Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Electrajet - Last minute tips needed

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Electrajet - Last minute tips needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 12:15 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Electrajet - Last minute tips needed

I finally built the Electrajet today. I am just finishing up the electroncis. I hope to try the first flights this weekend.

Any last minute tips?

I would like more info on where people are putting the CG. The marks seem to be further back than the instructions indicate is correct.

Help!

Also, how do you have your components laid out inside the plane?
Old 09-01-2003, 02:04 AM
aeajr

Finally took my first haulting attempts at flying my newly completed electrajet.

Before the first flight I did some reinforcement as per advice from many posters on other forums.

I embedded a hollow carbon arrow shaft inside the nose by slicing off the nose tip, drilling in from the nose and sliding in the arrow shaft which was coated with epoxy, then capped that off. I also embedded carbon shafts along either side of the top of the electronics bay, about 4 inches long. These are the two enhancements people have recommended, and these arrow shafts weigh nothing.

I have made 4 flight attempts over two days followed by epoxy.

The first day I cart wheeled it and ripped one elevon out and cracked off one tail fin. Nothing serious. Fixed these that evening.

Second day attempt, on the second flight, on climb out I over rotated and took it into the ground inverted. The plane seems very unstable.

I cracked the nose, which surprised me considering the reinforcements I had made. When I went to fix it i found it cracked right at the end of the embedded carbon rod and just before the two on the top of the equipment bay. I thought I had overlapped them and it turned out I was short by an inch. Rats!

So I fixed the break and added another shaft embedded but visable, along the bottom. It now overlaps the top shafts and the embedded shaft. I cleared foam away so that the bottom and front rods are epoxied together and overlap around an inch. I will see how this works for reinforcement. I now have a carbon spine running from nose tip to just before the bottom fin.

A little too much breeze and my lack of aileron/elevon experience may have been the casue of all these crashes. However, I think I may also be too tail heavy. I balanced on the molded in marks, but the measurements shown in the manual suggest that those marks may be too far to the rear. This would certainly explain the stability problem which I thought was me, but may not have been.

I may also have too much deflection on the surfaces. I set the rod on the top hole of the control horn which should give me the shortest deflection, but didn't actually measure it. I will check that today.

This is my first non-RTF so I am new to everything. I have an Aerobird RTF and a Spirit Sailplane, also RTF.

How do you set the elevon deflection? I have a computer radio, Hitec Prism 7X, but I am totally new with it. I know I can set the deflection using the Prism, but if I didn't have a computer radio, how would I adjust the deflection to factory specs with a standard radio? Would I have to bend the control rod or something?

Also, has anyone removed the two tail fins? They look to be non-functional, appearence only, and one of them is getting pretty banged up. Can I fly without them, or shorten them? Just wondering.

I appreciate any advice that is offered.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:01 PM
aeajr

I am setting up the Electrajet which has an e-flite 16 amp speed control.

The low voltage cut off doesn't seem to be functioning. I was doing some testing in the house to see what kind of battery run I should expect. I expected the motor to cut off around 6 or 7 minutes, but at 9 minutes the blade was turning very slowly. Clearly the low voltage cut off did not kick in.

There were no instructions for setting up the ESC. Where can I get instructions for this ESC. e-flite efla100.

Or, can you advise me what I should do? Is there a set-up procedure I need to follow?

Perhaps the ESC is defective.

Thanks for your help.