Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Lets Talk ARF's

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Lets Talk ARF's

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2001, 04:24 AM
Nathan
Administrator
My Feedback: (12)

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lets Talk ARF's

Who's got an ARF on the workbench right now? Wanna tell us about it? Stuff like what it is, complications you've had, alterations you're making, etc.

I just got my Breitling Cap 232 flight worthy not too long ago. I got it on the workbench right now, finishing up the details, and doing to it what I like to do to ARF's.

Here's some additions I have made, or will make, to the Cap 232 before I consider it finished:

Next ARF will hopefully be here shortly

BTW: post some pics if you got em!
    Old 12-10-2001, 09:48 PM
    Hobbsy
    My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
    Default UltraStik .40

I,m currently working on an UltraStik .40. I put a new Irvine .53 on it because it fit the metal engine mount perfectly, I drilled and tapped the mount instead of clamping the engine on. So far that is the only thing I've changed. I'm still thinking about whether to use the full length ailerons or the split ones, I have the split setup on my Big UltraStik but have never flown it.
    Old 12-10-2001, 10:22 PM
    jcw111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
    Default Ultra Stick 40

Dave

I have built and flown the Stick 40 and offer a a few comments.

1---Mine developed a big time sympathetic vibration at the forward wing dowels. It was so bad that it burned--yes burned-- half way thru one of the dowels and charred the other. I reinforced both with brass tubing and still have the problem. As a last resort I might change the metal mount for a glass reinforced mount.

2---I flew it a few times without the flaps programmed. I have now started using all the goodies and it is a lot of fun.

I just installed a new Irvine 46. Have not flown the new engine as yet but it sure is a beauty.

Jim Whitney
    Old 12-13-2001, 09:29 PM
    DLT
    My Feedback: (48)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
    Default Kyosho Cap 232

I just put one of these together with a new OS 50 SX and used the stock muffler. Pretty good combination. The new OS is so quiet you can hardly hear it when it gets away from you just a little. Plane insane, you may have trouble getting 2.5 wheels on it. the largest I could get on it was 2.25 due to the small wheel pants. You have to put larger wheels on it because the ones that come with it scrape the asphalt.

This is my 1st Kyosho and I think they are overpriced for what you get although it flis well. Almost wish I would have bought the GP Extra 300 in the same size catagory.

Dave
    Old 12-13-2001, 09:58 PM
    Nathan
    Administrator
    My Feedback: (12)

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
    Default Re: Kyosho Cap 232

Originally posted by DLT
    Plane insane, you may have trouble getting 2.5 wheels on it. the largest I could get on it was 2.25 due to the small wheel pants.
    Hi Dave,

I've got 2.5" Sullivan's on there now. I had to redrill new mounting holes in the wheel pants, and enlarge the wheel openings to make them fit, but I got it to work without any noticable difference. I need to fiberglass for strength yet, but am real happy with how the landing gear turned out.
    Old 12-14-2001, 06:53 AM
    astrohog
    My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
    Default Lets Talk ARF's

I've got one that I bet no one has ever seen! (make that two!). I am working on an old Zimpro .60-size CAP 21 ARC. I think Zimpro was one of the first to introduce arfs/arcs. This kit must be at least 10 years old if not oldr. The quality is outstanding even by todays standards. I am busy doing a lot of mods on it and here are some of the details:

- two aileron servos (one in each wing)
    -Sullivan tail wheel
    -fiberglass over balsa and painted
    -Slimline Pitts on a Saito .91 mounted sideways
    -scale-like instrument panel
    -counter-balanced control surfaces
    -fiberglass cowl and wheelpants
    -sheeted foam wing
    -fully sheeted fuse
    -Fiberglass pushrods
    -split elevator
    -tinted canopy

The second one I have stashed under my bench is also a very old Zimpro arc kit. It is a .60-size Dalotel. I have flown a similar Dalotel before and what a fun design! It really flies like it is on rails. This particular kit is fully sheeted and sports airfoil-shaped tail feathers. I think I will glass anfd paint that one, too. I am also thinking about adding smoke! If anyone out there has had or flown one of these old models, I would like to hear your feedback! By the way, Zimpro is still making kits under the name Tennessee Model Products and they have a great selection of kits! The kits are all made in the U.S. which is pretty much unheard of these days. They have a nice website, but I forget the address right now. Do a Google search for Zimpro or Tennessee model products and it will be there.
    Old 06-28-2012, 06:50 PM
    airraptor
    My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
    Default RE: Lets Talk ARF's

how does it fly?
    Old 06-29-2012, 05:07 AM
    Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

After 11-1/2 years it's probably retired.  ;-)
    Old 06-29-2012, 07:42 AM
    airraptor
    My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes i know. I brought out a old one because everyone else is through out this forum. I read four threads over the last week. i didnt catch the date but after reading sevreral pages i find out its 8-10 year old thread. Why would some one do that lol. They were talking about how the webra pattern engine was the one to have and telling evering to go buy them.