Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

KMP Cessna Skymaster

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

KMP Cessna Skymaster

Old 07-24-2004, 08:08 AM
Col. Buckshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KMP Cessna Skymaster

Had a look at KMP's Cessna 337, LHS got one in. It looked nice. Good glass work, formers looked like their glued in well enough. The fuselage and tail booms are glass and feel heavy. I can see balancing being a real issue with this one and the rear engine is'nt going to help--time to start weighing engines again I guess. The instruction manual is terrible, more like a Tamiya plastic model than an RC plane. The hardware is all metric. Has anyone else got a look at this puppy yet? Or more important is anyone flying one????
Old 07-24-2004, 04:56 PM
CHEETAH AIRCRAFT
Banned

Default RE: KMP Cessna Skymaster

If you are worried about balance, why not put a larger engine in front. The beauty of this twin is that you do NOT have to have the same size or brand engine front and rear.

Old 07-24-2004, 09:27 PM
Bipe Pilot
My Feedback: (2)

I have not seen the plane up close, but I love it!! If I were to buy one, this would be the one. I have seen the kits of this model and they don't compare to the nic molded parts on this ARF. I did have a club member have a problem with one of KMP's planes. The Corsair! One wing folded up in flight. NO GLUE IN THE WING JOINT.
KMP gave the guy a new plane for his troubble.
Because of that, this is the only one I would buy. The guy stands behind what he sells
A+++ for that
Old 07-25-2004, 01:10 AM
red_z06
My Feedback: (11)

Hi All:

I got mine yesterday. The glasss work on the fuse around windows and wing saddle is wabbly but workable. This one requires little more work than typical GP standard. First of all, it doesn't even come with the wing dowel hole and mating holes in fuse drilled. You have to measure and drill yourself.

It will have Saito 100 twin in the nose and Saito 90 twin in the tail. 100 has flex muffler which is perfect and 90 twin has short bent exhaust tubes which are perfect for the tail.

I'll post some pics later.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:47 AM
red_z06

Default KMP Cessna Skymaster Construction

Modifications

Instruction calls for glueing the wing tubes to the boom/center wing but this is a bad idea if you have wing damage which will bend the tube. Install tubes while glueing the boom but be sure to clear the tube area from getting glued. When dry, remove the tube.

Windows will not fit in the holes provided. It requires quite a bit of dremel work to open the opening to fit windows.

CG is stated at 103mm from leading edge. To do this, you MUST mount the rear throttle servo in the front or in the front firewall. Mount receiver battery in front of the front firewall.

I have 2 Hitec HS81 throttle servos in the front servo bay with link to back engine. With this setup, I had to switch to Sub-C 5 cell receiver pack ( for weight ) and add one 8 cell AA transmitter battery as weight in front of the firewall to balance.

Current Props are APC 14x6 tractor and pusher. Dave Brown 3 1/4 spinners ( back has to be special ordered for pusher cut and lightened )
Nose Gear is Robart Nose Strut.

The plane landed without any effort (total contrast to GP Cessna 182) like a trainer with nose high attitude. Sounds from 4 cylinders are AMAZING!!!
Old 08-04-2004, 10:49 AM
red_z06

Cheeta Aircraft:

Where did your plane balance or how much nose weight did you add?
Old 08-05-2004, 12:15 AM
red_z06

Some pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73827.jpg
Views:	469
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	160732  
Old 08-05-2004, 12:16 AM
red_z06

more

Name:	Yw69249.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	160733  
Old 08-05-2004, 12:18 AM
red_z06

and more

Name:	Ig13409.jpg
Views:	1228
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	160734   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38485.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	160735  
Old 08-05-2004, 07:25 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

Red_Z06,

Have you done any baffling inside of the rear cowl to direct cooling air to the cylinders.

BTW, That is a great choice of engines for that plane!

Could you provide me with the inside dimensions of the front cowl?? I have a Saito 130 Twin I'd like to put in one if it fits. That might eliminate having to add extra dead weight in the nose. If not, I have the 100 Twin and the new design 90 twin I could use. I think I just figured out what I'm going to ask Santa for this Year.

Thanks
Bob
Old 08-05-2004, 07:53 AM
red_z06

The CG setting in the manual is a conservative one. I test flew it again yesterday with 5 oz weight instead of 9oz transmitter battery but no elevator trim change. I then took the extra battery off so I flew it with 5 cell sub-c battery only in the firewall and it flew great with little more pitch sensitivity. I feel the power is just enough to fly around with marginal climb due to heavy wing loading (more than 35oz/sq ft). At less than 1/4 throttle it starts to drop fast. It flies very scale like and sound awesome. However, I would put 2 saito 100s if I do it again for weight sake. 2 saito 100 will give me little more power and weigh 3/4lb less than my setup.

I will be adding rectangular air ports coming out of the rear firewalls to each cylinders as air will just flow around the bottom if I don't.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:13 AM
Meesh

Sounds like my 130 Twin up front and the 100 Twin in the rear would be about right powerwise. If you could get me the distance across the front firewall I would appreciate it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Bob
Old 08-06-2004, 02:01 AM
red_z06

Meesh:

The width across the cowl around where 4 stroke head would sit is 7.5 inches.
Old 08-06-2004, 06:30 AM
Meesh

Red_Z06:

Thanks very much. That's exactly what I needed!
The 130 Twin measures 7.4" across the cylinders. It will just fit without hacking up the cowl.

This Skymaster is definitely on my Christmas list!!!
Old 08-23-2004, 09:47 AM
red_z06

CG recommandation:

I have flown this bird with manual CG of 103mm to 130mm or so ( it flies level inverted without elevator stick pressure at this setting = hairy ). It seems to very stable and happy at 110mm. So, do work so hard to balance at 103mm as it requires TONS of lead in the engine bay.

I don't think the clear paint they used is fuel proof as the surface becomes sticky after 15% fuel use and same after using rubbing alchol.
The wing struts are way too short (1.5" too short) and needs to be extendid to make it work.

Use robart nose gear strut! You will be very happy with it.

Current weight dry without 2 boom hatches, wheel pants, wing struts are at 18lb 4oz.

DO not put any servos in the back!!!! Move everything forward. I moved the rear throttle next to front throttle servo and thinking of moving elevator servo to the wing and possibly doing pull pull on the elevator. This will shed 4oz lead from the nose and possibly more if you can locate this servo forward of CG.

Use wood prop for rear engine instead of APC ( another 1.5oz saving plus matching weight off the nose )

Use smaller fuel tank or fill to 2/3 full as 1/2 tank lasts 15min with Saito 100 twins.

Don't bother with sponge main wheels ( nose ok ) as they are not suitable for 17lb plane. I replaced it with Robart 3 1/4" wheels with foam insert.

Before hinging the flaps, cut additional bevel on the bottom side of the flaps to facilitate more travel.

Name:	By76576.jpg
Views:	630
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	166612  
Old 08-23-2004, 09:54 AM
Meesh

Thanks Red.

Gorgeous plane!
Old 08-23-2004, 11:51 AM
richblin

Hi-
BTW, the flying Skymaster which Cheetah RC posted pictures of here, is mine One observation: why are you guys wanting to put rather big and heavy engines in it?
We have flown the 337 all season with two ASP 91 fourstrokes and APC 14x6 props. It will do all kind of aerobatic maneuvers with ease on these engines - including F3A style giant loops, and it will climb on only one engine running - front or rear. Top speed is way beyond scale! Roll rate is good, inverted flight only needs a bit of down-rudder, spins are uncritical. Flight time at least 15 minutes on 91FS on the the standard tanks.
Rgds
Richard Blindheim
RCFLIGHT
http://www.rc-flight.com
Oslo
Norway
Old 08-23-2004, 11:57 AM
Meesh

I am considering using the Saito 130 twin and the Saito 100 Twin because I have them sitting on the shelf. I'm sure the ASP/Magnum 91FS would be fine. I have a Magnum 160 Twin and I love it.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:19 PM
red_z06

ASP 91 FS weighs 23oz each vs Saito 100 Twin at 29oz each. Yup 3/4lb heavier. I had 1 100 twin and 1 90 twin sitting and would not use these in any of my aerobatic planes for the very reason. However, I'm not looking to do any stall maneuvers with cessna's but looking for more scale and realism. BTW, I have replaced Saito 90 twin in the back with 100 twin as the 90 twin died and no parts avail from Horizon. Once you hear 2 twin 4 stroke running up the engine for takeoff, you will be convinced this is only way to go ( provided you can afford ).

On top of realism in awesome sound (best if 2 identical engines are used and in near identical rpm) your airframe will appreciate it as it produces significantly less engine vibration ( provided props and spinners are also balanced).

Mass center ratio of front to back engine wrt CG is 1.5:1. What this means is that 50% of the engine weight contributes to balancing and correcting the tail heavy situation. If the front engine is closer to cg than rear, then the reverse is true and using heavyier engines will cause more tail heavy situation.

It appears that Saito 100 twin is far superio to 100 single in fuel consumption as 15min flight results in 1/2 tank consumption with stock fuel tank.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:48 PM
red_z06

I will keep the video file for a short while so click to view. Comments are welcome.

http://www.bsc-engineering-usa.com/K...Saito_100T.avi

The file s 47mb so be patient until all is downloaded and the movie starts.

If you don't have divx codec installed, click below and download the free codec before viewing.

http://www.divx.com/divx/windows/
Old 08-26-2004, 02:43 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Dude, great video!! It makes me want to get one now! The biggest thing stopping me was being at their US office and seeing first hand how nothing fit, and the poor quality.. But Im sure that has gotten better since then. (6mo or so ago)

I tried to contact them a couple weeks ago about the Bronco and other planes, but never got a reply... so.....
Old 08-26-2004, 03:22 PM
red_z06

John:

The fit is is prob same as when you've seen it. In other words, don't expect Great Planes quality. I had to dremel out window openings (about 1/32") all around to get the windows to fit. The struts are about 1" too short. I'm getting an extra strut sent so I can cut and splice to lengthen it so I can fit. If you love this plane and aviomodelli or marutaka kits are too much work, then this is your choice. Read between the lines....
Old 08-26-2004, 03:23 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, thats what I figured.. Definately not cool to have some of those problems, with any model..
Old 08-26-2004, 03:24 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with John on this one, I am looking at the Bronco for a winter project. Possibly the B-25 as well Time and the wallet will tell.. :0

does anyone know if it comes in any other scheme besides the blue/white one? id lve to have something different i.e yellow/white or red/white

matt
Old 08-26-2004, 08:37 PM
AKondor

Hello everyone:

We do our best to put out original, high quality subjects. The Cessna 337 is no different. Where else will you find a fiberglass plane of this size, all laser cut, no foam anywhere in the plane, no seams anywhere and an impeccable finish. I will any day of the week stand beind the product we sell. I would go as far as saying that our planes have the best fiberglass finish in the industry.

This all being said, I will also agree with those who say that our manuals need improvement. Things such as pre drilled allignment holes for dowels are nice to have but lets face it these planes are also not for beginners. I will be passing the suggestion on to the factory to have these allignment holes pre drilled wherever possible. We actually encourage feedback from customers positive or negative.....this is how we make better planes!

Should anyone have any questions please feel free to call or e-mail us. We have two toll free numbers for calling as well as toll free fax numbers. For those too shy to call we have an e-mail address as well.

888-761-0500 (pacific time) Matt Roman - US sales manager
888-968-7251 (eastern time) Andrew Kondor - President
web site: www.kmp.ca
e-mail [email protected] or [email protected]

Cheers,

Andrew Kondor
PS: We've achieved a pretty high level of quality for a samll company who's been around for just over 1 year. Imagine what we could do if we had the staff and experience and budget that GP has.......

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.