDeucer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 04:50 AM
  #1099
Daniel-EL
 
Daniel-EL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Maumee, OH
Posts: 359
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Dave Patrick super cub


Quote:
ORIGINAL: flyn_colorado

Daniel-EL,
Sad to say I have not finished mine yet... Its about 3/4 of the way done... just finished the cockpit last week.... I am way behind! :-) Hope to get her up in the air this spring... Thats my goal anyways! I have been messing around with the Hanger 9 Piper Pawnee latley but back to the DPM Super Cub now! Are you still flying yours?
Just spotted your question, sorry for the delay. My Cub is still in the crate from moving back to the good ol' USA. I've been messing around with a GP RV-4 ARF lately, but I plan to uncrate my Super Cub this summer and get it in the air. I've also got a 1/3 Balsa USA Cub on the bench I'd like to maiden this summer if possible. Lots of wood to glue there. I'm installing a Kavan FK-50 twin in it, just like the original.
Daniel-EL is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:20 PM
  #1100
deadstickdan
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: CAMARILLO, CA
Posts: 249
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Dave Patrick super cub

I know most of you have long ago finished you Super Cubs, but I finally just completed mine this evening. I purchased this Super Cub not long after they first became available. Through job change, a marriage and a move I finally made the time to get 'er done.

The engine is a YS140, servos are Hitec 645MG and the radio is a JR9303. There were several issues that added to the time needed to complete this Cub, but thanks to companies like Fiberglass Specialties and Aerotech I was able to get on the right track to complete the assembly. I just absoloutely love the plane and understand why this Cub has the following it goes.

It's great news about Cermark bringing this Cub back to the market and look forward to seeing the Cub available again. Sure would like to have the CLipped Wing version!! I may attempt the maiden flight tomorrow 6/10 nothing else gets in the way. I did take soome photos this evening and will post them soon.

Dan
deadstickdan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:42 PM.