Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

BEST KEPT SECRETS IN RC AIRPLANES!!!!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

BEST KEPT SECRETS IN RC AIRPLANES!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2004, 08:30 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default BEST KEPT SECRETS IN RC AIRPLANES!!!!

One fine day a couple months back at my local club, I was talking to another club member about me wanting to purchase a New Edge 540 in the 90 size range. I threw out a few names of manufactures to him, and described ones I had read about or seen in magizines or on the internet. He then asked me if I had checked out VectorFlight? What in the world is a VectorFlight?, I asked him. Just go check out there website, and do a search on RCU about them. I told him I would, and I did, but I was skepticle. I had never seen any flashy adds for them in the mags, or have never been bombarded by popup ads about them on the R/C sites I visit. So how good could they really be? I own several Planes with brand names like Sig, Great Planes, Hangar 9, etc. I see ads for them everywhere for good cause. They make excellent Planes! So again how good could this VectorFlight be?

Well I went on the site as recommended by the fellow club member, and what first caught my eye was the price. The Planes looked awesome in the pictures, but at this price they really cannot be that good of quallity I thought. Maybe I should just stop right here, and go on RCU to see what people are saying about these. So I did. "Wow", If what all these people are saying is true, then I had found a real unknown Treasure! So I said what the heck, and went back to the VectorFlight site and ordered the Edge 540 "66".

A couple weeks go by, and I find a large box at my Post Office which I am sure is my New VectorFlight Edge 540. Sure enough it is. I quickly haul the box home to open, and to see if all the hype from the RCU'ers was true. I opened the box, and I was blown away by what I saw. This Plane had a New Shine like no other Plane I had ever bought, and NOT ONE SINGLE WRINKLE OR CREASE anywhere. I am not one for just letting things like this sit around, so I went right to putting it together that evening, and had a new Saito 1.00 in the box waitng for this Plane. The Plane went together like a breeze, and the quallity is spectacular. The most pleasant thing to find out along the line since ordering was how genuinely friendly the Customer Service folks at VectorFlight are, and how they really do go above and beyond to make sure everything goes as smooth as possible. You can tell that they truly value there customers, and take great pride in the airplanes they build, and sell. You can also tell that they want you to enjoy flying there Airplanes as much as it is obvious they enjoy building them.

Even though I have other great Aircraft from other Manufactures, I have never communicated to these Companies about how much I like the Airplanes I bought from. In the case of VectorFlight I had to make an acception because I was so overly pleased by what I had come across thanks to a recommendation from a flying buddy at the field. I really felt like I had come across one of the best kept secrets in R/C Airplanes which is the whole point of this post.

I would like to know if there are anymore of these best kept secrets? Everyone knows names like Great Planes, Hangar 9, Sig, World Models, etc., etc., but what I would like to know is who are the Manufactures out there of great R/C Airplane Products that very few people know about. This could be a product or a website who has prices that are so incredibly good, that no other compares. Or it could be a man who makes great specialty products out of his garage in Michigan, and sells them on RCU, or ebay. It could be a Plane Manufacturer like VectorFlight that puts out an awesome product at an awesome price, backed by awesome Customer Service, or it could be a small company that sells a plan for the best flying aircraft that no one has hardly heard of. I can think of no better place than RCU to let some of these cats out of the bag to share with others.

What are your best Kept R/C Airplane Secrets?
Old 11-18-2004, 08:59 PM
tIANci

Default RE: BEST KEPT SECRETS IN RC AIRPLANES!!!!

I just got my Green Model Laser 200 (72" ), they manufacture for Pacific Aeromodels. How can you beat a big plane that costs only USD200. Good finish, well constructed, laser cut, great hardware ...
Old 11-18-2004, 09:25 PM
ckangaroo70

ORIGINAL: tIANci

I just got my Green Model Laser 200 (72" ), they manufacture for Pacific Aeromodels. How can you beat a big plane that costs only USD200. Good finish, well constructed, laser cut, great hardware ...
Where did you get a deal like that? I see that Plane sells for $320.00 on the Pacific Aeromodels website. Did you order online, or was that a local deal? Either way it seems like you found a great bargain!
Old 11-18-2004, 10:15 PM
tIANci

Its sold in Singapore as Green Model, shipping to you will not be worth it, come for a holiday and pick up something!!! I am going for the Edge 540 next!!! Yaaaahooooo!!!

http://www.jethobby.com.sg/cgi-bin/e...nk/manager.cgi

The exchange rate between USD and Singapore Dollars is about 1:2.5 or so.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:28 PM
ez2bgman
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tIANci,

My Mom and sister are leaving this weekend to go to the Phillipines for 2 weeks then they are headed to Singapore for 1 week. Do you think that it would be possible for them to pick one of these planes up and be able to take it back on the flight here to the U.S.?

These seem like an awesome deal and I would love to try to get hold of one of these, especially the Edge 540. I have an Edge 540 from Vectorflight on order and a Saito 120 awaiting it's place at the nose of it.

Getting hold of one of these planes for Green Model may be my ticket into the gas engine arena.

Thanks...
Old 11-18-2004, 10:40 PM
ckangaroo70

That new VectorFlight edge, and Saito 1.20 will give you plenty to drool over for awhile gary. I have kinda been keeping up with your story in the VectorFlight post, and hopefully you will get yours by the first or middle part of next week. You are really in for a treat I think.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:13 PM
ez2bgman

Thanks for the vote of confidence ck. I am anxiously awaiting for the plane to arrive. Check out my Edge 540 Building Tips thread. I just posted some of the upgrades that I purchased from my LHS today.

What size prop do you think I should go with? I was thinking of an APC 16x4W - 16x6. I am also toying with the idea of swinging a 3-blade. I know I have the power, but I am unsure of the performance loss, if any, a 3-blade would have.

Good luck and happy flying.
Old 11-18-2004, 11:33 PM
trroscoe
My Feedback: (39)

I too am a huge fan of the Vectorflight planes. I purchased mine because of what I read in the RCU posts. I will still say that the money I spent for my extra was the best I ever spent on any RC product. I have another favorite plane it is my 62 inch 1/4 scale Ultimate Biplane from www.conachenaircraft.com. Jim Conachen makes custom molded fiberglass kits and they are first rate. I didn't build it myself but got it from a flying buddy. I took one look at this plane and had to have it. This is the nicest plane that I have ever owned and I have owned alot of planes. The Conachen planes are not really afr's and require some building so all of you builders out there should take a look at them. Look at his site and go to the Ultimate 10-300 page. My plane is the red one on the bottom of the page. It really is a beautiful plane. The link to the site is not working so you have to type it in on your browser. Here is a picture of my ultimate.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30433.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	194327   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47734.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	194328  
Old 11-19-2004, 02:45 AM
tIANci

EZ - I am sure they can pick one up! Please note its not a gas plane, they call it 120 but its a 60 sized plane! A small gasser will shake the whole thing apart I suspect. The Gee Bee Y is good stuff from what I have seen on the net.

You got the contact ... the building is in Chinatown, everyone there will know the building. There are 4 RC shops there. 2 in the basement level (1 called NTC - GP, SIG, Supertigre, Hobbico; 1 called Singapore Hobby -OS, Pilot kits, Phoenix, EZ), 1 on ground floor (Jet Hobby) and another on 2nd floor (Hobby Shack - Saitos and carbon stuff).
Old 11-19-2004, 08:00 AM
ckangaroo70

ORIGINAL: ez2bgman

What size prop do you think I should go with? I was thinking of an APC 16x4W - 16x6. I am also toying with the idea of swinging a 3-blade.
Either of those props would work great I would think. The 16X4W might not benefit as much as the 16X6 though. If you were running the Saito 1.00 like I am, then I would say try the 16X4W to try for unlimited verticle. But with you running the 1.20 on your Plane, you are going to have loads of power to spare, and should just about be able to do whatever you want to do with the 16X6. Trying to find extra power is not going to be an issue for you. Still the 16X4 might still be fun to try.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:03 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: ez2bgman
My Mom and sister are leaving this weekend to go to the Phillipines for 2 weeks then they are headed to Singapore for 1 week. Do you think that it would be possible for them to pick one of these planes up and be able to take it back on the flight here to the U.S.?
Yes, quite possible. I was in Singapore for a few days this summer. Came back with a bundle of kits and one ARF. Also bought a bunch of engines, servos, and receivers. Figure I've got 3-4 years worth of building sitting in the shop.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:03 AM
ckangaroo70

Neat Plane Rick! Love the photos! Looks like a fun one to fly.
ckangaroo70
Old 11-19-2004, 09:51 AM
ez2bgman

piper,

Was it expensive to have everything shipped back here to the states? I talked to my Mom and she said it could be possible, depending on where they go. I think she said she was going to Singapore, Singapore. I will have to find out for sure.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:10 AM
ckangaroo70

Its sold in Singapore as Green Model, shipping to you will not be worth it, come for a holiday and pick up something!!!
I live in the midwest out in the middle of thousands of acres of corn! Going to town 20 miles away once a week to get groceries with my wife is about as far as I get from home, except for work which sometimes will take me me as far as 50 miles since I work construction, but Singapore is a little more than a 1/2 hour drive from where I live in central Illinois, so I don't see me making it there anytime soon. Guess I will be paying full price and then some if I want one of those birds. Nice to see you got a good deal though!
Old 11-19-2004, 11:28 AM
tIANci

CK - I am only half the world away!
Old 11-19-2004, 11:50 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Gary,
I didn't have the stuff shipped back, I brought it back. I knew I would be shopping during the trip, so I left with only one checked bag. This let me bring the kits back in a big bundle that qualified as the second bag.

I recently had Singapore Hobbies ship a kit (real kit, not ARF) to me. Shipping cost was $48 Singapore dollars. Total cost of the kit including shipping worked out to about $140 US, which wasn't bad because I saw the same kit sell on eBay this summer for $210.
Old 11-19-2004, 12:31 PM
Blueyonder
My Feedback: (3)

Another gem to mention is the TT Giles 202 140. It doesn't get a lot of press here on RCU, but it is sweeeet. Color scheme is excellent and quality so far is top notch.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:44 PM
ckangaroo70

ORIGINAL: Blueyonder

Another gem to mention is the TT Giles 202 140. It doesn't get a lot of press here on RCU, but it is sweeeet. Color scheme is excellent and quality so far is top notch.
This is good stuff to know! I have always liked the looks of the Giles, and have debated on buying one many times. I will have to check out your recommendation the next time I start debating on buying a Giles.Thanks
Old 11-19-2004, 02:10 PM
tIANci

CK - some LHS here got some China made Giles 1/4 scale, seems it was really ugly and some guy got one and recovered it. With an ST G2300 the plane had an AUW of about 10 lbs only! I tried it out nervously ... at 25% throttle she flew like a trainer. They had a few dead stick (engine was not run it at all) and landings were easy. Now if only I can get the name of the manufacturer ... plane cost about USD225 only.
Old 11-19-2004, 05:32 PM
kerrydel
My Feedback: (2)

Maybe it's this one. It's definitely ugly. [:'(]

[link=http://www.cmpairplane.com/new_page_13.htm]http://www.cmpairplane.com/new_page_13.htm[/link]

Kerry
Old 11-19-2004, 07:03 PM
ckangaroo70

ORIGINAL: kerrydel

Maybe it's this one. It's definitely ugly. [:'(]

[link=http://www.cmpairplane.com/new_page_13.htm]http://www.cmpairplane.com/new_page_13.htm[/link]

Kerry
That one ugly Plane! Where you fly at Kerry? There are several Clubs around Peoria isn't there. I know there is one in Pekin, but not sure where the others are over that way. I fly at the Spoon River Flyers Club in Maquon, which is not to far from you. About 30 minutes I would guess. I stopped in at the Hobby Shop in Pekin here a couple weeks back, and he really has a nice selection in there. I also hit the HobbyTown there at the Grand Prarie Mall every once in awhile, but the prices there are not quite as competitive as what I can buy stuff off the RC Corner Hobby Shop in Galesburg. I was also curious if you knew of any other shops over that way worth checking out. There used to be a little shop out on War Memorial right before you get to the Heights, but I am not sure if he still there or not. I helped to build the new Middle School there in Dunlap a few years back. A real nice community.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:05 PM
IowaSilvia
My Feedback: (97)

I picked up a Powerline Hobbies 23% Edge 540 ARF for $190.00. They had an over stock on them. Check them out at www.powerlinehobbies.com and look at the 23%. comes in red and the other one is blue and yellow. I got the blue and yellow one and it's really sharp. Good covering job and the structure on it is awesome. All laser cut wood and built up wings. No styrofoam crap. I puy a ST 2300 in it and it flies well with it, but no unlimitted verticle. I am putting a First Place 2.4 in her soon. That will be better I think.........
Old 11-20-2004, 02:43 AM
tIANci

Kerry ... please I know a CMPro when I see one! Hahahaa ... no it was not a CMPro. We got a lot of CMPro here in Malaysia.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:39 AM
alfa156

Its sold in Singapore as Green Model, shipping to you will not be worth it, come for a holiday and pick up something!!! I am going for the Edge 540 next!!! Yaaaahooooo!!!

http://www.jethobby.com.sg/cgi-bin/e...nk/manager.cgi

The exchange rate between USD and Singapore Dollars is about 1:2.5 or so.
Just popped over to JetHobby in Singapore last week. I was meet with some amazingly bad service!
After enquiring about his model, I commented it was a little expensive... comparing with his other models.
The guy in the shop was hot blooded and almost thug like, followed by asking me "then why am I holding onto his model" .... in a threatening manner![]

Luckily most of the other hobby shops in Singapore are more friendly.
Old 11-20-2004, 01:14 PM
tIANci

Alfa - a non HK chinese shopping in HK is treated with disdain too ... oh well. Yes ... Jet Hobby is not all that great in terms of service but the deals are pretty good. I have seen many good prices there ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.