Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Yellow Aircraft Edge 540T? Anyone have it yet?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Yellow Aircraft Edge 540T? Anyone have it yet?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2002, 12:54 AM
Bryant330L
My Feedback: (126)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yellow Aircraft Edge 540T? Anyone have it yet?

Say it here!!! I love the looks of the 60 size Edge. When will they be available? Thanks
Old 08-27-2002, 02:39 PM
mrsail76
My Feedback: (8)

Default 120 Edge

I'll take the price and avail on the 120 Edge 540.
Old 08-27-2002, 11:26 PM
AzRcpilot

Default Edge 540

I 2 am intrested in the 60 and 120 size Edge prices would be great.
Thanks Mark
Old 09-17-2002, 10:50 PM
Ryan
My Feedback: (11)

Default Yellow Edge 540

What would be a good engine for the Yellow Edge 540. I was thinking of using the RCS 180. Cheaper to run vs. the Saito 180. Anyone use this engine before for this size plane?
Old 09-19-2002, 03:46 AM
skerlock

Default Specks????

What are the specks on this plane (the edge 120 size). Where can I find them? and some other pics???

Please Help Im getting all reved up to get this one..

Scott
Old 11-06-2002, 12:09 AM
Hammbone
My Feedback: (309)

Hey Yellow Aircraft (Shaun),
I've been trying to e-mail and pm you to get prices and availabilty dates on the 120 size Edge ARF and the 120 size Giles ARF.
Please let me know. Are you selling these or not?

Thanks, Jim
Old 11-06-2002, 12:27 PM
TD1

skerlock
You can see the specs of the plane hear http://www.yellowaircraft.com/aerobatic/edge120.htm
Old 11-09-2002, 04:24 AM
micp
My Feedback: (3)

Default Ordered Mine Today

Ordered a 60 size today. They said it will be in mid December.
Old 01-04-2003, 01:55 AM
micp
My Feedback: (3)

Default They are in stock and shipping, finally..

Yellow called today, mine is on the way. I will update once I get it and build it.
Old 12-28-2003, 02:04 AM
Vcooper1

Default RE: Yellow Aircraft Edge 540T? Anyone have it yet?

I just finished mine, and I've read an OS 91 FX will pull this bird out of sight. Well, it wasn't easy squeezing a 91 in this bird. It took alot of know how and insight. If I told you what it was like just to get the 91 installed correctly, I could write a small instruction manual. There is no bottom sheeting behind the last former behind the tank to mount the battery right behind the tank. There is no sheeting at all, so I made sheeting out of 1/16" plywood for the battery and receiver, and made them just long enough an wide enough to be glued on top of the 2 stringers that travel from the nose all the way to the tail. I only made a sheet big enough to mount the battery right behind the tank bettween the 2 formers, and made another right behind the servo tray just big enough to mount the receiver between those 2 formers. I did this all inside. I did not cover the entire bottom with sheeting. I didn't use the tail wheel in this kit. I used a sullivan light weight aluminum tail wheel.
This bird was indeed a bit of a nightmare to build. The CG came out perfect between 80 & 85 MM as the instructions suggest. The bird will teter todder and drop at the nose and tail at 85 MM, and will be a bit more tail heavy at 80 MM. Anyway, I cant wait to fly it. from what I've read, I should be able to hover it no prob, among other things. I guess I'll just have to wait and see.
Happy new year to all, and great flying. Any questions, feel free to email me.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us55186.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	85641   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12322.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	85642  
Old 12-28-2003, 06:20 PM
bullet65

vcooper,looks very nice indeed.please tell us more once you have flown it.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:24 PM
bullet65

vcooper,how much did it cost you and did that include most hardwear.please let us know,that is one nice looking plane you have
Old 01-03-2004, 12:20 AM
Vcooper1

Thanks for the nice comments.
I ordered the kit from YA. it was $250.00. It comes with some good hardware.
It was a bit of a nightmare trying to squeeze The OS 91 FX into the cowl. The fuse is narrow on this bird. If I went into detail as to how I did it, it would be a small instruction manual. This step is not easy. A bit of sweat and patience went into getting the engine installed correctly. I didn't use the engine mount in the kit, due to complications trying to get the mount high enough and to the left enough,(looking at the nose), to center the crankshaft hub with the crankshaft hole in the cowl. As you can see in my pics, the side of the cowl must be cut open to make this happen for cylinder head clearance,and it's got to be cut in the right spot. I didn't use the tailwheel in the kit. I just don't like the ones that have a wire that needs to go into the leading edge of the rudder. I used the light weight sullivan aluminum tailwheel. it's much better. I never cross my pull,pull rudder cables, it works just fine.
If you really need more help, you can email me at-- [email protected].
I'll explain more then.
Happy new year to all.
Old 01-03-2004, 06:12 PM
FlooredCOBRA

I been flying my Edge for about a year now and absolutely love it! It is well built and light weight and the finish is top notch.

I ended up using another engine mount also on mine also. The one it came with is very strong and a good mount but would not fit once I turned my engine upside down in a 45 degree angle.

I would highly recommend the YA Edge to anyone out there. Although it is not one of those ARF's you can do in one evening it goes together nicely.

Few things I liked about YA Edge 540T compared to other Edge 540T's is the exact scale look of the cowling. I seen so many other ones out their where it looks like a pug nose EXTRA cowl. This one is very scale and curved they way it should be and all cooling holes are same as the full scale.

I also liked the fact that they did not use a Flat piece of balsa cut out in horizontal stab shape. The horizontal stab and both elevators are built up with airfoil. Half the horizontal tail surface is stab and rest is elevator, huge surfaces. I seen many where the horizontal was a bit long with a nub of elevator at end.

The vertical stab is made of fiber-glass with airfoil and the rudder is built up. All fiber-glassed parts are all gel coated and look flawless!

I am looking to put a larger engine in mine extreme vertical and some 3D. As of now I have a MVVS 77 with mini tuned pipe on mine swinging a Top Flight 14 x 6. It came out to 7.5 lbs no fuel so not to bad on the weight.

As for performance this thing is awesome! It will knife edge all day long with no tendencies to couple over to one side. Flat spins, blenders, wing tip stalls, TR, name it it can do them all. Depending on how you balance it has nice hands off inverted flight. I moved my CG more to rear later on as I got used to the flight characteristics.

I just recently put 2 servos for elevator instead of one. I havent flown it yet since but should make a bit of difference. I was not able to get throw with the stock set up so this is why I changed to 2 servos in tail.

If anyone thinking about getting one get it! You will love this thing!
sorry for long post by the way.

Name:	Ig12650.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	87394  
Old 01-03-2004, 08:00 PM
Hammbone

I too will jump in here and highly recommend the Yellow Edge. I have the 120 size with a YS 140 DZ for power and it is just the perfect combo. It is the best power to weight that I think I ever have had on a plane and the wing loading is still very low so the plane flies great at slow speeds as well.

Jim

Name:	Ki19941.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	87427  
Old 01-04-2004, 05:16 PM
montanacharlie
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: <span class=

I bought the YA edge 60 a couple of months ago and would recommend it to everyone. I have a pumped OS 91 FS in mine with a 15x4w prop. Flys awesome but doesn't have enough power to pull out of a hover. Didn't get to fly it a whole lot before the snow came[&o]. Did not like the single elevator pushrod setup for the elevator. So while its cold outside its gonna get a saito 100 and dual elevator servos on the tail. With the single elevator servo cranked up for barn door throws I have different max deflection between the elevators. Other than some experimenting, the plane flies awesome. Takes off and lands with ease. Awesome plane!!
Old 01-04-2004, 07:16 PM
FlooredCOBRA

Default RE: <span class=

I am glad to see more YA 540T's out there. I have yet to see one at the fields here in GA or in Bama I fly at. I think if more people have seen these first hand there would be many more out there. I think the only advertisements I seen on these are in magazines.

I been wanting to get the Sukhoi 60 size but just don't like that color scheme to well. The nose started off a good scheme then towards the tail it got a bit to plain. To bad they didn't do it like the 540 or stick to the regular Red and Yellow scheme.

I may end up going with a 120 size Edge 540T instead. Still debating on which one to go with.
Old 11-20-2004, 07:45 AM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

I just bought the 1.20 size!! I love the thing and it is yet to be built. I am just wondering if everyone here stuck with the factory hardward, or moved up to 440 size ball end type stuff. The elevator setup seems a bit iffy to me. I think I would rather see two servos, one for each half. It would give me better mixing control. If anyone has any advice I would be glad to receive it. I also think the vertical stab may need a few wood ribs inside to keep it nice and rigid. I am going a wierd direction by powering mine with a Roto 25.
Old 11-26-2004, 06:18 AM
airborneSGT

Well I just finished building it. This thing was one of the toughest builds I have done lately. I have put together everything from 28% Extras, to Funtanas, Twists, U Can Do's, Decathlons...yet this thing kicked my butt There is a lot that is left up to the builder in this kit. I wont say a lot left to be desired, but I think the pricing should reflect more on how much time you have to put into this thing to get it up and running. I honestly would like to know how much quicker it would have been to put together a great planes Extra around this size or even the Lanier kit.

Well Sarge is smoked, its lights out folks!
Old 11-27-2004, 10:04 AM
Hammbone

I don't know what you mean about the instructions, I thought they were fine. You are right about this plane requiring more time than most other ARF's to assemble. The end product is far superior than other ARF's though, in my opinion. Wait until you fly this plane. It flies great! It's the best 120 size plane I've ever flown and it flies better than a lot of 35% - 40% planes.
I've got a YS 140DZ on mine and this is a perfect combo. It's got plenty of power, yet is nice and light.

I also have the Yellow Aircraft 120 size Sukhoi and I used to have the 120 size Giles (dead-stick didn't quite make it back to the runway, hit the top of a tree). These are the nicest ARF's I've ever seen. They fit together well and they end up being relatively light for an ARF. They are well designed planes and I would highly recommend them. They are all designed similar as far as the build goes, and they all require more time for assembly than most other ARF's. They also cost more than most other ARF's, but the end result easily justifies this in my opinion.

My only gripe is that I wish they used Ultracote instead of Monocote.

Jim
Old 11-28-2004, 04:56 AM
airborneSGT

Oh the instructions are fine...if you have some experience. I would not recommend this as someones second plane unless they had some help. Course seasoned folks like us have no problems. Yeah I will agrea, through grit grinding my teeth it turned out really nice! Flys like a dream and inspite of it being a pain, I would not hesitate to buy another! I am wondering what their extra is like. I already have a 28% Extra though. I will say this plane flys very well, no bad habits, and CG is right on where they say. I had it flying both up right, inverted, hovering, knife edge (really easy with this one) hammerhead turns all in the first two flights. Then it got to cold and my hands got numb and plane frosted!! I will post some pics and tell you my setup.
Old 11-28-2004, 05:06 AM
airborneSGT

Yellow Aircraft Edge 540T

TX: Futaba 9 CAP
Servos:
2 x Hitec 625mg in the elevator halves
1 x Hitex 645mg on the rudder
2 x Futaba 3010 on the ailerons
1 x Futaba S3004 on the throttle

RX Batt: 4.8v 1200 mah pack (two 600mah joined together)

Engine: Roto 25 from RC showcase with 1400mah 4.8v ignition battery
Prop: Master Airscrew 16x8 (yeah yeah laugh it up but its the cheapest prop for break in)
will fly aith a APC 17x8

Fuel tank mounted at CG along with RX battery and ignition battery

I have installed rf Chokes / rf filters on all servo leads into the RX except for the ailerons

I also added the dubro quick fueler, which I am sold on. It was too cold to mess with that pesky fuel dot.

Name:	Vt56261.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	197206   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt61918.jpg
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	197207   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty64416.jpg
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	197208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vo37716.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	197209  
Old 11-28-2004, 05:14 AM
airborneSGT

Here are some more pictures. The ROTO 25 mounted up just fine with the factory mount. I did have to drill once more, however, to get it perfect. Cowl matched up nice and tight with little gap with the spinner. Yeah its plastic, but I want to keep weight down and that aluminum spinner aint worth it. I will go with carbon fiber once I get the chance. Probably will also go for CF landing gear, dunno though. I have included some further pictures showing the engine, and also how I setup the dual elevator servos. This being a quater scale plane, I sealed all control surfaces using clear monokote on the elevators and ailerons, while using red and blue monokote on the rudder. The factory tail wheel setup did not work well for me, so I modified it myself. Take a look at these pictures. The plane is amazing, but did require a lot of work to get done. I think that if I was to build another, it would go a lot faster.

Name:	Zx71575.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	197210   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48454.jpg
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	197211   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55457.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	139.0 KB