Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 36 of 47 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: New 81" GP Super Chipmunk

I'm thinking about mounting the Saito 150 inverted. I notice that the centerline of the fuel tank will be about 1 inch above the carb, I heard that this may be a problem because fuel can run down into the carb making it difficult to get the fuel mixtures correct. Does anyone has problem mounting the Saito 150 inverted with the fuel tank above the carb ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: melthai

I'm thinking about mounting the Saito 150 inverted. I notice that the centerline of the fuel tank will be about 1 inch above the carb, I heard that this may be a problem because fuel can run down into the carb making it difficult to get the fuel mixtures correct. Does anyone has problem mounting the Saito 150 inverted with the fuel tank above the carb ?
    Welcome to RCU. Figueroa modified the tank area to lower his tank. Here is a posting. There are other posting showing the 150 inverted. It's a long post go throught it.
    http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3860260
    John
    Have desk ... Will Fly.... Saito Member #467
    Ultimate Brotherhood #11, Ultra Sport Brotherhood #90

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Melthai,
    Look at page 17 for a thread by GSNut showing his 180 inverted Saito installation. Very clean.
    John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks John
    I decided to side mount the engine so that I don't have to do all that modifications. Now, I have another problem, I can't get the flaps to work right. I'm using the Futaba 7 CAP PCM receiver ,which channel do you plug the y harness for the flap servos into ? I plugged the y harness into channel 6 but got all kind of interference; the flaps moved up and down randomly, out of control. Same problem on channel 5 and 7.Please help.
    Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sounds like you've got a bad "Y". Plug the servos in individually with a known good extension and see what happens.
    John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

John
    If I remove one servo from the Y, it would work but not if both are connected at the same time. I tried a new Y, same problem.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Did you try each servo separately? Your receiver and transmitter pack is fully charged and all the other servos are working properly? If you disconnect the flaps do they work? Could they be binding and causing more current draw? This is not a normal problem. You should be able to drive two servos off any channel. Switch the flaps to the rudder and see what happens.
    John

EDIT swap a servo out and see if you still have the problem. Work logically one step at a time and you will find the cause.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Melthai, i had a similar prob. with my JR/GR MX22. It looked the same as your prob. on channels 1-3

i couldn't find what it was, then i tried the TX on a different "plane" and it all worked just fine. It was some kind of programming error, never found what it was.

hope this helps
    Remember: Speed is life!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The only other thing I can think of is, if for whatever reason your receiver cannot driver two servos. Swap receivers and try it.
    John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well just to test if channel 6(flaps) is bad, I did a switch and connected the Y for the aileron servos into channel 6(flaps) and it would work fine, so channel 6 is not the problem. However, when I connected the Y for the flap servos into the channel 1 (ailerons) it would have the same interference as if I plugged it into channel 6. But again, would work fine if I disconnect one of the flaps servo. The conclusion is for some reason the two servos for the flaps cannot be connected together using the Y harness. Maybe I need some special Y-harness ? I'll give Futaba a call Monday.
    Also, the arm on the flap servos are both pointing to the left correct ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Correct about the flap servo arms pointing in the same direction.

Did you make sure your receiver battery is fully charged or just guess it was? Do you have another pack to try? It sounds like you do not have enough current to power both servos.

Futaba receivers do not take a special "Y" adapter unless you want one that reverses the direction. Make sure your battery and switch are plugged in tightly.

Do the rest of the servos all operate properly? Can you move them all at the same time without experiencing a glitch?
    John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

melthai

Have you tried using the "model reset" in the parameters menu? This resets the model position to a factory default. That could clear any cross mixes that may have wandered in to the trasmmitter. Of course you will have to reprogram the flaps and all of the throws.
    Don M

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: dbmck

melthai

Have you tried using the "model reset" in the parameters menu? This resets the model position to a factory default. That could clear any cross mixes that may have wandered in to the trasmmitter. Of course you will have to reprogram the flaps and all of the throws.
    The two flap servos are connected to a Y" and the servos move up and down randomly but not if they are used singularly. They do the same thing if connected to another port. I can't see how this is could be a case of a transmitter's models parameters being set wrong. Mixes wouldn't have anything to do with it. A servo binding, a poor connection causing low voltage could be the cause or a bad servo? I'd plug in a Hobbico voltwatch and see what it can tell us.
    John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well as John suggested, I switched receiver. I took out the receiver that came with the 7 CAP (FP-R138DP PCM) and installed a regular Futaba 7 channels receiver and the flaps work great !!! So, maybe I do have a bad receiver after all, for some reason channel 5, 6 and 7 will not allow Y -harness type connection. I also visited the Futaba web page and found this in their FAQ's. Maybe for this receiver you can not use the Y-harness for the flaps, you have to do all this to get the flaps to work. Does anyone out there get their flaps to work using the Y-harness ?

Is the 7C capable of being used with a complex 7-servo aerobatic model with separate flap and aileron servos?

First you will need to plug your flaps into channels 5 and 7.

Next you will need to activate Flaperons. Then go into your Airbrake menu and activate it, again setting the percentages as needed.

Now you will want to go into your Elevator/Flap mix and activate it. Select your 3-position switch in the up position for this and once you have set your percentages as needed, you will want to make this active.

Then we will want to do two Pmixes.

The first one will be OFS as master, to channel 5 slave, put this on your 3-way switch in the Down position, and set the rate to +70%.

The second one will be Offset as master, to channel 7 slave, again put this on the 3-way switch in the Down position and set the rate to +70%.

Now you will want to go into Para and set channels 5 and 7 to Switch B if you would like to have Flaps alone on a switch.

This will give you the following.

3-way switch in the Up position will give you some Flap with your Elevator, in the Center position you will have normal functions of all channels, in the Down position you will have Airbrake with up flaperons, down flaps, and down elevator (can be changed to up elevator if needed). Switch B down will give you full down Flap.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm glad you got it going. I don't have any experience with that particular Futaba receiver. Mine are all R127DF or Hitec Supremes and either will drive two servos on a "Y" just fine.

Now I remember that there were some problems reported in the Radios forum about some digital Hitec servos requiring more drive than what a Futaba receiver could supply, and it only happened on a "Y". What servos are you running?

If they are Futaba servos I'd send the receiver in, it should be covered under warranty.
    John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

John
    I'm using four Hitec HS-5475HB servos for ailerons and flaps. The ailerons are working fine with the Y-harness. The rest of the servos are working normal also. I'm running them with fully charge 2000mAh NiMH pack.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi everyone, hereΒ΄s mine: Super Chipmunk On Ice!!!

I had my maiden flight last weekend, everything went just fine. What a nice plane!

HereΒ΄s a list on components used:

- Zenoah G20EI gas engine (from Toni Clark)
    - Toni Clark 500 cc fuel tank
    - APC 16x8 propeller
    - Toni Clark 2450 mAh LiPo one cell ignition battery
    - Multiplex Micro IPD 7-channel receiver
    - 5 x Futaba S148 (ailerons + flaps + throttle)
    - 2 x Futaba S3010 (rudder + elevator)
    - 1700 mAh NiCd 5-cell receiver battery

I had to install 400 g of extra ballast to the firewall to get my Chippie perfectly balanced.

As you see, the engine fits inside the cowling nicely. Only a small piece of original muffler as well as the spark plug cap are visible. If some manufacturer offers a very compact Pitts-style muffler for G20, there will be no need for cowl cutting.

I think G20 and Chipmunk are a match made in heaven!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jh15809.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	651206   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fb87842.jpg 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	651207   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sx61770.jpg 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	651208   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fd91199.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	651209   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Je99165.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	651210  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Va73356.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	651211   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ys50204.jpg 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	651212  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

excellent job on the motor. IF the 20cc gasser was more than enough, than my 35 cc gasser is going to really crank it up!
    Kevin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah, it surely will! Be careful, you got a wolf in chipmunkΒ΄s clothing...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am going to use my 125 Saito in another airplane. I bought a 150 Saito for this bird. I hope to have it assembled in a couple of weeks.
    John

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hello guys,
    I have the Chipmunk on the way. Been reading some good posts here. I am going to use the Fuji 24 in the nose. This engine should help with the extra weight that is called for to balance the plane. I know it will be plenty of power for the plane and of course a cost savings with fuel. I am going to put in one of the virtual cockpits. I am not sure of the website right this minute but they have one already made for the Chipmunk. It should make the plane look pretty neat and its only $34. I will post some pictures of my project once I get it going.
    Rich O.
    Never pull up when 3 ft above ground inverted.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Was just looking back at some post and came across the website for the virtual cockpits. http://www.wrightrc.com/index.html
    Never pull up when 3 ft above ground inverted.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well it was a long time comming. flew my Chippy yesterday. Here in south Western Ohio, the skies were blue with temps in the low 70s and light wind right down the run way. I did a final check and commited her to the wind. She flew right off the grass with little effort and needed very little trim change. I had to use a lot of right rudder for take off. Big rudder sure came in handy. The CG seems perfect so far. I found as F4U did with his the elevator settings were a little high. Man can this girl do tight loops...LOL Was able to get two flights on it due to having another new bird to get in the air the same day. Talk about stress city. you always wonder in the back of your mind, did I forget to check something. Then after the first flight you just say what was I so worried about. She came down so slow I was amazed. I was using full flaps. I noticed that if I lowered the flaps to half during down wind and then full flaps on base the plane had slowed down enough so that it did not baloon up on me. On the second landing I was pushing the envelope on landing with a nose high slow desent and the plane almost tip stalled about 6 inches from the ground. It looked so stable until about five feet. I staarted adding throttle and she made it down to about the half foot mark before touch down. Roll out was only a few feet. Thats how slow it will land LOL
    I have a US41 engine with a Menz 18/10 prop on it. I will change to a 18/8 before next flight. The 10 pitch makes the plane fly way to fast. I don't think I got to full throttle except for vertical manuvers. I would highly reccomend this plane.
    good day
    Gary Webb
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zx70951.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	653501   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kf14514.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	653502   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Uz67967.jpg 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	653503   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hb80577.jpg 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	653504  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got mine the other day and now am in the process of installing a g-26. Not quite sure how. do i rienforce the back of the firewall so the blind nuts dont sink thru? or mount it as is? anybody know what the most secure way is?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

HOOKENUT
    What kind of wood is your standoff? How thick is it and how long are your mounting bolts? Ive never done this gasser thing ,and have the same setup as you. I just want to be sure i have a secure set up. By the way how did your cowl come out? Ive heard rough on that deal

Thanks JIM

Page 36 of 47 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast