Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

China Kote = GARBAGE!!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

China Kote = GARBAGE!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 06:36 PM
robert85614

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: China Kote = GARBAGE!!

Hello,
I bought a Nexstar Trainer in december. I have had an instructer with me on each of my 20 flights and have made 5 t/o and no landings. everyone loves my plane especilly me.
The covering is coming off! i have cleaned it with alchol, used heat gun, iron, ca thin , clear shipping tape, testors plastic, wood to metal, sealent, no sticking results. please help this born again flyer. I crashed my last control line model in 1957 and I am as thrilled with the products available today. Love it as much as when I was an 8 year old and my mom helped me build my first model from cardboard tissue and rubberbands.
All suggestions will be welcome.
Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80793.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	211914  
Old 01-07-2005, 06:59 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know the white is not Monokote for sure. someone at our field patched theirs with it and it doesn't match.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:04 PM
robert85614

Thank you for your quick response.
Got an idea for an adhesive for the repair?
Old 01-07-2005, 08:57 PM
mrbigg

desertpig would probaly know for sure. i'm guessing maybe balsarite (from Coverite) as an adhesive. it's usually used for coating the airframe before covering for better adhesion.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:00 PM
robert85614

Thanks for the tip. I will look for it in my hobby Store.
Old 01-07-2005, 09:11 PM
Dewey2
My Feedback: (24)

if its on a seam acetone will stick it down for good
Old 01-07-2005, 10:47 PM
blackbaron
My Feedback: (92)

I agree with Desetpig about the Ultracoat. I used to be a die-hard monokote fan and wouldn't ever think of using anything else. I bought some ultracoat to match my new Seagull Zero and I couldn't believe how much easier it is to apply. It shrinks alot easier and I can apply it over corners and stretch it without getting wrinkles. This is really hard to do with monokote. What I like best about ultracoat is the backing. It is so easy to remove. When you cut small pieces of monocote, not only is the backing difficult to remove but it is hard to tell which side needs to be peeled.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:56 AM
mrbigg

i agree on the backing . plus it's easier to draw your pattern on. i've used ultracoat on one plane and it seems to sag quite a bit and needs reshrinking every so often. i followed the directions on the roll, so i don't know if this is normal or not. it seems to need reshrunk alot more than monokote.
Old 01-08-2005, 11:21 AM
drumbum
My Feedback: (1)

Ive been using Monocoat since 1982 somewhere around the 90s they changed it ever so slightly to what it is today.. I still love it but it will not go around corners as EASy as it used to but still does yery good.. I used Ultracote once when Goldberg had the rights. and i used it once recently to repair where it is coming off my funtana... I like the way it shrinks and will go around corners but the stick leaves something to be desired.. If i build a plane i use balsarite. That is also what i used to get the ultracote to stick better
Old 01-08-2005, 03:18 PM
robert85614

Thank you!

Acetone (the wife's nail polish remover) did a great job.
ORIGINAL: prophanger1

if its on a seam acetone will stick it down for good
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj21912.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	212272  
Old 03-20-2005, 12:57 PM
DENNIS C
My Feedback: (99)

Boy you can say that again this covering "SUCKS" it seems like you cant do anything with this junk.

76-ta did you get your recovered yet
Old 03-20-2005, 08:01 PM
76.ta
My Feedback: (39)

bodymann ,
I got it ready to cover but I have been real busy with my RC business (H.P.Pilots)
So my planes have to wait.
Roy
www.hppilots.com

Old 03-21-2005, 11:09 AM
IronCross

This must be the junk that my Global Decathlon is covered with... It is garbage... Seems brittle, have a couple of splits where I guess the tail flexed... I tried patching it with Ultracote and as soon as the iron (set real low) touches it the stuff wrinkles up like a prune... I pulled a piece off and had a clear piece of plastic in my hand... All the color stayed stuck to the wood... This is a great flying plane but that covering is a real deal breaker for me...
Old 03-21-2005, 11:27 AM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

Yep.. that's China Kote. I will never buy another plane covered with it... I hope those who build ARFs are reading this!

DP
Old 03-21-2005, 12:36 PM
IronCross

ORIGINAL: desertpig

Yep.. that's China Kote. I will never buy another plane covered with it... I hope those who build ARFs are reading this!

DP
I won't either... The better ARF's still seem to be using Ultracote or Monokote fourtunatly.. Any feed back on the new WM covering yet ?...
Old 03-21-2005, 12:42 PM
76.ta
My Feedback: (39)

I have said this before and i will say it again. I would pay extra if I had the option of a plane covered in monokote instead of the cheap junk china coat. I expect this junk on an ARF of 100.00 or less. But if i spend any more money than that unless it has monokote I will not be purchasing it. I take that back. I won't buy any plane ever that has this cheap stuff on it.
$630.00 for a chip hyde double vision and it came with this crud.
I could of built a kit in all the time this stuff has cost me.
Roy
Old 03-21-2005, 12:44 PM
IronCross

Sure would not expect that stuff on a Chip Hyde plane would you.... Dang
Old 03-21-2005, 03:32 PM
famousdave

You really have to ask and demand to know what it is. There are more than few of the better suppliers that are putting this stuff on and when you call if they say "they think its ultracote" RED FLAG. They would know for sure what their planes are covered with. I got this line from BME. Now I will get it in writing in the email and when it comes with this crap I will get a refund.

If you are an average ARF person and don't care if your covering is not perfect, you may not care what its covered with. If you have built planes and want yours to look perfect every time it goes to the field like I do. you will absolutely hate it. If you like to customize - FORGET IT!

What really stinks about it is even if you want to by an ARF with this crap on it and strip it, it still is not a good option as the junk is so bad it literally takes hours and hours to remove it....

I guess I am stuck building my planes from now on!!
DP

Old 03-21-2005, 04:54 PM
IronCross

Unfortunatly even the "average" ARF flyer is going to have to do a repair sooner or later... Then the fun begins... What a pain...
Old 03-21-2005, 05:09 PM
DENNIS C

I hope chip reads this thread....but i dought it he barley read's his own forumn's but its a shame to pay this kind of money for an arf and you have to recover it. it really sucks.

I wish i would of know this before i got my D.V. Ijust hope the plane flys better then it looks.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:50 PM
famousdave

Let's not single out Chip's planes. BME, Planes Plus, Chief Aircraft and Aeroworks all have or still do use it.

Until we ALL send a clear message that we don't want cheap covering, they will continue to use it.
And that is where the problem lies.. us experienced guys must be the small minority.

It does not appear that many are complaining about it and ChinaKote is expanding in its use, not the other way around.

It will definitely send me back to the bench.
DP
Old 03-21-2005, 06:03 PM
DENNIS C

ORIGINAL: desertpig

Let's not single out Chip's planes. BME, Planes Plus, Chief Aircraft and Aeroworks all have or still do use it.

Until we ALL send a clear message that we don't want cheap covering, they will continue to use it.
And that is where the problem lies.. us experienced guys must be the small minority.

It does not appear that many are complaining about it and ChinaKote is expanding in its use, not the other way around.

It will definitely send me back to the bench.
DP
Opps ...........wasn't aware of planes plus and aero-works were using the same junk. yea i'll never buy another arf with this junk on it.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:15 PM
mrbigg

is the World Models covering the china kote? i see they are selling aerworks' ultimate with the same color scheme. looks kinda suspicious.............
Old 03-21-2005, 06:41 PM
famousdave

WM has used their own covering for years. I don't think it is UC or MK but from what others have told me its not bad and takes to shrinking quite well. Most all of the WM planes covering jobs I have seen looked very nice and were of pretty good quality - better than most arfs other than H9 or Kangke (both amongst the best) I have no direct experience with WM however as I don't fly glow any more so I can't tell you what's really on 'em.

I won't lump everything by PP or AW in there either. I have seen some AW planes covered in UC. I have only bought ARCs or Kits from them. I won't fly large (above 30%) planes without knowing whats under the covering first.

The best advice I can give anyone is ASK ASK ASK! to make sure you don't have it if you don't want it! A manufacturer is obligated to tell you the exact source of the covering - and the truth. There are other decent covering(s) out there but China Kote is certainly not one of them.

Don't be fooled! Out of the box it looks good, but get it near anything hot (like sun or a heat gun !) and it will soon be more wrinkled and look worse than old lady "Magda" in the movie "Something About Mary"...

DP
Old 03-21-2005, 08:58 PM
Smokey
My Feedback: (16)

According to the manual. The World Models ultimate is covered in Toughlon "Chinakote".

Smokey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.