Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Giant Scale Super Chipmunk 1.20 ARF

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Great Planes Giant Scale Super Chipmunk 1.20 ARF

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 09:45 AM
carlbecker
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Giant Scale Super Chipmunk 1.20 ARF

Brian,
This would even allow a 45 oz Moki 180. I have one in a 1/3 Pitts at 15 or so pounds. Nice power to weight ratio and very smoooooth! Should be no problems at all.

I have a OS 160 and Moki 180. Now do I really want one of these. I think Great Planes make very good ARF's

Carl
Old 10-04-2004, 06:02 PM
johnhardy1

I've got a Moki 2.1 that could go in it......but will it fit under under the cowl ?

Will be interesting to hear AUW's and how it balances out with heavier engines.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:34 AM
carlbecker

I have not measured the height of a Moki 180 but its seems much taller than the OS 160 which is very compact. The manual shows a side mounted OS 120 FS and a cut out in the cowl. I would bet the OS 160 would fit under but the Moki would require cutting. In my opinion the Moki 180 is a bit much and it is probably possible to get good performance from a Moki 135. The OS 160 ought to give great performance.

Carl
Old 10-05-2004, 01:57 PM
apalsson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carl,

If the cowl is scale, an inverted Moki 1.8 will fit completely inside the cowl. If you have a BCM muffler like I use, you need to cut a bit for the muffler. A nice wraparound inverted muffler would disappear completely inside the cowl with only the exhaust stacks showing
Old 10-05-2004, 11:18 PM
Capt G
My Feedback: (8)

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm planning a YS 1.40 - probably side mounted and a smoke system. I also noticed they added 20oz lead to the nose with an OS 1.20.
Old 10-06-2004, 12:24 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

20 oz of lead is a lot of dead weight ... I am flying my WM Chipmunk with a ST90 so I wonder how the GP one can fly with a 90 2C ...
Old 10-06-2004, 07:49 AM
carlbecker

Looks like this plane has lots of engine options. If / when my Pitts bits the dirt and I'm feeling cocky I just might have to try the Chipmunk with the Moki. With the battery up front might not have to add any weight at all. I'm truly amazed at how smooth running the Moki is. It should not stress the firewall from vibrations at all. I would still be carefull with the throttle, its a very powerful engine. I would image long flights at 1/4 throttle.

I guess it will be soon when some one gets one in the air. Be sure to fill us in.

Carl

To many planes, not enough _________
Old 10-06-2004, 06:21 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

The 160FX is very smooth also. OS did a great job on that engine, I think it is one of thier best.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:06 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

Maiden flight this past weekend with the "Chippy", flew virtually perfect right off the board. A little right and down trim was all it needed. A friend built it for ma in trade for a plane I gave hime, anyway Saito 1.80, 18x6 prop, flew great, but I guess the Saito burns fuel pretty darn fast, I made several apporaches and all were coming in very fast, even dropped the flaps but I had not dialed in any down elevator, so after 5 or 6 missed approaches, I got caught downwind trying to go around and the engine ran out of fuel, tried to turn her back into the field and stalled it about 2 or 3 feet off the deck. If I had more throw on ailrons I think I could have squared her up, and sat it down. Cowl is busted up, and one wheel paint and LG block came out. Engines is wobblying around, looks like the e/m bolts to the firewall broke. Will pull the cowl later, didn't feel like fooling with it yesterday...but she did fly good. Just gotta work on the 1.80's idle now...
Old 09-25-2007, 08:53 AM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

Well I brought the Chippy home after the "rough landing" , and noticed the engine wobbling around, I had to go to Los Angeles on business for two weeks, when I returned, I pulled the cowl of, and NO screws were holding the engine mounts to the firewall. NONE! All were gone. The fuel line was hooked up, and throttle pushrod. Fuel was leaking out the tank line, so at least some fuel was left over. I think the engine bolts came loose (remember I did not build the airplane) and perhaps were not tight to begin with or no loctite was used. Anyway cowl looks rough, getting a new one from Tower, but overall firewall and fuse are in great shape.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:12 PM
thetireman1
My Feedback: (5)

I need a tail set for this plane. Mine got damaged. Please call 919 730-9013.