Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

New 81" GP Super Chipmunk

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

New 81" GP Super Chipmunk

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 08:39 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New 81" GP Super Chipmunk

I will be adding Robart functional scale struts to mine. I have a pair I bought for a Ohio R/C kit.
Old 10-31-2004, 12:17 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Skypilot:

You're right. The Hanger 9 33% Edge flys very well with it's wing loading of 30.1 oz/sq. ft. But then it has a wing area of 1760 sq. in.

On the other hand, Great Planes uses custom designed Selig airfoils for their high end models, and they work very well.

As you say, we'll see.

Jim
Old 10-31-2004, 10:21 PM
Steve S
My Feedback: (54)

I too was eyeing this new GP Chipmunk,I am a big fan of glass fuses & I love the bigger size.I too love the attractive looks of the Chipmunks.I had two World Models Chipmunks(retract version) Hands down the best flying planes I have had to date .The first one I lost on the 5th flight due to battery failure.I sold the second one after many many easy/successful flights.The plane was extremely easy to fly as mentioned on post #24 with absolutely no bad habits whatsoever .I dont know what it was about the WM Chipmunks,both of the ones I had tracked straight as an arrow down the runway & required very very little rudder input-certainly made me look like a very highly accomplished pilot(i'm an average pilot).If they only knew the plane just seems to do it by it's self & made me look good Knife edge flight was another amazing detail-the plane again required very little stick input to maintain perfect level knife edges the whole entire length of the flying site.It would do them all day long with ease

I hope this GP Chipmunk flies just as great.We will see,I look forward to the first flight reports.I may just have to get me one of these babies!

Steve
Old 11-01-2004, 09:31 AM
PlaneKrazee

jrf,

The Chipmunk does not have the flying surfaces to do 3-D, it's wing loading is about right for normal aerobatic flight not 3-D. The lightest it could have come in at would have been 12 lbs, which is the weight of the Ohio R/C Chipmunk built with a 1.20 size engine, monokote covering and the minimum amount of glue. Many of the Ohio Kits with glassed fuselages build out to 15-17 lbs. with a G-38 but still land like a trainer. They have a varing airfoil wing with a fair amount of washout just as the full scale plane did. The GP Chip may be able to weigh less of the battery is moved as far forward as possible along with a Higley heavy hub to remove some of the lead.

Steve,

The Goldgerg and WM Chipmunks when properly trimmed and balanced require zero roll/pitch input in knife edge! Most Giant scale planes, even Extras can't do that without a computer radio and mixes. Dave Patrick did a great job designing the Goldberg. Looks like his 540 edge designs are winners also. I had called his business last year to see if they had interest in doing a large Chipmunk but they directed me to the Edge and Extra and then came out with a 1/4 scale Super Cub. Seems like there are enough 1/4 scale cubs out already.

I tell you I would like to see Great Planes do the Chipmunk in the Harold Krier paint scheme, it would be a nice tribute. It is very similar to the GP Ryan STA scheme on the fuselage and underside of the wing. The top of his wing had a sunburst effect.

Harold Krier was the first person to make a Super Chipmunk, Art Scholl copied most of the ideas and reportedly called them his own.
Old 11-01-2004, 09:49 AM
PlaneKrazee

jrf,

On second thought your right. The plane will be a flying pig that won't 3-D, will fall out of manuevers, land too fast, and will just plain suck to own. I think I will ask my girlfriend to cancel her order.

Yeh right.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:51 PM
Capt G
My Feedback: (8)

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I too had the WM Chipmunk - flew great. Will be watching to see who gets one in the air 1st. I've got a YS 1.40 and smoke system ready to go.
Old 11-02-2004, 01:44 PM
PlaneKrazee

Capt G,

That should be a smokin' setup!
Old 11-05-2004, 08:15 AM
PlaneKrazee

They are beginning to ship![sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 11-05-2004, 11:51 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sky ... I have been having so much fun with my WM one ... knife edges are so easy to do! Still I would not mind a big scaled Chipmunk.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:10 PM
apalsson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi tIANci,

If you are interested in a Chipmunk this size, check out the ones from Apache Aviation.
I have two now (both Super Chipmunk and Pepsi Chipmunk) and they are fantastic.
These are kits but the build is easy.

One has a Moki 1.8 and the other has a G38
Old 11-05-2004, 11:54 PM
tIANci

apalson - thanks for the info, sadly I got a few problems ... one is I have too many planes for my liking also in Malaysia choice is VERY limited. I am very pleased with the WM Chippie powered by my ST G90. Soon my Funtana 90 will be here!!! And my PacAero Laer 200 (72") and my ... and my ... and my ... THIS HOBBY IS EVIL!!! Its a LHS conspiracy!!!
Old 11-11-2004, 05:30 AM
PlaneKrazee

They are beginning to ship![sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
Old 11-11-2004, 04:53 PM
Bob101

I know your being sarcastic...and it may be a great aerobatic performer.

But even with the lightest weight and biggest engine I just can't see it doing ANY 3-D.

Look at it. It just doesn't have the control surfaces to do 3-D. The ailerons are only on the outboard of the wing - just like the real one. Your not gonna 3-D with control surfaces that aren't in the prop blast at the least...nevermind the size and lack of deflection.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:05 PM
PlaneKrazee

bob,

You are absolutely right. This plane is designed to look and perform like the full scale aerobatic plane but probably better.

It is not designed to 3-D. It will probably knife edge better than the full scale plane and land at a slower scale speed.

WOW, a scale plane that flys like a scale plane, should be nice for people that like to try to emulate thier full scale heros. Many new planes have stretched fuselages, huge ailerons and cartoon rudders.

If someone wants to 3-D they need to buy a plane other than a Chipmunk, any Chipmunk.

I am looking forward to seeing this plane in person to see the quality and the scale detail. It looks as good or beter than the Christian Eagle in the photos. Than is probably another plane not meant for 3-D.
Old 11-11-2004, 07:10 PM
PlaneKrazee

They are beginning to ship!
Old 11-11-2004, 09:59 PM
tIANci

Sky ... one guy in this forum uses his WM Chipmunk for rolling circles! Thats so cool!!!
Old 11-11-2004, 11:54 PM
PlaneKrazee

The guy that taught me to fly could do rolling circles with a Eagle II trainer.

That was before flight simulators.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:30 AM
tIANci

I better learn to fly more!!! Hahaha ...
Old 11-12-2004, 11:30 AM
PlaneKrazee

Mine shipped today!
Old 11-12-2004, 12:07 PM
Capt G
My Feedback: (8)

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

My order confirmed today too! Let's use this forum for building updates/progress.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:08 PM
PlaneKrazee

I just received the kit today. The covering and paint are flawless! The tail surfaces are airfoiled. The fuselage is fairly light weight with no extra resin and the cowl is reinforced with carbon fiber. The control surfaces are large enough to be effective at low air speed. It looks like it will go together very easily and my Enya 1.55 will fit completely inside the cowl mounted inverted with a 1/4" prop washer spacer installed behind the prop.

The only thing funny is you can tell where the fuselage formers are. It would have been better to install them on the panel lines if possible. Then they would have blended in better.

I think this is an excellent value.

I have to get permission to assemble it before Xmas. Back in the box for now.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:53 PM
ply68
My Feedback: (29)

I just ordered one from Tower Hobbies. I wanted to give it a gas engine. What size gas engine is equivalent to a 120 4 stroke?
Old 11-16-2004, 08:54 PM
4 stroken ron
My Feedback: (29)

A G26 would probably do very well. But I am not sure how well it would fit under the cowl.
Ron
Old 11-16-2004, 11:03 PM
PlaneKrazee

The shape of the cowl makes it hard to get an engine completely enclosed. The only other 4 stroke engine that would fit completely would be a Laser 150. With the limited space for a muffler I would just use a 4 stroke, the cowl is too nice to cut up.

A gas engine with 1.20 4-stroke power would be a Roto 25, MVVS 160 with Bisson muffler or G-26. If I went gas I would mount the engine inverted and see if I could get a longer prop driver so the whole head won't be sticking out. If I had 600 euro I'd get the SM 30cc gas engine. It is light, compact and powerful with rear exhaust. The muffler could go right out the angled tunnel.

I forgot to mention that the plane was packed with a outer box custom fit to the inner box with foam in the ends to prevent shipping damage. They really packed this one well.
Old 11-17-2004, 08:15 AM
dhammond
My Feedback: (2)

WoW ... sounds like the winner I was hoping for !!
Mine's on it's way ! I also ordered a ZDZ40 ... I hope it Fits OK!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.