Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Funtana 90 question (reluctantly)

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Funtana 90 question (reluctantly)

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 04:30 PM
ImHooked
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Funtana 90 question (reluctantly)

I have read alot, not all, of the posts on the other Funtana threads and thought about putting this question over there but was concerned it would get lost in the rhetoric. I have a new in the box funtana 90 that I am wanting to get started on. Would the general concensus be that the first order of business should be to remove the bottom covering and reinforce all of the wing ribs and inspect for other possible problems in the wing construction and then recover?

That way all should be corrected.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-26-2004, 09:35 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Funtana 90 question (reluctantly)

I would just inspect it well through the clear covering and the servo opening.
Old 10-26-2004, 09:55 PM
STEVE LENZ
My Feedback: (45)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi I covered the lightning holes in the ailerons bay with some light balsa and added two supports flush with the wing to hold the servo in place on the other side of rib. I did it through the hole in the wing for the servo not having to cut anything. I ran a good coat of thin CA as well up and down the cap strips.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:42 PM
wind junkie

I agree with the above. The most important ribs that need to be the strongest are the ones that support the aileron servo mounts. Inspect these real well and reinforce them as you like.

The only thing I would add is you can gently twist the wing by holding it at the root and tip and watch to to see if any cracks open up as you twist. I think if you do this after your first few flying sessions, you can stop worrying about them unless you get damage from a crash or hangar rash. That's what I do, anyway.
Old 10-27-2004, 04:41 AM
Ken Bryant
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also reinforced mine. I poured thin CA in through the servo hole and soaked both ribs. I have yet to fly my CAed wings but I have more faith in them than I would if I had done nothing.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:44 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I dripped thin CA on the ribs from the servo holes, and root ribs. I now have many hard flights on it with no problems.

Bob
Old 10-27-2004, 05:55 AM
cstevec

This is just my opinion here so take it for what its worth. I built one of the first ones to come out and it probably has a hundred flights on it so far. When I built it I inspected the wings through the coverings and CA'd the ribs adjacent to the servo bay 'cause they were cracked. I added a couple of small pieces of balsa to those ribs to re-enforce them. I changed the control horns to dubro and used all of the stock hardware other then that. I also used Hitec servos with karbonite gears. (5645's) The only problem I ever had with the plane was with the horizontal stabilizers breaking in flight due to flutter at high speed which I cured by removing the covering and sheeting with 1/16'th balsa then recovering. 'Bought a month ago I had a deadstick landing inverted in the beanfield at the club. The wing tube bent and the wing pushed into the side of the fuse breaking it up pretty good. There was no damage to the wing except for breaking off the piece next to the fuse that you glue on during assembly, the filet? Anyways, I repaired it and all is well again. I started out flying this bird with a 1.20 Saito on it and later switched to a 1.80 'cause I needed the 1.20 for a different plane. Since the repairs I have probably 20 flights on it and still no wing damage other then hanger rash.

I think that the wings are plenty strong but you do need to be careful with the servo bay area. I also believe that nylon geared servos are a no no on this plane due to the very large control surfaces. You can't afford any slop or flexing in your linkages AT ALL. If you have any, nylon gears will strip and the surfaces WILL flutter. The control horns that ship with the Funtana 90 are the same ones hanger 9 ships with all of their 40 size planes and tend to be flimsy (too flimsy for these large surfaces in my opinion) I don't think you need to remove the covering unles your wings are really busted up inside. I would watch my speed though, speed kills.

Build it and go have yourself some fun!
Old 10-27-2004, 08:52 AM
ImHooked

Thank you all for your insight. I think you have saved me alot of time. I will definitely utilize the CA were I can. I can't wait to get this bird in the air.
Old 11-02-2004, 07:20 PM
rede2fly
My Feedback: (86)

i bought 2 funtana90s the first has been flying with no problems but like you i was reading all these problems and i, to ca'd everything i could reach. but like you asked i will when i start building the next one i will take the covering off and go in like a doctor and if only for peace of mind will rebrace the correct way the servo bay and check everyting else out. i might even add a second servo bay because the ailerons are so big. it would sure make me feel better and probly make the plane response better. my two cents..................
Old 11-02-2004, 07:55 PM
DrFun
My Feedback: (4)

I had 2 wing sets, the first one was replaced by horizon due to cracks, the second one had cracked ribs also but can be seen only when looked very close and the tip rib was broken also.

I removed teh top covering and reinforced them with some 1/16" balsa, and glad that I did because when I opened I saw that one of the aileron servo rail that goes into the rib went only 1/32" into the rib and could not be seen from outside due to rib caps.

I choose to remove the top beacuse the bottom edges go under it and you have to remove a little bit of top to pull it out and it winn not stick back as good.

Also the bottom was two piece, you do not have to remove the botom yellow but.

The blue checkers are easy to remove and sticks back good, my only loss was the Funtana 90 decal on the left wing, horizon sent replacement but I did not put it on.

I am not crazy about italian flag so did not put it back, it is ultracote so you can put it back.

It took me 1 night 3-4 hours to remove, reinforce and recover the wings, and put 5 more flights to it today and love my Funtana.
Old 11-02-2004, 09:39 PM
watso
My Feedback: (17)

i pulled my covering of and fixed broken ribs, and added glue in a few places. my friend took off his covering and had to glue alot of places, all his ribs were ok, one wing would have failed, but because he opend it up to get a good look and fixed it, he just rips it around with his ys120 no problems.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:23 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

Here are my suggestions:

1.) Drip CA onto every rib, joint, etc. you can reach through the servo cut-outs etc., or if it makes you feel more comfortable peel back the covering and reinforce what you feel needs it.

2.) DO NOT use the supplied control horns. They are way too flexible for this plane. I highly recommend Du-Bro's heavy duty control horn system (the one with the single bolt through the surface) or an equivalent set from another manufacturer. If you must use the supplied horns, DO NOT attach the swivel ball link to the horn. Use a regular clevis (I like Du-Bro's nylon safety kwik-links). You want to eliminate every bit of slop from the control linkages.

3.) USE high torque servos on all surfaces.

I did this on my Funtana and it is doing just fine with a Saito 180 hanging off the nose. Good luck!