Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

China Kote = GARBAGE!!

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

China Kote = GARBAGE!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2005, 08:59 PM
IronCross

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: China Kote = GARBAGE!!

I have several of the WM ARF's and they are all covered in Ultracote... Real nice covering on them... I have not purchased any of there ARF's however since they started selling there new covering.. Don't know what they are using now... I do know the covering on there new 69.00 ARF's sure looks good..
Old 03-22-2005, 06:27 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what about Goldberg's arf's now. they used to say "covered in Ultracote". now they say a "premium iron on covering".
Old 03-23-2005, 11:14 AM
IronCross

Good question on Goldberg.. Guess one could email them buth then they would probably charge 5 bucks to answer an email also... I was eyballing there new Station Wagon but with the 5 dollar charge for the manual and now the covering question guess I will move on.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:50 AM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

I saw a matrix at the field the other day... horrible covering job on it... all saggy and wrinkled. Probably china kote.

DP
Old 04-15-2005, 04:50 PM
ivansie

Hey DP,

I know you did a great custom job on the covering of the BME edge leaving some of the base colors. How is the white holding up?
I got a message from max saying the covering is, and quote: a combination of oracover and china cover...

I am planning also to do a custom job on the plane, leaving just the white base as a canvas. Did you have problems with the white and the removal of they ugly stock trimming? does the covering you are using to make your custom trim sticks well to the white?

Any input is welcomed. I was about to cancel the order when I started reading the covering was that bad and he confirmed it was the chinese stuff but since the price was ok at $399 I probably will give it a try.

Thanks
Old 04-23-2005, 07:36 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

i just seen an ad from Modeltech. they say they use Monkote on all their planes. never seen that mentioned before. maybe the're reading this thread and seeing that we want to know that our planes aren't covered in China Kote.
i had their lucky stick a while back. i thought it was a cheaper covering, but i never had a wrinkle or any problem with it. then again, i didn't have it but a couple of months.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:42 AM
Y N C

Well guys say what you want about china kote. I have a BME EDGE with the so call china kote that is in my heated house all winter, not a wrinkle.The SIG SUKHOI that is cover in Ultra kote is wrinkled. So buy what ever you want, and just quit bad mouthing China kote.As of now my BME EDGE looks alot better than the SIG SUKHOI.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:13 AM
IronCross

Wrinkles were never a problem.... Just wait, sitting in your house is not really the test... When you start flying it you will find out how brittle/weak it is... And when you try and patch it the real fun begins... Just wait
Old 04-24-2005, 11:20 AM
DENNIS C
My Feedback: (99)

LOL LOL...Take a iron to it and see what happens when you have a wrinkle
Old 04-24-2005, 11:53 AM
Y N C

Sitting inside a heated house in the canadian winter is a big test where the humidity is almost at 0% when all the wood dry out. It's going to wrinkle and sag for 6 month. Remeber these plane comes from a country where the humidity are at 100% just like where you live and might not be too bad. I had to recover the bottom of my BME EDGE becases they did'nt leave enougt over lap on the seam, no problem with using monokote to fix it, and i would say the covering is holding up nicely.

DENNIS C. Did'nt need to use my iron. No wrinkles on my BME EDGE
Old 08-23-2005, 10:30 AM
bdbd
My Feedback: (62)

Yep, Planes Plus uses this junk on the 27% extra. Blew off the striping on the main wing for the second time in two weeks. You can't seal this stuff down. The iron is usually too cool to seal or too hot and this stuff just wrinkles into oblivion. I have never seen covering just peel off a plane like someone just laid it on there hoping it would stay. I think it is monocote time.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:37 AM
ChicaWolverina

I was wondering how the covering on the Graupner ARFs compare with the rest, and what if you tried extending the life of the china-kotes per se with clear MonoKote strips over seams?
Old 04-04-2008, 11:14 AM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GP uses China Cote on some of there Advertised Monokote Covered Planes. Skybolt (bottom of wings Checkers), GP RV-4, Reactor. These planes are advertised as Covered in Monokote.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7325080/tm.htm

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.a...ake%2Cmonokote

Here are some pic's from the RV-4 thread.[X(] These are not my pic's, but my RV-4 along with my Buddies also have the same problem. Bax has beat around the bush since 10/07 about it. He has stated back last year that they would get to the bottom of it, but have done nothing about it.

Here is a reponce somebody else recieved from GP.

This has been going on for quite some time with GP arfs, here is a post from the Skybolt ARF thread.

RE: Super Skybolt ARF - 3/1/2007 6:49:39 PM
tomcraig

I'm sorry, but the checkerboard pattern on the bottom of the wing is not Monocot. In fact, it's actually a factory sourced covering that our overseas manufacturer put applied to the bottom wing. We don't carry the exact same checkerboard pattern material. If you need to make a repair you could use Monocot covering , cut the size of the damaged are or Top Flite Trim Sheets.

Attached Images    
Old 04-04-2008, 02:56 PM
Flyboy76
My Feedback: (14)

I just bought a world models Ultimate .40 and the covering is great. It had a couple of wrinkles when i got it and the heat gun and iron pulled them out nicely. I have flown it about 15 times now and it still looks great all the trim has stayed sealed and the covering has no new wrinkles.

Geoff
Old 04-04-2008, 03:37 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: Flyboy76

I just bought a world models Ultimate .40 and the covering is great. It had a couple of wrinkles when i got it and the heat gun and iron pulled them out nicely. I have flown it about 15 times now and it still looks great all the trim has stayed sealed and the covering has no new wrinkles.

Geoff
The WM covering WILL break down with glow fuel exposure, and the trim will come up.

Make sure that you seal it with something... I used TopFlite clear coat on mine.

My WM Ultimate 40S is approaching 200 flights... the trim became problematic after about 30.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:27 PM
yellerchamp
My Feedback: (42)

I ran across this thread and had to ad that I loved world model planes but since they started using toughlon, I wont buy anymore. Also the aerokote that sig uses is nothing more than saran wrap ( I am sure that somewhere it says glad on the covering) Anyway its a shame becasue the wm chippie is my favorite plane. Now when I look at the ad if it says anything like china kote or aero kote or toughlon I just move on. I know some day they all will be china kote, unless we stop buying thier crap. But I am getting better at covering ..
Old 04-04-2008, 06:21 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

YELLERCHANP,
You also have to be very carefull even when the manufacturer says that it is covered in something. Check out many problems associated with GP Saying that it is covered in Monokote, when it is not!