Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Funtana 90 no Fun!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Funtana 90 no Fun!

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 05:43 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: Funtana 90 no Fun!

Oh Dicky, your my hero. Let it go!
ORIGINAL: Dick T.

I am currently assembling a FuntanaS 90 and will power it with Horizon's new Evolution 100 engine. A thorough inspection of all components did not reveal any of the issues mentioned in this thread, and if there were any, I would have fixed them and moved on.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:32 AM
rsrogers
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: a10hog

Does anyone see an aircraft in this photo....
Do they call them aircraft now?? I thought they were silicon vessels!!!
Old 10-28-2004, 10:52 AM
bentgear

a10hog,

Yep, and you didn't even post one of the better ones................

Ed M.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:06 AM
a10hog
My Feedback: (28)

Is that 100cc or 150cc size....
Old 10-28-2004, 11:18 AM
SnApRoLl--

ORIGINAL: a10hog : Does anyone see an aircraft in this photo.....
Thats a beautiful model ,oh yeah nice airplane too
Old 10-28-2004, 11:25 AM
STEVE LENZ
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think is is a knocker Cardin.
Old 10-28-2004, 11:53 AM
drumbum
My Feedback: (1)

wonder if they are set up in mode 1 or mode 2

Hold on.. that was FMS`s beta Co-pilot. but too many people were crashing.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:08 PM
Brave Gary

Could someone tell us how to set thoseup so we wont get flutter!
Old 10-28-2004, 12:30 PM
a10hog

ORIGINAL: Brave Gary

Could someone tell us how to set thoseup so we wont get flutter!

A little CA, two vertical braces, and a lot of inspecting. Oh yea don’t fly too fast and Never over power.[8D]
Old 10-28-2004, 01:07 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Let what go?

Readers need to hear both sides of the FuntanaS 90 issues in order to make informed decisions, not just the poor pitiful me side.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:31 PM
sensei

I have gone back and looked through this entire thread, and it is pretty easy to see that you have set yourself up as an authority on the Funtana 90. Many of your posts have been condescending, and negative to-wards the folks that have purchased, assembled, and lost there aircraft due to structural failure, induced by flutter. Yes horizon is a very, respectable company, and I know they are working hard to correct the problem, as well as replacing damaged airplanes from these failures. however you imply that most of what has happened to these guys, has been self induced. The fact is the lightning holes in the ribs are too close to one another, and with the grain running lengthwise the holes, by accident they have become fusible links. If you twist the wing slightly by hand, you can see the crack open up. Now, Most probable chain of events. 1 Normal flight mode will twist the wing when the ailerons are deflected, 2 cracked ribs, 3 loss of servo rail integrity, 4 flutter mode, 5 structural failure, 6 end of story. IMO, the best fix would be to uncover this area on the wing bottom, and bond thin doubler ribs, with the grain running the opposite direction. the next best fix is too coat the ribs in question with thin CA. What this does is raise the modulus of the balsa, so it can handle the the twisting loads without cracking at the weakest link, in this case, "The Fusible Link" I have many very hard flights on mine without any troubles, I did however run CA on these ribs that did crack, just like everyone else's. Now, LET IT GO!

Bob Sawyer

P.S. I already know that proper setup, and throttle management comes into play, adequate servos, ball ends, rigid push-rods, and horns, mechanical gearing from servo output arms to control horns, and bla, bla, bla.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:49 PM
a10hog

ORIGINAL: Dick T.

Aren't we taking this a bit personal?

In case you didn't notice I am being constructive by outlining some causes of flutter so those interested in preventing it can learn something. Shedding a tear and being golly woggled by hobby shop connections might make a response politically correct but it doesn't answer questions nor delve into the root cause.

Perhaps your Funtana was one of the few experiencing manufactured structural failure. Horizon will make that assessment from the pieces and determine if that is the case. More than likely they will exercise their liberal replacement policy to keep everyone happy.

Vast hobby shop connections plus a list of experience and toys does not make one an expert in all aspects of this hobby. Aerodynamics is a science. Some modelers learn and apply appropriate components, others could care less.

I still stand on my "So what" as the original post told us what happened then bashed Hangar 9. Nothing of substance in determining what initiated the failure.

It is correct folks get frustrated with RCU as it has become a whining board for fragile egos. Bob has it right about the mullet percentage but they are an entertaining lot.

I think Bob's post is constructive, something of substance, and answers your So what statement. Dick if you are not one with a fragile ego, then let it go.[sm=confused.gif][sm=eek.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=biggrin.gif]
Old 10-28-2004, 05:11 PM
Dick T.

ORIGINAL: sensei

The fact is the lightning holes in the ribs are too close to one another, and with the grain running lengthwise the holes, by accident they have become fusible links. If you twist the wing slightly by hand, you can see the crack open up. Now, Most probable chain of events. 1 Normal flight mode will twist the wing when the ailerons are deflected, 2 cracked ribs, 3 loss of servo rail integrity, 4 flutter mode, 5 structural failure, 6 end of story. IMO, the best fix would be to uncover this area on the wing bottom, and bond thin doubler ribs, with the grain running the opposite direction. the next best fix is too coat the ribs in question with thin CA. What this does is raise the modulus of the balsa, so it can handle the the twisting loads without cracking at the weakest link, in this case, "The Fusible Link" I have many very hard flights on mine without any troubles, I did however run CA on these ribs that did crack, just like everyone else's. Now, LET IT GO!
I agree with your analysis, sequence and recommendations for anyone who is unsure about their Funtanas' wings. Some of this structural damage is from less than adequate packing and /or some balsa ribs being too soft to withstand the stress. Your comments are "facts" for this thread. Additionally, a thorough examination prior to and after assembly, plus after flights will undoubtedly uncover issues and prevent total destruction. These are steps everyone should take with any model, unfortunately some don't.

ORIGINAL: sensei

I have gone back and looked through this entire thread, and it is pretty easy to see that you have set yourself up as an authority on the Funtana 90. Many of your posts have been condescending, and negative to-wards the folks that have purchased, assembled, and lost there aircraft due to structural failure, induced by flutter. Yes horizon is a very, respectable company, and I know they are working hard to correct the problem, as well as replacing damaged airplanes from these failures. however you imply that most of what has happened to these guys, has been self induced.
It continues to amaze me the name calling some folks resort to, or plainly fabricate, just because they disagree with questions asked to separate the facts from the BS. Questions determine how the failures occur and what can be done to prevent them. That includes knowing where/what the owner may or may not have contributed in the process. Some do everything right and still encounter problems...so then what did fail and how can we fix it?

If RCU's Moderators consider me out of line, I will let it go! Otherwise my questions, to get all sides of the story, will continue.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:47 PM
drumbum

well this thread is going in an odd direction,,,
Old 10-28-2004, 06:50 PM
rsrogers
My Feedback: (10)

sensei I totally agree with your last post. If I would have re inforced my ribs I dont think it would have happened to me & I think it happened it just the order you mentioned.

If you go to the thread on the GSP Katana there was a simular problem with wing structure but not in the form of flutter. The shear webbing in the wings had the grain running the wrong way. What did it do? Just as the F. 90 if the wing got a little but of a load on it -POP - there she goes. Only most of them were more fortunate than F. 90 owners
Old 10-28-2004, 09:44 PM
sensei

Look, It is a design flaw in choice of materials, and rib design that has compromised the the structure in this particular aircraft, causing probably 95% of there wing failures. Most guys I know, do perform post, and pre flights before take-off, and after landings. I can't remember even one pilot, in the last, nearly four decades that has removed the covering as part of each post or pre flight, to failsafe design flaws within the structure. In the case of the Funtana, you can see through the bottom of the wing, making this very easy to detect any discrepancy's. This still does not dismiss the fact, that there is an obvious design flaw, responsible for the failures! Heaven forbid, if they began to cover the bottom of the wings in something we couldn't see through, without changing the the rib design. We would all have to start performing those D check inspections before and after each flight. Now, I have not called you any names, and asking questions is a perfectly normal thing, however Its not so much as to what you ask, but the way you ask.[>:] Just go back and read your posts.
Old 10-28-2004, 10:07 PM
52jaws
My Feedback: (65)

[sm=angry.gif]If you guys want this post to go in a different direction, then "QUIT TALKING OR COMMENTING ABOUT DICK T. "
After reading all these posts I simply can't see where anything he has asked is invalid. As a matter of fact these are questions we should all be asking!!!!! Some of you ARE taking this a bit personel! There was NO name calling![X(]
He DOESN'T show a fragile ego![>:] The questions and comments he has posted have been nothing short of constructive!! [sm=thumbup.gif] I'm a clutz and hammered my finger today with a hammer. Did I call Stanley or Bosch and cry about the fact that this hammers grip was slick and slipped. NO. I beared the pain for being stupid and said "Well I should have known better".
Just because he can write and speak with better vocabulary than most of the rest of us is no reason to get intimidated and put our "dukes up" [sm=punching.gif]on the defense.

So.
Can everyone shut the @#$% about DICK T. and move on with the post.
Thank you
52 JAWS

P.S.
Are most of you Democrats?
Just seem like it,thats all.[sm=bananahead.gif]
Old 10-29-2004, 12:02 AM
Brave Gary

Sensi,

Going back to what I said back in one of my earlier quotes, Hanger 9 does need to have someone do a better job at quality assesment. I had one of the first Cap 232's with a Satio 180 on it (you flew on the first day). I did pull all of the covering off and reglue every glue joint and made sure the wing was strong because of the problems others had. I should have done the same with the Funtana. I thought fixing the problem with a doubler was enough but I quess not. Thanks for your support in this.

Let us all know how the Yak is.

Gary

Jaws Do you have a Funtana or know of anyone with one? If not leave this thread for those of us that do.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:02 AM
bentgear

52jaws, if I could stop laughing long enuff I would just say pass the popcorn and welcome to the .......

Thanks, we all needed a little reality check.

Ed M.
Old 10-29-2004, 12:07 AM
Dick T.

This hobby is rift with arm chair designers and Monday morning quarterbacks who have all the answers as to where the designer or manufacturer went wrong but never an answer as to where they may have erred.

I openly admit I went wrong in this thread trying to get facts about Funtana failures rather than holding the hand of those providing only poor pitiful me stories. In other words, how uncouth it is of me to ask for specifics while you blubber in your beer!

I need not reread my posts to determine if I am being condescending or negative towards others as it is not so. I'm not here to sooth someone's inadequacies because they take it that way. If kissing up with sweet talk is the only language allowed then any real discussion never occurs.

Some here need to take their own advice and "let it go" as they can't handle the challenge of separating real and perceived failures of some FuntanaS 90's. It's just easier to place the blame elsewhere. Many choose to ignore there are hundreds (possibly thousands) of FuntanaS 90's holding together just fine around the free world so why the only presumption it is a flawed design ? Manufacturing defects, packing and shipping damage and modeler handling, inclusively or collectively, can destroy the model. The question is "why" so it can be fixed without reengineering it into a toady bullet proof model for dunderheads.

Horizon is taking care of most everyone, including those who screwed up the Funtana themselves. You can almost bet this will be the last lightweight, $200.00 ARF bargain we will see from any manufacturer. As usual, the dorks mess it up for everyone.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:39 AM
52jaws
My Feedback: (65)

Brave Gary[sm=redface.gif]
Yes as a matter of fact I am almost finished with mine as of this writing.(See Photos below for PROOF MAN)[sm=punching.gif]
And guess what? [sm=confused.gif]Other than the throttle servo I am using metal geared Hitec 5945 digitals on 6 volts.That means over 180 oz. of torque per servo. I also braced the tail with wire. [sm=redface.gif]
Oh, and by the way. I have a Webra 120 in it.[:-]
So I guess other than my possible engine choice, nothing should go wrong, right?[sm=stupid.gif] After all, I have been building airplanes since before the Wright Bros. and I exceeded the manufacturers specs so it should all be bullet proof, right??? Huh. Right.[sm=stupid.gif]Oh, Oh and I am afilliated with one hobby shop locally so I know that doesn't make me as experienced as some of you who are afilliated with 2 or more but Hey!! I'm trying.[]
You know the fact of the matter is,as Dick T. noted. This airplane could go up for one flight and explode as if there were a grenade in it and I would probably wonder what the heck " I " did wrong!!![X(] After all it is just a $200 airplane. I couldn't buy all the crap to fabricate this airplane for that much. This airplane is designed for slow flight (A.K.A. 3-D) and is for the experienced flyer not first time 3-D er. It will have to be landed gently and flown with throttle management. Now if an individual can't make these assesments from the moment they pick up the parts and look this kit over[sm=idea.gif] then it is not the right airplane for them, which seems to be a good portion of the posts here.[:'(]
Lets face it.
This just might be too much airplane for some of you, not to mention this hobbie alltogether.

Now, I hope to fly my "Funtana 120" this weekend and I hope I manage the throttle well because if I don't my Webra will pull itself out of that firewall and leave me with a "Funglider". And we all know that Real airplanes have engines now don't we?
All the above is just my opinion by the way,don't expect anyone to agree or like it.[sm=bananahead.gif]
Don't really care anyway.
Good luck to all and their Floptanas, oops I mean Funtanas.
Later
52 JAWS

P.S. Aren't these little faces fun!!!!!!!!!!!!![sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Good night girls
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48582.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	187727   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81611.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	187728   Click image for larger version

Name:	To44259.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	187729   Click image for larger version

Name:	If10607.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	147.8 KB
ID:	187730  
Old 10-29-2004, 06:55 AM
a10hog

ORIGINAL: 52jaws

[sm=angry.gif]If you guys want this post to go in a different direction, then "QUIT TALKING OR COMMENTING ABOUT DICK T. "
After reading all these posts I simply can't see where anything he has asked is invalid. As a matter of fact these are questions we should all be asking!!!!! Some of you ARE taking this a bit personel! There was NO name calling![X(]
He DOESN'T show a fragile ego![>:] The questions and comments he has posted have been nothing short of constructive!! [sm=thumbup.gif] I'm a clutz and hammered my finger today with a hammer. Did I call Stanley or Bosch and cry about the fact that this hammers grip was slick and slipped. NO. I beared the pain for being stupid and said "Well I should have known better".
Just because he can write and speak with better vocabulary than most of the rest of us is no reason to get intimidated and put our "dukes up" [sm=punching.gif]on the defense.

So.
Can everyone shut the @#$% about DICK T. and move on with the post.
Thank you
52 JAWS

P.S.
Just seem like it,thats all.[sm=bananahead.gif]
Intimidated I’m not, happy with his abilities to write are as well as he does, yes, pleased with his statements, no. But that is the beauty of this web site.

You are right this post has taken an extreme turn, " [quote]ORIGINAL: 52jaws P.S.
Just seem like it,thats all.[sm=bananahead.gif]"
Old 10-29-2004, 08:25 AM
jhogie31
My Feedback: (4)

AHA!!

See Dick. YOU have kept up the name calling. I have had several run ins with you throughout this thread. In this last post of yours, YOU did the name calling.

Yes, horizon took care of most of the costs that I incurred with this plane. No, I will not buy another one, nor will I put together the replaced one. I believe there are several OTHER manufacturers of ARF type planes that do not require you to uncover your wing and make repairs before you build them. THIS PLANE SUCKS!!! I dont care if you wont admit this. I have just put together a 1.20 size stearman from great planes, and a U-can-Do .60 from great planes, and guess what; I DID NOT HAVE TO REENFORCE ANYTHING!!!!!!!!

I guess I know something about flying as well, because I did the same maneuvers with BOTH of these planes as I did with theFuntana and NEITHER BROKE APART IN THE AIR.

SUGESTION TO ALL> BUY A SIG KIT OR A GREAT PLANES KIT BEFORE YOU EVEN CONSIDER A HORIZON PRODUCT!!!!!!!!! NEITHER OF THESE REQUIRED ANY EXTRA CURRICULAR BUILDING ACTIVITIES.

Your engines and servos will thank you later for not planting them into the ground.

Thanks DICK!!!!
Old 10-29-2004, 09:09 AM
bentgear

Dick T.
Horizon is taking care of most everyone, including those who screwed up the Funtana themselves. You can almost bet this will be the last lightweight, $200.00 ARF bargain we will see from any manufacturer. As usual, the dorks mess it up for everyone.
Dick, lets hope not. For years everyone has been *****ing about heavy overbuilt arf's. Make it lighter, Make it lighter. We also want to do 3D. Need it to land like a trainer. Etc. Recently we have seen more and more manufacturers start to answer the challenge. What do they get, "you built a piece of crap".

I'm beginning to think H9 should have built it at around 12 lbs. so that the only ***** would have been how heavy it is and how bad it flies. But at least then it could have been taken out of the box, thrown together any old way, with any combination of servo, linkage, motor and joined the circle flying crowd.
Ed M.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:16 AM
bentgear

jhogie31, you wouldn't happen to be coming down to the Blaine Austin 3D flyin in Merigold in about 2 weeks would you? I know you have already gotten rid of yours and got a UCD60, but I will be glad to bring mine and you are welcome to have a go at the sticks. BTW, did you know that when the UCD 60 came out it was a POS because the wings were coming out of the box broken. Think about that one for a minute.

Ed M.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.