Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Ultra Stick 60 and 9C radio

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Ultra Stick 60 and 9C radio

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2002, 08:42 PM
Zman-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Stick 60 and 9C radio

Hi All,
I just bought a 9C radio and would like to program my ultra stick 60 with it (crow, etc). Is there any link or anything you all know of that may help with it? I have the programming for the 8U in instruction book of US60 but not the 9C.
Thanks for any help
Mike
Old 08-07-2002, 08:49 PM
HighRPM

I would start here.

http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/faq-9c-q515.html

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...673&forumid=57]
Old 08-08-2002, 09:40 AM
Zman-RCU

Thanks for the links, it answered a couple questions. But it appears some are using the acro programming and some are using the glider flap2 programming, which one do you recommend?
Thanks
Mike
Old 08-08-2002, 11:05 AM
Mikee-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Mike,
Acro is better in my opinion. It takes a bit more to program in but it works and I think it has more fine tuning to it in the long run. Since the trims are digital, the throttle cut feature is nice to have.
You can't use it in Glid2 if you set your plane up for crow that way.
Follow the FAQ on the Futaba site, get it set up and then go back into the individual sections and fine tune your control settings. It took me a long time to do it the first time, mainly because I didn't thoroughly read the FAQ to begin with. Now it doesn't take much at all to program it. The 9C is a nice radio and is easy to program and understand. There are a few of the guys(me too) here that are willing to walk you through it if needed. All ya have to do is ask.
Mikee
Old 08-08-2002, 12:42 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mikee,

Add me to your list of people that need to be walked, with baby steps, through the instructions in the FUTABA FAQ for 7-8 Servo programming for the 9C. I tried following them several times with no success. IMHO there are some subtle steps not included in the instructions that alude me and I haven't been able to come up with the right question to ask AM. Each time I attempted it I ended up with one or more surface that was not moving in the right direction.

I currently have my US 60 setup on my Futaba 8AU, using the Glid2 mode. The original H9 instructions plus the addendum from Futaba was farely easy to follow. Due to the limitations of the GLID2 mode I would prefer the ACRO programming.
Old 08-08-2002, 04:30 PM
Mikee-RCU

Jim,
I had basically the same problem. Ya need to make sure servo travels are correct to begin with. Then set the radio up according to the FAQ once that is done then you have to go back and fine tune. I know it is frustrating and it's hard to describe what your asking for. If you want to discuss this over the phone email me your phone number and when an appropriate time would be to call. If not you can email the problem to me and I'll answer the best I can or even post it here and others can jump in and help.
Mikee
Old 08-08-2002, 07:44 PM
javven

Well, I got full house control with my 6XAs 6-channel.

If anyone wants to know how email me at [email protected]

Note, I had to make some mods to the plane, but they're all electrical. And you have to decide *(with 6 channel) on the ground whether you want to do crow or full-wing aileron.

The key is one reversing servo Y harness and one normal harness.

After that I did it all with p.mix functions. So it's using one of the custom setups. Essentially when my 'gear' lever is thrown, the inboard control surfaces go to 80% travel (on a reverse y), the ailerons (discrete channels) go UP 80% (as if I'd set up trim on both) and you fly the plane with mostly rudder, elevator and the little bit of aileron throw you have left. It won't wirly-gig down spinning in full crow the way I saw one with a JR 10X do, but it's still very flyable.

So, when the GEAR goes to DOWN, the gear channel doesn't move at all (INH), and the aileron channels both go UP a given %.

If you want to fly with a full-wing surface, you just reverse Y one wing, (I installed all the servos precisely per directions) so the flap travels WITH, not against the aileron on that side, regular Y the other wing, then discrete channel the left and right wings as normal. The plane will really do some amazing stuff now...
My $.02
Old 08-08-2002, 08:41 PM
Zman-RCU

Thanks again all,
On the futaba FAQ page it list for servo hookups to leave ch 5 blank and plug right flap into ch 8. I can do this but will need to go buy a y harness as my battery and channel 8 use same port. Any reason I cant use ch 5 instead of 8?
Thanks
Mike
Old 08-08-2002, 09:28 PM
Mikee-RCU

MIke
Plug your battery into channel 5 instead of channel 8
Mikee
Old 08-08-2002, 09:35 PM
Zman-RCU

Thanks, I have crow working now and can switch on and off the flaps to work with ailerons. Only thing left is to have just flaps. They are working on the knob but is there a way to have the flaps on a switch instead? I like just flipping switches, can it be done?
Thanks
Mike
Old 08-08-2002, 09:48 PM
Mikee-RCU

I would think you should be able to assign it to a switch, but than you lose the partial control of the flaps. They'll either be up or down. I like 1/2 flaps for taking off and just a little flap when landing.
Mikee
Old 08-08-2002, 09:53 PM
Zman-RCU

Thanks, I still think I like it on a switch for now. If anyone knows how to assign the flaps to a switch please let me know. I really appreciate all your help
Mike
Old 08-08-2002, 10:12 PM
Mikee-RCU

Go into Basic Acro Mode, then go to AUX-Ch, then you can reassign AUX 1 and AUX 2 to any switch you want.
Mikee
Old 08-09-2002, 02:02 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Zman

On mine I used the retracts...ch-5 for the flaps, with a "Y" harness to run both servos. You have to use the elev-to-flap mix as well. When you throw the retract switch...the flaps will drop all the way down to your "throw" (ATV) setting, and the plane will climb like crazy with out the elev mix, which will automatically give "down" elev to compensate for all the lift caused by the "full" flaps.

If you take off with full throttle and full flaps, be ready to throw that switch off in a hurry...cause the plane will go straight up.
Old 08-09-2002, 02:31 PM
javven

And the problem with straight up is?

Heh. Yeah, it could nose over or do something else horrible. Or... if you don't have enough motor on it to fly it to mars (Like the phreaks who put Saito 100s on it do).. I suppose it could stall or otherwise misbehave.

I flew mine full wing last night. I think I like the roll rate now. I WISH I had a radio that'd let me switch in flight between modes....
Old 08-09-2002, 03:50 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Gone balistic....

For me it was un-nerving at first, when the plane took off in such a short run-out...went straight up...when my brain was wanting a more sane launch...with more airspeed, and a reasonable rate of climb.

I have a K&B .61 on mine, Magnum carb. I did one of those full-flap....full-up...punch the throttle take-offs....and it scared the heck out of me. I could envision the 30 foot climb, the stall, the U-TURN....straight down....and the wreckage.

But the power was there, and it kept going. I got the flaps up, and the nose down...and my heart rate returned to normal a couple minutes later...

Dave.
Old 08-09-2002, 11:40 PM
hilleyja

Default I'm a phreak

if you don't have enough motor on it to fly it to mars (Like the phreaks who put Saito 100s on it do
Man, this plane would be down-right boring without my Saito FA-100 --- IMHO
Old 08-10-2002, 01:24 AM
Zman-RCU

Which prop have you found to work best with this combination? (saito 1.00 and US60)
Thanks
Old 08-10-2002, 02:39 AM
Jay7318713-RCU

Default Im a phreaks too

I have a Ultra Stick .60 and i put a .91fx never flown yet saving my Money for the 9CAF and Mike You said in a answer to Plug battery from 8chn to 5 can i do that with any reciver or what do you mean plug in 8chn to 5chn??
Old 08-10-2002, 08:28 AM
hilleyja

You can plug your battery into any available channel on your RX. This also means you can Y-connect your battery with any servo. On some 8-channel RXs this is exactly what you have to do to get 8 channels and your battery connected to the RX.
Old 08-10-2002, 10:55 AM
Zman-RCU

Well, did some programming last night and using the glid2 programming I have everything working as desired. I then went to another model memory and followed the instructions on the FAQ page to a tee and didnt have any luck getting it to work in acro mode. I think there may be a typo as I had right ail and left flap working as ails at first. I switched some wires on the receiver and got both ail working as ail but that is far as I went. other then throttle cut, are there a bunch more advantages to using acro over glid2?
Old 08-10-2002, 03:11 PM
Jay7318713-RCU

Does that mean if i had to more aviable channels I could plug in another battery??? can i do this to my rx that came with the 4 channel radio (7 chn) .
can i hook up a switch to turn one battery of and turn the good one on??
Old 08-10-2002, 11:30 PM
hilleyja

Yes!!!!

Though don't really know why you would want to do that. Batteries are one of the heaviest items in your plane after the engine.

If you did want to do that you would need to turn one on and the other off -- leave them both on. All that does is increase the battery capacity because you are putting them into the system in parallel. If you had 2 600mah batteries connected to your RX and both turned on you would actually have a 1200mah battery.
Old 08-11-2002, 12:06 PM
lynngordon

I'm using the MA 14X8 on my US60 with Saito 100. Started off using the MA Scimitar 14x8, but went to the standard wide blade profile MA 14x8 - seems to have a little more pull.

I only have 6 flights on it so far, but even running rich enough to look like I have a full up smoke system going, it will pull out of sight vertically at a little over half throttle. Mine weighed in at 6lbs, 3oz when complete, with 4 wing servos, elevator and rudder in the tail, 16oz tank in the wing saddle at cg, and the battery mounted just behind the rear wing saddle former.

Of note, it looks like I'm going to need to go with either a Perry pump or a Cline regulator to get the idle reliable with the 12" of fuel tubing I'm using.
Old 08-11-2002, 12:12 PM
lynngordon

Jason - you don't need additional channels to plug in another battery. You can use a Y harness to plug in an additional battery pack and switch. I do this on each of my 1/4 scale planes - two battery packs, and two switches - both on all time the plane is flown. I don't do this to extend the flight times, since I use 1650ma NiMH battery packs, but for the redundency in case there is a problem with one pack, wiring or switch.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.