Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New Miss America P-51... I saw one today

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New Miss America P-51... I saw one today

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 07:44 AM
MormonMike
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Miss America P-51... I saw one today

On second thought, The 2300 might be too big to fit. Will try OS 1.08 and see what happens. MM
Old 10-07-2004, 03:57 PM
bearcatf8
My Feedback: (4)

P-51B : The Miss A is the third Mustang from Hanger 9 I've had ,the first one I flew till it was worn out. the second one is in the pictures below. The third one will be flown this week end . The retracts are much tighter than the others ,I use a Saito 100 in both of them. The B model is FAST ,I think it has less drag. The spinner on Miss A is a C B acces. which I painted blue to match the Ultra Coat on the nose. Cant wait to get her in the air!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu59482.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	180571   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26533.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	180572  
Old 10-07-2004, 08:33 PM
evfast
My Feedback: (31)

Hey Graucho Fan wich Hobby shop? I will pick it up for 209.00

thanks
Old 10-08-2004, 11:35 AM
yard-dart
My Feedback: (35)

I was thinking seriously about buying one, but there were a couple of factors I was considering. I fly off of grass, and the strip is pretty smoothe. I wasn't quite sure if the retracts would hold up to the slight roughness of the grass. The wheel size bothered me too. From the way I understand it, the plane comes with 2" wheels. That seems pretty small. I thought that maybe they could be changed out for larger ones, but then wondered if they would fit in the preinstalled wheel wells. I had also heard that the plane wants to nose over pretty easily during taxi, even with full up elevator (which may have something to do with the small wheels).

I'm definately not trying to find flaws in the plane, I'd just like to know what others think about the potential problems I've listed. I would very much like to own this plane, but I just don't want to constantly attend to it while on the ground.

Feedback please.

John
Old 10-08-2004, 12:51 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

bearcatf8,

That B conversion is awesome! Great job. Did you form the canopy yourself or is that from a different plane?
Old 10-08-2004, 01:02 PM
bearcatf8

I used a conversion kit from Top Flight. You can get a canopy from them and possible a conversion plan . For Yard-dart I fly off a grass field and theres not much of a problem of nose overs ,only when you taxi back to the pits and the wind gets behind it. The gear is too far aft , the tail is light and causes this problem.[8D]
Old 10-08-2004, 08:50 PM
rcflyertwo
My Feedback: (3)

[8D] Horizon hobbies says no spinner or pilot figure with the Miss America. They are recommending the tru turn tru3500 series spinner, aluminum in 3.5 width and length. 60 bucks without the adapter [:'(] kinda pricey to me, but it has the look needed, I may go to the world models site and see what they are getting for a plastic one, no idea for a pilot figure, I kinda like the idea of blacking out the canopy. I ordered mine today, would love some feedback from anyone who has started to built thiers. pics would be nice toooo if you have em. thanks Butch in Niagara Falls
Old 10-10-2004, 03:25 AM
Stick Jammer

Dave Brown 3 1/2" parabolic, $28.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXRX31&P=0
Old 10-10-2004, 12:27 PM
rcflyertwo

[8D]thanks for the link, i like it!! will see if my local hobby shop can get it before I order it online. thanks Butch in Niagara Falls
Old 10-11-2004, 07:55 AM
MormonMike

I know I'm going to catch hell on this one cause I never learn to keep my mouth shut but...... $60 bucks for the spinner? the last one I bought when H-9 came out with their first P-51 was only about $40. [ A Tru-Turn] That was not long ago. I know, I know, what business do I have buying the plane in the first place if I'm too cheap to buy the accessories for it. Im not being cheap, its just that some of the add-ons simply are not worth the money when you see what your getting. Wont any one agree with me that manufacturers are charging not for what the item is really worth but rather how much they can just get out of it. [ "The Greed-Factor" ] OK, guys, Rip me a new one, I'm man enough to take it. And yes, That would include you, " F4WildcatAce " and any of your remarks. MM[&o]
Old 10-11-2004, 08:39 AM
rcflyertwo

[8D]I have to agree Mike, there is a perfect example right here in this forum. A Dave Brown spinner is 28 bucks while a tru turn is 58 bucks, both aluminum, both look about the same to me. so what makes tru turn worth 30 bucks more??? I have to get the most for my hard earned dollars the 30 dollar difference will keep me in fuel for a month or two, know what I mean. Butch in Niagara Falls
Old 10-11-2004, 09:09 AM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree to a point that a lot of what we buy is a bit over priced, but there ARE different manufacturing techniques that can account for some things.

For example, Tru-Turn spinners (if I'm not mistaken) are turned from High-Grade Bar Stock aluminum. The others may be "Spun" aluminum, which is a much less expensive process. Spun aluminum is not as high quality as products turned from Bar Stock, but then, they are certainly good enough.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:47 AM
MormonMike

Thanks guys, for a while I thought I was "dead meat''. Yes the Dave Brown spinner will do fine. A silly remark, The higher the cost of spinner, the higher the chance of a "nose-over", or am I just imagining things again. OK enough, now something serious. Where can I find a tailwheel close to scale that can be mounted and made to work right where a real P-51 tailwheel goes. Does'nt have to retract, just functional. The one that comes with the ARF looks pretty dumb. I'm sure something better can be found. Any tips please. And yes, the tinted canopy looks a lot better. Thanks, MM
Old 10-11-2004, 01:07 PM
Mettler1

Mike, apparently enough people disagree with you to keep Tru-Turn in business. Tru-Turn puts out a quality product that people are willing to pay for. That's called free enterprise. Don't put down Tru-Turn just because you are unwilling to pay the price. Just go buy something less expensive.That's called free enterprise also.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:50 PM
Harry Lagman

I've joined the fray - I placed my order yesterday.

Thread subscribed and locked in!
Old 10-11-2004, 08:07 PM
Groucho fan

If you're ever in the Minneapolis area, Hobby Warehouse in Richfield Mn. has this airplane for $209.99. Their website address is www.hobbywarehouses.com.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:41 AM
rcflyertwo

[8D]Ok so now we have the spinner questions solved. Is anyone actually building or flying this yet???[sm=confused.gif] Anyone have any building or flying set up tips??? How about some construction photo's??? I see there are a few building correction tips on horizon's website about this plane. I should have mine by the end of the week and would love some first hand tips. thanks Butch in Niagara Falls
Old 10-12-2004, 10:57 AM
MormonMike

RCflyer, Patience please. The "day" job takes up a lot of time we'd normally put into building time. As explained earlier, Its a good ARF. But, you must reinforce the firewall for heavy-duty. I see that H-9 is still using the hot glue method. Go over it with fiberglass and 3/4 ounce glass. Make sure you cut half inch long lengths of 1/4 inch dowel and go all around the firewall inside then smear the resin and cloth in 4 or 5 inch lengths. If you dont, expect the engine to come off. And thats the voice of experience talking. Use that new JR 791 retract servo for best muscle on the gear. Other than that, the plane is an excellent performer. Hard to tip stall, floats in at idle. One thing, a good crack in the runway will make it ruin a TOO EXPENSIVE TRU-TURN spinner. Oops!, there I go again. Sorry Mettler 1. OK, now where can I find a better tail wheel that can be installed in the proper locaton on a .60 size Mustang. MM
Old 10-16-2004, 03:05 PM
Mettler1

Bearcatf8, did your Miss America come with the same size wheels as your P-51B? What size are the wheels? I've had a WM Super Chipmunk with retracts but the wheels were too small ( 2-1/4 or 2-1/2 inches ) for our grass field. I have seen the Miss America at the LHS and the wheels looked to be about 2-3/4 inches or maybe 3 inches.That would be better for a grass field. Have you flown the Miss A yet? Also anyone got any field pics yet? As you can tell the Hanger 9 P-51 has caught my eye. The only thing that keeps me from getting another plane with retracts is wheels being too small
Old 10-17-2004, 09:53 AM
bearcatf8

Mettler1: I flew my Miss A last weekend in a lot of wind, It did just fine, That Saito GK 100 is very strong. I fly off of grass and had no problem with it ,as a matter of fact the new gear is a100 times better than the old type. I would be flying it now but alas I'm at work and I guess it'll have to wait. Oh to be at the flying field with xmitter in hand! By the way I use the CB acces spinner and painted it with Top Flight Monokote Insignia Blue paint ,like the real one.[8D]
Old 10-17-2004, 10:35 AM
Mettler1

Bearcatf8 And the size of the wheels?? Thanks, Tom
Old 10-17-2004, 01:30 PM
bearcatf8

I Think their 3 &1/4 inch I dont have it in front of me actually their 3 &1/2 measurement
Old 10-18-2004, 09:26 PM
rcflyertwo

[&:]well i have turned blue from holding my breath waiting for building and flying feedback, just call me bluboy from now on.[&:] Butch in Niagara Falls
Old 10-18-2004, 10:57 PM
bearcatf8

Butch: as for building -whats to know ? it's too simple just look at the instructions . And as for flying , the Miss A lands much better than the B model and is a simple good flying ( almost trainer ) plane !!![8D]
Old 10-19-2004, 08:10 AM
yard-dart
My Feedback: (35)

ORIGINAL: bearcatf8

I Think their 3 &1/4 inch I dont have it in front of me actually their 3 &1/2 measurement

Are you sure of this? The 1.50 sized Stang has that size wheels, but I'm not so sure that the .60 size does. Please double check. I'm quite sure that it comes with 2-2/12 inch wheels. Three inch wheels shouldn't be able to fit in the wheel wells.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.