Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Pacific Aeromodel

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Pacific Aeromodel

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2002, 06:41 PM
Hanger Rat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pacific Aeromodel

Has anybody any experience with this manufacturer and their ARF 120 model Tiger moth. Would an OS 91 4 stroke pull it around? And how does it fly? Would appreciate any and all feedback.
They also advertise a ARC model. Any good?
Old 08-03-2002, 08:46 PM
PHILLCO
My Feedback: (6)

A FELLOW FLIER HAS ONE WITH A SAITO 91. I FLEW IT A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO AND IT FLEW OK. IMO FOR THE TYPE OF AIRPLANE THE 91 F/S WORKS FINE. HOPE THIS HELPS.
Old 08-03-2002, 09:19 PM
Marino420TD
My Feedback: (1)

I purchased a trainer from them and was very disappointed. This is the first plane I have ever owned and the instruction manual was very poor. It was nothing more than photocopies with poor photographs. Some of the instructions were even incorrect. I did not discover these mistakes until I had already put some holes in my plane.
Old 08-03-2002, 11:12 PM
Taildragger
My Feedback: (204)

The instructions would be somewhat lacking for the novice builder and even lack a little for the old farts like me but the quality of the work in this kit more than make up for the pitfalls. I am putting one together currently but have not flown it yet. Installing a 120 on mine. Bill
Old 08-04-2002, 06:04 AM
ChinookPilot

Default PacAero Tiger Moth

Hi Hangar Rat et al,

I recently completed and have flown the large Tiger Moth (military colors) with a YS 1.20 FZ engine. This is more than enough motor for this plane, but since I generally prefer excess power anyway, this combo works very well.

Yes, the instructions are very sparse and, in some ways, misleading. Taildragger has a good handle on the situation though. The quality of workmanship, materials used, and degree of prefabrication is outstanding. It's the most completed ARF that I have ever assembled! If you have ever assembled an ARF prior to this, you will get through this one very well. Just take your time and "think" before you glue, cut or screw.

The plane flys very well. Mine is still a little nose heavy, but is very stable although it wants to "nose over" on take off if you are flying off of grass and do not hold a little "up elevator". It is stable in cruise configuration and does all the basic maneuvers well (especially since I have an excess of power with the YS 1.20). The plane slows well on the landing approach and does not exhibit much of a tendancy to drop a wing when flow very slowly.

I have only a few flights on the bird so far due to time constraints, etc., but am planning to fly again tomorrow. I think you will really enjoy this airplane. It also gets a lot of attention at the field due to its size, color scheme, and all those flying wires.

Sam
Old 08-04-2002, 08:22 AM
Jimmy Bananas
My Feedback: (13)

I purchased a Gee Bee Y from this outfit and the quality of this model,in regards to instructions,photos , and the model itself are excellent...Of course the instructions mention that this model is for the experince builder, this is very true..Being in this hobby for 39 yrs, ( R/C),so I believe that makes me a member of Taildraggers " Old Farts Club"......O well,such is life.........Just take your time when building, read the instructions, and the results are very rewarding.....Cheers
Old 08-04-2002, 09:43 AM
Hanger Rat

Thanks guys for the feed back. I was primary concerned with the quality of the kit and you seem to think it is up to par. This model also comes in ARC mode. The difference in price is only about $40 or so and to buy the covering myself would cost about $25 but I have this thing about vintage airplanes. I just don't like the idea of a Tiger Moth covered in shiny plastic. I am going to buy the ARC model and cover it with Worldtex which IMHO is the best fabric covering. Probably blue fusalage and silver wings. Enginewise I I will try an OS 91 4S because I have one on hand but if I can find a 120 at a reasonable price I will take it.
Thanks again.