ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Matt Chapman cap 580 .40 size

Old 01-10-2005, 09:51 PM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Matt Chapman cap 580 .40 size

Who makes the knockoff? Are you speaking of the world models Cap that recently came out? I want one of these smaller ones by GP, but it seems heavy. Look forward to your report.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:58 PM
BlenderBender

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No there were two for sale earlier today with the same paint ball splotches but it didn't come with the pilot figure or the spinner. The add didn't say who the manufacter was and they didn't call it the matt chapman 580 they call it a cap 232..... I looked for the link but the auction is over

John
Old 01-10-2005, 10:03 PM
TOFAST4U2C
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I couldnt find it either.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:34 PM
Ace in the hole

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok, I got my radio gear in. I'm with you Blender, I was not real thrilled with the elevator set up either. But I went ahead with their instructions and it seems to be ok. I did have to move the elevator servo over a little because I had it too close to the rudder servo. I went to hook up the rudder and had to use a longer arm on the servo to get the 3" of throw they want each way. I worked on it for a while tonight and got all the throw set to the recommendations. All I have left is deciding what I want to do with the exhaust and balancing. Before I quit for the night I did a quick check for balance and right now it looks to be a little tail heavy. I will finish it up either tue. or wed. night and let you all know the final weight.

I could not find the knockoffs on ebay either, must have just missed it.

Jeff
Old 01-11-2005, 08:18 AM
BlenderBender

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

How did your cowling line up with the 82 on it?
Old 01-11-2005, 08:33 AM
Ace in the hole

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Take a look back at the pictures I posted, I only had to cut three holes. 1 for glow starter and 2 for the valve covers. Other than those it went pretty smooth. If yours ends up like mine as far as CG, I think you will be better off with the added weight of the 100.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:47 AM
BlenderBender

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I hope you are right on the CG I am using a Saito 100 mount and it sets the thrust washer a little farther back than the 5 3/16's they want so I am going to shim it out so the graphics line up on the cowl, there might not be to much spinner left when I cut out for the prop

John
Old 01-11-2005, 06:03 PM
Ace in the hole

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I was looking at finishing it up tonight and ran into a little snag. I didn't have the muffler on when I fit the cowl and now it looks like if I stay with the stock muffler I will have to cut 1 more hole. Not very big, just the tip of the muffler hits. I am debating if I want to do this or custom make an exhaust set up that I don't have to do any more cutting on the cowl. Hmmm- decisions, decisions.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:54 PM
Ken Bryant
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Slimline makes a nice pitts style muffler that I bet would look great!
Old 01-11-2005, 07:42 PM
BlenderBender

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Funny you should mention that Ken.... I was looking at one today with smoke... But I was thinking of putting it on my edge... but I will have enough power to put it in the cap too

John
Old 01-11-2005, 07:48 PM
TOFAST4U2C

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I found that look alike cap on ebay. The item number is 5949057481.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:07 AM
BlenderBender

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yep thats the one... It does come with a spinner but no pilot... and you have to put the decals on I see.

John
Old 01-12-2005, 04:47 PM
BlenderBender

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Jeff .... Well I am getting a complex here are you and me the only ones working on this bird?? haha I am trying to get a good jump tonight still shooting for this weekend.

John
Old 01-12-2005, 05:00 PM
scaleMan
My Feedback: (92)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have one as well... I built it last weekend and am waiting for some good weather to fly it... has a 61fx(fully cowled) with brisson pitts all 3151s. Ill post pics and a summary on how things go after I get to fly it.... Its a cool plane, but im thinking it will be a missile on landings... we'll see... Good luck with your own builds.

scaleman
Old 01-12-2005, 05:33 PM
4Runner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm will be ordering this ARF before month end. Has anyone put an O.S. FS-91 II Surpass on this plane? Do you think it will fit under the cowl? Thanks.

[:-] FIRST POST!!!!!
Old 01-12-2005, 07:04 PM
BlenderBender

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well Ace is puttting a Saito 82 on his and I am trying hahaha to get a Saito 100 on mine due to the weight.

John
Old 01-12-2005, 08:18 PM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Depending on fridays paycheck, I will order it friday. Since we have had a few snow storms in new england, I have gotten a little extra overtime in.

Sean
Old 01-12-2005, 09:21 PM
Ace in the hole

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's nice to hear that John and I aren't the only two people working on this plane. I decided to try my hand at a custom exhaust so I don't have to cut any more holes in the cowl. I can always go back to the stock muffler if it doesn't work out.

I made my exhaust and fired the 82 up for the fist time tonight. I think it will work. I ran a tank full of fuel through it nice and easy to break in the motor and all seems great-- and the cowl fits perfect too. I'm happy so far. This just leaves me with a few more details ( decals and such ) and balancing and I'll be ready.

They say it's going to get real cold here for the next week, highs this weekend only around 10°, so I'm not sure when I'll get her in the air.

Jeff
Old 01-13-2005, 08:16 AM
BlenderBender

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That is good to hear Jeff...about the plane not the cold weather.....They are calling for rain here this weekend so I'm not sure if I will be able to get mine in the air either...maybe we will get a break on Sunday. I will say that the instructions for the tail wheel are kinda messed up as far as where to bend it... I am glad I checked it out before I just bent it accoring to the manual. I am starting on the engine and radio tonight still wondering about the 100 fitting ok but i guess we will see.

John
Old 01-13-2005, 09:07 AM
Ace in the hole

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well I'm set, I had a little time this morning and finished it up. I had to move the receiver and battery as far forward as possible but it is balanced and ready for flight. The final weight is not as good as I first thought, it weighs in now at 6 lbs. 10 oz. I am trying to figure out just what made the difference. I am trying to remember if when I first weighed it I had the battery on the scale too. I don't recall. Anyway, I am ready now, just waiting for good weather.

Hope yours goes well John.

Jeff
Old 01-13-2005, 09:54 AM
cadconversions
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Glad to see you guys are getting your about ready. I'm starting mine soon. Ordered it the first day but had to finish a couple of other planes first. I'm going .61FX but I'm mounting it inverted instead of the side. Probably get a remote glow as well or a glow driver. One or the other. Got an inverted Slimline muffler with pressure tap. A couple of fuel dots to use for fueling and I'm set.

Other than the tail wheel mentioned above, is there anything else to watch out for?
Old 01-13-2005, 11:19 AM
BlenderBender

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Everything else was pretty right on track with the manual... we were both not to thrilled with the elevator push rod setupI havent done mine yet to see how it is only plus side is easy to make adjustments. I will let you know after I slam the Saito 100 on it

John
Old 01-14-2005, 09:33 AM
BlenderBender

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OK... here it is Friday Morning and I fitted the Saito 100 on last night.... after looking at it I decided to invert the engine for the best fit and the best alignment on the engine box. In doing so it opened up a hole new can of worms... to use the stock exhaust and cut a hole in the side of the cowl or order a slimline inverted pitts muffler? The pitts would look a lot sharper than haveing the the hole in the side of the cowl. I think I am going to replace the tail wheel also... It just doesn't look like it will hold up to me.

Jeff what size prop are you going to try on the 82? Oh it has been raining most of the night and they are saying more for Sat and Sun... even if I decide on the exhaust ......the maiden isn't looking good at this point.

John
Old 01-14-2005, 12:22 PM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Alright everyone. Just got back from the hobby shop and I got my cap 580. I am thoroughly amazed at the whole quality of the plane! Especially the big beautiful cowling. I am putting the OS .70 surpass on it, we'll see how it does.

Sean
Old 01-14-2005, 12:50 PM
Ace in the hole

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Right now I have a top flight power point 14-8 on it. I put it on to help break it in, keeping the rpm's down. When I fly it I think I will start with a 13-8 or a 13-6 and see how it goes from there.

So you got the 100 on it, how's it look for the cowl? a lot of cutting to do for the valve covers & head?

I am experimenting with my exhaust right now. I don't have a lot more money to spend right now, so I custom made an exhaust out of some chrome plated tubing I had. I drilled and tapped it for the stock fitting from the muffler for the pressure tap. All you see is a couple of inches of the tubing sticking out the bottom where the cowl is already cut away. No muffler, just a strait exhaust. I was worried about the noise, but it turns out its not all that much louder if any at all. I am going to run a couple of tanks through it this way and see how it goes.

One other thing I replaced was the nylon wing bolts. I only use metal now since last flying season. One of my buddies had both the heads of his snap off in mid air! The wing separated and fluttered down to the ground while the fuse became a missile, and it was only 4th or 5th flight with the plane! Both of the studs were still screwed into the mount of the fuse (we could tell from the 200 pieces we picked up ) just the heads snapped off. After that, its only metal 1/4-20 's for me.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service